Is the Big Dog Back?

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Is the Big Dog Back?

Postby HockeyDaddy on Fri Apr 27, 2012 2:14 pm

Lost in the disaster that was the first round of the playoffs is any discussion of Eric Tangradi. Although he saw limited minutes, I was impressed with his play in the series. The Big Dog has been ripped for his speed, and he was unable to get on the board this year, but I get a sense that maybe the disdain that this board held for him has dissipated a bit.

Moving forward, Tangradi does possess size and a bit of skill that could make him one of those "hard to play against" bottom six players that the Penguins need. Maybe Tangradi isn't going to develop into a top 6 forward. I thought that he had to do so to survive in this league, but this series may have helped prove that he can be effective in a lesser role.
HockeyDaddy
AHL'er
AHL'er

Re: Is the Big Dog Back?

Postby Malkamaniac on Fri Apr 27, 2012 2:17 pm

I think Tangradi makes the team next year and people are surprised. He was coming around at the end of this year and held his own in the play-offs.
Malkamaniac
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby columbia on Fri Apr 27, 2012 2:23 pm

He certainly has AHL skill, but we've seen little to indicate that it translates to the NHL.

Having said that, he seemed to finally get it, in terms of what his role is on a 4th line and what is required of him. I hope to see him continue to improve next year.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Location: If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu.

Postby the riddler on Fri Apr 27, 2012 2:25 pm

I think he has a lot of potential. He really doesn't fit Bylsma's system but he does seem to be a guy that is difficult to be moved off the puck. I can't see him being a consistent top 6 player ever but he is a different type of player the Penguins could use throughout the lineup.
the riddler
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Gaucho on Fri Apr 27, 2012 2:25 pm

I expect him to be on the opening day roster.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby columbia on Fri Apr 27, 2012 2:34 pm

Gaucho wrote:I expect him to be on the opening day roster.

If he continues this improvement in camp....sure.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Malkamaniac on Fri Apr 27, 2012 2:38 pm

I expect him to replace Tyler Kennedy on the third line and TK gets traded because of it.
Malkamaniac
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby steelhammer on Fri Apr 27, 2012 2:40 pm

Pass. He was worthless all season. The game moves too fast at the NHL-level for him to thrive.
steelhammer
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby guiner on Fri Apr 27, 2012 2:46 pm

Malkamaniac wrote:I expect him to replace Tyler Kennedy on the third line and TK gets traded because of it.

I always expect delusional posts on LGP.com
guiner
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby columbia on Fri Apr 27, 2012 2:56 pm

Malkamaniac wrote:I expect him to replace Tyler Kennedy on the third line and TK gets traded because of it.

Even I can't agree with that. :pop:
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby penny lane on Fri Apr 27, 2012 2:58 pm

A scoring winger who doesn't display his scoring touch at all; I can't see it all happening within a year.
Pens need speed on the 3rd/4th lines.
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby HockeyDaddy on Fri Apr 27, 2012 2:58 pm

steelhammer wrote:Pass. He was worthless all season. The game moves too fast at the NHL-level for him to thrive.

If the NHL continues the trend to move more towards the clutch-grad style, Tangradi is a guy that could "thrive". My expectations of him have been revised, but I think that working the fourth line with spot duty on the third is realistic for him. He could be a great asset to the Pens in that position if he accepts that role.
HockeyDaddy
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Kaizer on Fri Apr 27, 2012 3:07 pm

is he back? when was he ever "there" to begin with?
Kaizer
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby sil on Fri Apr 27, 2012 3:11 pm

I don't know what's funnier. Someone still calling Tangradi a 'scoring winger,' or the fact that we invented that title for him ourselves. Shero did not ask for Tangradi in the trade so that he'd eventually come in here and score 30 goals...that's just never been his type of game. Tangradi is a corner and net-front player with some highly underappreciated defensive skill.
sil
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Malkamaniac on Fri Apr 27, 2012 3:17 pm

columbia wrote:

Even I can't agree with that. :pop:

One can dream.
Malkamaniac
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby columbia on Fri Apr 27, 2012 3:18 pm

sil wrote:I don't know what's funnier. Someone still calling Tangradi a 'scoring winger,' or the fact that we invented that title for him ourselves. Shero did not ask for Tangradi in the trade so that he'd eventually come in here and score 30 goals...that's just never been his type of game. Tangradi is a corner and net-front player with some highly underappreciated defensive skill.

Incorrectly getting penciled into the top 6 faster than Janne Pesonen didn't help his reputation. :)
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby offsides on Fri Apr 27, 2012 3:18 pm

Kaizer wrote:is he back? when was he ever "there" to begin with?

This. If we plan on relying on ET for contributing anything substantial to this hockey club next year, we are in trouble. On the bright side, he isn't much of a cap hit but then again you usually get what you pay for.

Hopefully he can prove me wrong, but I just don't see it.
offsides
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Malkamaniac on Fri Apr 27, 2012 3:18 pm

guiner wrote:

I always expect delusional posts on LGP.com

Looking through your posts it's easy to see why you'd respond.
Malkamaniac
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Pavel Bure on Fri Apr 27, 2012 3:21 pm

Re-sign him for 600k and be done with it.
Pavel Bure
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby columbia on Fri Apr 27, 2012 3:25 pm

This is not an endorsement, but he played in every game of their big winning streak this year.

Spoiler:
He failed to register a point and I know that because I took him in PaP in each game.....Mainly to keep the juju rolling.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Malkamaniac on Fri Apr 27, 2012 3:29 pm

columbia wrote:This is not an endorsement, but he played in every game of their big winning streak this year.

Spoiler:
He failed to register a point and I know that because I took him in PaP in each game.....Mainly to keep the juju rolling.

He is not as bad as everyone thinks he is. He's serviceable I suppose. I'd hate to see him get traded at this point however. He's got about one year left on my faith cycle.
Malkamaniac
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby columbia on Fri Apr 27, 2012 3:32 pm

Malkamaniac wrote:
columbia wrote:This is not an endorsement, but he played in every game of their big winning streak this year.

Spoiler:

He is not as bad as everyone thinks he is. He's serviceable I suppose. I'd hate to see him get traded at this point however. He's got about one year left on my faith cycle.

After watching his late season "surge" (and that's relative to his past performance), I think it's less of an issue of him being bad and more of an issue of him maybe being functional. I'd like to see it happen, but my expectations are not high.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Malkamaniac on Fri Apr 27, 2012 3:34 pm

columbia wrote:
Malkamaniac wrote:

Spoiler:

After watching his late season "surge" (and that's relative to his past performance), I think it's less of an issue of him being bad and more of an issue of him maybe being functional. I'd like to see it happen, but my expectations are not high.

I've always held the belief that he would benefit in a different system. I suppose Shero should have known that considering I think they already implemented their current system before even bringing him over.
Malkamaniac
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby thepittman on Fri Apr 27, 2012 3:41 pm

He never got any real ice time, so hard to tell
thepittman
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Streaks House on Fri Apr 27, 2012 3:50 pm

Game 4 & 5 was probably the best I've seen him in a Pens uniform. He delivered some pretty big checks against some bigger players like Kubina. At least he's figured out how to use his size, if anything. Can't teach 6'4" 225.
Streaks House
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Next

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins