Is the Big Dog Back?

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Is the Big Dog Back?

Postby jeffshly on Fri Apr 27, 2012 3:52 pm

I saw flashes from Tangradi while he played on a line with Crosby. This was the result of the Pens dressing seven defensemen and Crosby taking shifts with the fourth line. I'm of the belief that Tangradi has Alexei Morozov Syndrome. In other words, if you put a guy on the third or fourth line, he's going to play like a third- of fourth-liner. I think that Tangradi, if given the opportunity, could be a good complimentary player on the top two lines. I don't think he'll ever be an incredible playmaker or scorer, but I'd love for him to get the opportunity to become a Mike Knuble-type of player where he'll give the Pens a big, strong, net-front presence with the hands to score the dirty goals from in front. I think he has the physical tools to be that, but I question whether he has the intestinal fortitude required to match the physical skills.

Either way, I think 2012-13 will be a make-or-break year for him.
jeffshly
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby pugilist13 on Fri Apr 27, 2012 3:54 pm

Probably...What else is there? Unless a deal is made, the cupboard is bare up front.
Last edited by pugilist13 on Fri Apr 27, 2012 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pugilist13
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby columbia on Fri Apr 27, 2012 3:55 pm

re: his hands

That's one part that I just don't see happening at the NHL level, despite the WBS goals that have been posted here.
One can kibitz over role and minutes, but he has exactly 1 G in 40 NHL regular season games. That doesn't bode well.

Mike Rupp had 5 goals in his first 26 games (and 11 in his first 77).
Tangradi is tracking a lot closer to Ryan Stone (0 in 35 games) and Tim Wallace (3 in 73) in that department.
Last edited by columbia on Fri Apr 27, 2012 4:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby SolidSnake on Fri Apr 27, 2012 4:07 pm

If the clutching and grabbing continues then yes I expect Tangradi to feature next season.
SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Gaucho on Fri Apr 27, 2012 4:36 pm

columbia wrote:This is not an endorsement, but he played in every game of their big winning streak this year.

Spoiler:
He failed to register a point and I know that because I took him in PaP in each game.....Mainly to keep the juju rolling.

The only time I picked him was the one game in the regular season when he picked up an assist. Probably my biggest accomplishment ever.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby offsides on Fri Apr 27, 2012 4:58 pm

SolidSnake wrote:If the clutching and grabbing continues then yes I expect Tangradi to feature next season.

I fully expect the clutching and grapping to continue, but featuring Tangradi is not in any expectations I currently have. That being said, I also expected to go to the Eastern Conference finals.
offsides
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby darkstar57 on Fri Apr 27, 2012 5:29 pm

I was actually surprised that Tandradi was bumped for Vitale in game 6. I dont know if DB thought we need a Pker or something who knows. But i thought Tangradi played well during the season and seemed motivated to beat his childhood team.

That being sad, this last stretch of game Trangradi played made me believe he is ready to be given a shot. I thought he looked particularly well with Staal.
darkstar57
AHL'er
AHL'er

Location: A flute with no holes, is not a flute. A donut with no hole, is a Danish

Postby Sarcastic on Fri Apr 27, 2012 5:49 pm

Not sure what to do with him. He doesn't strike me as a guy who would start contributing offensively, but he's big and we need that. Then again, he's not an intimidating player either. I probably look to see what's on the FA market and decide from there.
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby sil on Fri Apr 27, 2012 6:00 pm

if you're going to play a possession game in the other team's end...Tangradi can help out. if you're going to trap and play a defensively focused game...Tangradi can help out. if you're going to run and gun and transition fast, Tangradi won't do a whole lot for you.
sil
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Froggy on Fri Apr 27, 2012 7:30 pm

he's a turd. package him with our 1st rounder to move up in the draft this year.
Froggy
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby guiner on Fri Apr 27, 2012 7:46 pm

Malkamaniac wrote:
guiner wrote:
Malkamaniac wrote:I expect him to replace Tyler Kennedy on the third line and TK gets traded because of it.

I always expect delusional posts on LGP.com

Looking through your posts it's easy to see why you'd respond.

Yes, playoff statistics.

Tyler Kennedy - 6 games - 3 goals, 3 assists
Eric Tangradi - 2 games - 1 assist, touched puck 4 times.
guiner
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby guiner on Fri Apr 27, 2012 7:49 pm

Froggy wrote:he's a turd.

QFT
guiner
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby knives of ice on Fri Apr 27, 2012 7:57 pm

jeffshly wrote:I saw flashes from Tangradi while he played on a line with Crosby. This was the result of the Pens dressing seven defensemen and Crosby taking shifts with the fourth line. I'm of the belief that Tangradi has Alexei Morozov Syndrome. In other words, if you put a guy on the third or fourth line, he's going to play like a third- of fourth-liner. I think that Tangradi, if given the opportunity, could be a good complimentary player on the top two lines. I don't think he'll ever be an incredible playmaker or scorer, but I'd love for him to get the opportunity to become a Mike Knuble-type of player where he'll give the Pens a big, strong, net-front presence with the hands to score the dirty goals from in front. I think he has the physical tools to be that, but I question whether he has the intestinal fortitude required to match the physical skills.

Either way, I think 2012-13 will be a make-or-break year for him.

do people seriously think he hasn't had an opportunity on the top two lines over the last two years? he has had it for multiple games and done jack squat with it. he has shown absolutely nothing over the past two years in his time in pittsburgh. he has had good minutes on the top two lines and done nothing. he doesn't need to play there for half a season to see a glimmer to know he could play there - we haven't even seen a glimmer of him being a top two line player

now, if he is going to finally use his big body like he did in the playoffs there is a chance he could be a 3rd/4th line player.

that being said, there is not a penguins prospect in recent memory given more opportunities and doing nothing with these opportunities than tangradi.

i have no idea how or why Dustin Jeffrey got in DB's doghouse this year or what the problem was. the dude scores 4 goals and big goals mind you in a 15 game span and he basically sits the rest of the year. baffled as to what happened to him at least he has shown over the past two years some big upside and the ability to score goals.
knives of ice
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Froggy on Fri Apr 27, 2012 8:08 pm

jeffrey... also a turd
Froggy
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Rylan on Fri Apr 27, 2012 8:18 pm

Froggy wrote:jeffrey... also a turd

WATCH YOUR MOUTH SIR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby offsides on Fri Apr 27, 2012 8:20 pm

knives of ice wrote:
that being said, there is not a penguins prospect in recent memory given more opportunities and doing nothing with these opportunities than tangradi.

Chris Bourque? :pop:
offsides
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby wondermoose on Fri Apr 27, 2012 9:17 pm

If you can't see a player's potential on a line with Craig Adams, that offensive juggernaut, then he's probably a bust!
wondermoose
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby wondermoose on Fri Apr 27, 2012 9:20 pm

knives of ice wrote:

Not saying you're not right about him having ample opportunity, but no coach ought to expect results on offense if you're going to bury him on a line with Adams and Park and whoever else. Sure, it would have been nice to see him generate some offense down there, but that's not his game. That's not a power forward's game.
wondermoose
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby knives of ice on Fri Apr 27, 2012 10:24 pm

wondermoose wrote:
knives of ice wrote:

Not saying you're not right about him having ample opportunity, but no coach ought to expect results on offense if you're going to bury him on a line with Adams and Park and whoever else. Sure, it would have been nice to see him generate some offense down there, but that's not his game. That's not a power forward's game.

He played on the top two lines multiple games over the past two years and did nothing. He always started on the top two and forced DB to move him down because he usually did nothing and brought the whole line down.

also, concerning Bourque in my head i don't technically count him because the Pens were initially worried about sending him down and him being immediately claimed, which is what did happen as soon as they sent him down. no doubt if that wasn't a possibility since he was a waiver claim he would have been sent down much earlier.

concerning Jeffrey the only thing i can think of as to how he got in DB's doghouse is maybe not being as defensively responsible as he should, but that could be said about many on the team. he has scored some very skillful goals in his two years here and fought through injuries. the OT goal he scored against Boston to win the game last year was a great goal. his two goal game this year showed alot of promise as well. I really thought he could minimally center the third line if they went through with the initial plan of Staal playing wing with Geno. There are reports that Jeffrey and his agents don't know what happened with him either and will have a meeting with Shero soon to possibly request a trade.
knives of ice
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Froggy on Sat Apr 28, 2012 1:09 am

i understand the argument that he wasn't playing on a scoring line. and i agree that this is a factor when forming expectations. but he did almost literally nothing. he has 5 points in 40 career games. that's about half the pace that the offensively inept craig adams was putting up, who was supposedly hindering him.

i'm not expecting him to put up james neal numbers playing on the 4th line, but he shouldn't be literally the worst offensive player on the team. i am not sure what about him, other than the fact he was obtained in a big trade, makes people think he deserves to play on a scoring line, or even is capable of playing on a scoring line.
Froggy
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Guinness on Sat Apr 28, 2012 6:31 am

He should ask James Neal if he could hang out with him and Mr. Roberts this summer.
Guinness
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Luckybreak on Sat Apr 28, 2012 10:11 am

knives of ice wrote:
wondermoose wrote:
knives of ice wrote:

He played on the top two lines multiple games over the past two years and did nothing. He always started on the top two and forced DB to move him down because he usually did nothing and brought the whole line down.

also, concerning Bourque in my head i don't technically count him because the Pens were initially worried about sending him down and him being immediately claimed, which is what did happen as soon as they sent him down. no doubt if that wasn't a possibility since he was a waiver claim he would have been sent down much earlier.

concerning Jeffrey the only thing i can think of as to how he got in DB's doghouse is maybe not being as defensively responsible as he should, but that could be said about many on the team. he has scored some very skillful goals in his two years here and fought through injuries. the OT goal he scored against Boston to win the game last year was a great goal. his two goal game this year showed alot of promise as well. I really thought he could minimally center the third line if they went through with the initial plan of Staal playing wing with Geno. There are reports that Jeffrey and his agents don't know what happened with him either and will have a meeting with Shero soon to possibly request a trade.

I always argued that he deserved top line time to bring out his best. Whilst I still argue he has not really received this, he has done little in terms of 'power forward scoring'. What he has shown is power forward checking and a high level of energy that seems to have a positive effect on the team when he is in the line up. I'm very happy with keeping him on the 4th for cheap and seeing if he could possibly move to 3rd with implementation of a modified system.

Jeffrey looked well off his game following the injury yet he still scored goals and would serve as a better TK replacement. If Staal moves to wing I would prefer acquiring a Gaustad/Stoll anchor and filling out the wing with a cheap guy like Jeffrey.

It is not so much faith in the abilities of Tangradi or Jeffrey to do anything remarkable but I would rather see money spent on improvements to the D.
Luckybreak
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby shmenguin on Sat Apr 28, 2012 10:14 am

Didn't Jeffery only score in 2 games? I wouldn't say that he "still scored goals". There was nothing about his game this year that was adequate. He was a failure at pretty much all levels.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Guinness on Sat Apr 28, 2012 10:18 am

I sure hope that improving the D doesn't require MORE money be spent.
Guinness
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby offsides on Sat Apr 28, 2012 10:24 am

shmenguin wrote:Didn't Jeffery only score in 2 games? I wouldn't say that he "still scored goals". There was nothing about his game this year that was adequate. He was a failure at pretty much all levels.

Yep. If Tangradi and Jeffrey are to be relied upon next year for much of anything, I am more than a little worried.
offsides
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins