Is the Big Dog Back?

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Is the Big Dog Back?

Postby Luckybreak on Sat Apr 28, 2012 11:22 am

offsides wrote:
shmenguin wrote:Didn't Jeffery only score in 2 games? I wouldn't say that he "still scored goals". There was nothing about his game this year that was adequate. He was a failure at pretty much all levels.

Yep. If Tangradi and Jeffrey are to be relied upon next year for much of anything, I am more than a little worried.

I was alluding to the fact he was able to score despite being distinctly off his game due to returning too soon from injury, and the potential should he regain form. I was also contrasting Tangradi and Jeffrey's offensive contributions during their respective time and suggesting Jeffrey may be better suited to 3rd than 4th line duty.
At the end of the day scoring was not the issue, the defense, system and mindset need fixing. I would prefer not to rely on Tangradi or Jeffrey, but if Staal moves to wing we need every available $ to fill the void left behind, not to mention hopefully replacing one/both of M+M.
Luckybreak
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby largegarlic on Sat Apr 28, 2012 4:57 pm

I think Tangradi did show some potential to be an effective 4th-liner--hitting d-men, getting the puck deep, and cycling behind the net. That's about my expectation of his ceiling at this point.

With regards to Jeffrey, I wonder if he still isn't 100% back from his knee injury. Lots of pro athletes seem to take a full year of playing to really get back to the level they were at prior to their injury. Jeffrey just didn't look anywhere near as dynamic this year compared to last year (outside of a couple games).
largegarlic
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Rylan on Sat Apr 28, 2012 5:03 pm

I am sad for DJ. I really don't think he will ever return to form. Its a tough pill to swallow but it just doesn't appear he has that jump anymore.

As for ET, they tinkered with his game too much. He was not a power forward, just a good forward in a big body. They changed how he was used to playing and in my opinion it shows. Plus, he has Jan Hrdina syndrome which means pass the puck to the best player on your line instead of shooting symptoms. But aside from that, when he played with Crosby, he actually looked comfortable.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Malkamaniac on Sat Apr 28, 2012 6:36 pm

guiner wrote:
Malkamaniac wrote:
guiner wrote:
Malkamaniac wrote:I expect him to replace Tyler Kennedy on the third line and TK gets traded because of it.

I always expect delusional posts on LGP.com

Looking through your posts it's easy to see why you'd respond.

Yes, playoff statistics.

Tyler Kennedy - 6 games - 3 goals, 3 assists
Eric Tangradi - 2 games - 1 assist, touched puck 4 times.

So sewwwious
Malkamaniac
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Sat Apr 28, 2012 10:52 pm

Malkamaniac wrote:
guiner wrote:
Malkamaniac wrote:
guiner wrote:
Malkamaniac wrote:I expect him to replace Tyler Kennedy on the third line and TK gets traded because of it.

I always expect delusional posts on LGP.com

Looking through your posts it's easy to see why you'd respond.

Yes, playoff statistics.

Tyler Kennedy - 6 games - 3 goals, 3 assists
Eric Tangradi - 2 games - 1 assist, touched puck 4 times.

So sewwwious

Tyler Kennedy has played a hell of a lot more playoff games than 6. 22 points in 67 games. By this flawless logic, Tangradi makes Kennedy look like a joke. In reality, I want neither on my team. One is a 5'10 player that belongs on a 3rd/4th line but doesn't realize he should be dumping the puck and grinding it out and instead likes to fire wide and around the boards and create breakout plays for the opposition and the other is unable to play in the NHL.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby SolidSnake on Sun Apr 29, 2012 12:08 pm

I think he ment, the 6 games Kennedy played this series. Not lifetime.
SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby tfrizz on Sun Apr 29, 2012 10:14 pm

HockeyDaddy wrote:
steelhammer wrote:Pass. He was worthless all season. The game moves too fast at the NHL-level for him to thrive.

If the NHL continues the trend to move more towards the clutch-grad style, Tangradi is a guy that could "thrive". My expectations of him have been revised, but I think that working the fourth line with spot duty on the third is realistic for him. He could be a great asset to the Pens in that position if he accepts that role.

Look at how NJ has used Steve Bernier for a great example. He's playing hard on the 4th line, and they're giving him PP time because he's a big body with good hands. Those seem like pretty realistic expectations of what Tangradi could do.
tfrizz
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby tfrizz on Sun Apr 29, 2012 10:19 pm

Guinness wrote:He should ask James Neal if he could hang out with him and Mr. Roberts this summer.

:thumb:
tfrizz
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby tfrizz on Sun Apr 29, 2012 10:21 pm

offsides wrote:
shmenguin wrote:Didn't Jeffery only score in 2 games? I wouldn't say that he "still scored goals". There was nothing about his game this year that was adequate. He was a failure at pretty much all levels.

Yep. If Tangradi and Jeffrey are to be relied upon next year for much of anything, I am more than a little worried.

That's what happens when you have almost 1/2 the salary cap tied up in 5 forwards, and about another 1/4 tied up in 4 defensemen.
tfrizz
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby darkstar57 on Mon Apr 30, 2012 8:53 am

tfrizz wrote:
HockeyDaddy wrote:
steelhammer wrote:Pass. He was worthless all season. The game moves too fast at the NHL-level for him to thrive.

If the NHL continues the trend to move more towards the clutch-grad style, Tangradi is a guy that could "thrive". My expectations of him have been revised, but I think that working the fourth line with spot duty on the third is realistic for him. He could be a great asset to the Pens in that position if he accepts that role.

Look at how NJ has used Steve Bernier for a great example. He's playing hard on the 4th line, and they're giving him PP time because he's a big body with good hands. Those seem like pretty realistic expectations of what Tangradi could do.

I watch a lot of devils games living in NJ, this is a :thumb: post.
darkstar57
AHL'er
AHL'er

Location: A flute with no holes, is not a flute. A donut with no hole, is a Danish

Postby DelPen on Mon Apr 30, 2012 9:04 am

You aren't going to find a cheaper 4th liner in free agency. Mike Rupp by all means was considered a bust as a 1st rounder. But he changed his game and is one of the best players to have on your team. Tangradi could become that kind of player.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby sil on Mon Apr 30, 2012 10:52 am

DelPen wrote:You aren't going to find a cheaper 4th liner in free agency. Mike Rupp by all means was considered a bust as a 1st rounder. But he changed his game and is one of the best players to have on your team. Tangradi could become that kind of player.

Tangradi has qualities in his game right now that are beneficial. He certainly lacks speed, but he can still really help a forecheck and can play competently in the defensive zone. Based on what I've seen, I would be surprised if he wasn't on the 4th line opening night.
sil
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Pavel Bure on Mon Apr 30, 2012 10:59 am

sil wrote:
DelPen wrote:You aren't going to find a cheaper 4th liner in free agency. Mike Rupp by all means was considered a bust as a 1st rounder. But he changed his game and is one of the best players to have on your team. Tangradi could become that kind of player.

Tangradi has qualities in his game right now that are beneficial. He certainly lacks speed, but he can still really help a forecheck and can play competently in the defensive zone. Based on what I've seen, I would be surprised if he wasn't on the 4th line opening night.

I would be. He's not very fast, he doesn't hit/work in the corners very much, he gets muscled off the puck quite a bit, he's not very defensively responsible. Unless he makes major changes to his game he won't be a 4th line player, it's really up to him. It's quite clear right now he can't stick in the NHL on his skill and he will have to change his game to better his skating, increase his physicality, and increase his defensive awareness to have any chance at an NHL career.
Pavel Bure
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby offsides on Mon Apr 30, 2012 11:06 am

Pavel Bure wrote:
sil wrote:

I would be. He's not very fast, he doesn't hit/work in the corners very much, he gets muscled off the puck quite a bit, he's not very defensively responsible. Unless he makes major changes to his game he won't be a 4th line player, it's really up to him. It's quite clear right now he can't stick in the NHL on his skill and he will have to change his game to better his skating, increase his physicality, and increase his defensive awareness to have any chance at an NHL career.

We seem to be in the minority PB, but I see it the way you do. He is going to have to make big improvements in his game to stick in the NHL, even on just the fourth line.
offsides
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Penspal on Mon Apr 30, 2012 11:20 am

Is the bloom gone from the Big Dog's Rose - Yes
Could he still refine his game - Yes (He had a really good chance to get 2-3 goals this year, no puck luck)

However, all expectations of him being a 1st or 2nd line player are sadly simply not supportable by NHL facts and his history. I'll gladly eat CROW if he can turn it around, but I suspect an AHL season with some spot 3rd / 4th line NHL duty until his contract expires or he is traded.
Penspal
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby tfrizz on Mon Apr 30, 2012 11:25 am

Penspal wrote:Is the bloom gone from the Big Dog's Rose - Yes
Could he still refine his game - Yes (He had a really good chance to get 2-3 goals this year, no puck luck)

However, all expectations of him being a 1st or 2nd line player are sadly simply not supportable by NHL facts and his history. I'll gladly eat CROW if he can turn it around, but I suspect an AHL season with some spot 3rd / 4th line NHL duty until his contract expires or he is traded.

His contract expires on July 1.
tfrizz
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby sil on Mon Apr 30, 2012 11:30 am

Pavel Bure wrote:I would be. He's not very fast, he doesn't hit/work in the corners very much, he gets muscled off the puck quite a bit, he's not very defensively responsible. Unless he makes major changes to his game he won't be a 4th line player, it's really up to him. It's quite clear right now he can't stick in the NHL on his skill and he will have to change his game to better his skating, increase his physicality, and increase his defensive awareness to have any chance at an NHL career.

These are two aspects of his game that are quite good actually...and the latter is especially undervalued.
sil
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Pavel Bure on Mon Apr 30, 2012 11:32 am

sil wrote:
Pavel Bure wrote:I would be. He's not very fast, he doesn't hit/work in the corners very much, he gets muscled off the puck quite a bit, he's not very defensively responsible. Unless he makes major changes to his game he won't be a 4th line player, it's really up to him. It's quite clear right now he can't stick in the NHL on his skill and he will have to change his game to better his skating, increase his physicality, and increase his defensive awareness to have any chance at an NHL career.

These are two aspects of his game that are quite good actually...and the latter is especially undervalued.

Not in the player I've seen.
Pavel Bure
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby sil on Mon Apr 30, 2012 11:34 am

Pavel Bure wrote:
sil wrote:

Not in the player I've seen.

clearly
sil
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby shmenguin on Mon Apr 30, 2012 11:48 am

tangradi has good "corner work". i thought that was pretty clear.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Pavel Bure on Mon Apr 30, 2012 11:49 am

shmenguin wrote:tangradi has good "corner work". i thought that was pretty clear.

Mabye it's his inability to get to the corners that I'm seeing.
Pavel Bure
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby shmenguin on Mon Apr 30, 2012 11:54 am

Pavel Bure wrote:
shmenguin wrote:tangradi has good "corner work". i thought that was pretty clear.

Mabye it's his inability to get to the corners that I'm seeing.

that captures it, i think. he has trouble getting into positions where he can be useful. once he's in those positions, he's show he can work with them at least at a minimum NHL level.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Previous

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins