Did Anyone hear the Ray Shero interview

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Did Anyone hear the Ray Shero interview

Postby owtahear on Fri Apr 27, 2012 2:25 pm

with Mark Madden yesterday? It was really interesting. Moreso in his tone and hesitation in answering some of the questions than the actual answers. If not, here is the podcast. I think this is the first inkling in knowing we aren't going to be able to maintain the Big 3 Centers.

http://www.1059thex.com/cc-common/podca ... 3_4678.mp3
owtahear
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Re: Did Anyone hear the Ray Shero interview

Postby mac5155 on Fri Apr 27, 2012 2:50 pm

I thought the same thing. Very.. reserved. I liked the questions Madden asked him as well. Thought they were the tough ones that warrant answers after this season's finish.
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby lemieuxReturns on Fri Apr 27, 2012 2:53 pm

I reall wish Mark would have asked some questions on Shero's feelings on the talbot and jagr deals he made to them and what they ended up signing for in philly. If he had any regrets at all in regards to those two players.
lemieuxReturns
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Pens4Life on Fri Apr 27, 2012 3:04 pm

owtahear wrote:with Mark Madden yesterday? It was really interesting. Moreso in his tone and hesitation in answering some of the questions than the actual answers. If not, here is the podcast. I think this is the first inkling in knowing we aren't going to be able to maintain the Big 3 Centers.

http://www.1059thex.com/cc-common/podca ... 3_4678.mp3

:?
Pens4Life
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby mac5155 on Fri Apr 27, 2012 3:18 pm

I think the hesitation in his answers was him realizing - perhaps the way they've done things the last 5-6 years is not going to work in the NHL. There's been many changes since then. Clutching and grabbing is coming back. He's got to wonder if the style of a puck-moving, mobile defenseman is better than a big body defenseman. He just seems confused on where to go. He wants to win, but wants to do it "his way".
mac5155
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Pavel Bure on Fri Apr 27, 2012 3:19 pm

lemieuxReturns wrote:I reall wish Mark would have asked some questions on Shero's feelings on the talbot and jagr deals he made to them and what they ended up signing for in philly. If he had any regrets at all in regards to those two players.

Why, what bearing does that have on the Pens or the season? The Flyers didn't win because of them, they won because they are better all around.
Pavel Bure
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby owtahear on Fri Apr 27, 2012 3:26 pm

One thing that is going unsaid in the Pittsburgh media, and MM touched on this with Shero. Mark Andre Fleury. He was great this season. But he was Gordie Laxton in the playoffs. He was good last year in the playoffs, but Roloson was better. And against Montreal the year before, he was not good.

Yeah he won a cup. No one can take that away. So did Chris Osgood. So did Anti Niemi. So did JS Gigure. Are they elite, franchise goalies?
owtahear
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby penny lane on Fri Apr 27, 2012 3:31 pm

The pens record against the flyer was horrible. Mark didn't ask what changes were made when they knew the match up would be philly.

Clutch and grab comes back; I'm not paying to watch it.
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Rylan on Fri Apr 27, 2012 6:10 pm

I hate that the clutch and grab is back. It ruins the sport.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Sarcastic on Fri Apr 27, 2012 6:13 pm

I'm sure he would like to resign all 3, but he does need to look at the entire team and re-evaluate everything. This is not an easy decision, but I think he knows some changes are needed. Frankly, he shouldn't jump into doing anything. I don't think these questions are fair, to be honest. He needs time if only to find out what the new the CBA will be or even Staal's asking price.

I also didn't like it when whoever that was asked Staal about trade rumors during the series. From what they reported after we lost game 6, Staal just sat there by his locker long after most players left and stared at the ceiling. He must be wondering what will happen to him and if he'll remain a Penguin. I feel/hope we can keep all 3 and that most of the needed work is on defense and bottom-6. Those M&M contracts are a killer.
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby offsides on Fri Apr 27, 2012 7:07 pm

Sarcastic wrote:I'm sure he would like to resign all 3, but he does need to look at the entire team and re-evaluate everything. This is not an easy decision, but I think he knows some changes are needed. Frankly, he shouldn't jump into doing anything. I don't think these questions are fair, to be honest. He needs time if only to find out what the new the CBA will be or even Staal's asking price.

I also didn't like it when whoever that was asked Staal about trade rumors during the series. From what they reported after we lost game 6, Staal just sat there by his locker long after most players left and stared at the ceiling. He must be wondering what will happen to him and if he'll remain a Penguin. I feel/hope we can keep all 3 and that most of the needed work is on defense and bottom-6. Those M&M contracts are a killer.

Reminds me of Malone after what turned out to be his last game here.
offsides
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby penmyst on Sat Apr 28, 2012 12:57 am

Or he might have been staring at the ceiling with a longing look... as the feeling of complete failure by his team and himself sunk in.

Just saying. That is probably FAR more likely than Staal thinking about his new team next year.
penmyst
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby moondart on Sat Apr 28, 2012 1:21 am

One thing that I didnt like was RS Blaming the salary cap for his woes. When, in reality, our d today could still look like tbe 09 team.
moondart
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Sarcastic on Sat Apr 28, 2012 2:12 am

moondart wrote:One thing that I didnt like was RS Blaming the salary cap for his woes. When, in reality, our d today could still look like tbe 09 team.

I think he's starting to get a bit defensive because of the criticism. His D signings have not worked out. We were soft. Simple as that. He can throw all the stats he wants like here:

http://triblive.com/sports/penguins/1181635-85/penguins-team-shero-difficult-bylsma-goals-players-think-allow-built

But fact remains that Flyers physically rolled over us. Full-year stats like the above (51 wins, good PK overall) are meaningless because we are too talented for most teams, but when it comes to beating certain teams it is that we find we have some problems. We couldn't handle the Flyers. From the same article:

Now consider this: Of the 30 goals the Flyers scored in six games against the Penguins, 20 came within 15 feet of the net.

“I don’t know that we deterred them from the net,” Penguins coach Dan Bylsma said. “I don’t know that we made it as hard on that group as we needed to.”

Still, Shero insists team toughness is not a concern.

“I don’t think we were easy to play against,” Shero said. “Physically, we play the game the right way. We defended the right way.”

I'm sorry, Ray, but you're full of crappies. All you have to do is listen to Bylsma and Orpik's exit interviews. Although subtle, their comments on the toughness of team's D left no doubt in my mind they felt it was lacking.

I still like Shero and support him, but he screwed the pooch a little, IMO.
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Pens4Life on Sat Apr 28, 2012 2:17 am

Well he should find a way how to trade PM and ZM and sign Niskanen for 1.8M per year max. and another psyhical D-man (Brad Stuart from Detroit) for around 3.5M max. and there you have almost a 4M per year difference to re-sign our stars... I know it's gonna be hard to trade those two without getting back some salary,but he can try to do what's best for the team..
Pens4Life
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby shmenguin on Sat Apr 28, 2012 8:30 am

Brad Stuart was our best player in the 08 and 09 finals. Maybe he's worth a look.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Gaucho on Sat Apr 28, 2012 8:32 am

:pop:
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby offsides on Sat Apr 28, 2012 10:06 am

Sarcastic wrote:
I don’t know that we deterred them from the net,” Penguins coach Dan Bylsma said. “I don’t know that we made it as hard on that group as we needed to.”

Well , DB, if you don't know, who does?
offsides
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby offsides on Sat Apr 28, 2012 10:08 am

penmyst wrote:Or he might have been staring at the ceiling with a longing look... as the feeling of complete failure by his team and himself sunk in.

Just saying. That is probably FAR more likely than Staal thinking about his new team next year.

I really like Staal and want to keep him a long time, so I am hoping you are correct sir.
offsides
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Gaucho on Sat Apr 28, 2012 10:09 am

offsides wrote:
Sarcastic wrote:
I don’t know that we deterred them from the net,” Penguins coach Dan Bylsma said. “I don’t know that we made it as hard on that group as we needed to.”

I'm not a native speaker, but this seems like some serious grammatical hair splitting.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby offsides on Sat Apr 28, 2012 10:18 am

Gaucho wrote:
offsides wrote:
Sarcastic wrote:

I'm not a native speaker, but this seems like some serious grammatical hair splitting.

Not even sure what a native speaker is, Just seems like he could take a little more of the responsibility of the collapse\failure by saying "we didn't" do this or "we didn't" do that and we WILL correct this.
offsides
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Fire0nice228 on Sat Apr 28, 2012 10:21 am

owtahear wrote:One thing that is going unsaid in the Pittsburgh media, and MM touched on this with Shero. Mark Andre Fleury. He was great this season. But he was Gordie Laxton in the playoffs. He was good last year in the playoffs, but Roloson was better. And against Montreal the year before, he was not good.

Yeah he won a cup. No one can take that away. So did Chris Osgood. So did Anti Niemi. So did JS Gigure. Are they elite, franchise goalies?

You don't need an elite, franchise goalie to win the Cup if you play a good system and have good players infront of him. But, you can't pay a ton of money to your goalie if thats what your tryin to do.

Look at Mike Smith.. Dude was garbage until he got in PHX. Same with Bryz. Is Bryz good, sure, but hes not the 51 million dollar goalie Philly thinks he is. IF MAF played in PHX right now they might have gone undefeated :lol:
Fire0nice228
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Gaucho on Sat Apr 28, 2012 10:28 am

offsides wrote:
Gaucho wrote:
offsides wrote:
Sarcastic wrote:

Not even sure what a native speaker is, Just seems like he could take a little more of the responsibility of the collapse\failure by saying "we didn't" do this or "we didn't" do that and we WILL correct this.

It means English is not my first language. But it seems obvious that in this case "I don't know" is a figure of speech which does not mean at all that he doesn't know. The message seems clear.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby The Snapshot on Sat Apr 28, 2012 10:35 am

owtahear wrote:One thing that is going unsaid in the Pittsburgh media, and MM touched on this with Shero. Mark Andre Fleury. He was great this season. But he was Gordie Laxton in the playoffs. He was good last year in the playoffs, but Roloson was better. And against Montreal the year before, he was not good.

This, except I would differ that he was good in last year's playoffs. In fact, I would argue that he was inconsistent in the two Cup Final runs as well - great one night and bad another. He was good enough in those years, but hardly the kind of consistent puck stopper you see on other inferior teams.

He also bested Chris Osgood in the finals.
The Snapshot
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby owtahear on Sat Apr 28, 2012 10:38 am

My thoughts on Staal are this. If he wasn't injured, he would have scored 30 goals this season. There were only thirty 30 goal scorers in the league this year. Staal sees no PP time, and in many cases is playing on the 3rd line. He is just coming into his own. It is not strictly salary I am worried about with Staal, it is his role on the team. He is the 3rd C here, no PP time. The Pens are stacked up front on the PP, and most are LH shots (as is Staal).

I really think he wants to be a 1 or 2 Center (which he is) and the Pens really can't provide him that role unless.......
owtahear
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Next

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins