Joe Morrow has a hard shot

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Joe Morrow has a hard shot

Postby meecrofilm on Fri Apr 27, 2012 2:25 pm

If you didn't aleady know...

http://mobile.oregonlive.com/advorg/db_/contentdetail.htm?contentguid=aluxgAZY&full=true#display

As his first act of organized violence on Wednesday, Portland Winterhawks defenseman Joe Morrow reared back during a power play and sent a bullet-like shot off the Tri-City goalie's mask. It blew the thing apart and dropped the poor goalie on his face on the ice.

Nice little write-up about future Pens' #1 Powerplay QB Joe Morrow, from a local Portland paper. Portland moved on and are in the WHL finals now, and look primed to challenge for the Memorial Cup. I figured it's a nice respite from all the other depressing things we have to talk around here at the moment :P
meecrofilm
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Re: Joe Morrow has a hard shot

Postby owtahear on Fri Apr 27, 2012 2:28 pm

Wow. Not only a PP QB, but sounds like a warrior. I still can't believe he did not make the Canadian Jr team this year.
owtahear
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby ffemtreed on Fri Apr 27, 2012 2:40 pm

owtahear wrote:Wow. Not only a PP QB, but sounds like a warrior. I still can't believe he did not make the Canadian Jr team this year.

yeah, I thought he would have been a lock to make that team, esp seeing how he almost made the Pens roster with his great play in camp.
ffemtreed
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Sarcastic on Fri Apr 27, 2012 6:18 pm

Ahh, long hair. I like him already. :thumb:
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby HockeyDaddy on Mon Apr 30, 2012 12:45 pm

That is awesome. I can't wait to see him ripping those shots for the Pens.
HockeyDaddy
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby DesertPenguin on Fri May 04, 2012 12:21 pm

This is why we need to, this year or next, start moving defensemen out. Despres has arrived, Morrow could possibly make the team out of camp, and Harrington is probably only a year away. Plus, Strait and Bortuzzo are scrapping for a spot with the big club.

The future is bright on D for the pens. It is worrisome trusting young guys on d with significant minutes, but I think we've got some real gems here.
DesertPenguin
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby RisslingsMissingTeeth on Fri May 04, 2012 12:25 pm

DesertPenguin wrote:It is worrisome trusting young guys on d with significant minutes, but I think we've got some real gems here.

Do you really think it is possible that we could give up MORE goals? Their time is now. I'd take any of these guys to the M&M chumps.
RisslingsMissingTeeth
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby DesertPenguin on Fri May 04, 2012 12:54 pm

RisslingsMissingTeeth wrote:
DesertPenguin wrote:It is worrisome trusting young guys on d with significant minutes, but I think we've got some real gems here.

Do you really think it is possible that we could give up MORE goals? Their time is now. I'd take any of these guys to the M&M chumps.

Even so, M&M eat up big minutes on this team. Rookies can't necessarily do that. The load would need to be spread down to the 3rd pairing, which may expose Niskanen and Engo to a greater degree.

Drool Moment:

2014-2015 Pens defensive pairings

Letang - Despres
Morrow - Harrington
Niskanen - Orpik
DesertPenguin
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Jesse on Fri May 04, 2012 12:55 pm

I wouldn't expect to see that often. He doesn't traditionally unleash howitzers. He's more methodical about getting the puck on net versus anything else. That being said, he's really shown a lot in the way of his shot this year.
Jesse
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby The Snapshot on Fri May 04, 2012 1:05 pm

One thing is clear, the teams still standing in the Playoffs are getting significant contributions from rookies. With the Pens, there is a need for an infusion of youth upfront to go with the young veteran stars. I think the best options for trade involve D men to get some guys ready for shots upfront.

The Pens need to use their D and D prospects now to start filling the cupboard upfront. I would much rather see a D moved before they move Staal. If they can get something useful for some of the Cooke, Kunitz types I am on board with that as well.

I would not want to part with Morrow or Despres, but everyone else should be in play depending on the deal - including Letang. His style for his size worries me as far as the length of his career. He is as fit and strong as any player, but he doesn't seem to be able to avoid the big hits.
The Snapshot
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby sil on Fri May 04, 2012 1:39 pm

The Snapshot wrote:One thing is clear, the teams still standing in the Playoffs are getting significant contributions from rookies. With the Pens, there is a need for an infusion of youth upfront to go with the young veteran stars. I think the best options for trade involve D men to get some guys ready for shots upfront.

The Pens need to use their D and D prospects now to start filling the cupboard upfront. I would much rather see a D moved before they move Staal. If they can get something useful for some of the Cooke, Kunitz types I am on board with that as well.

I would not want to part with Morrow or Despres, but everyone else should be in play depending on the deal - including Letang. His style for his size worries me as far as the length of his career. He is as fit and strong as any player, but he doesn't seem to be able to avoid the big hits.

It's tough though. Is a team really going to seriously give us a young versatile forward for Paul Martin?
sil
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby The Snapshot on Fri May 04, 2012 1:59 pm

sil wrote:
The Snapshot wrote:One thing is clear, the teams still standing in the Playoffs are getting significant contributions from rookies. With the Pens, there is a need for an infusion of youth upfront to go with the young veteran stars. I think the best options for trade involve D men to get some guys ready for shots upfront.

It's tough though. Is a team really going to seriously give us a young versatile forward for Paul Martin?

It depends on their needs, but we also have Orpik and Letang to offer. If a team needs quality NHL D and has a young forward who is not in the NHL now but on the verge, that is a deal they do. Letang obviously brings more than that.

I am 100% sold on Despres and he will need to be locked up when his entry level comes. At that time, some of our other $4M+ guys have to go anyway. I would definitely offer Letang around and take a large, physical D in return along with a promising young F prospect.

I think if you add Despres to the D and re-sign Niskannen you have flexibility to keep Morrow out of camp and start building a base of young hungry legs up front. That to me improves the mobility of the D and reduces the Cap hit for the group.

I think the team needs to be willing to risk a step back in order to move forward. As I said above, Cooke, Kunitz, Dupuis are all in that mix to be replaced as well - not because they are not solid but because we need to give to get. The team needs more size on D and speed and size upfront.

I don't even mean that we need young top six forwards, but we need young, strong forwards to be added that may have the potential to add offense as they get experience.
The Snapshot
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Pensrock on Fri May 04, 2012 2:23 pm

The Snapshot wrote:
sil wrote:

It depends on their needs, but we also have Orpik and Letang to offer. If a team needs quality NHL D and has a young forward who is not in the NHL now but on the verge, that is a deal they do. Letang obviously brings more than that.

I am 100% sold on Despres and he will need to be locked up when his entry level comes. At that time, some of our other $4M+ guys have to go anyway. I would definitely offer Letang around and take a large, physical D in return along with a promising young F prospect.

I think if you add Despres to the D and re-sign Niskannen you have flexibility to keep Morrow out of camp and start building a base of young hungry legs up front. That to me improves the mobility of the D and reduces the Cap hit for the group.

I think the team needs to be willing to risk a step back in order to move forward. As I said above, Cooke, Kunitz, Dupuis are all in that mix to be replaced as well - not because they are not solid but because we need to give to get. The team needs more size on D and speed and size upfront.

I don't even mean that we need young top six forwards, but we need young, strong forwards to be added that may have the potential to add offense as they get experience.

I hang on to Letang. I know he is frustrating at times and he had a terrible series against Philly, but he is still really young and I think he is going to get more consistent. Consistentcy is the only thing keeping him from being a serious Norris contender year in and year out.

Martin and Michalek.....trading them simply for the cap room and to open a spot for Depres is a no brainer. I honestly don't care what the return would be as long as we could dump their salaries. I would take a bag of hockey pucks in return. Trading them opens up Salary cap room for more important players and it opens spots on Defense to have Depres fill and maybe a defensive defensemen.
Pensrock
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby The Snapshot on Fri May 04, 2012 3:50 pm

Pensrock wrote:
The Snapshot wrote:
sil wrote:

I hang on to Letang. I know he is frustrating at times and he had a terrible series against Philly, but he is still really young and I think he is going to get more consistent. Consistentcy is the only thing keeping him from being a serious Norris contender year in and year out.

Martin and Michalek.....trading them simply for the cap room and to open a spot for Depres is a no brainer. I honestly don't care what the return would be as long as we could dump their salaries. I would take a bag of hockey pucks in return. Trading them opens up Salary cap room for more important players and it opens spots on Defense to have Depres fill and maybe a defensive defensemen.

That would be fine, but my point was that we have no size, speed and talent coming upfront at a time when we need an infusion of youth up there. The answer to that issue dictates that we move some of the surplus at D. The young talent that is ready now is preferrable to keep in my eyes to any of the existing NHL D. Letang obviously brings the greatest return, and I am confident that some combination of Niskannen and Despres can replace most of his icetime - while Morrow is a great wild card.
The Snapshot
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby DesertPenguin on Sat May 05, 2012 6:18 am

Letang had an awful series, and needs to get his head on straight. Make no mistake though, he is the pens #1 d man for the better part of the next decade. He's in the core.

I'm good with morrow and despres playing for the big club next season. I think Despres is almost a lock for it. We do need to manage their minutes though. These young guys aren't used to an 82 game season playing against men. You want to use them but you don't want to wear them out by playoff time.

Move M&M, plug in Despres and Morrow but go get a veteran crease clearer (Hal Gill if we can afford him) to get into the rotation and eat up some tough minutes for the younger guys.
DesertPenguin
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby The Snapshot on Sat May 05, 2012 9:53 am

DesertPenguin wrote:Letang had an awful series, and needs to get his head on straight. Make no mistake though, he is the pens #1 d man for the better part of the next decade. He's in the core.

I'm good with morrow and despres playing for the big club next season. I think Despres is almost a lock for it. We do need to manage their minutes though. These young guys aren't used to an 82 game season playing against men. You want to use them but you don't want to wear them out by playoff time.

Move M&M, plug in Despres and Morrow but go get a veteran crease clearer (Hal Gill if we can afford him) to get into the rotation and eat up some tough minutes for the younger guys.

I love Letang, so I am not looking to move him for the sake of it, but nobody else would restock us at Forward for young legs like he would - and he is still being dealt from our strongest position. The Pens, it was clear, need more size and youth up front. The are improvements that could be made in quite a few spots along the 2nd, 3rd and 4th lines with young players - but we also have very little talent not already in the NHL up there.

My point really is that it is time to deal from an organizational strength to balance the system out and inject youth up front. We could move one of the young D I suppose, but Morrow and Despres should be off limits. Not sure if Harrington alone could bring a gem of a Forward prospect or not.
The Snapshot
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby ExPatriatePen on Sat May 05, 2012 10:23 am

I wouldn't part with Letang, his durability isn't an issue to me and his best years are ahead of him.
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Postby jcgopens on Sat May 05, 2012 10:35 am

ExPatriatePen wrote:

I wouldn't part with Letang, his durability isn't an issue to me and his best years are ahead of him.

There are very few defenseman who have the unique skill set that Letang has. if any one thinks parting with him is a good idea, look no further than how the team looked when he was out with injury. Yes, Letang's best years are ahead of him - he improves every season and spends the summer training like crazy.
jcgopens
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Streaks House on Sat May 05, 2012 12:11 pm

The Snapshot wrote:The Pens need to use their D and D prospects now to start filling the cupboard upfront. I would much rather see a D moved before they move Staal. If they can get something useful for some of the Cooke, Kunitz types I am on board with that as well.

:thumb: we saw what the yield for Goligoski was, what caliber of player *could* Letang yield in a trade for a younger forward?
Streaks House
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby pens_CT on Sat May 05, 2012 12:38 pm

ExPatriatePen wrote:

True his best years are ahead of him, but in a couple of years his new contract will probably be cost prohibitive. This summer would be the time to move him, he has two years left on his deal so his trade value will not be effected like a rental player on the last year of his deal. I think you move him only if you believe Morrow is NHL ready this year.
pens_CT
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby slappybrown on Sat May 05, 2012 12:53 pm

Now we are trading Letang? Our only truly elite d-man? Who is, what, 25?
slappybrown
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby columbia on Sat May 05, 2012 1:12 pm

slappybrown wrote:Now we are trading Letang? Our only truly elite d-man? Who is, what, 25?

Staal and Malkin, too.
Get with the times.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Location: If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu.

Postby pens_CT on Sat May 05, 2012 1:37 pm

columbia wrote:
slappybrown wrote:Now we are trading Letang? Our only truly elite d-man? Who is, what, 25?

Staal and Malkin, too.
Get with the times.

If the cap goes down after the new CBA is signed, and you can't resign the entire group of Staal, Malkin, Crosby, and Letang, who are you moving? Based on what he could bring back in return and what you have as far as prospects in the system, Letang is the obvious choice.
pens_CT
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby John-E on Sat May 05, 2012 3:38 pm

John-E
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby the wicked child on Sat May 05, 2012 5:56 pm

Wait... so a thread about Morrow's shot has somehow turned into "trade Letang for young forwards"???? LGP has gone full ******.
the wicked child
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Next

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins