Joe Morrow has a hard shot

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Joe Morrow has a hard shot

Postby darkstar57 on Tue May 08, 2012 12:43 pm

Well this thread took a weird turn.

I like Morrow i think he has a bright future for us, a year in the AHL has the first/second defensive call up an he will be good
darkstar57
AHL'er
AHL'er

Location: A flute with no holes, is not a flute. A donut with no hole, is a Danish

Postby Corvidae on Tue May 08, 2012 12:46 pm

I've heard that Harrington has a hard shot too. Does that mean they should trade Despres?

Sorry, I'm just trying to understand the logic leap that has been made here. But unfortunately, I haven't road my bike into a tree lately.
Corvidae
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Pitts on Tue May 08, 2012 12:49 pm

Lol. I'm the biggest fan of all the players on the PEns!!!! I do not want them EVAR to trade any of them because they are the bestest players ever!!! We will be sooo good forever!

C'mon people...all of this is just talk. Some of which may become a reality sooner than we all think.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby The Snapshot on Tue May 08, 2012 12:50 pm

Corvidae wrote:I've heard that Harrington has a hard shot too. Does that mean they should trade Despres?

Sorry, I'm just trying to understand the logic leap that has been made here. But unfortunately, I haven't road my bike into a tree lately.

Thanks for coming out. Very insightfull. I expect nothing less from you though.
The Snapshot
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby The Snapshot on Tue May 08, 2012 12:52 pm

Pitts wrote:Lol. I'm the biggest fan of all the players on the PEns!!!! I do not want them EVAR to trade any of them because they are the bestest players ever!!! We will be sooo good forever!

C'mon people...all of this is just talk. Some of which may become a reality sooner than we all think.

No, we want them to be the 70's Steelers, except without the multiple trophies. Keep 'em all until they have the option of walking away for nothing. Damn the Cap.....full speed ahead to more 1st round exits......
The Snapshot
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Corvidae on Tue May 08, 2012 12:55 pm

The Snapshot wrote:
Corvidae wrote:I've heard that Harrington has a hard shot too. Does that mean they should trade Despres?

Thanks for coming out. Very insightfull. I expect nothing less from you though.

I expect nothing from you because I have no recollection of anything you've ever posted. Please go back to blocking me.

And I have a very strong policy of only responding intelligently to intelligent posts. Which is why it almost never happens.
Corvidae
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby columbia on Tue May 08, 2012 12:55 pm

Trading Letang isn't going to cure a space case goalie and a coach who can't think on his feet under pressure.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby The Snapshot on Tue May 08, 2012 1:00 pm

columbia wrote:Trading Letang isn't going to cure a space case goalie and a coach who can't think on his feet under pressure.

Maybe another NHL caliber goalie prospect is part of the return? Who knows.

There are a bunch of folks on this board who can caoch the team.....
The Snapshot
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby columbia on Tue May 08, 2012 1:11 pm

The Snapshot wrote:There are a bunch of folks on this board who can caoch the team.....

:lol:
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Streaks House on Tue May 08, 2012 1:11 pm

So I've seen theories that range from:

It's too late to trade Staal, because he will reach unrestricted free agency on 7/1/13. Nobody will give up much for him at this point.

to

You can't trade Letang, because he's signed to a cap friendly AAV through 7/1/14

So where/when does the "right" medium exist for trading a player?

So come this time next spring, will it then be too late to trade Letang too? Letang will demand a steep raise from his current $3.5M AAV deal.

With moving Letang, you have a player in Morrow that projects to having a similar skill set.

Letang would certainly yield a nice return in a trade, probably better return than Staal. Staal's next contract likely sees him earning > $5M AAV. Letang will likely demand even more, upwards of $6M AAV.
Streaks House
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby The Snapshot on Tue May 08, 2012 1:17 pm

Streaks House wrote:So I've seen theories that range from:

It's too late to trade Staal, because he will reach unrestricted free agency on 7/1/13. Nobody will give up much for him at this point.

to

You can't trade Letang, because he's signed to a cap friendly AAV through 7/1/14

So come this time next spring, will it then be too late to trade Letang too? Letang will demand a steep raise from his current $3.5M AAV deal.

With moving Letang, you have a player in Morrow that projects to having a similar skill set.

Letang would certainly yield a nice return in a trade, probably better return than Staal. Staal's next contract likely sees him earning > $5M AAV. Letang will likely demand even more, upwards of $6M AAV.

Never trade anyone who isn't an abject failure as both a person and a player. Also, all of the rookies who are succeeding in these playoffs are a mirage. You can't simply play someone in the NHL without going to WBS no matter how talented Morrow appears to be.

Nevermind the fact that Despres came up and played better than Martin or Michalek in similar minutes/roles.
The Snapshot
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Pitts on Tue May 08, 2012 1:20 pm

You can't trade Letang. He is too pretty. All the ladies (and some men I suppose) would revolt.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby sil on Tue May 08, 2012 1:21 pm

Streaks House wrote:So I've seen theories that range from:

to

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to know that if you take two players of about equal value, but the difference is one is signed for one more year, and the other for two more years...the chap with two years remaining will fetch more in a trade. While it may not be a lot more...it'll still be more.
sil
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Streaks House on Tue May 08, 2012 1:33 pm

So ultimately it comes down to moving Letang or Staal to create cap space (assuming it is the intent to keep Crosby AND Malkin long term). Both will get raises. Like I said, I'm not opposed to moving Letang IF one of Staal or Letang has to moved. Letang yields a better return and there is a replacement in the pipeline in Morrow.
Streaks House
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby shmenguin on Tue May 08, 2012 1:47 pm

There are certain ways to explain why trading letang isn't completely crazy. Citing Morrow or depres as a replacement is not one of those ways.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby meecrofilm on Tue May 08, 2012 2:19 pm

Pitts wrote:You can't trade Letang. He is too pretty. All the ladies (and some men I suppose) would revolt.

Ah, but Morrow looks like he'll be able to replace Letang's flow as well :pop:

:scared:
meecrofilm
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Penspal on Tue May 08, 2012 3:11 pm

I really like how Morrow acted in this case. The guy ran his goalie and then started chirping and facewashing. A dman has got to stand up for his goalie. I don't believe he is known as a scrapper but he more than held his own in this case.
Penspal
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby slappybrown on Tue May 08, 2012 8:51 pm

Good times in here.
slappybrown
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Previous

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins