Penguins lacking size?

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Penguins lacking size?

Postby sil on Wed May 09, 2012 12:24 pm

Malkamaniac wrote:I still believe that the best shaping of the team has to happen on July 1 or shortly after.

at the draft
sil
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby pfim on Wed May 09, 2012 12:25 pm

Malkamaniac wrote:
pfim wrote:I don't think the Devils are particularly big, and they're doing just fine. It's not as if taller players are inherently better defenders, goalkeepers, or forecheckers.

I relate size to people who are big that actually use their bodies to cause damage. I'm just wanting a dude like Lucic to be on the Pens. Someone that's just inherently mean and willing to just throw his body around at all times.

Devils' biggest players are guys like Zubrus, Ponikarovsky, Zajac, Larsson. Not exactly the most aggressive group.

I don't care much about size, it's the willingness to use the body, take hits and positioning that counts. A few of the guys on the Pens' D struggled with one or more of those things in the series.
pfim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Malkamaniac on Wed May 09, 2012 12:30 pm

pfim wrote:
Malkamaniac wrote:
pfim wrote:I don't think the Devils are particularly big, and they're doing just fine. It's not as if taller players are inherently better defenders, goalkeepers, or forecheckers.

I relate size to people who are big that actually use their bodies to cause damage. I'm just wanting a dude like Lucic to be on the Pens. Someone that's just inherently mean and willing to just throw his body around at all times.

Devils' biggest players are guys like Zubrus, Ponikarovsky, Zajac, Larsson. Not exactly the most aggressive group.

I don't care much about size, it's the willingness to use the body, take hits and positioning that counts. A few of the guys on the Pens' D struggled with one or more of those things in the series.

I don't want a full team of large people. I just want one really mean one. Basically TK's agression in the size of someone that's 6'3-6'4 225.
Malkamaniac
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby shmenguin on Wed May 09, 2012 12:34 pm

Malkamaniac wrote:I don't want a full team of large people. I just want one really mean one. Basically TK's agression in the size of someone that's 6'3-6'4 225.

it's fun to watch, but i don't think it necessarily translates into W's. but being fun to watch is nothing to sneeze at since we're fans n'all.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Malkamaniac on Wed May 09, 2012 12:46 pm

shmenguin wrote:
Malkamaniac wrote:I don't want a full team of large people. I just want one really mean one. Basically TK's agression in the size of someone that's 6'3-6'4 225.

it's fun to watch, but i don't think it necessarily translates into W's. but being fun to watch is nothing to sneeze at since we're fans n'all.

I think it's fun to watch, and while Kunitz is great in the front of the net, I want a large dude that's hard to move out of the way there. So basically, I freaking want Tangradi to pan out.
Malkamaniac
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby shmenguin on Wed May 09, 2012 12:57 pm

Malkamaniac wrote:
shmenguin wrote:

I think it's fun to watch, and while Kunitz is great in the front of the net, I want a large dude that's hard to move out of the way there. So basically, I freaking want Tangradi to pan out.

by the way, if you think throwing compliments at TK is the path to my foe list, think again, fella.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Malkamaniac on Wed May 09, 2012 1:48 pm

Really that's the only thing I admire about TK. He does play with ferocity. Outside of that, dime a dozen city.
Malkamaniac
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby sil on Wed May 09, 2012 2:41 pm

Malkamaniac wrote:I freaking want Tangradi to pan out.

"Our only chance is for (Tangradi) to get angry!"

sil
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Pens15 on Wed May 09, 2012 3:19 pm

Size is not about guys crushing people or playing a bully game. It's just about being sturdy and strong on your skates being able to hold your own in battles, along the boards, protecting the puck, and that kind of thing.
Pens15
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby MRandall25 on Wed May 09, 2012 3:28 pm

Pens15 wrote:Size is not about guys crushing people or playing a bully game. It's just about being sturdy and strong on your skates being able to hold your own in battles, along the boards, protecting the puck, and that kind of thing.

So you think Sidney Crosby has "size"? His name was the first that popped into my head, given your definition.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Pens15 on Wed May 09, 2012 3:39 pm

MRandall25 wrote:
Pens15 wrote:Size is not about guys crushing people or playing a bully game. It's just about being sturdy and strong on your skates being able to hold your own in battles, along the boards, protecting the puck, and that kind of thing.

So you think Sidney Crosby has "size"? His name was the first that popped into my head, given your definition.

ah, pre-concussion anyway. But yeah, Sid is an example of a guy that has that "sturdyness" and great strength pound for pound. Pens need more of that. Too many guys trying to finesse everything.
Pens15
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Previous

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins