Arron Asham

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Arron Asham

Postby GenoMachino71 on Sat Apr 28, 2012 8:29 pm

thoughts on if you think he'll be back?

I just like the guy to be honest.... solid 4th line player.... and is a guy who can drop the gloves if needed, but really isnt a goon and otherwise worthless
GenoMachino71
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Re: Arron Asham

Postby Pavel Bure on Sat Apr 28, 2012 8:30 pm

Do not want. Little over the hill, too injury prone. Better options are out there.
Pavel Bure
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby KG on Sat Apr 28, 2012 8:31 pm

Time to change it up. bring in Moen/Prust to fill his void....
KG
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby The Snapshot on Sat Apr 28, 2012 8:40 pm

Asham is a great teammate, and I will miss his tough as nails attitude - but he is too much of a cruiser at this stage in his career. We need guys who are moving their feet more on the 4th line.
The Snapshot
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby knives of ice on Sat Apr 28, 2012 8:57 pm

i wouldn't be against him coming back. he is loved by his teammates and has been acknowledged as a great leader speaking up between periods, etc.

always notice EVERY game after the pregame skate he is waiting for each teammate to slap hands with them when they go off the ice. i'm not saying thats the most important role on the team or anything that is not replaceable but you can tell every time i've seen any teammate or ex teammate talk about him how loved he is.

he's a warrior that will do anything for the team asked of him but there could be better options out there. are there better options that will play for very close to the league minimum though?
knives of ice
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby offsides on Sat Apr 28, 2012 9:28 pm

knives of ice wrote:i wouldn't be against him coming back. he is loved by his teammates and has been acknowledged as a great leader speaking up between periods, etc.

always notice EVERY game after the pregame skate he is waiting for each teammate to slap hands with them when they go off the ice. i'm not saying thats the most important role on the team or anything that is not replaceable but you can tell every time i've seen any teammate or ex teammate talk about him how loved he is.

he's a warrior that will do anything for the team asked of him but there could be better options out there. are there better options that will play for very close to the league minimum though?

Good point.
offsides
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby IronDukes37 on Sat Apr 28, 2012 10:28 pm

Last edited by IronDukes37 on Tue Jul 31, 2012 2:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
IronDukes37
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Idoit40fans on Sat Apr 28, 2012 10:48 pm

I hope he retires as a Penguin. Outside of the big offensive stars+Letang, I want him and Dupuis to play in Pittsburgh until they're done. Ignoring their game, the kind of people you would want as teammates. Never leave anything on the ice.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Durbano on Sat Apr 28, 2012 10:56 pm

I'm definitely a fan but don't think he'll be back. Adams already is under contract and he just turned 35. Asham just turned 34; I think the Pens will move toward youth on that line.
Durbano
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby heshootsandscores on Sat Apr 28, 2012 11:27 pm

I want him back...I love the team player that will take care of our star's at a lower end contract. jmo
heshootsandscores
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby GenoMachino71 on Sun Apr 29, 2012 12:13 am

yeah I have a feeling he will be gone

and really, it probably wouldnt be the wrong move....

theres just something about the guy that makes you like him.... every former team he was on always says they loved Asham and wish he would come back.... I dont know what it is... and its not just his ability to fight, because he maybe had 6 or 7 fights total in his 2 years in Pitt

from just being a fan point of view, I hope he's back for 1 more year at the minimum salary, but if hes not I'll understand
GenoMachino71
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Stick_licker on Sun Apr 29, 2012 12:25 am

I'm guessing he's gone. I'd like to see the 4th and 3rd lines filled up with young gritty players. Also I wouldn't mind having having Mike Knuble (who's a UFA) next season. If for no other reason then to stop him scoring against us.

I know those are complete opposite statements, but what the heck...
Stick_licker
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Rylan on Sun Apr 29, 2012 12:43 am

I would miss Asham.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby westside on Sun Apr 29, 2012 12:50 am

I agree with bringing in some younger grinders but would love to keep Asham around 1 more year to show some of those new guys how you play that role.
westside
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Kaizer on Sun Apr 29, 2012 2:19 am

he's cheap, and he can kick Jay Beagle's ass. stay please.
Kaizer
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Nizzy on Sun Apr 29, 2012 3:49 am

0 chance he will be back. Only reason he was on the team was for great playoff hockey which he was known for. He did nothing but take out a 19 year old kid with a cheap shot.

We need 4th liners that can actually score. I don't want any of Asham, Adams, or Park back. Adams was great, but he's run his course here. Trade him to another team at the deadline or something for a late rounder. He could help a western conf team or something.
Nizzy
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby RxBandit66 on Sun Apr 29, 2012 4:47 am

Too old, too slow, too injury prone.

No thanks.
RxBandit66
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby DelPen on Sun Apr 29, 2012 9:06 am

Shero can do a lot worse than Asham and probably will. I hope he gets at least a camp invite, the Pens owe him that much for standing up to Schenn.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby JS© on Sun Apr 29, 2012 9:21 am

Stick_licker wrote:I'm guessing he's gone. I'd like to see the 4th and 3rd lines filled up with young gritty players. Also I wouldn't mind having having Mike Knuble (who's a UFA) next season. If for no other reason then to stop him scoring against us.

I know those are complete opposite statements, but what the heck...

Knuble is 40 years old and didn't look like he had a lot left in the tank this season.
JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby pugilist13 on Sun Apr 29, 2012 12:46 pm

Ash is a warrior, but father time seems to have caught up. Wouldn't mind seeing him back, but there will be other options. I dont see Ash or Park back next season.
pugilist13
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby no name on Sun Apr 29, 2012 3:18 pm

I will miss him, but would like some one more in a Rupp mold.
no name
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby shmenguin on Sun Apr 29, 2012 5:20 pm

i'd rather have him than adams. can't have both though. should probably have neither. soooooo slow
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Streaks House on Sun Apr 29, 2012 6:23 pm

shmenguin wrote:i'd rather have him than adams. can't have both though. should probably have neither. soooooo slow

Both have lost a step. Both great teammates. But unlike Adams, Asham finishes checks, doesn't **** his pants when the puck is on his stick, and can still shoot. Not completely worthless.
Streaks House
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Luckybreak on Mon Apr 30, 2012 4:46 am

Streaks House wrote:
shmenguin wrote:i'd rather have him than adams. can't have both though. should probably have neither. soooooo slow

Both have lost a step. Both great teammates. But unlike Adams, Asham finishes checks, doesn't **** his pants when the puck is on his stick, and can still shoot. Not completely worthless.

Asham pros: pound for pound still one of the toughest in the league, ton of grit and heart plus a pinch of skill.
Asham cons: slowing down, questionable decision making and hair.

Adams pros: he blocks shots on the PK.
Adams cons: slower than molasses going uphill in January, kills scoring opportunities at both ends of the rink.

Loved what they both brought in their prime but they are past it now. Isn't Vitale capable of filling Adams role on the PK? I like Tangradi+Vitale+FA with better wheels and size than the old timers.
Luckybreak
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby darkstar57 on Mon Apr 30, 2012 8:43 am

Last year out 4th line was the best on the team in the playoffs, this year they sucked bad.

I like Asham, i like what he brings but unless shero is going to carry him as the 13th forward where he see 30ish games during the year because of injury and what not, i doubt he comes back.
darkstar57
AHL'er
AHL'er

Location: A flute with no holes, is not a flute. A donut with no hole, is a Danish

Next

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins