Jordan Staal - perhaps the big story for this offseason

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Jordan Staal - perhaps the big story for this offseason

Postby Pitts on Fri Jun 22, 2012 5:02 pm

mikey287 wrote:Hypothetical: Jordan Staal stays all year and produces in line with his career projections. We win the Cup with him. And he walks for nothing. U still mad, bro(s)?

Yes. Mad that he would no longer be here mostly. But, upset that they got nothing for him. (I'm selfish that way). ;)
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Fire0nice228 on Fri Jun 22, 2012 5:05 pm

If they win the Cup, not mad. If they go out in the first round again, MAD MAD MAD!

And still wouldnt be all that happy, but to win the Cup would take alotta sting away. But, I think you have to plan for more than just one season, even though the Pens are in 'win now' mode.. Id prefer the Pens get themselves into 'consistently a contender' mode like the Redwings and make the playoffs 20 years in a row
Last edited by Fire0nice228 on Fri Jun 22, 2012 5:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fire0nice228
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby penny lane on Fri Jun 22, 2012 5:10 pm

mikey287 wrote:Hypothetical: Jordan Staal stays all year and produces in line with his career projections. We win the Cup with him. And he walks for nothing. U still mad, bro(s)?

That type of arrangement would have to be agreed on by all : we won’t trade you and will announce to the world as such.
Ron Burkle has to sign off on that asset decision. Because if they don’t win, all you get are draft picks for the right to sign Jordan.
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby NJ5934 on Fri Jun 22, 2012 5:15 pm

I don't really want a lame duck on this team. It's a marathon of a season and it's unlikely the Pens would win a cup this year even with Staal. It's also a possibility that we ride the season out with Staal, go out early in the playoffs, lose him for nothing and Shero finds himself in this position with Geno this time next year.

I'm Not trying to be dramatic, just saying its the GM's job to build for the future, not just the upcoming season. It's unfortunate that we are now in this position because Staal was a fan favorite and a favorite of mine, but he has decided (or I think he has) to move on and done so in a way that has left the Pens at a disadvantage.
NJ5934
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby FallenHero96 on Fri Jun 22, 2012 5:22 pm

Dreger just said that he is hearing Staal's name a lot with Phoenix in talks for Yandle
FallenHero96
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Rylan on Fri Jun 22, 2012 5:23 pm

Yandle and Michalek on a d-pairing? Yes please.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Fire0nice228 on Fri Jun 22, 2012 5:24 pm

They just said on NHLN preview show that Staal is unlikely to be traded today because of his wedding today.

womp womp

(I say who cares if its his wedding day, he's a pro athelete)
Fire0nice228
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby FallenHero96 on Fri Jun 22, 2012 5:26 pm

Fire0nice228 wrote:They just said on NHLN preview show that Staal is unlikely to be traded today because of his wedding today.

womp womp

Yeah after this debacle I am sure that Shero is thinking of doing Staal a favor and not trading him on his wedding day.
FallenHero96
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby KG on Fri Jun 22, 2012 5:27 pm

FallenHero96 wrote:Dreger just said that he is hearing Staal's name a lot with Phoenix in talks for Yandle

Not sure why Phoenix is looking to move Yandle...I can't say I've seen him play much, but I've heard great things about him...
KG
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Gaucho on Fri Jun 22, 2012 5:28 pm

I like Yandle, a lot, but I just don't see how he is much of a help for us.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby NJ5934 on Fri Jun 22, 2012 5:29 pm

Fire0nice228 wrote:They just said on NHLN preview show that Staal is unlikely to be traded today because of his wedding today.

womp womp

Yup. And not for nothing he and his agent should have suspected that was a possibility when they rejected the 10 year deal and told Shero they were not interested in an extension. Bad timing, but hey, it's only business right. The hardships of being paid 6 million a year to play a game.
NJ5934
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Gaucho on Fri Jun 22, 2012 5:34 pm

wut?
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby AlexPKeaton on Fri Jun 22, 2012 5:36 pm

What channel is the draft on?
AlexPKeaton
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby columbia on Fri Jun 22, 2012 5:36 pm

Gaucho wrote:wut?
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Location: If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu.

Postby Kovy27 on Fri Jun 22, 2012 5:37 pm

AlexPKeaton wrote:What channel is the draft on?

NBC Sports tonight. NHL Network tomorrow.
Kovy27
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Tico Rick on Fri Jun 22, 2012 5:37 pm

I don't think anyone who has mentioned the one-more-yaer-with-Staal scenario has yet mentioned one of these possibilities within this scenario:

1. One of the Big Three is moved to wing, playing full-time on a line with another of the Big Three. Staal gets huge ice time, huge PP time, helps win the Cup, is happy with everything, and decides to stay in the burgh.

2. Sidney and/or Geno has a career-ending injury; Staal becomes permanent second-line center, gets huge PP time, helps win the Cup, is happy with everything, and decides to stay in the burgh.

Does the chance to play with a sod bro outweigh either of these?
Last edited by Tico Rick on Fri Jun 22, 2012 5:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tico Rick
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby steelhammer on Fri Jun 22, 2012 5:38 pm

I tend to run most of my trade evaluations on Sega CD. Did they make something better?
steelhammer
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Fire0nice228 on Fri Jun 22, 2012 5:38 pm

Versus @ 7p
Fire0nice228
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Chefpatrick871 on Fri Jun 22, 2012 5:38 pm

I now pronounce you, traded.
Chefpatrick871
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby mikey287 on Fri Jun 22, 2012 5:43 pm

Good, sane responses to my hypothetical. I would not be unhappy at all, I'd do anything for a Stanley Cup.

Staal for Yandle is a weird trade. Yandle, like I've said, very Letang-ish, not as good defensively though...lefty, offensive d-man.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby It'sagreatdayforhockey! on Fri Jun 22, 2012 5:43 pm

NJ5934 wrote:

I don't really want a lame duck on this team. It's a marathon of a season and it's unlikely the Pens would win a cup this year even with Staal. It's also a possibility that we ride the season out with Staal, go out early in the playoffs, lose him for nothing and Shero finds himself in this position with Geno this time next year.

I'm Not trying to be dramatic, just saying its the GM's job to build for the future, not just the upcoming season. It's unfortunate that we are now in this position because Staal was a fan favorite and a favorite of mine, but he has decided (or I think he has) to move on and done so in a way that has left the Pens at a disadvantage.

It's not like they are getting nothing. They are getting a 1st, Tangradi and Strait or something similar plus a better shot at the cup plus a worse shot at the cup for one team plus potentially a 1st or 2nd for his negotiating rights after the season.
It'sagreatdayforhockey!
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby mikey287 on Fri Jun 22, 2012 5:47 pm

I would not factor getting Staal's negotiating rights' pick into your assessment. The likely assumption and odds-on-favorite is for a UFA not to garner any sort of pick. Much less a first round pick.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Fire0nice228 on Fri Jun 22, 2012 5:49 pm

It'sagreatdayforhockey! wrote:
NJ5934 wrote:

It's not like they are getting nothing. They are getting a 1st, Tangradi and Strait or something similar plus a better shot at the cup plus a worse shot at the cup for one team plus potentially a 1st or 2nd for his negotiating rights after the season.

A first or second for his negotiating rights after the season? I highly doubt.. Hamhuis as a highly sought after defenseman a few years ago only got a third, and it was highly surmised that he wanted to go to Vancouver, much ala Staal/Carolina.
Fire0nice228
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby KG on Fri Jun 22, 2012 5:50 pm

Fire0nice228 wrote:

Versus @ 7p

You mean OLN :D
KG
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby It'sagreatdayforhockey! on Fri Jun 22, 2012 5:52 pm

steelhammer wrote:I tend to run most of my trade evaluations on Sega CD. Did they make something better?

I think the equivalent for you would be Ron Francis to Hartford for Zarley Zalapski. How does that grade out?
It'sagreatdayforhockey!
AHL'er
AHL'er

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins