Shea Weber likes meatloaf

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Shea Weber likes meatloaf

Postby Pavel Bure on Tue May 01, 2012 9:54 am

Is a RESTRICTED FREE AGENT

If the Pens sign him it will set the organization back years.
Last edited by Pavel Bure on Wed May 02, 2012 8:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pavel Bure
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Re: Shea Weber...

Postby Streaks House on Tue May 01, 2012 10:06 am

Weber is at $7.5M this year. I'd reckon he'd want a slight bump this year. Per the 2011 RFA draft pick compensation criteria:

$6.27M-$7.84M: 2 1st round picks, a 2nd, and a 3rd
$7.84 <: 4 1st round picks
Streaks House
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby shmenguin on Tue May 01, 2012 10:15 am

bringing in any big ticket player (even if you get rid of martin somehow) is a giant mistake. if money gets freed up, it should be banked so we can have it available for when letang and staal get raises. if we have money to play with, bring in a solid, short-term 3rd line center and move staal up to top 6 wing. re-sign niskanen and plan on depres being in the lineup next year. that's all.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Tue May 01, 2012 10:22 am

A lot of players are RFAs, they're already overspending on the defense and committed to 6 guys through next season. Why does this matter?
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Pavel Bure on Tue May 01, 2012 10:24 am

Idoit40fans wrote:A lot of players are RFAs, they're already overspending on the defense and committed to 6 guys through next season. Why does this matter?

Because many people are, "TRADE PALE MORTAN! SHINE SHAEY WEBSLINGER!!!!"
Pavel Bure
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby darkstar57 on Tue May 01, 2012 10:34 am

Pavel Bure wrote:Is a RESTRICTED FREE AGENT

How dare you speak common sense with knowledge behind your post. How dare you sir :fist:
darkstar57
AHL'er
AHL'er

Location: A flute with no holes, is not a flute. A donut with no hole, is a Danish

Postby penny lane on Tue May 01, 2012 10:47 am

Pavel Bure wrote:Is a RESTRICTED FREE AGENT

That is exactly how I feel if the pens trade Evgeni!
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby IanMoran on Tue May 01, 2012 10:58 am

Problem: Pens don't have room to sign Jordan Staal

Solution: Sign Shea Webber

:?
IanMoran
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Elementary Penguin on Tue May 01, 2012 11:07 am

I hate to sound like a Playstation GM, but I have been thinking about this seriously since the Pens were bounced. It just may not be financially realistic, but when I thought about what the Pens needed most in that series against Philly (outside of solid goaltending), it was a nasty, do-everything D-man (a la Chris Pronger). The first person that came to mind was Weber.

Then all the talk about moving one of the big 3 started, and it had me thinking (dreaming, maybe) about this possibility. We all know Shero has ties to Nashville and David Poile, and since Sid is apparently chums with Weber from their time as roommates at the Olympics, what are the chances that he could talk to Weber about the possibility of playing in Pittsburgh. Then swing a trade for Weber, sending Staal the other way, with other parts being exchanged?

If Nashville doesn't think they can resign Weber, they might be happy to get a potential cornerstone back in Staal. There would need to be other parts involved, maybe they would think Martin could fit into their system, I don't know. Like I said, it's all Playstation dreaming at this point, but if I could pick one player to add to this team withotu considering cap implications, it would be Weber. Imagine a PP with Letang and Weber on the points, and a top 4 of Letang, Orpik, Weber, Michalek. I could live with that. :)

On a side note, do you even consider moving Malkin in a deal like this if it means you get Weber and you think you can lock him up long term? I guess it comes down to whether you would rather have a superstar at center or defense.
Last edited by Elementary Penguin on Tue May 01, 2012 11:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Elementary Penguin
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Pavel Bure on Tue May 01, 2012 11:10 am

Elementary Penguin wrote:I hate to sound like a Playstation GM, but I have been thinking about this seriously since the Pens were bounced. It just may not be financially realistic, but when I thought about what the Pens needed most in that series against Philly (outside of solid goaltending), it was a nasty, do-everything D-man (a la Chris Pronger). The first person that came to mind was Weber.

Then all the talk about moving one of the big 3 started, and it had me thinking (dreaming, maybe) about this possibility. Since Sid is apparently chums with Weber from their time as roommates at the Olympics, what are the chances that he could talk to Weber about the possibility of playing in Pittsburgh. Then swing a trade for Weber, sending Staal the other way, with other parts being exchanged?

If Nashville doesn't think they can resign Weber, they might be happy to get a potential cornerstone back in Staal. There would need to be other parts involved, maybe they would think Martin could fit into their system, I don't know. Like I said, it's all Playstation dreaming at this point, but if I could pick one player to add to this team withotu considering cap implications, it would be Weber. Imagine a PP with Letang and Weber on the points, and a top 4 of Letang, Orpik, Weber, Michalek. I could live with that. :)

:face:
Pavel Bure
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby TheHammer24 on Tue May 01, 2012 11:29 am

shmenguin wrote:bringing in any big ticket player (even if you get rid of martin somehow) is a giant mistake. if money gets freed up, it should be banked so we can have it available for when letang and staal get raises. if we have money to play with, bring in a solid, short-term 3rd line center and move staal up to top 6 wing. re-sign niskanen and plan on depres being in the lineup next year. that's all.

There's no way RS even contemplates signing those sort of players so much so that it's absurd to talk about Suter. But notwithstanding, a #1 Dman doesn't solve any of the Pens defensive issues -- they're systemic, not personnel related (sorry IT"S ALL MARTIN'S FAULT, people).
TheHammer24
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby no name on Tue May 01, 2012 11:33 am

IanMoran wrote:Problem: Pens don't have room to sign Jordan Staal

Solution: Sign Shea Webber

:?

Trade Staal and Martin 9 million in cap space
for
Weber and sign him to a core deal 8.7 million.

Ok maybe not, but yeah if you wanted to do this it could work. We would have to sgn a bare bones 3rd line center. Or move Jefferies into that position, then once Sid is KOed for the season Jefferies is your second line center. So in other words don't trade Staal.
no name
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby no name on Tue May 01, 2012 11:37 am

Streaks House wrote:Weber is at $7.5M this year. I'd reckon he'd want a slight bump this year. Per the 2011 RFA draft pick compensation criteria:

We can laugh about this when he signs with Philly, Philly wouldn't blink at losing 2 1st rounders to sign Weber, since more than likely Pronger will announce his retirement and then they got one of the best 2 way defencemen in the game.

God help the Pens if this happens.
no name
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby pfim on Tue May 01, 2012 11:41 am

He'd garner 4 first rounders and Nashville will match anyway.
pfim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby TheHammer24 on Tue May 01, 2012 11:42 am

no name wrote:
Streaks House wrote:Weber is at $7.5M this year. I'd reckon he'd want a slight bump this year. Per the 2011 RFA draft pick compensation criteria:

We can laugh about this when he signs with Philly, Philly wouldn't blink at losing 2 1st rounders to sign Weber, since more than likely Pronger will announce his retirement and then they got one of the best 2 way defencemen in the game.

The Flyers have $3 million in projected cap space. They don't need to sign much, but Pronger's K stays on the books. Until 2016 :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
TheHammer24
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby RxBandit66 on Tue May 01, 2012 11:47 am

I think the whole idea of Weber is a big pipe dream. But there is no doubt that he provides exactly what the Pens need. The thing is, look at the Rangers with McDonogh, the Panthers with Gudbranson. Those guys come right in to the NHL in their teens and make a huge impact at both ends of the ice.

The Pens need a young guy like that to step into the picture, because they would fill a void for very low pay, at least for the short term. Once that young player approaches his huge pay day, Martin and Michalek will be off the books.

So adding an 8 million dollar player would be completely unrealistic, even if a big gun is traded. They need a big draft, or to trade for a player or two that are on entry level deals. Adding more stars is not the answer IMO because they have had plenty of stars. They keep losing.

What they are missing are a couple of young stud defensemen that can shut it down and play a good transition game, and a young winger or two that can do Cooke's job or Sullivan's job for cheap.
RxBandit66
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Streaks House on Tue May 01, 2012 11:47 am

TheHammer24 wrote:
no name wrote:

The Flyers have $3 million in projected cap space. They don't need to sign much, but Pronger's K stays on the books. Until 2016 :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

They are stuck with Pronger's contract regardless as it is a 35+ contract. So at best, he's LTIR'd.
Streaks House
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Elementary Penguin on Tue May 01, 2012 11:50 am

I fear Philly getting him as well. It seems they always seem to find a way to get rid of bad contracts and sign whoever they want. Maddening. Weber cannot go to Philly. IMO, the Pens need to either find a way to get him themselves, or they will have to alter their roster to counter that move, because I believe it absolutely tips the scales even more in favor of the Flyers.
Elementary Penguin
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby MRandall25 on Tue May 01, 2012 11:52 am

Elementary Penguin wrote:I fear Philly getting him as well. It seems they always seem to find a way to get rid of bad contracts and sign whoever they want. Maddening. Weber cannot go to Philly. IMO, the Pens need to either find a way to get him themselves, or they will have to alter their roster to counter that move, because I believe it absolutely tips the scales even more in favor of the Flyers.

Read the last 3 posts. Philly isn't signing Weber unless they blow up their entire team.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Elementary Penguin on Tue May 01, 2012 11:56 am

MRandall25 wrote:
Elementary Penguin wrote:I fear Philly getting him as well. It seems they always seem to find a way to get rid of bad contracts and sign whoever they want. Maddening. Weber cannot go to Philly. IMO, the Pens need to either find a way to get him themselves, or they will have to alter their roster to counter that move, because I believe it absolutely tips the scales even more in favor of the Flyers.

Read the last 3 posts. Philly isn't signing Weber unless they blow up their entire team.

I read them. Every year, I think they will be in trouble because of their cap situation, yet they always seem to find a way to pull cap space out of their butts or some desperate team bails them out of a bad contract.

Is their cap space $3 mil including Pronger's salary? Because I am sure they are just going to leave him on LTIR until his contract expires. They can eat that financially.
Elementary Penguin
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby MRandall25 on Tue May 01, 2012 12:02 pm

Elementary Penguin wrote:
MRandall25 wrote:

I read them. Every year, I think they will be in trouble because of their cap situation, yet they always seem to find a way to pull cap space out of their butts or some desperate team bails them out of a bad contract.

Is their cap space $3 mil including Pronger's salary? Because I am sure they are just going to leave him on LTIR until his contract expires. They can eat that financially.

They cannot eat his salary because it's a 35+ contract. If he retires, it stays.

No matter what they do, Pronger's cap hit of 6 mil or whatever is on the books until the contract expires. Period.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Rocco on Tue May 01, 2012 12:05 pm

Hypothetically, would you rather have 4 first rounders over 4 years that each have at best a 50% of becoming a regular NHL player, or Shea Weber?
Rocco
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby sil on Tue May 01, 2012 12:09 pm

Rocco wrote:Hypothetically, would you rather have 4 first rounders over 4 years that each have at best a 50% of becoming a regular NHL player, or Shea Weber?

If we're planning to keep all of Crosby, Malkin, Neal, Letang, and Weber for the LONG term, than I'd honestly prefer Weber of the two...but hey...it just ain't happenin'!
sil
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby MRandall25 on Tue May 01, 2012 12:09 pm

Rocco wrote:Hypothetically, would you rather have 4 first rounders over 4 years that each have at best a 50% of becoming a regular NHL player, or Shea Weber?

With the Pens' situation, 4 first rounders.

If the plan is to keep the team as competitive as possible for the longest time possible, putting all your eggs into the Shea Weber basket and losing assets is not the way to go. That's a very "Win now" approach.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby pfim on Tue May 01, 2012 12:10 pm

They won't sign Weber to an offer sheet because Nashville will match. If Weber wants to leave Nashville, he won't sign an offer sheet either.

From how I understand LTIR, it won't help them with the cap at the end of the year. LTIR is just temporary relief to exceed the upper limit, Pronger's contract still counts against the year end cap calculation.
pfim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Next

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins