WWGRD On Sid

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

WWGRD On Sid

Postby duke66 on Tue May 01, 2012 8:44 pm

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/sports ... 08395.html

"Sidney Crosby needs to be in elite shape to perform at the level that he needs to perform at," Roberts said. "I haven't talked to him, but I don't think he was feeling great. You can't miss that much time in a season, even Sidney Crosby."

"Look at Mats Sundin," Roberts said of the former captain of the Toronto Maple Leafs. "He took six months off, went back to Vancouver and he told me 'Holy crap, I worked hard off the ice and I can't believe how bad I feel out there.'"
duke66
AHL'er
AHL'er

Re: WWGRD On Sid

Postby ivand87 on Tue May 01, 2012 9:22 pm

My estimation based on his performance, speed and battle level, I think his conditioning was at 60%. His effort though was at 110% as usual... He just didn't have that extra step that we saw in the 2008 and 2009 playoffs and even in the 2010 series against Ottawa which he totally dominated.
ivand87
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby relantel on Tue May 01, 2012 9:34 pm

ivand87 wrote:My estimation based on his performance, speed and battle level, I think his conditioning was at 60%. His effort though was at 110% as usual... He just didn't have that extra step that we saw in the 2008 and 2009 playoffs and even in the 2010 series against Ottawa which he totally dominated.

i tend to agree, hence why declining Canada's invite was important. I expect he will spend the offseason getting to where he wants to be by camp.
relantel
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby wondermoose on Tue May 01, 2012 9:35 pm

I think Sid gave it everything he had. He scored the opening goal in the first two games and gave everything he had left in game 3. His numbers weren't bad, as were Malkin's, but yeah, I think Gary's right in his assessment. I said it in another thread, but I think we're going to see an angry, yet mature, Sidney Crosby next year. The Montreal loss made him take his game to new heights before the concussion, but I cannot wait to see what 87 brings to the table in October.
wondermoose
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby ulf on Wed May 02, 2012 7:18 am

i dunno. when sid was out and not cleared for contact, what else did he do besides condition?
ulf
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Hawkeynut on Wed May 02, 2012 7:23 am

Hawkeynut
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Idoit40fans on Wed May 02, 2012 7:24 am

Off ice conditioning is not the same. Most players go through training camp and then still aren't in shape a month or so into the season. Crosby jumped into the middle of regular season just as teams were ramping up for the Playoffs. I'm sure he never caught up conditioning-wise.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Hawkeynut on Wed May 02, 2012 7:24 am

Physical condition vs Game condition are two completely different things. You can practice all you want, it will never rival game conditions.

I totally agree with what Gary has to say and it makes perfect sense.

See you in Sept Sidney! Can't wait.
Hawkeynut
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Hawkeynut on Wed May 02, 2012 7:25 am

Idoit40fans wrote:Off ice conditioning is not the same. Most players go through training camp and then still aren't in shape a month or so into the season. Crosby jumped into the middle of regular season just as teams were ramping up for the Playoffs. I'm sure he never caught up conditioning-wise.

Nope.. and I think he was generally frustrated because of it. His mind was 110% ready but his body and reactionary timing were not.
Hawkeynut
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby slappybrown on Wed May 02, 2012 8:34 am

And he still put up 1.7pts/game.
slappybrown
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby duke66 on Wed May 02, 2012 9:00 am

slappybrown wrote:And he still put up 1.7pts/game.

insane when u think about it. i could see a 2ppg rate for sid all next season.
duke66
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Gaucho on Wed May 02, 2012 10:50 am

I'd say he was the least of our problems.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby topshelf on Wed May 02, 2012 11:01 am

Trade him for Jordan Staal.
topshelf
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby The Snapshot on Wed May 02, 2012 11:03 am

Gaucho wrote:I'd say he was the least of our problems.

I am feeling better that he is going to be fine, but I agree with Roberts that he looked gassed. If you look at the short playoff, you see that all of his best came early in games, which is starkly different than the Sid who would get better and better as games progressed.

I said it when it was first announced that he would not play for Canada, that Sid is going to train hard and be 100% for next camp. That is not going to be pretty for the rest of the league.

He got by on guile and skill to get the points he did down the stretch, but he was clearly not himself. It is important to remember that he had periods of complete and total shut-down during his two recoveries, which is something his body and psyche had never experienced in his your life.

When Lemieux had cancer and came back, he has said many times that the impact of the treatments on his energy level were profound - and he would also admit that he was never a gym rat to begin with like Sid. For Sid to do nothing for months must have been a huge shock to his body's rythym.
The Snapshot
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby BigMcK on Wed May 02, 2012 1:32 pm

Must stink being Sid and not being able to play like Sid.
BigMcK
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby The Snapshot on Wed May 02, 2012 2:36 pm

BigMcK wrote:Must stink being Sid and not being able to play like Sid.

Yet still being better than 99% of the league..... :lol:

Did everyone notice that the newly minted "best player in the world" has only 1 point in the 1st two games of round 2?
The Snapshot
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby ExPatriatePen on Wed May 02, 2012 2:57 pm

Another reason why Gary Roberts should be hired on as a "conditioning coach" for the Pens.

(Only half joking with that comment)
ExPatriatePen
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Source, Destination, Protocol, Port, size, sequence number, check sum... Yep, that about covers it.

Postby Spangler on Thu May 03, 2012 1:38 pm

The Snapshot wrote:

Did everyone notice that the newly minted "best player in the world" has only 1 point in the 1st two games of round 2?

That's what happens when you actually have lines that are dedicated to shutting him down.
Spangler
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby DontToewsMeBro on Thu May 03, 2012 2:10 pm

Spangler wrote:
The Snapshot wrote:

That's what happens when you actually have lines that are dedicated to shutting him down.

As far as I'm concerned this is the first series the Flyers are playing playoff hockey. It's not difficult putting up record numbers when both teams are playing like its an All-Star game.
DontToewsMeBro
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Godric on Thu May 03, 2012 2:11 pm

ExPatriatePen wrote:Another reason why Gary Roberts should be hired on as a "conditioning coach" for the Pens.

(Only half joking with that comment)

That of course is a spectacular dream. I'd be willing to bet that Gary makes more money now working with tons of individuals from different teams than he did when he was playing, let alone restrain himself to one organization
Godric
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Location: Switch the style up and if they hate, let em hate and watch the money pile up

Postby Froggy on Thu May 03, 2012 2:26 pm

Spangler wrote:
The Snapshot wrote:

If you take out that one game where he had 6 points, his numbers aren't amazing
Froggy
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins