Jagr: 'My 1999 Game 6 vs Jersey may have saved the Pens'

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Jagr: 'My 1999 Game 6 vs Jersey may have saved the Pens'

Postby Ben Klingston on Sun May 06, 2012 12:50 pm

From Tom Gulitti, Devils Beat Reporter for the NJRecord

https://twitter.com/#!/TGfireandice

"Jaromir Jagr said today that Game 6 vs. Devils in 1999 with PIT, in which he scored tying and OT goal, "was probably my best game ever."
"Jagr said that Pens might have had to "move to Kansas City because we had no money. We had to make the second round to get the payments."
"Jagr: “Maybe if I didn’t score, the team wouldn’t be in Pittsburgh right now and Crosby would be in Kansas City."
But, "Guys, that was 13 years ago."

Tom Gulitti ‏ @TGfireandice :"Still one of the most impressive performances I've ever seen. Jagr basically played on one leg because he had a bad groin strain."

While I don't necessarily agree with Jagr's statements, it can't be said how great of a performance this was, in perhaps the Pens last game in Pittsburgh. But let's be honest - Mario saved the Pens, not Jags.

All that said, still the best game I've ever attended in person - Student Rush tix for like $15, drove for 3.5 hrs to be there.

Ben Klingston
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 4,857
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 2:59 am
Location: Meeting Mario at Center Ice

Re: Jagr: 'My 1999 Game 6 vs Jersey may have saved the Pens

Postby Pavel Bure on Sun May 06, 2012 1:00 pm

He's such a troll
Pavel Bure
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 13,184
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2007 5:15 pm
Location: http://freebitco.in/?r=289635 get bitcoins

Re: Jagr: 'My 1999 Game 6 vs Jersey may have saved the Pens

Postby Rocco on Sun May 06, 2012 1:06 pm

He's not wrong. Well, maybe about moving to KC since I don't think they had a stadium at that time, but not the rest of it.
Rocco
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 34,874
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 8:34 am
Location: Manor Farm

Re: Jagr: 'My 1999 Game 6 vs Jersey may have saved the Pens

Postby bh on Sun May 06, 2012 1:14 pm

That still gives me goosebumps watching that. What a game. I loved Marty Straka.
bh
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 4,483
Joined: Sat Feb 18, 2006 12:48 am

Re: Jagr: 'My 1999 Game 6 vs Jersey may have saved the Pens

Postby Gaucho on Sun May 06, 2012 1:20 pm

One of my favorite games ever.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 40,553
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 10:22 am
Location: Jay Landsman's cookie jar

Re: Jagr: 'My 1999 Game 6 vs Jersey may have saved the Pens

Postby Ben Klingston on Sun May 06, 2012 1:20 pm

Rocco wrote:He's not wrong. Well, maybe about moving to KC since I don't think they had a stadium at that time, but not the rest of it.


Not wrong about what - it being his best game ever? I agree with that.

It's been a few years since I read the details and history of the finances at that time, but I don't think there is much of a correlation between his play that game and the Pens staying in town. Mario was gonna get his deferred salary one way or the other and I doubt the extra revenue of a few extra home playoff games was going to influence his taking payment via equity in the team.
Ben Klingston
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 4,857
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 2:59 am
Location: Meeting Mario at Center Ice

Re: Jagr: 'My 1999 Game 6 vs Jersey may have saved the Pens

Postby ivand87 on Sun May 06, 2012 1:21 pm

No, Jaromir, you didn't save us from bankruptcy. And Marty Straka pretty much made the winning goal happen, set it up on a platter for you. Yep, Pavel Bure, he has turned into a huge troll. Can this guy stop talking about the Penguins already?
ivand87
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 2,152
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 11:57 pm

Re: Jagr: 'My 1999 Game 6 vs Jersey may have saved the Pens

Postby penny lane on Sun May 06, 2012 1:28 pm

Hit or miss with what Jaromir says... but very true on this one. I remember the huge outbreak of cheers after John Barbero didnt' announce jagr's name as a scratch.
Mario was sitting in the crowd, Jaromir's tying goal, ditched the salute and went with Mario's arms up celebration! Titov played an inspired game and hrdina bedazzled holik on face offs.
Devils team was stacked; stevens, neidermayer, brodeur... Pens blueline ? slegr, darius kasper was out, duct tape?
Thank-you Judge Bernard... bankruptcy case of the pens.
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 28,476
Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2006 6:29 pm
Location: Summer sunshine heals!

Re: Jagr: 'My 1999 Game 6 vs Jersey may have saved the Pens

Postby Rocco on Sun May 06, 2012 1:29 pm

Ben Klingston wrote:
Rocco wrote:He's not wrong. Well, maybe about moving to KC since I don't think they had a stadium at that time, but not the rest of it.


Not wrong about what - it being his best game ever? I agree with that.

It's been a few years since I read the details and history of the finances at that time, but I don't think there is much of a correlation between his play that game and the Pens staying in town. Mario was gonna get his deferred salary one way or the other and I doubt the extra revenue of a few extra home playoff games was going to influence his taking payment via equity in the team.


This is obviously going off memory, but Jagr isn't inventing the stuff about the Pens needing added revenue from another round of the playoffs out of whole cloth.
Rocco
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 34,874
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 8:34 am
Location: Manor Farm

Re: Jagr: 'My 1999 Game 6 vs Jersey may have saved the Pens

Postby skullman80 on Sun May 06, 2012 1:33 pm

I was at that game.... student rushed it, I don't even think it was a sellout to be honest. I was 10 rows behind Brodeur when Jagr scored that GWG. Still one of the best memories I ever had at a Pens game. Paid i think 16$ for the ticket, I still have the stub somewhere.
skullman80
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 18,606
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 12:55 pm
Location: New Kensington, PA

Re: Jagr: 'My 1999 Game 6 vs Jersey may have saved the Pens

Postby Ben Klingston on Sun May 06, 2012 1:36 pm

Rocco wrote:
Ben Klingston wrote:
Rocco wrote:He's not wrong. Well, maybe about moving to KC since I don't think they had a stadium at that time, but not the rest of it.


Not wrong about what - it being his best game ever? I agree with that.

It's been a few years since I read the details and history of the finances at that time, but I don't think there is much of a correlation between his play that game and the Pens staying in town. Mario was gonna get his deferred salary one way or the other and I doubt the extra revenue of a few extra home playoff games was going to influence his taking payment via equity in the team.


This is obviously going off memory, but Jagr isn't inventing the stuff about the Pens needing added revenue from another round of the playoffs out of whole cloth.


Oh, no doubt, they needed every penny they could get, but the added revenue of a few extra playoff games was a drop in the bucket to their overall debt. To be fair, I don't know what the context of his quotes were. Since the Game 6 was May 2, 1999, perhaps the Devils reporter brought it up to him in the context of the date/anniversary. I doubt he just said 'hey guys, remember that 1999 Game 6? Yeah, I was awesome'. And maybe he didn't mean to tie his performance in that game specifically to the Pens staying in town. But I doubt it. :P
Ben Klingston
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 4,857
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 2:59 am
Location: Meeting Mario at Center Ice

Re: Jagr: 'My 1999 Game 6 vs Jersey may have saved the Pens

Postby Ben Klingston on Sun May 06, 2012 1:39 pm

skullman80 wrote:I was at that game.... student rushed it, I don't even think it was a sellout to be honest. I was 10 rows behind Brodeur when Jagr scored that GWG. Still one of the best memories I ever had at a Pens game. Paid i think 16$ for the ticket, I still have the stub somewhere.


Same here. If I remember correctly, it was an early game. I was at school 3.5 hrs away. Potentially the last game in Pens history, and it was not a sellout. Unfreakingbelievable. I talked a friend from Philly (Flyers fan) to drive to Pgh and student rush. Had seats at glass level. He could not believe the atmosphere. I hugged and high fived so many strangers that day.
Ben Klingston
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 4,857
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 2:59 am
Location: Meeting Mario at Center Ice

Re: Jagr: 'My 1999 Game 6 vs Jersey may have saved the Pens

Postby skullman80 on Sun May 06, 2012 1:39 pm

My stub from the game... guess I was actually on the other end, but still 16$ for a B level ticket in the playoffs.. oh how times have changed. Two days before my 16th birthday this game was lol. I'm getting old.

Image
skullman80
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 18,606
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 12:55 pm
Location: New Kensington, PA

Re: Jagr: 'My 1999 Game 6 vs Jersey may have saved the Pens

Postby penny lane on Sun May 06, 2012 1:40 pm

yes, the game not sold out and the fans , we booed when the attendance was announced.

Pens won a game in nj without jagr... morozov, kovalev; they had devils scared. Bobby Dollas, Brad werenka ?

devils team had sykora, brylin, I think billy guerin. #8 upset #1 :D
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 28,476
Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2006 6:29 pm
Location: Summer sunshine heals!

Re: Jagr: 'My 1999 Game 6 vs Jersey may have saved the Pens

Postby The Snapshot on Sun May 06, 2012 3:00 pm

That team was great fun at the time. They had Straka, Lang, Kovalev, Titov, Jagr - plenty of talent.

Few things that video reminded me of - I loved Marty Straka the Energizer Bunny and I wish Ian Moran was as good a player as he was a teammate.
The Snapshot
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 8,276
Joined: Thu Mar 09, 2006 11:28 am
Location: Somewhere between here and there

Re: Jagr: 'My 1999 Game 6 vs Jersey may have saved the Pens

Postby littlemoonboot on Sun May 06, 2012 3:42 pm

Jaromir. Stop.
littlemoonboot
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 11,417
Joined: Thu Mar 27, 2008 9:04 pm
Location: @burgyhockey

Re: Jagr: 'My 1999 Game 6 vs Jersey may have saved the Pens

Postby Steve on Sun May 06, 2012 4:42 pm

I thought the pens were saved when Bettman rigged the Crosby lottery?
Steve
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 5,658
Joined: Wed Feb 01, 2006 11:56 am
Location: Maryland

Re: Jagr: 'My 1999 Game 6 vs Jersey may have saved the Pens

Postby Rocco on Sun May 06, 2012 7:23 pm

Steve wrote:I thought the pens were saved when Bettman rigged the Crosby lottery?


It was a two-stage process.
Rocco
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 34,874
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 8:34 am
Location: Manor Farm

Re: Jagr: 'My 1999 Game 6 vs Jersey may have saved the Pens

Postby Kaizer on Sun May 06, 2012 8:19 pm

still not getting in the rafters, jagoff.
Kaizer
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 9,286
Joined: Tue Aug 01, 2006 11:02 am
Location: Crazy Town

Re: Jagr: 'My 1999 Game 6 vs Jersey may have saved the Pens

Postby Why Not Us on Sun May 06, 2012 9:14 pm

Jagr is definitely trying to sweet talk his way to either a return to Pittsburgh in the summer or his 68 in the rafters.
Why Not Us
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 1,955
Joined: Tue Sep 09, 2008 8:31 pm
Location: In a crooked little town

Re: Jagr: 'My 1999 Game 6 vs Jersey may have saved the Pens

Postby Nizzy on Mon May 07, 2012 1:09 am

"I owe my career to Mario."

"I would play for the minimum to play with Mario"

Minimum 500k.

Jagr offered 1.5M-2.0M by the penguins.

Plays with number 1 rival for 3.3M and says because he wants to win a championship, not because of the money,

Okay Jagr.

1 goal, 10 playoff games -5.

Should have stayed in KHL scumbag. Keep talking blah blah blah
Nizzy
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 2,594
Joined: Tue Dec 11, 2007 2:30 pm
Location: Yaoming_meme.jpg

Re: Jagr: 'My 1999 Game 6 vs Jersey may have saved the Pens

Postby C4 Row E on Mon May 07, 2012 6:14 am

skullman80 wrote:My stub from the game... guess I was actually on the other end, but still 16$ for a B level ticket in the playoffs.. oh how times have changed. Two days before my 16th birthday this game was lol. I'm getting old.

Image


B2 would have been where the gwg was scored. Pens used to shoot twice on the other end of the ice. First OT is a long change.
C4 Row E
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 1,953
Joined: Mon Jun 30, 2008 9:44 am
Location: 119

Re: Jagr: 'My 1999 Game 6 vs Jersey may have saved the Pens

Postby skullman80 on Mon May 07, 2012 8:19 am

C4 Row E wrote:
skullman80 wrote:My stub from the game... guess I was actually on the other end, but still 16$ for a B level ticket in the playoffs.. oh how times have changed. Two days before my 16th birthday this game was lol. I'm getting old.

Image


B2 would have been where the gwg was scored. Pens used to shoot twice on the other end of the ice. First OT is a long change.


Ok.. so I wasn't crazy in my memory then. I was positive I was on the end where the Pens scored that GWG in OT.
skullman80
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 18,606
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 12:55 pm
Location: New Kensington, PA

Re: Jagr: 'My 1999 Game 6 vs Jersey may have saved the Pens

Postby owtahear on Mon May 07, 2012 9:49 am

Was there. Section B21.
owtahear
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 1,289
Joined: Fri May 26, 2006 9:02 pm

Re: Jagr: 'My 1999 Game 6 vs Jersey may have saved the Pens

Postby ville5 on Mon May 07, 2012 10:02 am

It's gonna be so sweet when the Debs bounce Jags and the Cry Girls.
ville5
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 2,667
Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2006 2:17 pm
Location: getting body slammed by kelly kelly

Next

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Chirpin' Grinder, Dickie Dunn, mikey287, Pens Fan Since 1970 and 16 guests

e-mail