Martin for Volchenkov?

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Martin for Volchenkov?

Postby The Current One on Tue May 08, 2012 2:58 am

Seems Volchenkov has fallen out of favor in New Jersey. We know Martin played well in their system, and I wonder if a straight up trade of Martin for Volchenkov would ever be a possibility? Pens would should a little salary, and get a guy who was known as a tough-as-nails defenseman in Ottawa. If nothing else, getting rid of Martin would be a major plus! I think Volchenkov's deal is one year longer than Martin's. Do it!!!!!
The Current One
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Re: Martin for Volchenkov?

Postby pekkasteele on Tue May 08, 2012 4:48 am

But Martin have a NTC or NMC, and took less to play in Pittsburgh than he was offered in NJ if I remember correctly, so why would he agree on going back there?
pekkasteele
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby stopper40 on Tue May 08, 2012 7:34 am

He won't approve a trade back there. I don't think he left there on the best of terms
stopper40
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Pavel Bure on Tue May 08, 2012 7:43 am

:face:
Pavel Bure
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Idoit40fans on Tue May 08, 2012 8:20 am

pekkasteele wrote:But Martin have a NTC or NMC, and took less to play in Pittsburgh than he was offered in NJ if I remember correctly, so why would he agree on going back there?

The chance to play for a winner. :pop:
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby CERV96 on Tue May 08, 2012 8:29 am

Idoit40fans wrote:
pekkasteele wrote:But Martin have a NTC or NMC, and took less to play in Pittsburgh than he was offered in NJ if I remember correctly, so why would he agree on going back there?

The chance to play for a winner. :pop:

Well played
CERV96
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby JS© on Tue May 08, 2012 8:36 am

The Current One wrote:I think Volchenkov's deal is one year longer than Martin's. Do it!!!!!

which makes it an even worse idea. Being stuck with him until he's 33, and he's been on the decline since 2010. And being that he's a shot-blocker, his decline will happen quicker than the average player.

No thanks.
JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby sil on Tue May 08, 2012 8:41 am

JS© wrote:
The Current One wrote:I think Volchenkov's deal is one year longer than Martin's. Do it!!!!!

which makes it an even worse idea. Being stuck with him until he's 33, and he's been on the decline since 2010. And being that he's a shot-blocker, his decline will happen quicker than the average player.
No thanks.

I guess Michalek should've retired sometime last decade then.
sil
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Pavel Bure on Tue May 08, 2012 8:50 am

sil wrote:
JS© wrote:

No thanks.

Not even close to the same style past the shot blocking.
Pavel Bure
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby SolidSnake on Tue May 08, 2012 8:51 am

Pavel Bure wrote:
sil wrote:
JS© wrote:

No thanks.

Michalek is the king of getting pasted into the boards
SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Pens15 on Tue May 08, 2012 8:55 am

Is Volchenkov that bad? From watching these New Jersey games I thought he's looked solid. Contracts aside I'd take him on the Pens over Michalek or Martin right now.
Pens15
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby mikey287 on Tue May 08, 2012 9:26 am

Well, Martin fit well in their system is a strange reason because they aren't running the same systems that they did when he was there. Volchenkov, while on the expected decline (he's too far up on the depth chart), also was the main pairing (with Bryce Salvador) that made the Devils the best PK team in history. And he's on the verge of being at least in the Eastern Conference Finals (hopefully) - though he's mainly just playing 3rd pairing minutes and PK time, especially with Adam Larsson on board now.

I'm not sure why the Devils would do this. I like Volchenkov, but I don't see the Devils accepting the trade.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby sil on Tue May 08, 2012 9:38 am

Pavel Bure wrote:
sil wrote:
JS© wrote:

No thanks.

Which was kind of my point.
sil
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby shmenguin on Tue May 08, 2012 9:39 am

Isn't the story that Martin was pissed at NJ when he left because of how they dealt with his knee injury? Considering his movement clauses, that probably trumps everything else.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby sil on Tue May 08, 2012 9:45 am

I still say, if you're serious about trading Martin, call up Colorado and find out what they'd give up for him? (Oh, and hope Colorado isn't on Paul's list of teams).
sil
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby shmenguin on Tue May 08, 2012 9:52 am

If dealing Martin is a priority for the team because of money, they shouldnt really care what they get back for him. We didn't give anything up to acquire him. It's not necessary to get anything substantive back when giving him away.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby jimreb on Tue May 08, 2012 9:59 am

Yeah, I just rather get a draft pick or a depth forward for Martin and use that money to sign another d-man and have Despres jump in the lineup. I'd be more willing to go through growing pains with Despres than another year of Martin.
jimreb
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby pfim on Tue May 08, 2012 10:02 am

SolidSnake wrote:Michalek is the king of getting pasted into the boards

At least he goes back to play the puck, unlike some other dude I watch.
pfim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Malkamaniac on Tue May 08, 2012 11:05 am

I wanted Volchenkov when the Pens had a chance to get him. Now, Paul Martin is here and I think he left of decently bad terms with NJ.
Malkamaniac
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby thehockeyguru on Tue May 08, 2012 11:16 am

Malkamaniac wrote:I wanted Volchenkov when the Pens had a chance to get him. Now, Paul Martin is here and I think he left of decently bad terms with NJ.

This. I was in the Volchenkov camp, where are those who were happy we got Martin now?
thehockeyguru
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby shmenguin on Tue May 08, 2012 11:19 am

i perused the "Martin Signs" thread a few weeks ago. i don't think people were that thrilled about the signing at the time. there were a lot of "that seems like a lot of money" comments.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby darkstar57 on Tue May 08, 2012 11:23 am

considetring there is a lot of bad blood between martin and uncle lou and the rest of the devils on the way they handled his injury before his free agency i highly doubt he goes back there.

PLUS volchenckov is playing well for the devils this playoff series, and one of the reasons they have the top PK in the league in the regular season, so yeah, they are going to trade him. I think a lot of the "falling out of favor" happened last year (first with the team) and now has settled into a role nicely.
darkstar57
AHL'er
AHL'er

Location: A flute with no holes, is not a flute. A donut with no hole, is a Danish

Postby Pens4Life on Tue May 08, 2012 11:26 am

The Current One wrote:Seems Volchenkov has fallen out of favor in New Jersey. We know Martin played well in their system, and I wonder if a straight up trade of Martin for Volchenkov would ever be a possibility? Pens would should a little salary, and get a guy who was known as a tough-as-nails defenseman in Ottawa. If nothing else, getting rid of Martin would be a major plus! I think Volchenkov's deal is one year longer than Martin's. Do it!!!!!

NO!
We need to free up our salary cap,to re-sign Staal and co.!
Pens4Life
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby sil on Tue May 08, 2012 11:49 am

shmenguin wrote:If dealing Martin is a priority for the team because of money, they shouldnt really care what they get back for him. We didn't give anything up to acquire him. It's not necessary to get anything substantive back when giving him away.

Exactly. What did Chicago get for Campbell when they were desperate to unload his contract last summer?
sil
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby sil on Tue May 08, 2012 11:51 am

shmenguin wrote:i perused the "Martin Signs" thread a few weeks ago. i don't think people were that thrilled about the signing at the time. there were a lot of "that seems like a lot of money" comments.

It was pretty obvious then. I still think the concensus is that he was overpaid by a half mil, maybe a mil (which, granted, is a lot). This past year was extremely dissapointing for various reasons from him, and none of it even seemed to be worth half of $4,000,000, let alone $5,000,000.
sil
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Next

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins