Martin for Volchenkov?

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Martin for Volchenkov?

Postby sil on Tue May 08, 2012 11:52 am

thehockeyguru wrote:
Malkamaniac wrote:I wanted Volchenkov when the Pens had a chance to get him. Now, Paul Martin is here and I think he left of decently bad terms with NJ.

This. I was in the Volchenkov camp, where are those who were happy we got Martin now?

I was extremely happy when we got him...but he was a complete dissapointment this past season, though I don't think Anton in place of Maritn would've solved our issues and gotten us past Philly.
sil
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Idoit40fans on Tue May 08, 2012 1:49 pm

Martin going to PIttsburgh had nothign to do with Volchenkov. It would have been Michalek/Volchenkov.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby no name on Tue May 08, 2012 1:58 pm

If i remember correctly the pens wanted Hamhuis (traded for his rights) and Volchenkov that offseason but once they were snatched up they had to go after the best availible guys in free agency, Martin and Z.

Man we would have a nice looking D with thoes 2 hard hitters back there.
no name
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Streaks House on Tue May 08, 2012 2:04 pm

no name wrote:If i remember correctly the pens wanted Hamhuis (traded for his rights) and Volchenkov that offseason but once they were snatched up they had to go after the best availible guys in free agency, Martin and Z.

Can't say that GMRS didn't try. He knew who he wanted, just didn't work out. Had to settle for the next best.
Streaks House
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby thehockeyguru on Tue May 08, 2012 2:10 pm

Streaks House wrote:
no name wrote:If i remember correctly the pens wanted Hamhuis (traded for his rights) and Volchenkov that offseason but once they were snatched up they had to go after the best availible guys in free agency, Martin and Z.

Can't say that GMRS didn't try. He knew who he wanted, just didn't work out. Had to settle for the next best.

Lol.....Settled for the next best? We would have been better off giving Scuderi and Gill what they wanted. In the end we would have gotten better results and spent half as much.
Last edited by thehockeyguru on Tue May 08, 2012 2:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
thehockeyguru
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Cr@zy871 on Tue May 08, 2012 2:10 pm

I think that half of the hockey world knew that Hamhuis was going to sign with Vancouver that off season... It was pointless to trade for his rights.
Cr@zy871
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby shmenguin on Tue May 08, 2012 2:13 pm

thehockeyguru wrote:
Streaks House wrote:

Lol.....Settled for the next best? We would have been better off giving Scuderi and Gill what they wanted. In the end we would have gotten better results and spent half as much.

They weren't available that summer
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Tue May 08, 2012 2:15 pm

Michalek and Martin were both signed before Volchenkov signed. Hamhuis was signed after both of them as well, and I think after even Volchenkov.
Last edited by Idoit40fans on Tue May 08, 2012 2:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby MRandall25 on Tue May 08, 2012 2:16 pm

thehockeyguru wrote:
Streaks House wrote:

Jesus Christ how many times do we have to say M/M were signed the year after Scuderi and Gill signed elsewhere?
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby penny lane on Tue May 08, 2012 2:20 pm

If the devils throw in Zubrus; a deal! ;) I've always liked volchenkov, but he has injuries and
miles on his body.
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby MRandall25 on Tue May 08, 2012 2:22 pm

Idoit40fans wrote:Michalek and Martin were both signed before Volchenkov signed. Hamhuis was signed after both of them as well, and I think after even Volchenkov.

It could've been that Hamhuis and Volchenkov simply said "We don't want to be in Pittsburgh"...
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby thehockeyguru on Tue May 08, 2012 2:23 pm

MRandall25 wrote:Jesus Christ how many times do we have to say M/M were signed the year after Scuderi and Gill signed elsewhere?

Why don't you see the fact that if Scuderi and Gill were retained there is no need to sign Martin and Michalek?
thehockeyguru
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Streaks House on Tue May 08, 2012 2:24 pm

thehockeyguru wrote:
MRandall25 wrote:Jesus Christ how many times do we have to say M/M were signed the year after Scuderi and Gill signed elsewhere?

Why don't you see the fact that if Scuderi and Gill were retained there is no need to sign Martin and Michalek?

Didn't have the cap space at the time...
Streaks House
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby MRandall25 on Tue May 08, 2012 2:26 pm

thehockeyguru wrote:

:face:
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby thehockeyguru on Tue May 08, 2012 2:30 pm

MRandall25 wrote:
thehockeyguru wrote:

:face:

Some argument that is....
thehockeyguru
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby thehockeyguru on Tue May 08, 2012 2:35 pm

Streaks House wrote:
thehockeyguru wrote:

Pens had 5.5 mil in cap space going into the off-season. They were paying Eaton 2mil on top of that. If they wanted to keep Gill and Scuderi they could have.
thehockeyguru
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Pitt87 on Tue May 08, 2012 3:18 pm

thehockeyguru wrote:
Streaks House wrote:
thehockeyguru wrote:

Pens had 5.5 mil in cap space going into the off-season. They were paying Eaton 2mil on top of that. If they wanted to keep Gill and Scuderi they could have.

Didn't see the value in a 3rd pair, stay at home defenseman getting $4 million bucks. Not that I know personally, but I never think GMRS viewed Scuds as a 2nd pair guy. They viewed Michalek as an upgrade.

I also don't think they expected to get so much out of Nisky, so Martin was a must-have a the time when defenders were at a premium. We traded for Hamhuis and whiffed, missed out on Volchenkov, and were essentially left with the two guys we got. I think, now that we see Despres looking like he can hang out on the third line and work his way up. That said, we still have too many players that would have to play, even if we dumped Martin and one of Engelland and Lovejoy. I just don't see a way out without a buyout.
Pitt87
AHL'er
AHL'er

Location: Admin wrote:Rooting for the Flyers is not allowed here. Seriously.

Postby thehockeyguru on Tue May 08, 2012 3:23 pm

In retrospect at the very minimum we should have retained Gill and let Fedotenko walk.
thehockeyguru
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby sil on Tue May 08, 2012 3:26 pm

I'm pretty sure Ray's top-2 choices of D-men heading into that summer (2010) were Hamhuis and Martin. I even recall McKenzie tweeting something like "And Shero gets his man..." leading into the announcement of the Martin signing. Shero traded for Ham's rights, but I think Ray wasn't willing to pay him more than $4,000,000 per year...plus it was pretty obvious Ham wanted to go back to the western Canada coast where he grew up. Michalek was the consolation prize for Hamhuis, and Martin was the primary target. Odd how the 'consolation' has proved to be the better asset thus far.
sil
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby columbia on Tue May 08, 2012 3:29 pm

If my memory is correct, Volchenkov signed several hours after Shero signed M & M.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby sil on Tue May 08, 2012 3:31 pm

columbia wrote:If my memory is correct, Volchenkov signed several hours after Shero signed M & M.

Indeed you're right. I also recall how Murray signed Gonchar something like .02 seconds after noon.
sil
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Malkamaniac on Tue May 08, 2012 3:46 pm

Hamhuis was all about playing for Vancouver. Good for him too, just another concussion plagued player we don't need.
Malkamaniac
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Tue May 08, 2012 3:50 pm

Like Letang.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Pens15 on Tue May 08, 2012 4:05 pm

Pitt87 wrote:Didn't see the value in a 3rd pair, stay at home defenseman getting $4 million bucks. Not that I know personally, but I never think GMRS viewed Scuds as a 2nd pair guy. They viewed Michalek as an upgrade.

Yeah, and funnily enough, Scuds is currently on the first pairing with Doughty on a damn good defensive team that is still playing.
Pens15
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby MRandall25 on Tue May 08, 2012 4:06 pm

Pens15 wrote:
Pitt87 wrote:Didn't see the value in a 3rd pair, stay at home defenseman getting $4 million bucks. Not that I know personally, but I never think GMRS viewed Scuds as a 2nd pair guy. They viewed Michalek as an upgrade.

Yeah, and funnily enough, Scuds is currently on the first pairing with Doughty on a damn good defensive team that is still playing.

Hindsight is always 20/20.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins