Martin for Volchenkov?

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Martin for Volchenkov?

Postby shmenguin on Mon May 14, 2012 10:50 am

MRandall25 wrote:
shmenguin wrote:scuds doesn't take vacations throughout the season like martin. aside from what martin does or doesn't do on the ice, i don't like having guys on the team who don't feel the need to show up every night. i was happy we got rid of talbot for that reason.

Could argue Scuderi was taking a vacation until his contract year.

not really..

scuderi's development was very linear. he was terrible in 06. he was mediocre in 07. he was capable in 08. he was very good in 09. he didn't have a moment of regression during his entire stay in pittsburgh.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Pavel Bure on Mon May 14, 2012 11:18 am

shmenguin wrote:
MRandall25 wrote:
shmenguin wrote:scuds doesn't take vacations throughout the season like martin. aside from what martin does or doesn't do on the ice, i don't like having guys on the team who don't feel the need to show up every night. i was happy we got rid of talbot for that reason.

Could argue Scuderi was taking a vacation until his contract year.

not really..

scuderi's development was very linear. he was terrible in 06. he was mediocre in 07. he was capable in 08. he was very good in 09. he didn't have a moment of regression during his entire stay in pittsburgh.

Really? He was pretty bad his first couple years. He didn't become serviceable until late 08. He was average in 09 but was very good on the PK. I still shudder at the years with Melichar. Scuderi got about 1M more a year on his contract because of the cup run. As did Orpik and many others. Lets not make Scuderi out to be some great shutdown guy. He was a 3rd pairing PK leader that with Gill routinely got trapped in his own end during even strength.
Pavel Bure
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Idoit40fans on Mon May 14, 2012 11:24 am

I wouldn't want either contract. That said, I think Scuderi's is a better value and even if they were a wash, I would just rather have the smaller cap hit. Either way, calling Scuderi a 3rd pairing player is just dumb. He's an anchor playing 20+ minutes per game on the second best defensive unit in the league.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby shmenguin on Mon May 14, 2012 11:37 am

Pavel Bure wrote:Really? He was pretty bad his first couple years. He didn't become serviceable until late 08.

that's exactly what i said. he was bad when he was a rookie, improved a little but not much his second year. became at least serviceable in his 3rd year and became the player he is now in 09. most would agree that the player he is now is pretty damn good.

just because he was terrible when he was starting out in the NHL doesn't mean he took vacations throughout his career like martin (the original point).
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby sil on Mon May 14, 2012 12:10 pm

Idoit40fans wrote:I wouldn't want either contract. That said, I think Scuderi's is a better value and even if they were a wash, I would just rather have the smaller cap hit. Either way, calling Scuderi a 3rd pairing player is just dumb. He's an anchor playing 20+ minutes per game on the second best defensive unit in the league.

Agreed...but LA's best forwards also backcheck on a regular basis.
sil
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby shmenguin on Mon May 14, 2012 12:23 pm

sil wrote:
Idoit40fans wrote:I wouldn't want either contract. That said, I think Scuderi's is a better value and even if they were a wash, I would just rather have the smaller cap hit. Either way, calling Scuderi a 3rd pairing player is just dumb. He's an anchor playing 20+ minutes per game on the second best defensive unit in the league.

Agreed...but LA's best forwards also backcheck on a regular basis.

scuderi playing 20+ minutes on any team is enough evidence to prove the salient point. the fact that it's a team with an elite defense is just hammering it home.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby columbia on Mon May 14, 2012 12:27 pm

Scuderi averaged 20+ minutes for the Pens, in the 2008-09 playoffs.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Previous

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins