2005, good draft for the pens.

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: 2005, good draft for the pens.

Postby Sheriff66 on Thu May 10, 2012 1:53 pm

Idoit40fans wrote:He started drafting in 2006. Thats 6 full seasons ago. Which of his draft picks are developing to the point that they might contribute soon? Despres.


2006 NHL Entry Draft
2 C Jordan Staal NHL
32 D Carl Sneep -played on the Big club this season
65 D Brian Strait -played on the Big club this season
125 G Chad Johnson
185 D Timo Seppanen

3 guys that played in the NHL this year, Strait is NHL ready, Sneep not as much.

2007 NHL Entry Draft
20 C Angelo Esposito -Got us Dupuis
51 C Keven Veilleux
78 D Robert Bortuzzo -played on the Big club this season
80 C Casey Pierro-Zabotel
111 L Luca Caputi - Played on the Big club before being traded
118 D Alex Grant
141 D Jake Muzzin
171 C Dustin Jeffrey -NHL

Espo was a bust pick, but it got us Hossa at the time and Dupuis now, great haul. Bortuzzo is NHL ready and Jeffrey was taking a regular shift in the NHL before getting hurt.

2008 NHL Entry Draft
29 traded to Atlanta
60 traded to Toronto
90 traded to NYR
120 C Nathan Moon
150 G Alexander Pechurskiy - played on the Big club 1 game
180 G Patrick Killeen
210 D Nick D'Agostino

Not a great year but zero early picks, most late picks are a crapshoot, D'Agostino has potenial down the road to contribute

2009 NHL Entry Draft
30 D Simon Despres -played on the Big club this season
61 D Philip Samuelsson
63 R Ben Hanowski
121 R Nick Petersen
123 D Alex Velischek
151 C Andy Bathgate
181 D Viktor Ekbom

Depres played on the big club, Hanowski after coming straight from HS to D1 has finally looked like the guy we expected him to become.

2010 NHL Entry Draft
20 R Beau Bennett
80 R Bryan Rust
110 R Tom Kuhnhackl
140 L Kenny Agostino
152 D Joe Rogalski
170 D Reid McNeill

Bennett left school to play in WB/S, Kuhnhackl has had a nice CHL career so far, and Rust and Agostino have nice potential to help down the road.

2011 NHL Entry Draft
23 D Joe Morrow
54 D Scott Harrington
144 C Dominik Uher
174 W Josh Archibald
209 C Scott Wilson

Morrow is close to NHL ready, Harrington has played fantastic this year and made Canadas WJC team(great pick Ray), Uher was over a PPG in the WHL with 33 goals and has grit , Archibald played on the US WJC team as a freshman in D1, and Wilson was the best freshman in D1 last year for UMASS-Lowell

Looks like we did get quite a bit of contributions already, with potential to get much much more soon. :thumb:
Last edited by Sheriff66 on Fri May 11, 2012 10:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sheriff66
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'
 
Posts: 396
Joined: Wed Apr 29, 2009 9:55 am
Location: Irwin

Re: 2005, good draft for the pens.

Postby columbia on Thu May 10, 2012 1:56 pm

Thanks for the rundown, sheriff66. :thumb:
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 46,773
Joined: Wed Feb 20, 2008 12:13 am

Re: 2005, good draft for the pens.

Postby Streaks House on Thu May 10, 2012 9:31 pm

2007: Jake Muzzin. Made the Kings out of training camp last year, played 11 games. Playing for the AHL Manchester Monarchs this year.
Streaks House
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 1,488
Joined: Fri Jan 07, 2011 8:16 pm
Location: Ted Carrick's Table

Re: 2005, good draft for the pens.

Postby dman66 on Thu May 10, 2012 10:09 pm

As good as the Wings scouts are, in the same time period that Shero has had, only one player has played the equivalent of a season or more in the NHL and that is Shawn Matthias with the Panthers
dman66
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 3,784
Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2006 6:04 pm
Location: Dahntahn Baltimore, MD

Re: 2005, good draft for the pens.

Postby Rylan on Fri May 11, 2012 9:15 am

If Zetterburg and Datsyuk don't pan out, how is the Wings drafting them a shrewd move? It was a low-risk, high reward draft pick that worked. I give the Wings credit for picking them. But at the same time, they were late round draft picks.

In the 1998 draft, Fischer and Datsyuk are the only 2 players of note.
In the 1999 draft, Zetterberg is the only player to have any length of playing time in the NHL.

3 players out of 2 drafts is not really what I would consider to be greatest drafters ever. But, getting 2 all-stars late is rather unheard of and I do give the Red Wings credit for drafting them. But I refuse to call the moves "shrewd"
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 16,000
Joined: Sun Aug 30, 2009 12:07 am
Location: Dead and Without Love

Re: 2005, good draft for the pens.

Postby Sheriff66 on Fri May 11, 2012 9:33 am

Streaks House wrote:2007: Jake Muzzin. Made the Kings out of training camp last year, played 11 games. Playing for the AHL Manchester Monarchs this year.


I was just referencing players that contributed to the Pens, but this is correct. Chad Johnson played 6 games for the Rangers as well.
Sheriff66
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'
 
Posts: 396
Joined: Wed Apr 29, 2009 9:55 am
Location: Irwin

Re: 2005, good draft for the pens.

Postby Sheriff66 on Fri May 11, 2012 9:52 am

Caputi and Pechurskiy played NHL games for the Pens
Sheriff66
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'
 
Posts: 396
Joined: Wed Apr 29, 2009 9:55 am
Location: Irwin

Re: 2005, good draft for the pens.

Postby Sheriff66 on Fri May 11, 2012 9:57 am

Draft picks games played in the NHL on any team since 2006

Red Wings picks - 370

Penguins picks - 587
Sheriff66
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'
 
Posts: 396
Joined: Wed Apr 29, 2009 9:55 am
Location: Irwin

Re: 2005, good draft for the pens.

Postby Puck Drama on Fri May 11, 2012 6:07 pm

Look at Shero busts - Espisito, Velleiux, Zabotel, Samuelsson Sneep, Straight and Bennett. They are far greater than his meager successes.
Puck Drama
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 911
Joined: Mon Jan 12, 2009 1:30 pm

Re: 2005, good draft for the pens.

Postby Pavel Bure on Fri May 11, 2012 6:46 pm

Puck Drama wrote:Look at Shero busts - Espisito, Velleiux, Zabotel, Samuelsson Sneep, Straight and Bennett. They are far greater than his meager successes.

I hope one of these days this troll account is revealed. :lol:
Pavel Bure
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 13,621
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2007 5:15 pm
Location: http://freebitco.in/?r=770437 BITCOINS get them

Re: 2005, good draft for the pens.

Postby Chefpatrick871 on Fri May 11, 2012 11:57 pm

Pavel Bure wrote:
Puck Drama wrote:Look at Shero busts - Espisito, Velleiux, Zabotel, Samuelsson Sneep, Straight and Bennett. They are far greater than his meager successes.

I hope one of these days this troll account is deleted. :lol:

fyp
Chefpatrick871
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 6,242
Joined: Wed Jan 27, 2010 7:56 pm
Location: Eating muffins with Derpy

Re: 2005, good draft for the pens.

Postby Why Not Us on Sat May 12, 2012 1:22 am

I think Atlanta was more after Armstrong & Christensen than Esposito. Giving him credit for getting Hossa & Dupuis is a reach.
Why Not Us
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 1,962
Joined: Tue Sep 09, 2008 8:31 pm
Location: In a crooked little town

Re: 2005, good draft for the pens.

Postby MRandall25 on Sat May 12, 2012 1:52 am

Why Not Us wrote:I think Atlanta was more after Armstrong & Christensen than Esposito. Giving him credit for getting Hossa & Dupuis is a reach.


He got one of the best wings in the game and a guy who has continued to consistently produce after the trade for 2 3rd-liners-at-best and a 1st round bust... I don't see how you can't give him credit.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 17,096
Joined: Tue Dec 06, 2011 6:11 pm
Location: BOBROVSKY!!!

Re: 2005, good draft for the pens.

Postby Puck Drama on Sat May 12, 2012 7:30 am

Getting Hossa was a good thing, but he did it with Patrick assets, Espisito was a throw in. Just like how he got Nealkerovsky and Kunitz. Shero's drafts have brought only Staal and a few tweeners.
Puck Drama
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 911
Joined: Mon Jan 12, 2009 1:30 pm

Re: 2005, good draft for the pens.

Postby Why Not Us on Sat May 12, 2012 9:45 am

MRandall25 wrote:
Why Not Us wrote:I think Atlanta was more after Armstrong & Christensen than Esposito. Giving him credit for getting Hossa & Dupuis is a reach.


He got one of the best wings in the game and a guy who has continued to consistently produce after the trade for 2 3rd-liners-at-best and a 1st round bust... I don't see how you can't give him credit.


Esposito shouldn't get any credit, not Shero. He was a throw in. Thrashers management said they wanted Armstrong or no deal. So to say things like "Esposito got Dupuis" is not true. The deal would've been done without him.
Why Not Us
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 1,962
Joined: Tue Sep 09, 2008 8:31 pm
Location: In a crooked little town

Re: 2005, good draft for the pens.

Postby MRandall25 on Sat May 12, 2012 10:39 am

Why Not Us wrote:
MRandall25 wrote:
Why Not Us wrote:I think Atlanta was more after Armstrong & Christensen than Esposito. Giving him credit for getting Hossa & Dupuis is a reach.


He got one of the best wings in the game and a guy who has continued to consistently produce after the trade for 2 3rd-liners-at-best and a 1st round bust... I don't see how you can't give him credit.


Esposito shouldn't get any credit, not Shero. He was a throw in. Thrashers management said they wanted Armstrong or no deal. So to say things like "Esposito got Dupuis" is not true. The deal would've been done without him.


Ah, I thought you were referring to Shero.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 17,096
Joined: Tue Dec 06, 2011 6:11 pm
Location: BOBROVSKY!!!

Re: 2005, good draft for the pens.

Postby meecrofilm on Sat May 12, 2012 3:49 pm

Sheriff66 wrote: Harrington has played fantastic this year and made Canadas WJC team(great pick Ray)


Speaking of Harrington, he was just named to the First Team OHL All-Star team, alongside Dougie Hamilton.

http://ontariohockeyleague.com/article/ ... ams/122255

He also finished second in voting to Hamilton for OHL defenseman of the year, but his Knights recently topped Hamilton's Ice Dogs and will now be playing for the Memorial Cup.
meecrofilm
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 11,481
Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2007 6:09 pm
Location: Filly don't do rebounds.

Re: 2005, good draft for the pens.

Postby tfrizz on Sat May 12, 2012 4:46 pm

meecrofilm wrote:
Sheriff66 wrote: Harrington has played fantastic this year and made Canadas WJC team(great pick Ray)


Speaking of Harrington, he was just named to the First Team OHL All-Star team, alongside Dougie Hamilton.

http://ontariohockeyleague.com/article/ ... ams/122255

He also finished second in voting to Hamilton for OHL defenseman of the year, but his Knights recently topped Hamilton's Ice Dogs and will now be playing for the Memorial Cup.


Harrington looks like a fantastic pick. Not a lot of flash, but the kid's a sound defensively as they come - exactly what the Pens need.
tfrizz
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 8,184
Joined: Wed Oct 21, 2009 9:49 am
Location: Freddy Beach

Re: 2005, good draft for the pens.

Postby Puck Drama on Sat May 12, 2012 5:47 pm

You can't go by Harrington playing as an overager in Juniors. Sure he looks decent playing against boys. He has some pro potential. But he is along way away.
Puck Drama
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 911
Joined: Mon Jan 12, 2009 1:30 pm

Re: 2005, good draft for the pens.

Postby tfrizz on Sat May 12, 2012 7:11 pm

Puck Drama wrote:You can't go by Harrington playing as an overager in Juniors. Sure he looks decent playing against boys. He has some pro potential. But he is along way away.


Harrington was an 18-year-old this season (turned 19 in March) - that's nowhere near "an overager".
tfrizz
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer
 
Posts: 8,184
Joined: Wed Oct 21, 2009 9:49 am
Location: Freddy Beach

Re: 2005, good draft for the pens.

Postby HomerPenguin on Sat May 12, 2012 7:40 pm

Puck Drama wrote:Look at Shero busts - Espisito, Velleiux, Zabotel, Samuelsson Sneep, Straight and Bennett. They are far greater than his meager successes.


Look, I'll grant you that Straight has been a bit of a disappointment so far, but Shero has also drafted Curve, Angle, Swirl, Crooked, and that kid out of Slovakia, Zigzag. Those kids might still pan out.
HomerPenguin
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 10,884
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2006 12:50 pm
Location: ...

Re: 2005, good draft for the pens.

Postby meecrofilm on Sun May 13, 2012 2:16 am

tfrizz wrote:
Puck Drama wrote:You can't go by Harrington playing as an overager in Juniors. Sure he looks decent playing against boys. He has some pro potential. But he is along way away.


Harrington was an 18-year-old this season (turned 19 in March) - that's nowhere near "an overager".


Look who you're replying too.......

In fact, I wouldn't even have seen that post if you hadn't quoted it :P
meecrofilm
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 11,481
Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2007 6:09 pm
Location: Filly don't do rebounds.

Re: 2005, good draft for the pens.

Postby mikey287 on Sun May 13, 2012 5:07 pm

Puck Drama wrote:You can't go by Harrington playing as an overager in Juniors. Sure he looks decent playing against boys. He has some pro potential. But he is along way away.


What the hell...?
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 17,499
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 6:40 pm
Location: Philadelphia, PA - @MichaelFarkasHF

Re: 2005, good draft for the pens.

Postby mikey287 on Sun May 13, 2012 5:09 pm

Also, I think the Stars are the new Red Wings in terms of late round success...their 5th rounders do very well...

I don't want to diminish what Hakan Andersson has done in Detroit though...he also found Alexander Edler, but the Canucks got word that he went to see Edler twice and picked him without seeing him play...so he should get credit there too.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 17,499
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 6:40 pm
Location: Philadelphia, PA - @MichaelFarkasHF

Re: 2005, good draft for the pens.

Postby Froggy on Sun May 13, 2012 11:34 pm

How funny would it be if the wings started scouting horrible European players just to trick other teams into chasing them?
Froggy
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 17,655
Joined: Sat Aug 12, 2006 2:40 pm
Location: http://DrunkInAGraveyard.com

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: bse, DudeMan2766, litz2010, thedude400 and 30 guests


e-mail