Last good-bye to the Igloo

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Last good-bye to the Igloo

Postby penny lane on Tue May 08, 2012 12:01 pm

:( nothing more to see here.

Pittsburgh news now ‏ @PittsburghPG
Civic Arena all but gone http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/bus ... ne-634897/
Last edited by penny lane on Tue May 08, 2012 12:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Re: Last good-bye to the Igloo

Postby sil on Tue May 08, 2012 12:03 pm

penny lane wrote:Image
:( nothing more to see here.

But plenty to remember. :D
sil
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby no name on Tue May 08, 2012 2:00 pm

Its odd they ripped it down so fast just to have nothing to put up there... that whole area can sit for a few years until they decide what to build there.
no name
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby sil on Tue May 08, 2012 3:29 pm

Notice the guy jaywalking in the street.
sil
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby CERV96 on Tue May 08, 2012 3:33 pm

no name wrote:Its odd they ripped it down so fast just to have nothing to put up there... that whole area can sit for a few years until they decide what to build there.

The Penguins plans to use the site for parking, temporarily at least, once the land has been graded. The SEA hopes to have the parking ready by September.

It's in the full article.

http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/bus ... 34897/?p=0
CERV96
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby emptyfriend on Tue May 08, 2012 5:12 pm

This is the part of the article that actually makes me angry.....
"The best seats in the house -- actually the only ones -- sit in a heap, mangled and covered in dust."
Why did they have to be gangsters and only sell them for $500 when they were just going to junk them anyway? I know people would have purchased ALOT more if the price was actually reasonable......Anyone try to garbage pick?
emptyfriend
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby DudeMan2766 on Wed May 09, 2012 1:25 am

Never really thought I would miss the thing, just kinda got sad periodically as the pics came out of it becomming less and less, but that shot right there makes me depressed. With the marquee still standing. Next time I ride thru there i may very well shed a tear.
DudeMan2766
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby sj? on Wed May 09, 2012 11:27 am

:cry:
sj?
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Malkamaniac on Wed May 09, 2012 11:38 am

I hope they leave the pillar globe up.
Malkamaniac
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby jimjom on Wed May 09, 2012 2:14 pm

At least the Pens did a great job of commemorating the old barn on its way out. I mean, they could have just brought in about 40 ex players and had them walk to center ice before the last regular season game and play a 5 minute video about the building afterwards. Then they could sell trinkets made out of the building's roof panels for profit. But the Pens front office would never do that, right?
jimjom
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby canaan on Thu May 10, 2012 3:32 pm

jimjom wrote:At least the Pens did a great job of commemorating the old barn on its way out. I mean, they could have just brought in about 40 ex players and had them walk to center ice before the last regular season game and play a 5 minute video about the building afterwards. Then they could sell trinkets made out of the building's roof panels for profit. But the Pens front office would never do that, right?

what did you want?
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Rylan on Thu May 10, 2012 3:33 pm

Its a building. No more, no less.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Malkamaniac on Thu May 10, 2012 3:35 pm

canaan wrote:
jimjom wrote:At least the Pens did a great job of commemorating the old barn on its way out. I mean, they could have just brought in about 40 ex players and had them walk to center ice before the last regular season game and play a 5 minute video about the building afterwards. Then they could sell trinkets made out of the building's roof panels for profit. But the Pens front office would never do that, right?

what did you want?

His seat?
Malkamaniac
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby MRandall25 on Thu May 10, 2012 3:38 pm

I thought they did that? They brought guys like Rob Brown out (this was 2 years ago, memory's hazy), then they sold the roof ornaments...
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby skullman80 on Thu May 10, 2012 10:05 pm

I think he was being sarcastic...
skullman80
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby JS© on Fri May 11, 2012 8:21 am

emptyfriend wrote:This is the part of the article that actually makes me angry.....
"The best seats in the house -- actually the only ones -- sit in a heap, mangled and covered in dust."
Why did they have to be gangsters and only sell them for $500 when they were just going to junk them anyway? I know people would have purchased ALOT more if the price was actually reasonable......Anyone try to garbage pick?

I'd be lying if I said it didn't cross my mind.

But to run through all that rubble, trying to find something to take home, then thinking about the whole legal side of it, I decided against it. At the very least, there's trespassing and if they wanted to get all uppity, it is a form of theft. I don't know if they'd cite you, send you home, or whatever, but I wasn't really up for finding out. :)

And as much as I hate all things Philly, I thought I heard they let people have one last run through the Spectrum where they paid x dollars and they were able to take whatever they wanted.

edit: yes, found it. $25 for "if you can carry it, you can keep it". If that were the case here, they would have had the arena dismantled in 30 days. :)
http://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/news/loc ... 25993.html

edit #2 but it appears that tools "were not permitted". I'm sure they found their way into the place though. The $25 also included a commerative crystal.
http://www.wellsfargocenterphilly.com/n ... ?story=908
JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Hawkeynut on Fri May 11, 2012 12:11 pm

JS© wrote:
emptyfriend wrote:This is the part of the article that actually makes me angry.....

I'd be lying if I said it didn't cross my mind.

But to run through all that rubble, trying to find something to take home, then thinking about the whole legal side of it, I decided against it. At the very least, there's trespassing and if they wanted to get all uppity, it is a form of theft. I don't know if they'd cite you, send you home, or whatever, but I wasn't really up for finding out. :)

And as much as I hate all things Philly, I thought I heard they let people have one last run through the Spectrum where they paid x dollars and they were able to take whatever they wanted.

edit: yes, found it. $25 for "if you can carry it, you can keep it". If that were the case here, they would have had the arena dismantled in 30 days. :)
http://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/news/loc ... 25993.html

edit #2 but it appears that tools "were not permitted". I'm sure they found their way into the place though. The $25 also included a commerative crystal.
http://www.wellsfargocenterphilly.com/n ... ?story=908

That is frikken awesome! $25 to pillage and loot! I would be like a kid in a toystore, what piece do I want? Of course I would be armed with a set of wrenches and tin-snips taped to my legs :wink:
Hawkeynut
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby jimjom on Sat May 12, 2012 12:20 pm

MRandall25 wrote:

I thought they did that? They brought guys like Rob Brown out (this was 2 years ago, memory's hazy), then they sold the roof ornaments...

I was being sarcastic, sorry bros. That said I did get a sweet arena roof beer glass from my wife as a gift (that part isn't sarcasm!) :) :D
jimjom
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby JS© on Sat May 12, 2012 12:22 pm

and after thinking about this for a bit, there probably won't be an arena coming down any time soon where we'd be able to do this.

CEC: opened in 2010
Nationwide Arena: 2000
Verizon Center: 1997
First Niagara Arena/HSBC Arena: opened in 1996
Wells Fargo Center: 1996

Anything beyond that, and I'd be looking at 6+ hrs to drive.

oops, almost forgot to add Joe Louis Arena in Detroit.
JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby pensfan16 on Sat May 12, 2012 9:24 pm

I still like the civic arena better than consol.
Sad days!!!
pensfan16
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby lowedog on Sun May 13, 2012 8:27 am

Malkamaniac wrote:I hope they leave the pillar globe up.

If you're referring to the little replica arena/marquee, I'm with you. Either leave it or mark what would have been center-ice with it.
lowedog
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby JS© on Sun May 13, 2012 5:51 pm

pensfan16 wrote:I still like the civic arena better than consol.
Sad days!!!

I'm not directing this at you, but it's more towards the comment in general.

During the 2000s, all you heard was "I can't wait until we get a new arena", even to the point where the chant would break out from the crowd. Now that we have a new arena, that same crowd is saying "I miss the MellonCivic Arena" or something along those lines.

I miss the arena as much as the next person, but it needed to go.
JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins