Never thought the Pens could look worse than the already are

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Never thought the Pens could look worse than the already are

Postby Bioshock on Tue May 08, 2012 9:53 pm

Until tonight...

The second round was even more damning than the first round for the Pens. ESPECIALLY the coaching staff.

The Devils were ready. They took away time and space and most of all, adjusted to that PP unit and made it look inept.

A dew weeks ago, we were all upset about losing to the Flyers and looking so bad while doing so. Now, we all have to deal with the reality that the Flyers just aren't that good and the Pens contributed to their success even more than any of us could imagine.
Bioshock
AHL'er
AHL'er

Re: Never thought the Pens could look worse than the already

Postby Chefpatrick871 on Tue May 08, 2012 9:57 pm

Meh, the devils have been a more defensively sound team than just about anything we put on the ice in the past 15 or so years.

What makes me fume is how in control of thier emotions new jersey was for all five games. Zero Shenanagins, no stupid penalties or suspensions.
Chefpatrick871
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Location: Not saying I'm at your mom's house, not saying I'm not.

Postby shmenguin on Tue May 08, 2012 10:04 pm

this series definitely made the pens look bad. if we had 75% of the composure that NJ did, we win that series. but nope. letang goes haywire and shushes the crowd, a harvard graduate engages in stupid meaningles scrums in a 3-1 game that we're in control of, our captain decides to flick someone's glove away because he's playing too well for him to stand, our hart finalist acts like a spoiled baby game in - game out. and that's what - only about 10% of all the breakdowns that happened?

we completely blew it. this hammers that home. shero needs to tape everyone's eyelids open and make them watch this series. they should be ashamed right now.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby MRandall25 on Tue May 08, 2012 10:05 pm

Or we can quit playing the "Woe is us" game and look at it as the Flyers wasting everything they had on us.

Seriously. People. Life is much more enjoyable when you don't let this stuff get to you.

This has been a public service announcement.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby SolidSnake on Tue May 08, 2012 10:09 pm

MRandall25 wrote:Or we can quit playing the "Woe is us" game and look at it as the Flyers wasting everything they had on us.

Seriously. People. Life is much more enjoyable when you don't let this stuff get to you.

For someone saying this, you sure put a lot of effort into preaching about not letting stuff get to you, obviously you care.
SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby tfrizz on Tue May 08, 2012 10:12 pm

shmenguin wrote:they should be ashamed right now.

Ashamed?

tfrizz
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby SolidSnake on Tue May 08, 2012 10:12 pm

MRandall25 wrote:
SolidSnake wrote:
MRandall25 wrote:Or we can quit playing the "Woe is us" game and look at it as the Flyers wasting everything they had on us.

For someone saying this, you sure put a lot of effort into preaching about not letting stuff get to you, obviously you care.

I care about the team. I don't care for the whining that comes after everything from the fans who think their life is somehow lesser because the Pens lost.

Get over yourself. You have ZERO control over it. Just let it be.

Well, couldn't the same be said for you? people have reactions to sports and their teams, you deal with it. Do you think that you're gonna change things because of you preaching that they shouldn't be upset? :lol:
SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Bathgate on Tue May 08, 2012 10:14 pm

I think back to that mid-March game in Newark that I attended in person in which the Pens overwhelmed the Devils, winning easily as they outshot them by 30. It was Crosby's second game of his second comeback this season. Everything was clicking for the Pens; nothing was going right for the Devils as they looked like a bunch of amateurs. After that game, however, things went downhill for the Pens. I think that game may have had something to do with the downfall. They won that game so convincingly with a display of pure talent that they thought they could win on talent alone, and became super frustrated and undisciplined when faced with adversity.
Bathgate
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby MRandall25 on Tue May 08, 2012 10:14 pm

SolidSnake wrote:
MRandall25 wrote:
SolidSnake wrote:

I care about the team. I don't care for the whining that comes after everything from the fans who think their life is somehow lesser because the Pens lost.

Well, couldn't the same be said for you? people have reactions to sports and their teams, you deal with it. Do you think that you're gonna change things because of you preaching that they shouldn't be upset? :lol:

I think it would make things more enjoyable for everyone if the majority wasn't on the verge of a massive depressive episode.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby SolidSnake on Tue May 08, 2012 10:16 pm

This is massive depressive
http://twitter.com/#!/LOLVancouver

Not because some people on here want to make changes to the coach or players
SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby shmenguin on Tue May 08, 2012 10:18 pm

most people aren't as annoyed by complaining as they are by people complaining about the complaining. if you don't like a topic, stay out of it. not that hard.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby SolidSnake on Tue May 08, 2012 10:19 pm

shmenguin wrote:most people aren't as annoyed by complaining as they are by people complaining about the complaining. if you don't like a topic, stay out of it. not that hard.

agreed
SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Malkamaniac on Tue May 08, 2012 10:51 pm

I'm so over the Pens loss that I enjoyed Philly wasting another great shot at getting to the cup. There's only one winner every year to begin with. Doesn't really matter what round you lose in if you still lost.
Malkamaniac
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Rocco on Tue May 08, 2012 10:57 pm

MRandall25 wrote:
SolidSnake wrote:

The amount of control I have over something has zero to do with how I feel about something. The two are unrelated.
Rocco
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Rylan on Tue May 08, 2012 11:00 pm

Malkamaniac wrote:I'm so over the Pens loss that I enjoyed Philly wasting another great shot at getting to the cup. There's only one winner every year to begin with. Doesn't really matter what round you lose in if you still lost.

My feelings exactly.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby jimjom on Wed May 09, 2012 12:05 am

Malkamaniac wrote:I'm so over the Pens loss that I enjoyed Philly wasting another great shot at getting to the cup. There's only one winner every year to begin with. Doesn't really matter what round you lose in if you still lost.

This pretty much describes how I feel also. Glad that goon squad of punks lost and the Best Player in the World got to watch in the press box, Jagr and Talbot didn't get to touch the Cup, and the arrogant coach's system collapses. Over the Pens loss, happy this happened and rooting for either LA or PHX.
jimjom
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Gaucho on Wed May 09, 2012 6:45 am

The Pens don't look any worse than they did before. But I look forward to another of these threads once the Rangers take care of the Devils.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby pens2005 on Wed May 09, 2012 7:20 am

pens2005
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby pens2005 on Wed May 09, 2012 7:26 am

If you read posts in this thread though all some of you are doing is whining because we shoulda coulda woulda.

We lost. We played terrible, flyers obviously were fired up for 4 of their games that we weren't ready for. They kicked our ass.

They may have emptied their tanks doing so though. They looked tired and beat up all series long. Honestly I feel that their cup was round 1.
pens2005
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby pens2005 on Wed May 09, 2012 7:29 am

Watching the replay of game 5 it's so easy to see how much more disciplined the devils were. Every cheap shot the flyers took the Devils just skated away. Whereas we would have started a giant scrum. We got so caught up in the rivalry part of it which we never seem to do.
pens2005
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby penny lane on Wed May 09, 2012 8:09 am

Watching all the games, I see that the pens defense could not withhold the flyer pressure. Whether from strategy, talent, or combo of both. Free to roam all around the goal.
I was reading dave tippett, he had a quoke about making the area around mike smith mud.

Yesterday Joel Quennville let go an assitant coach, but he also had quotes about his failures in coaching the hawks this year and what he needs to do better. Refreshing.

GM Ray Shero, changes are needed from philosophy down to practical play on the ice. To beat any team, not just the flyers.
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby CERV96 on Wed May 09, 2012 8:38 am

:thumb:

this 100%
CERV96
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Digitalgypsy66 on Wed May 09, 2012 8:51 am

I just think the whole thing came up to matchups. The Flyers were the worst possible team for this Penguins squad to face in the first round. The Flyers had momentum with a couple of late season games against the Penguins, and the Pens began reading the media hype about the team.

On the flipside, this Devils team was the worst possible team the Flyers could have faced at this point in the playoffs. A good amount of skill, great coaching staff/system, a playoff performing goalie, and most importantly - a veteran lineup that was disciplined. The Devils took 2 minutes of penalties last night in an elimination game, and we all know how the refs love giving the team that is behind plenty of PP opportunities late in a game. Devils obviously matched up better against the Flyers.

And I've said this repeatedly, but if the Pens held on to win that game vs. the Flyers in OT and one win against the non-playoff bound Isles down the stretch, we would have been all complaining about what a feminine hygiene product Chris Neil was.
Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Shakes on Wed May 09, 2012 8:54 am

Rylan wrote:

My feelings exactly.

Yep.
Shakes
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby shafnutz05 on Wed May 09, 2012 8:56 am

MRandall25 wrote:
SolidSnake wrote:

Your attitude is obnoxious. You are honestly calling out people for discussing the Penguins on a Penguins message board. Even during the Flyers series, your over-the-top optimism was difficult to take. "IT'S ALRIGHT GUYS, IT MIGHT BE A 3-0 SERIES BUT THEY'VE GOT THIS. YOU ARE ALL IDIOTS FOR COMPLAINING, GET A GRIP."

As shmenguin and others have said, the only thing that annoys me more than Puck Drama types are the people that make a big kerfuffle over negative fan commentary on the team.

All that being said, I enjoyed the hell out of the Flyers loss, and wasn't really thinking about it too much in a Penguins context. But I don't blame the people that did, because they have a point. You can discuss the realities about the team without being "miserable" or thinking your life is devoid of meaning.
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Next

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins