Never thought the Pens could look worse than the already are

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Never thought the Pens could look worse than the already

Postby columbia on Wed May 09, 2012 9:01 am

I can't improve on that.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby MRandall25 on Wed May 09, 2012 9:14 am

I guess you're used to it.

It gets hard trying to legitimately discuss hockey when 95% of the people who post are always :scared: :scared: after any little bit of adversity.

Negative commentary is one thing, but this whole thing where people treat every little problem like it's the end of the world or act like they'll never watch again (even though they're right back once the Pens win a game) is, for lack of a better term, insanity.

Like I said, maybe you're just used to it. I've never really seen people overreact to something this trivial before.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby canaan on Wed May 09, 2012 9:16 am

MRandall25 wrote:I guess you're used to it.

It gets hard trying to legitimately discuss hockey when 95% of the people who post are always :scared: :scared: after any little bit of adversity.

Negative commentary is one thing, but this whole thing where people treat every little problem like it's the end of the world or act like they'll never watch again (even though they're right back once the Pens win a game) is, for lack of a better term, insanity.

Like I said, maybe you're just used to it. I've never really seen people overreact to something this trivial before.

i once had a kid overreact about being kicked off of an online hockey team--it was incredible.
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby columbia on Wed May 09, 2012 9:21 am

I took a peek at a certain message board and they are not taking it well....it happens.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Digitalgypsy66 on Wed May 09, 2012 9:27 am

columbia wrote:I took a peek at a certain message board and they are not taking it well....it happens.

The comments at Philly.com were bad enough, I can't imagine "over there." :lol:

8 more years of Bryzaster
lol
Digitalgypsy66
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby shmenguin on Wed May 09, 2012 9:29 am

i don't know how any of this applies to this thread. you've taken a perfectly legitimate discussion and turned it into something terrible. congratulations?

coming in and trying to snuff out the torches of the angry mob is a waste of time for a couple of reasons. first of all, if you don't like a thread, the best way to get it to disappear is to leave it alone and not bump it to the top of the screen with useless interjections. secondly, a lot of people here (and not just the crazies) think you have a more than questionable gauge on what's qualifies as an appropriate reaction to these types of situations. that's subjective of course. but it's enough for you to knock off the sanctimonious schtick. it doesn't hold water.

now ignoring things is easier said than done. i'll give you that. i have several people on my foe list that i often click to show their posts. this thread is a good example of that.
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Malkamaniac on Wed May 09, 2012 9:40 am

Shmenguin has to have me on the foe list.
Malkamaniac
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby shmenguin on Wed May 09, 2012 9:47 am

Malkamaniac wrote:Shmenguin has to have me on the foe list.

no way. your insanity comes with self awareness. that's a-ok.
shmenguin
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Pitts on Wed May 09, 2012 10:02 am

Bioshock wrote:Until tonight...

The second round was even more damning than the first round for the Pens. ESPECIALLY the coaching staff.

The Devils were ready. They took away time and space and most of all, adjusted to that PP unit and made it look inept.

A dew weeks ago, we were all upset about losing to the Flyers and looking so bad while doing so. Now, we all have to deal with the reality that the Flyers just aren't that good and the Pens contributed to their success even more than any of us could imagine.

Honestly, this is spot on. All teams in the second round played much more sound defense, and played with heart and determination. The Pens seriously looked like kids on a play ground. Blysma needs to tweak his "system" and bring a defensive presence back to the Pen's game.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Pitts on Wed May 09, 2012 10:05 am

MRandall25 wrote:I care about the team. I don't care for the whining that comes after everything from the fans who think their life is somehow lesser because the Pens lost.

Get over yourself. You have ZERO control over it. Just let it be.

I'm really not sure where this comment comes from on a public forum for hockey talk. Who was whining in this thread?

Again, I say the same thing. Not once in this thread have I seen you "legitimately discuss hockey".
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Malkamaniac on Wed May 09, 2012 10:12 am

shmenguin wrote:
Malkamaniac wrote:Shmenguin has to have me on the foe list.

no way. your insanity comes with self awareness. that's a-ok.

Crap I don't want to be self aware. I want to be an agent of chaos.
Malkamaniac
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby dukeharris on Wed May 09, 2012 10:31 am

Bathgate wrote:I think back to that mid-March game in Newark that I attended in person in which the Pens overwhelmed the Devils, winning easily as they outshot them by 30. It was Crosby's second game of his second comeback this season. Everything was clicking for the Pens; nothing was going right for the Devils as they looked like a bunch of amateurs. After that game, however, things went downhill for the Pens. I think that game may have had something to do with the downfall. They won that game so convincingly with a display of pure talent that they thought they could win on talent alone, and became super frustrated and undisciplined when faced with adversity.

Agree totally. Everyone told them how great they were in that stretch, including us, and they quit doing the things you need to do to win. When this happens, and it happens all the time with teams, someone needs to shake things up. The Coach???
dukeharris

Postby Fire0nice228 on Wed May 09, 2012 10:32 am

LAK got the playoffs on goaltending and defense (couldnt score during regular season), PHX on goaltending and defense (they have NO gamebreaking offensive players), Rangers on team play and shot blocking and Caps under DH on defense and team play, Devils..defense, systems.

I know it has to be tempting for the Pens to look at their lineup and think pond hockey time, but its not working. They need to get back to basics, insulate the goaltender, force shots from terrible angles, etc. This Pens team has enough firepower to score without having to get over HCDB magical 40 shots a game. With Sid, Geno, Neal, Staal, Kunitz, etc I mean really the Pens should be able to feed and score off of turnovers due to better defensive play. Sure, its fun to play and fun to watch when the Pens shoot 40 times a game and rushes up and down the ice all game, but its also fun to get a win at the end of the night, for players and fans.

I think Philly was the worst matchup for the Pens, and that was Phillys Stanley Cup with the Jagr/Talbot thing, but to be honest, the way the Rangers/Caps are shotblocking and crowding the house is eerily reminiscent of MTL, I think the Pens would have a hard time beating either of those teams as well. And lets be real, Smith and Quick would beat MAF right now, the Pens offense would have to figure something out real fast. Just because Philly got handled doesnt mean that we should all be even more upset, but I agree that it should be giving the organization something to think about with regards to the overall system/structure/how this team wants to play type of thing.
Fire0nice228
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby sil on Wed May 09, 2012 10:34 am

Fire0nice228 wrote:LAK got the playoffs on goaltending and defense (couldnt score during regular season), PHX on goaltending and defense (they have NO gamebreaking offensive players), Rangers on team play and shot blocking and Caps under DH on defense and team play, Devils..defense, systems.

I know it has to be tempting for the Pens to look at their lineup and think pond hockey time, but its not working. They need to get back to basics, insulate the goaltender, force shots from terrible angles, etc. This Pens team has enough firepower to score without having to get over HCDB magical 40 shots a game. With Sid, Geno, Neal, Staal, Kunitz, etc I mean really the Pens should be able to feed and score off of turnovers due to better defensive play. Sure, its fun to play and fun to watch when the Pens shoot 40 times a game and rushes up and down the ice all game, but its also fun to get a win at the end of the night, for players and fans.

I think Philly was the worst matchup for the Pens, and that was Phillys Stanley Cup with the Jagr/Talbot thing, but to be honest, the way the Rangers/Caps are shotblocking and crowding the house is eerily reminiscent of MTL, I think the Pens would have a hard time beating either of those teams as well. And lets be real, Smith and Quick would beat MAF right now, the Pens offense would have to figure something out real fast. Just because Philly got handled doesnt mean that we should all be even more upset, but I agree that it should be giving the organization something to think about with regards to the overall system/structure/how this team wants to play type of thing.

Other team's play aside, it goes without saying that the pens need to play better D to succeed in the playoffs.
sil
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby dukeharris on Wed May 09, 2012 10:35 am

Digitalgypsy66 wrote:
columbia wrote:I took a peek at a certain message board and they are not taking it well....it happens.

The comments at Philly.com were bad enough, I can't imagine "over there." :lol:

8 more years of Bryzaster
lol

Or 8 more years of Sievegalov.
dukeharris

Postby Malkamaniac on Wed May 09, 2012 10:36 am

For reference on the Kings.

Even though Carter was hurt. After those trades they went from 2 goals a game to 3 goals a game. Defense helped, but they figured out how to hit the back of the net too. They learned to play hot at the precise right time. It also helps that Quick is on another planet right now.
Malkamaniac
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby sil on Wed May 09, 2012 10:40 am

Malkamaniac wrote:For reference on the Kings.

Even though Carter was hurt. After those trades they went from 2 goals a game to 3 goals a game. Defense helped, but they figured out how to hit the back of the net too. They learned to play hot at the precise right time. It also helps that Quick is on another planet right now.

Carter's salary for what he can bring is a nice deal to have for the Kings going forward...a really good trade for them.
sil
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Fire0nice228 on Wed May 09, 2012 10:41 am

I agree with both of you guys. I guess my point was that the system of we must play in the other teams zone and we must get 40 shots a game is broken. Without looking at any stats and going on gut feeling I would say that none of the teams remaining employ a system like Bylsmas. And I'm not on the fire DB wagon. I'm just saying.

How many times did the Pens get 35+ shots a game and still lose? Cause it feels like it happened alot.
Fire0nice228
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Malkamaniac on Wed May 09, 2012 10:45 am

Fire0nice228 wrote:I agree with both of you guys. I guess my point was that the system of we must play in the other teams zone and we must get 40 shots a game is broken. Without looking at any stats and going on gut feeling I would say that none of the teams remaining employ a system like Bylsmas. And I'm not on the fire DB wagon. I'm just saying.

How many times did the Pens get 35+ shots a game and still lose? Cause it feels like it happened alot.

That high number of shots theory is so stupid to me. They put 40 shots on a team but if more than half of them are perimeter shots they shouldn't even count as legit shots.

I'd say they put at most 15-18 QUALITY scoring chances together throughout the game.
Malkamaniac
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Rocco on Wed May 09, 2012 10:46 am

They got rid of Jack Johnson and everything got better.
Rocco
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Froggy on Wed May 09, 2012 10:47 am

With the parity in the league, at least with playoff teams, every series, Hell... Every GAME, is pretty much a coin flip. We could potentially see a low seeded team knock off the 1&2 in both conferences this year. That's nuts. that kind of takes some of the sting out of a 4 losing to a 5. That series is supposed to be able to go either way.

Look at the caps. They could win two in a row and win the series, but they also could have been swept by Boston.

The pens had a chance to win every game except for maybe game 6 against Philly, and that coupled with the fact that it was Philly leads to a ton of warranted frustration.

HOWEVER...

What the flyers did or didn't do against NJ doesn't say a thing about us.
Froggy
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby pfim on Wed May 09, 2012 10:51 am

If you don't like it, don't respond. Simple as that.
pfim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Malkamaniac on Wed May 09, 2012 10:53 am

Rocco wrote:

They got rid of Jack Johnson and everything got better.

Was basically trying to say that without saying that.
Malkamaniac
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Hawkeynut on Wed May 09, 2012 11:01 am

Suck it up buttercups.

I thoroughly enjoyed another Flyers implosion (1975?).

Pens still have players who are worth the price of admission (win or loose), Pens still have dedicated ownership, Pens still have a home for the next 30 years. So we crap the bed a couple of years, it is not the end of the world.

Looking forward to Sept already.
Hawkeynut
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Pitt87 on Wed May 09, 2012 11:23 am

Bioshock wrote:Until tonight...

The second round was even more damning than the first round for the Pens. ESPECIALLY the coaching staff.

The Devils were ready. They took away time and space and most of all, adjusted to that PP unit and made it look inept.

A dew weeks ago, we were all upset about losing to the Flyers and looking so bad while doing so. Now, we all have to deal with the reality that the Flyers just aren't that good and the Pens contributed to their success even more than any of us could imagine.

The Flyers met their season goal in game 6 of the first round when they eliminated Sid's Penguins decisively. The entire team looked flat since game 2. Jagr looked like he was tapping out in this series vs. when he was fired up to play the Pens. Giroux took his confidence from the Pens series and made the absolute worst of it. The 'young stars' were virtually silent. If anything what we proved last night is that even in a complete loss, we still dominate the Flyers.
Pitt87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Location: Admin wrote:Rooting for the Flyers is not allowed here. Seriously.

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins