UFA Shopping List

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: UFA Shopping List

Postby Streaks House on Tue May 15, 2012 9:45 pm

sj? wrote: Alexei Morozov :P

Maybe he wants to win a Stanley Cup and do right by Mario with the team who drafted him? :pop:

Spoiler:
No clue if he's under contract with Ak Bars Kazan, but if he available, I'd bring him in for $3M in the event Shero were to somehow clear significant cap space
Streaks House
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby k0la on Wed May 16, 2012 5:25 am

Patrick Thoresen

Leading the worlds in points, been top three in khl every seasons he's been there. Plays center mostly but has played left wing a lot too. Philly has held his rights for a long time, but this year he's free to talk to anyone.

He's probably the best norwegian player, and every summer norwegian newspapers has asked him the same question, if he's had any NHL offers, and it's been the same answer every time, that he really wants to play there, and he's willing to take a big paycut to do so, but no one wants to buy him free from Philly. So i*m hoping to see him in the NHL next season, and would be great if Pens took him on
k0la
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby sil on Wed May 16, 2012 10:04 am

k0la wrote:Patrick Thoresen

Leading the worlds in points, been top three in khl every seasons he's been there. Plays center mostly but has played left wing a lot too. Philly has held his rights for a long time, but this year he's free to talk to anyone.

He's probably the best norwegian player, and every summer norwegian newspapers has asked him the same question, if he's had any NHL offers, and it's been the same answer every time, that he really wants to play there, and he's willing to take a big paycut to do so, but no one wants to buy him free from Philly. So i*m hoping to see him in the NHL next season, and would be great if Pens took him on

He's played just over 100 NHL games (for Edmonton and Philly) and hasn't produced much at all...not even as high as Nick Johnson's numbers. Spent a week or so in Wilkes-Barre/Scranton too if I'm not mistaken.
sil
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby DelPen on Fri May 18, 2012 10:57 am

No one. Unless Staal, Martin or Michalek are traded don't even expect to see our own UFA's back. It's a shame, Sullivan is so much better in every asoect of the game and kennedy but we will be stuck with him again next year being overpayed as a one-trick pony on the third line.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby sil on Fri May 18, 2012 11:20 am

DelPen wrote:No one. Unless Staal, Martin or Michalek are traded don't even expect to see our own UFA's back. It's a shame, Sullivan is so much better in every asoect of the game and kennedy but we will be stuck with him again next year being overpayed as a one-trick pony on the third line.

Well, if this sudden beleif that the cap will hit $70,000,000 holds true...
sil
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Rylan on Fri May 18, 2012 11:25 am

I can't say I ever expected the NHL to reach a $70 million cap. Or even talk about it.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby BigMcK on Fri May 18, 2012 3:06 pm

Rylan wrote:I can't say I ever expected the NHL to reach a $70 million cap. Or even talk about it.

Crazy, isn't it? As the CBA looms, the amount of revenue at stake is staggering, as are player salaries.

Before the cap was instituted, the average team payroll was $44,400,490 in 03 - 04. The first year with the cap, 05-06, average team payroll was $34,309,972. A 22% reduction. Then, the magic began and the cap increased to $40,292,446, and the cap has never looked back since. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_te ... in_the_NHL

By ways of comparison, the 1992 - 93 Penguins had the highest team payroll of $15,200.000. http://www.hockeyzoneplus.com/$maseq_e.htm

"Before Bettman was introduced as the comissioner, the highest paid player during the 1990-91 season was Wayne Gretzky, at $3 million a year. Mario Lemieux followed with $2.18 million, along with Steve Yzerman at $1.3 million, Ray Bourque at $1.194 million, and Brett Hull at $1.116 million.

Following the 1992-93 season and the hiring of Bettman as comissioner, NHL salaries skyrocketed, with the top-five salaries stretching over the $2.5 million mark. Eric Lindros was the highest paid player in 1993-94 with a contract worth $3.35 million, followed by Yzerman at $3.2 million, Lemieux and Gretzky at $3 million, and Patrick Roy at just over $2.5 million." http://bleacherreport.com/articles/3455 ... e-got-here

Lenieux was a STEAL at $2.18 million...
BigMcK
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby no name on Fri May 18, 2012 3:24 pm

Penner for Sids line.
no name
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Hugo Stiglitz on Fri May 18, 2012 4:11 pm

I'd go for David Jones. I think he could be had for $3/$3.5M if they sign him for three or four years.

27 year old big gritty forward who put up two 20+ goal seasons the past two years. He could really solidify a Pens top-six. Malkin has shown to thrive with guys like this.

Neal-Malkin-Jones
Kunitz-Sid-Dupuis
Hugo Stiglitz
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby offsides on Fri May 18, 2012 4:33 pm

Rylan wrote:I can't say I ever expected the NHL to reach a $70 million cap. Or even talk about it.

Me either, could make for some high priced UFAs. Think we will spend to the max?
offsides
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Corvidae on Tue May 22, 2012 12:52 pm

I'd take Stoll if one of the other centers is leaving. Though he'll probably be overpaid being on a Stanley Cup team. I use to think Ryan Smyth would work really well with Crosby but I'm thinking he's too slow now (not that he was ever fast to begin with).

All I really want 1-2 tough guys who can play solid 3/4th line minutes. Other than that, let the rookies play.
Corvidae
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Corvidae on Tue May 22, 2012 12:53 pm

sil wrote:
k0la wrote:Patrick Thoresen

He's played just over 100 NHL games (for Edmonton and Philly) and hasn't produced much at all...not even as high as Nick Johnson's numbers. Spent a week or so in Wilkes-Barre/Scranton too if I'm not mistaken.

And if they had him I'd constantly think about that time he got drilled in the knads by a slapshot. No thanks.
Corvidae
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Malkamaniac on Tue May 22, 2012 12:56 pm

no name wrote:Penner for Sids line.

You know, I would have said no to Penner, but he's playing like he actually cares right now.
Malkamaniac
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby sil on Tue May 22, 2012 1:48 pm

When Penner is on, he's an absolute beast of a forward.
sil
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby columbia on Tue May 22, 2012 1:54 pm

9 goals in his last 84 regular season games. :?
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Location: If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu.

Postby meecrofilm on Tue May 22, 2012 2:02 pm

Malkamaniac wrote:
no name wrote:Penner for Sids line.

You know, I would have said no to Penner, but he's playing like he actually cares right now.

Until he wins the cup then doesn't care again for another 5 years.
meecrofilm
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby sil on Tue May 22, 2012 2:22 pm

columbia wrote:9 goals in his last 84 regular season games. :?

The problem is that he isn't "on" very often.
sil
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Pavel Bure on Tue May 22, 2012 2:29 pm

I didn't realize we needed a top 6 winger.
Pavel Bure
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby sil on Tue May 22, 2012 2:46 pm

Pavel Bure wrote:I didn't realize we needed a top 6 winger.

We will...

Spoiler:
sil
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby no name on Tue May 22, 2012 3:33 pm

sil wrote:

6'4 245 pounds, has had a 32, 29, 23 and a 21 goal season under his belt. I would take a chance at the right price. A beast like that with SId = protection and i would imagine a 20 goal season. Unless this guy is to slow to skate with Sid, would be a great net front presence on the powerplay.

I have been watching and routing for LA, he looks like he is playing well right now.
no name
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Malkamaniac on Tue May 22, 2012 3:49 pm

no name wrote:
sil wrote:

6'4 245 pounds, has had a 32, 29, 23 and a 21 goal season under his belt. I would take a chance at the right price. A beast like that with SId = protection and i would imagine a 20 goal season. Unless this guy is to slow to skate with Sid, would be a great net front presence on the powerplay.

I have been watching and routing for LA, he looks like he is playing well right now.

My entire fear is that the bigger guys can't handle skating this system, and as we've seen Bylsma is either unwilling to adapt his system, or give these guys the right opportunities to succeed.
Malkamaniac
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Luckybreak on Tue May 22, 2012 4:01 pm

Malkamaniac wrote:
no name wrote:
sil wrote:

My entire fear is that the bigger guys can't handle skating this system, and as we've seen Bylsma is either unwilling to adapt his system, or give these guys the right opportunities to succeed.

You mean Tangradi? If so, I agree. Also think Penner could really work out at the right price, but being UFA don't expect it to happen.
Overall I would rather spend on improving 3/4th lines/D men.
Luckybreak
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Malkamaniac on Tue May 22, 2012 4:08 pm

Luckybreak wrote:
Malkamaniac wrote:
no name wrote:
sil wrote:

You mean Tangradi? If so, I agree. Also think Penner could really work out at the right price, but being UFA don't expect it to happen.
Overall I would rather spend on improving 3/4th lines/D men.

I would imagine all slower bigger bodied guys would have trouble. Billy G was here when they were still playing in partially MT's system. The next year when they were full DB system, people would comment continually on how slow he looked and how quick he lost his ability to hang with people.

Speed kills with this system, and unless you're high talent like Staal, Malkin, and even Neal I'm worried they're getting left behind in the forward unit.
Malkamaniac
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Luckybreak on Tue May 22, 2012 4:14 pm

Malkamaniac wrote:I would imagine all slower bigger bodied guys would have trouble. Billy G was here when they were still playing in partially MT's system. The next year when they were full DB system, people would comment continually on how slow he looked and how quick he lost his ability to hang with people.

Speed kills with this system, and unless you're high talent like Staal, Malkin, and even Neal I'm worried they're getting left behind in the forward unit.

Yeah, the system doesn't make the most of slower players other abilities. Jagr wouldn't have fit this system. Frustrating that we are not as multi-faceted as we should be.
Luckybreak
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby columbia on Tue May 22, 2012 4:16 pm

It also - apparently - doesn't work in the playoffs.
But hey, they just need to bear down and execute more efficiently and everything will be ok.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Location: If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu.

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins