Crosby's Next Contract

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Crosby's Next Contract

Postby shafnutz05 on Wed May 16, 2012 11:40 am

The "as long as he wants" thing just seems absolutely ridiculous to me, considering his medical history.
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby MRandall25 on Wed May 16, 2012 11:40 am

Froggy wrote:No agent in the world is going to let a 25 year old superstar take a pay cut, regardless of injury history. Best case scenario, he takes the same 8.7mill/year deal

But the player can override the agent.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby ffemtreed on Wed May 16, 2012 11:43 am

MRandall25 wrote:
Froggy wrote:No agent in the world is going to let a 25 year old superstar take a pay cut, regardless of injury history. Best case scenario, he takes the same 8.7mill/year deal

But the player can override the agent.

Crosby has an unwritten duty to all the other players in the union to get around his fair market value.

The NHLPA would be really ticked off if Sid signed a contract for 3 million.
ffemtreed
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby columbia on Wed May 16, 2012 11:44 am

I don't think there is any danger of Crosby signing for $3M.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Cr@zy871 on Wed May 16, 2012 11:55 am

Does anyone think that Crosby owes the team a slight pay cut? He was essentially paid 17.4 million for playing 63 games over the past 2 season... That's a lot of $$$ to shelled out for a little over 2/3 of a season of total games played in that time...

I don't believe this will happen, but Sid seems to be a pretty honorable guy when it comes the money side of the business...
Cr@zy871
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Jasmine on Wed May 16, 2012 12:23 pm

Tough call since Sid is soooo superstitious! That's why he wanted the $8.7 mil before. Not that it was that 'lucky' for him the way things have gone lately.
Jasmine
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby sil on Wed May 16, 2012 12:25 pm

Jasmine wrote:Tough call since Sid is soooo superstitious! That's why he wanted the $8.7 mil before. Not that it was that 'lucky' for him the way things have gone lately.

How about $87,000,000 over 12 years...$7,250,000 annual cap hit. :pop:
sil
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Idoit40fans on Wed May 16, 2012 12:26 pm

Cr@zy871 wrote:Does anyone think that Crosby owes the team a slight pay cut? He was essentially paid 17.4 million for playing 63 games over the past 2 season... That's a lot of $$$ to shelled out for a little over 2/3 of a season of total games played in that time...

I don't believe this will happen, but Sid seems to be a pretty honorable guy when it comes the money side of the business...

...lol?
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Sarcastic on Wed May 16, 2012 12:31 pm

I'm hoping he or Malkin don't ask for league maximum. I don't think any hockey player is worth it or should even ask for that. Way too much money. Given that, we'll sign him for whatever he wants.
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Pitts on Wed May 16, 2012 1:50 pm

Cr@zy871 wrote:Does anyone think that Crosby owes the team a slight pay cut? He was essentially paid 17.4 million for playing 63 games over the past 2 season... That's a lot of $$$ to shelled out for a little over 2/3 of a season of total games played in that time...

For CRYIN OUT LOUD people!!! Crosby is never gonna take a pay cut! Holy geeze! How many players have ever taken a paycut before the age of 35?? Make some sense around here!
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby thehockeyguru on Wed May 16, 2012 2:21 pm

Pitts wrote:

For CRYIN OUT LOUD people!!! Crosby is never gonna take a pay cut! Holy geeze! How many players have ever taken a paycut before the age of 35?? Make some sense around here!

Didn't the Sedins take cuts to play together?
thehockeyguru
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby sil on Wed May 16, 2012 2:22 pm

Pitts wrote:How many players have ever taken a paycut before the age of 35??

Brad Richards' average annual salary in Dallas was $7,800,000. His average annual salary with the Rangers is now $6,666,667.
sil
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby columbia on Wed May 16, 2012 2:22 pm

Hossa took a salary cap paycut, too.
Maybe Kovalchoo also?
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby sil on Wed May 16, 2012 2:27 pm

columbia wrote:Hossa took a salary cap paycut, too.
Maybe Kovalchoo also?

The key in all those cases is term obivously. Crosby and his agent would definitely come down from an average of $8,700,000 if he were guaranteed $75,000,000 over 10 years, or something like that...and if they wanted to sign long term.
sil
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby MarioLives on Wed May 16, 2012 2:27 pm

Pitts wrote:

ooops....sucks to be that adamant and be wrong........
MarioLives
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby sil on Wed May 16, 2012 2:29 pm

MarioLives wrote:
Pitts wrote:

Well, he's right in part. Crosby's not going to take a 3-5 year deal worth $7,000,000 or something like that. It would 100% have to be a very long term deal.
sil
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby no name on Wed May 16, 2012 2:55 pm

I honestly think Sid is going to sign a deal for 8.7 again. He wants to win more than anything so to get talented players around him he knows you need cap room. 8.7 was a steal for him and will be again. With Sid setting the bar other players on this squad understand playing for a little less is how we do thng around here. Look at Neal and Duper the followed suit.
no name
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby llipgh2 on Wed May 16, 2012 3:11 pm

thehockeyguru wrote:
Pitts wrote:

Didn't the Sedins take cuts to play together?

They are creepy and weird. They don't count as status quo.
llipgh2
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby CERV96 on Wed May 16, 2012 3:37 pm

Crosby= cash cow. Give him what he wants plain and simple. Just ask season ticket holders how much easier it is to get rid of tickets at fair market value vs Florida with him in the line up as opposed to not in the lineup. Let's even look at the merchandise point. Crosby was still in the top 3 in jersey sales even when he missed almost an entire year.

Burkle and Lemieux are buisnessmen. Sid will get what he wants.

About discounts. It is going to have to be a reasonable discount for the team and the NHLPA. Rermember Sid is part of a union.
CERV96
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby columbia on Wed May 16, 2012 4:00 pm

CERV96 wrote:Crosby= cash cow. Give him what he wants plain and simple. Just ask season ticket holders how much easier it is to get rid of tickets at fair market value vs Florida with him in the line up as opposed to not in the lineup.

Don't give anyone ammunition for another STH thread. :scared: :slug:
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby It'sagreatdayforhockey! on Wed May 16, 2012 4:02 pm

He signed his last deal for $8.7M when the cap was $56.7M. If this cap goes to $69M, the equivalent $10.6M seems fair.

He could surely get more (and is probably worth more) or surely ask for less.

That $10.6M number, is also right between his current salary and the potential max (20% of $69M).

That being said. He should be a good teammate and go for $7.1M along with Geno. After all, him 3 years Russian super league.
Last edited by It'sagreatdayforhockey! on Wed May 16, 2012 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It'sagreatdayforhockey!
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby DontToewsMeBro on Wed May 16, 2012 4:02 pm

I'm more concerned about the length of the contract than the salary that he signs for.

If he asks for cap max over 3-4 years, fine. 7 million over 10 years? I don't think I would do that.
DontToewsMeBro
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby MRandall25 on Wed May 16, 2012 4:13 pm

DontToewsMeBro wrote:I'm more concerned about the length of the contract than the salary that he signs for.

If he asks for cap max over 3-4 years, fine. 7 million over 10 years? I don't think I would do that.

It's not an over-35 contract. If he gets hurt and decides to retire, the contract is gone.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Pitts on Wed May 16, 2012 4:20 pm

MarioLives wrote:
Pitts wrote:

I'm not wrong...as was said, its a matter of term. Shero is on record stating he would never do a long term front/back loaded contract. To expect the best player in the world to take a pay cut at the age of 25(?) is insane.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Bioshock on Wed May 16, 2012 4:28 pm

Hmm... isn't the CBA cap max 20 percent? If that's correct and the cap goes to 69 million....

That's 13.8 million per season....

Yep, he's gonna do that. I say 13.8 million for 8 years. 110.4 million

"Tell me where i sign" says Ray Shero.
Bioshock
AHL'er
AHL'er

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins