To-do-list for GM Ray Shero

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

To-do-list for GM Ray Shero

Postby penny lane on Wed May 16, 2012 9:27 am

http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/spo ... ng-636091/

And he has spent a lot of time reflecting on the Penguins' cameo appearance in the Stanley Cup playoffs, when awful decision-making and worse execution turned what could have been a championship run into a six-game layover.
"It's basically, 'Take a few weeks to get over the first-round loss,' " Shero said Tuesday. "And that hasn't happened yet."

"We have a good team," Shero said. "We have had a good team. ... That's good, but certainly we need that to translate into playoff success."
Shero said that while the makeup of the coaching staff won't change, adjusting duties and responsibilities hasn't been discussed yet. That could come up next week, in conjunction with the talks to assess player performance and potential.
Shero confirmed he has decided "in my mind" about some free agents-to-be he will not try to re-sign, but declined to identify them.

GM Shero is not over it... but decisions looming.
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Re: To-do-list for GM Ray Shero

Postby Pensrock on Wed May 16, 2012 9:29 am

Also interesting note in there that the Cap is expected to go up 6 or 7 million to 69 million.
Pensrock
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Malkamaniac on Wed May 16, 2012 9:29 am

re-sign Crosby, trade Staal for Yakupov, sign Semin.
Malkamaniac
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby columbia on Wed May 16, 2012 9:37 am

Malkamaniac wrote:re-sign Crosby, trade Staal for Yakupov, sign Semin.

Steigy wrote:Yakupov - Malkin - Semin

The Russian Dressing Line
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby SolidSnake on Wed May 16, 2012 9:38 am

That'd be the softest line in hockey, they would get muscled around by a pee wee team
SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Troy Loney on Wed May 16, 2012 9:48 am

Is Yakupov soft? Unless your just saying any line with Semin on it is the softest, cause Malkin isn't soft.
Troy Loney
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby darkstar57 on Wed May 16, 2012 9:55 am

Shero's Check List

1. Resign Crosby
2. Resign Staal
3. Read Let's Go Pens and do the opposite of what people believe there
4. Finish Breaking Dawn
5. Start 50 Shades of Grey

Did i miss anything?
darkstar57
AHL'er
AHL'er

Location: A flute with no holes, is not a flute. A donut with no hole, is a Danish

Postby sil on Wed May 16, 2012 9:59 am

darkstar57 wrote:Shero's Check List

1. Resign Crosby
2. Resign Staal
3. Read Let's Go Pens and do the opposite of what people believe there
4. Finish Breaking Dawn
5. Start 50 Shades of Grey

Did i miss anything?

#3 nullifies #'s 1, and 2...uh oh!
sil
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Malkamaniac on Wed May 16, 2012 10:01 am

Troy Loney wrote:Is Yakupov soft? Unless your just saying any line with Semin on it is the softest, cause Malkin isn't soft.

Semin isn't really that soft either. Dude can play defense when he wants to.
Malkamaniac
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby thehockeyguru on Wed May 16, 2012 10:07 am

I know its not going to happen, but I'd go this route for the top 3 lines to start the season.

Malkin - Crosby - Neal
Kunitz - Staal - Dupuis
Cooke - Jeffery - Tangradi

Move Kennedy and Martin then use the money to re-up Staal and retool the blueline.
thehockeyguru
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby sil on Wed May 16, 2012 10:24 am

Malkamaniac wrote:
Troy Loney wrote:Is Yakupov soft? Unless your just saying any line with Semin on it is the softest, cause Malkin isn't soft.

So, if Yakupov plays defense when he wants to...we'd have a whole line made up of great talents who only play defense when they feel like it. Dandy.
sil
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby sil on Wed May 16, 2012 10:25 am

thehockeyguru wrote:I know its not going to happen, but I'd go this route for the top 3 lines to start the season.

Malkin - Crosby - Neal
Kunitz - Staal - Dupuis

Move Kennedy and Martin then use the money to re-up Staal and retool the blueline.

I respect your opinion, but that third line is barely a fourth line. You could even just sign Jay McClement to a 2 year deal worth $1,500,000 per and he'd be a significant upgrade over Jeffrey.
sil
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby penny lane on Wed May 16, 2012 10:28 am

I'd love to be a fly on the wall during the "adjusting(coaching) duties and responsibilities" and the "assess player performance and potential" meetings. 8-)
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Malkamaniac on Wed May 16, 2012 10:29 am

sil wrote:
Malkamaniac wrote:

So, if Yakupov plays defense when he wants to...we'd have a whole line made up of great talents who only play defense when they feel like it. Dandy.

Sarcasm, it does a body good.
Malkamaniac
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby KG on Wed May 16, 2012 10:35 am

Shero and his team have their work cut out for them the next couple of seasons. Check it out...

http://capgeek.com/charts.php?Team=26&s ... C300%2C000

When you look at that chart it really does drive home the point that this team will be together for much longer. The fact that they have blown their opportunities to win more the past 3 years is a tough pill to swallow...
KG
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby thehockeyguru on Wed May 16, 2012 10:36 am

sil wrote:
thehockeyguru wrote:I know its not going to happen, but I'd go this route for the top 3 lines to start the season.

Malkin - Crosby - Neal
Kunitz - Staal - Dupuis

I respect your opinion, but that third line is barely a fourth line. You could even just sign Jay McClement to a 2 year deal worth $1,500,000 per and he'd be a significant upgrade over Jeffrey.

Jeffery and Tangradi haven't been given a legit shot. I'd like to see what they can do before they are discarded.
thehockeyguru
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Pavel Bure on Wed May 16, 2012 11:33 am

Jordin Tootoo. Do it.
Pavel Bure
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby NashvilleCat on Wed May 16, 2012 11:54 am

Pavel Bure wrote:Jordin Tootoo. Do it.

Tootoo is an undisciplined penalty magnet. He's not that skilled and he's much more trouble than he's worth. If someone else signs him at least I won't have to hear the stupid wooden train whistles at Predators games.
NashvilleCat
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Jasmine on Wed May 16, 2012 12:16 pm

penny lane wrote:http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/sports/penguins/to-do-list-for-penguins-shero-long-all-decisions-pending-636091/

And he has spent a lot of time reflecting on the Penguins' cameo appearance in the Stanley Cup playoffs, when awful decision-making and worse execution turned what could have been a championship run into a six-game layover.
"It's basically, 'Take a few weeks to get over the first-round loss,' " Shero said Tuesday. "And that hasn't happened yet."

"We have a good team," Shero said. "We have had a good team. ... That's good, but certainly we need that to translate into playoff success."
Shero said that while the makeup of the coaching staff won't change, adjusting duties and responsibilities hasn't been discussed yet. That could come up next week, in conjunction with the talks to assess player performance and potential.
Shero confirmed he has decided "in my mind" about some free agents-to-be he will not try to re-sign, but declined to identify them.

GM Shero is not over it... but decisions looming.

I'm glad Ray Shero is not over it. I'm not either. :(
Jasmine
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Jasmine on Wed May 16, 2012 12:18 pm

Malkamaniac wrote:re-sign Crosby, trade Staal for Yakupov, sign Semin.

:shock: You're joking, right? Semin is one of the biggest jaggoffs in the league. His own coach couldn't stand him!
Jasmine
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Jasmine on Wed May 16, 2012 12:21 pm

thehockeyguru wrote:
sil wrote:

Malkin - Crosby - Neal
Kunitz - Staal - Dupuis

Jeffery and Tangradi haven't been given a legit shot. I'd like to see what they can do before they are discarded.

Agree Jeffrey and Tango not given a shot, but then they may be hockey players who Dan Bylsma doesn't think fit into his flying circus offense. Anyway, what's wrong with bringing up some other youngsters, too, like Philly and other teams have. You have to develop these guys sometime, and the cap hit would be less than paying a bunch of 30-somethings (no offense, but...).
Jasmine
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby sil on Wed May 16, 2012 12:22 pm

NashvilleCat wrote:
Pavel Bure wrote:Jordin Tootoo. Do it.

Tootoo is an undisciplined penalty magnet. He's not that skilled and he's much more trouble than he's worth. If someone else signs him at least I won't have to hear the stupid wooden train whistles at Predators games.

I'm in agreement...but you know how LGP folk love the idea of a little hitting machine.
sil
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby sil on Wed May 16, 2012 12:23 pm

Malkamaniac wrote:
sil wrote:
Malkamaniac wrote:

Sarcasm, it does a body good.

I'm aware from other topics that you and I share the same mindset regarding this...your post simply provided me the best oppertunity to share my Malkin frustrations...yet again. :slug:
sil
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Sarcastic on Wed May 16, 2012 12:38 pm

penny lane wrote:http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/sports/penguins/to-do-list-for-penguins-shero-long-all-decisions-pending-636091/

Haha. Yeah. See, he's still not over it himself. But that's good. It means he cares and that the wheel in his brain is turning.
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Pensrock on Wed May 16, 2012 12:39 pm

Malkin - Crosby - Neal
Kunitz - Staal - Dupuis

Well I am not totally comfortable with your 3rd line, but in this cap era, the young guys have to step up and play prominent roles.

I agree with your top 6 but I would flip flop Malkin and Kunitz. I would have Kunitz/Crosby/Neal and then have Malkin/Staal/Dupuious.
Pensrock
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Next

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins