It's amazing what can happen when.....

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

It's amazing what can happen when.....

Postby Shinoix on Sat Feb 11, 2006 10:55 pm

Our veterans actually play above avg like they're supposed to and contribute as well.

It's been few and far between that we've seen games where Gonchar, Recchi, and LeClair all played well. I wish this happened all season.

It's also amazing what can happen when the role playing guys actually are effective doing their jobs. The last two games Koltsov has been great, he's forechecked hard, killed penalties and blocked shots. That's all I ask him to do....just be effective and do something!

Malone has also decided to play hockey lately, which is nice to see.

It's also amazing what can happen when you dress the right players.
For example, I'll just throw this one out there.....Christensen over Endicott?? No Cross, no Odelein, Jackman dressing regularly.

It's also amazing what can happen when Crosby has someone to work with ie. Mark Recchi!

When the vets actually play the way they can, it takes a load of pressure off Crosby. He's not out there trying to do it all himself.

This team isn't as bad as their record shows...WHEN they want to play. The problem is, most teams might have one or two guys off their game each night...at the most. The Pens however seem to always have 6-8 guys a night off their game. This in turn creates the inconsistent play, which leads to the dismal record.

Hopefully the majority of our players will continue show up on the same night like we have for the past two.
Shinoix

Postby NJ5934 on Sat Feb 11, 2006 11:41 pm

Agreed. I thought just having Endicott out of the lineup has been a huge boost. I would love to see Crosby moved back over to the wing with Christensen centering the top line.

Armstrong - Christensen - Crosby

Christensen is defensively responcible but I think has far more offensive potential to be wasted on the third line.

Roy showed tonight why he should be playing every night. Same goes for Cairns, huge upgrade over Cross. It could have been a different game if we didn't stick up for each other early in the first.
NJ5934
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Bowser on Sat Feb 11, 2006 11:49 pm

This is the type of game, I expected to see by the Penguins for most of the season. It is games like this that Patrick will say, "that's what I wanted".

Gonchar is getting better but I love that Recchi and LeClair are playing harder since Patrick come out and said, he'll make deals if the veterans want to leave.
Bowser
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby netwolf on Sat Feb 11, 2006 11:51 pm

Bowser wrote:I love that Recchi and LeClair are playing harder since Patrick come out and said, he'll make deals if the veterans want to leave.

Whatever works, right? :wink:
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby jmh70 on Sat Feb 11, 2006 11:51 pm

I like seeing Rita and Koltsov together. One of them will always get to the puck first and maybe together they can actually score a few.
jmh70

Postby NJ5934 on Sat Feb 11, 2006 11:52 pm

One other thing.....

It really says something that we really miss Talbot being in the lineup. He is a huge spark on the 4th line. I noticed it tonight in that Washington seemed to finish the majority of the checks out there. Talbot brings a real spark to this team in the physical department and it's really obvious when he's not in the lineup.

On nights like tonight, I could definitely see a guy like Sean Avery being a boost to the team.
NJ5934
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby netwolf on Sun Feb 12, 2006 12:00 am

Sean Avery would end up being a distraction or sideshow at some point. Think of the downside of Matt Barnaby and multiply it by 10. He's a classless jerk and is not the type of guy I'd want in my locker room.
netwolf
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Bowser on Sun Feb 12, 2006 12:04 am

I'd just like to say, Malone has been skating better the last few games and I hope he keeps it up.
Bowser
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby MrKnowNothing on Sun Feb 12, 2006 12:56 am

netwolf wrote:Sean Avery would end up being a distraction or sideshow at some point. Think of the downside of Matt Barnaby and multiply it by 10. He's a classless jerk and is not the type of guy I'd want in my locker room.

Yep, I agree. Avery is actually a decent hockey player, but his downsides are way too large to take the risk.
MrKnowNothing

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins