Best player in the world....

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Best player in the world....

Postby owtahear on Sun May 20, 2012 11:24 pm

is not Claude Giroux. It is also not Sidney Crosby. It is Geno Malkin. He was Lemieux like in the World Championships. Hopefully, he takes that into next year and learns to just dominate and stop worrying about who else is on the ice.
owtahear
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Re: Best player in the world....

Postby ivand87 on Sun May 20, 2012 11:57 pm

He should remain our #1 center until Crosby shows he's 100% over this concussion crap. And that also gives Malkin dibs on our only true sniper at wing, James Neal.
ivand87
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Nizzy on Mon May 21, 2012 5:15 am

Agreed. Until Malkin doesn't win the Art Ross, and until Neal stops getting 40 goals/season, you don't touch that.

They should have just left Crosby with Cooke and terrible Kennedy. He never looked better than when he was playing with Sid, and I dispise TK.
Nizzy
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Kovy27 on Mon May 21, 2012 6:47 am

Absolutely. Good to see Malkin saved his best for the World Championships. Go Russia.
Kovy27
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby penny lane on Mon May 21, 2012 8:02 am

Again congratulations to Evgeni for becoming only the 2nd player to match Gretzky's record of scoring champ in the NHL and in the WC tournament. 30 years!

Gene took Pittsburgh with him! ;)
Spoiler:
Last edited by penny lane on Mon May 21, 2012 5:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby no name on Mon May 21, 2012 8:21 am

I seen on the news this morning that Ovi was quoted as saying, "Evgeni he clearly proven himself as the best player in the world..." Something to that effect.

Congrates Geno!!!! And congrates to team russia.

Wish more fo those games were on TV.
no name
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Idoit40fans on Mon May 21, 2012 8:45 am

ivand87 wrote:He should remain our #1 center until Crosby shows he's 100% over this concussion crap. And that also gives Malkin dibs on our only true sniper at wing, James Neal.

Is ths retroactive to March?
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby ville5 on Mon May 21, 2012 9:32 am

owtahear wrote:learns to just dominate and stop worrying about who else is on the ice.

Ive said this in the past, but i still dont understand it. When Crosby is on the ice Malkin is not the same player. When Crosby is out, Malkin is possessed out there. Complete transformation, he's almost Lemieux like w/o Sid. I dont know if he feels it's Sid's "team" or what, but he's definitely on another level w/o him. :?:
ville5
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby penny lane on Mon May 21, 2012 10:12 am

ville5 wrote:
owtahear wrote:learns to just dominate and stop worrying about who else is on the ice.

Ive said this in the past, but i still dont understand it. When Crosby is on the ice Malkin is not the same player. When Crosby is out, Malkin is possessed out there. Complete transformation, he's almost Lemieux like w/o Sid. I dont know if he feels it's Sid's "team" or what, but he's definitely on another level w/o him. :?:

I think it is Evgeni not wanting to step on Sid's toes as captain. Evgeni is smart; he knows how russian hockey players are portrayed, to some in north america, as selfish, play only for themselves. But, I agree, Evgeni has to take on the penguins as his team.
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Jasmine on Mon May 21, 2012 10:44 am

penny lane wrote:
ville5 wrote:

I think it is Evgeni not wanting to step on Sid's toes as captain. Evgeni is smart; he knows how russian hockey players are portrayed, to some in north america, as selfish, play only for themselves. But, I agree, Evgeni has to take on the penguins as his team.

You are so right with your assessment. However, Geno still remains an enigma to me . . . in WC he looks like the best player in the world, yet in SC playoffs 19 yo rookie Sean Couturier shuts him down. What am I missing here to be able to understand????
Jasmine
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Eismann on Mon May 21, 2012 11:00 am

While hitting has picked up in the I, NHL and IIHF are practically two different sports. Happy for Geno, looked great.
Eismann
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby owtahear on Mon May 21, 2012 11:02 am

Jasmine wrote:
penny lane wrote:
ville5 wrote:

You are so right with your assessment. However, Geno still remains an enigma to me . . . in WC he looks like the best player in the world, yet in SC playoffs 19 yo rookie Sean Couturier shuts him down. What am I missing here to be able to understand????

I think some of you touched on the points on how inconsistent he is. First off, Geno played with fairly non descript players, while the Russians also had a Datsyuk, Ovi and Semin line (awesome). I think this is why the PP is always unproductive and why Geno is inconsistent. I WANT HIM TO BE SELFISH! For those of us old enough to remember, during the WC, Geno was Mario vintage 1987 and 1988. He doesn't need Neal. I would put Neal out with Sid. And let Geno go on his own....and dominate.

Also.....one negative part of this, the Russians still have great pride in Mother Russia hockey. While the US and Canadians would love to win gold at international tourneys, the Stanley Cup dominates their effort and pales all other tourneys. I am not so sure that is the truth with some international players, especially the Russians.
owtahear
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Streaks House on Mon May 21, 2012 11:22 am

For those who followed the WCs, who were Geno's linemates?
Streaks House
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby CERV96 on Mon May 21, 2012 12:10 pm

Best player in the world = overly used term.

The only reason Lavy the hut brought this up was to take a shot at Crosby and/or Malkin. Has nothing to do with Giroux.
CERV96
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Jasmine on Mon May 21, 2012 12:13 pm

Defence21 wrote:
Basing this guess on your post-trend, it has to be Bylsma's fault, right?

Thanks for seriously reading all the board posts . . . makes for a wiser opinion for sure. Yes, I do blame HCDB's system. Sorry to repeat myself, but I believe he took Michel Therrien's defensively skilled team and turned the somewhat frustrated 'superstars' loose. At the time, it was the perfect storm. Since '09, this team has become increasingly easy to play against (which NEVER wins Cups) and any shutdown defense has disappeared (also needed to win Cups). Who do you blame? (Yes, there MUST be blame for this talented team to go out early 3 consecutive years.)
Jasmine
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby meecrofilm on Mon May 21, 2012 12:37 pm

Streaks House wrote:For those who followed the WCs, who were Geno's linemates?

Alexander Popov and Alexander Perezhogin.
meecrofilm
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby owtahear on Mon May 21, 2012 12:40 pm

I think they were Alexander Perezhogin, Alexei Tereshenko. Definitely Perezhogin.
owtahear
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby owtahear on Mon May 21, 2012 12:40 pm

meecrofilm wrote:

There ya go.
owtahear
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Defence21 on Mon May 21, 2012 12:52 pm

Jasmine wrote:Defence21 wrote:

Thanks for seriously reading all the board posts . . . makes for a wiser opinion for sure. Yes, I do blame HCDB's system. Sorry to repeat myself, but I believe he took Michel Therrien's defensively skilled team and turned the somewhat frustrated 'superstars' loose. At the time, it was the perfect storm. Since '09, this team has become increasingly easy to play against (which NEVER wins Cups) and any shutdown defense has disappeared (also needed to win Cups). Who do you blame? (Yes, there MUST be blame for this talented team to go out early 3 consecutive years.)

Not saying Bylsma and his system aren't to blame...in part. But I can say that last season's early exit had nothing to do with Bylsma, and everything to do with major injury issues. In fact, it can be argued -- and quite convincingly -- that Bylsma was the biggest reason the team even made the playoffs last season. So, while there is blame to be placed on Bylsma, the blame should be shared by many. Malkin's lack of success in the playoffs likely had something to do with Bylsma's system. It also likely had something to do with Malkin himself underperforming, linemates/teammates not playing to the fullest of their abilities, Couterier as a singular opponent knowing how to defend against Malkin, and the Flyers overachieving as a team.
Defence21
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby MRandall25 on Mon May 21, 2012 1:10 pm

I don't think Bylsma's system is what makes Malkin "suck" when Crosby is healthy and great when he's hurt. Therrien was the coach when Malkin scored 106 points when Crosby was out for 30 games (44 points for that stretch), but Malkin won the Art Ross with a healthy Crosby the next year.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Jasmine on Mon May 21, 2012 1:14 pm

Defence21 wrote:

Not saying Bylsma and his system aren't to blame...in part. But I can say that last season's early exit had nothing to do with Bylsma, and everything to do with major injury issues. In fact, it can be argued -- and quite convincingly -- that Bylsma was the biggest reason the team even made the playoffs last season. So, while there is blame to be placed on Bylsma, the blame should be shared by many. Malkin's lack of success in the playoffs likely had something to do with Bylsma's system. It also likely had something to do with Malkin himself underperforming, linemates/teammates not playing to the fullest of their abilities, Couterier as a singular opponent knowing how to defend against Malkin, and the Flyers overachieving as a team.

You make good points . . . and round and round we go. :? I'm sure all these same things are rattling around in Ray Shero's brain right now. WHAT IS THE ANSWER????? Good luck, Ray . . . we're counting on you.
Jasmine
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby penny lane on Mon May 21, 2012 1:25 pm

owtahear wrote:
meecrofilm wrote:

There ya go.

Perezhogin played briefly with the canadiens, I had to look him up. :)
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Defence21 on Mon May 21, 2012 1:34 pm

Jasmine wrote:
Defence21 wrote:

You make good points . . . and round and round we go. :? I'm sure all these same things are rattling around in Ray Shero's brain right now. WHAT IS THE ANSWER????? Good luck, Ray . . . we're counting on you.

I wish the answer was as simple as the coach not fitting. But it's much more. As you said, the team is much softer than in the past. It's lacking in the battle-tested, grizzled veteran department. Size and physicality are needed. On defense, systematic tweaks are a must. Bylsma's system clearly isn't working as well as theorized -- then again, last year, he proved he can implement a strong defensive system. The question is, where is the balance of free-wheeling offense and sound defense? Like you said, all of this surely is eating at Shero and Bylsma. Fortunately they have a full summer to make adjustments in many areas.
Defence21
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Streaks House on Mon May 21, 2012 1:49 pm

#PerezhoginWatch

#PopovWatch
Streaks House
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby viva la ben on Mon May 21, 2012 2:07 pm

owtahear wrote:

I think they were Alexander Perezhogin, Alexei Tereshenko. Definitely Perezhogin.

SIGN THEM SHERO!
viva la ben
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Next

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins