Best player in the world....

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Best player in the world....

Postby Pitt87 on Mon May 21, 2012 6:58 pm

owtahear wrote:is not Claude Giroux. It is also not Sidney Crosby. It is Geno Malkin. He was Lemieux like in the World Championships. Hopefully, he takes that into next year and learns to just dominate and stop worrying about who else is on the ice.

Did I miss someone say that Claude Giroux is the best player in the world?

Malkin is at the top of his game right now. Its not just the number of goals either... its the type.
Pitt87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Location: Admin wrote:Rooting for the Flyers is not allowed here. Seriously.

Postby mikey287 on Mon May 21, 2012 7:39 pm

Laviolette, some Flyers fans, to answer above.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby DontToewsMeBro on Tue May 22, 2012 10:01 am

The "shutdown by a rookie" one-liner is such a misnomer. What did you want out of him, >2 ppg? They were terrible as a team. The end. Before anybody asks me if I "watched" the series (the classic HF comeback), yes, I did. He was the only player to give a damn in Game 6.
DontToewsMeBro
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Letang Is The Truth on Tue May 22, 2012 10:13 am

Clode giroux
Letang Is The Truth
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby André on Tue May 22, 2012 12:27 pm

ville5 wrote:
owtahear wrote:learns to just dominate and stop worrying about who else is on the ice.

Ive said this in the past, but i still dont understand it. When Crosby is on the ice Malkin is not the same player. When Crosby is out, Malkin is possessed out there. Complete transformation, he's almost Lemieux like w/o Sid. I dont know if he feels it's Sid's "team" or what, but he's definitely on another level w/o him. :?:

He has three brilliant seasons and Sid's been on the ice for about two thirds of those games. Also, I still think Geno's greatest achievement so far is the 09 playoffs, which also was with Sid playing.

He's been great with Sid out, but Sid having to be out for us to see Geno's best just isn't true.
André
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby André on Tue May 22, 2012 12:31 pm

Also. Sid's PPG over the last two seasons can't be overlooked. Those are sickening numbers, and he's piled them up relatively anonymously. I'm fine with Geno as number one right now but over the past two years I say Sid. Over the past six years I give Sid the title three of those, Geno two and Ovy one. Giroux might claim one soon as well.
André
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby tfrizz on Tue May 22, 2012 1:28 pm

André wrote:Also. Sid's PPG over the last two seasons can't be overlooked. Those are sickening numbers, and he's piled them up relatively anonymously. I'm fine with Geno as number one right now but over the past two years I say Sid. Over the past six years I give Sid the title three of those, Geno two and Ovy one. Giroux might claim one soon as well.

There's a reason Crosby's 4th all-time in career NHL points-per-game and 4th all-time in career NHL playoff points-per-game. Malkin is an world class player player, but a healthy Crosby is the best.
tfrizz
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby farnham16 on Tue May 22, 2012 4:34 pm

Congrats to Geno on an unreal year. Best player in the NHL all year and went over to play in the Worlds after a long season and dominated that. He acted like he didn't even want to go over and play as well. What a player.
farnham16
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Gaucho on Tue May 22, 2012 6:04 pm

tfrizz wrote:
André wrote:Also. Sid's PPG over the last two seasons can't be overlooked. Those are sickening numbers, and he's piled them up relatively anonymously. I'm fine with Geno as number one right now but over the past two years I say Sid. Over the past six years I give Sid the title three of those, Geno two and Ovy one. Giroux might claim one soon as well.

There's a reason Crosby's 4th all-time in career NHL points-per-game and 4th all-time in career NHL playoff points-per-game. Malkin is an world class player player, but a healthy Crosby is the best.

Woah, didn't think Geno ranks that high as well, 11th and 8th respectively.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby meecrofilm on Tue May 22, 2012 6:06 pm

One thing to keep in mind is that both of them are in their respective primes, more or less. They haven't had those later years where the production slows down and averages everything out.
meecrofilm
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby penny lane on Tue May 22, 2012 6:21 pm

Gaucho wrote:
tfrizz wrote:

Points finger at self~ don't ever take Gene and Sid for granted. Talents and skills already have placed them beyond some fine and hof-er players.
For all of his recent worts, look at Alex Ovechkin tied with Jaromir! :D so dominating coming into the nhl.
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby tfrizz on Tue May 22, 2012 7:12 pm

penny lane wrote:
Gaucho wrote:
tfrizz wrote:

Points finger at self~ don't ever take Gene and Sid for granted. Talents and skills already have placed them beyond some fine and hof-er players.
For all of his recent worts, look at Alex Ovechkin tied with Jaromir! :D so dominating coming into the nhl.

It really highlights how special those guys are. When you see them right there behind Gretzky and Lemieux, and ahead of prolific scorers from the 70s-80s when points were plentiful... wow.
tfrizz
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby steelhammer on Tue May 22, 2012 9:06 pm

tfrizz wrote:

He really should be listed as 3rd all-time in career NHL playoff points-per-game. The guy at #3 on that list played a total of 34 playoff games from 1981-1986. Crosby already has double that number of playoff games.
steelhammer
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby mikey287 on Tue May 22, 2012 9:15 pm

Yeah Barry Pederson is best known for being traded for Cam Neely and a 1st, not for his playoff exploits - though I think it was him Nifty Rick Middleton and Mike Krushelynski that were a one line team in 1983, not bad, but not as good as their top pairing that year ;)
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Previous

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins