Penguins acquire rights to Vokoun.

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Penguins acquire rights to Vokoun.

Postby Pens15 on Tue Jun 05, 2012 12:37 pm

Hawkeynut wrote:I find it funny how quickly folks throw Fleury under the bus for the team's early exit.

Kid isn't built for 70+ regular season games, just not in his DNA. T-VO brings nothing more than 15-20 games of rest for the Flower so he can at least take a breather down the stretch.

All the good teams in the NHL have 2 capable goaltenders who can start a slew of games if need be. That's all this signing was.


I agree with your post, even though I'm not at all sold that fatigue was to blame for Fleury's poor showing in the playoffs.
Pens15
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 2,103
Joined: Tue Sep 11, 2007 8:49 pm

Re: Penguins acquire rights to Vokoun.

Postby steelhammer on Tue Jun 05, 2012 12:39 pm

I just hope the goalie that plays the best is our starter for next season. If Vokoun outplays Fleury, then Fleury can get plenty of rest on the bench this season.
steelhammer
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 3,279
Joined: Sun Nov 19, 2006 12:31 am
Location: Hold on, I have a stat for that.

Re: Penguins acquire rights to Vokoun.

Postby penny lane on Tue Jun 05, 2012 12:59 pm

Pittsburgh Penguins ‏@pghpenguins
Tomas Vokoun will wear #92. He is the second player in team history to wear that number (Rick Tocchet
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 28,491
Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2006 6:29 pm
Location: Summer sunshine heals!

Re: Penguins acquire rights to Vokoun.

Postby llipgh2 on Tue Jun 05, 2012 1:03 pm

MAF plays best when he feels challenged. He'll be fine.
llipgh2
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 10,478
Joined: Mon Jan 12, 2009 3:29 pm
Location: Gasp! The Clamboni!

Re: Penguins acquire rights to Vokoun.

Postby Sarcastic on Tue Jun 05, 2012 1:06 pm

Well, I quickly ran though this whole crazy thread. I'm not going to stick around, just say that I'm happy Penguins have two good goalies again. This is an A+ move by Shero.
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 15,283
Joined: Fri Oct 05, 2007 3:49 pm

Re: Penguins acquire rights to Vokoun.

Postby AlexPKeaton on Tue Jun 05, 2012 1:12 pm

steelhammer wrote:I just hope the goalie that plays the best is our starter for next season. If Vokoun outplays Fleury, then Fleury can get plenty of rest on the bench this season.


Me too. But I don't think DB has the gonads to open up a real goalie competition.
AlexPKeaton
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 12,702
Joined: Thu Jul 26, 2007 9:46 am
Location: Malkinite Compound

Re: Penguins acquire rights to Vokoun.

Postby Froggy on Tue Jun 05, 2012 1:15 pm

i kind of want a #92 vokoun jersey, but only 2 years... might be a foolish purchase. i mean, i DO have a navy paul martin jersey, so clearly my judgement is suspect
Froggy
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 17,573
Joined: Sat Aug 12, 2006 2:40 pm
Location: http://DrunkInAGraveyard.com

Re: Penguins acquire rights to Vokoun.

Postby AlexPKeaton on Tue Jun 05, 2012 1:15 pm

Froggy wrote:i kind of want a #92 vokoun jersey, but only 2 years... might be a foolish purchase. i mean, i DO have a navy paul martin jersey, so clearly my judgement is suspect


Just buy it. There is no stopping the true Jersey addicts lol.
AlexPKeaton
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 12,702
Joined: Thu Jul 26, 2007 9:46 am
Location: Malkinite Compound

Re: Penguins acquire rights to Vokoun.

Postby mikey287 on Tue Jun 05, 2012 2:18 pm

92 huh...? Can't say I agree with that...trade him back to Washington...

Seriously though, that's a weird number for a 'tender...
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 17,098
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 6:40 pm
Location: Philadelphia, PA - @MichaelFarkasHF

Re: Penguins acquire rights to Vokoun.

Postby sil on Tue Jun 05, 2012 2:39 pm

mikey287 wrote:92 huh...? Can't say I agree with that...trade him back to Washington...

Seriously though, that's a weird number for a 'tender...


What are we gonna do when we trade Tangradi for Landeskog!? :slug:
sil
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 5,852
Joined: Thu Dec 30, 2010 1:05 pm
Location: the Juice Case manufacturing plant

Re: Penguins acquire rights to Vokoun.

Postby mikey287 on Tue Jun 05, 2012 2:51 pm

Change Landeskog's number to 29 and trade Fleury.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 17,098
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 6:40 pm
Location: Philadelphia, PA - @MichaelFarkasHF

Re: Penguins acquire rights to Vokoun.

Postby helmespc on Tue Jun 05, 2012 3:10 pm

Fleury for Landeskog? Wake up RS!
helmespc
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 1,438
Joined: Wed Nov 01, 2006 12:48 am
Location: Cincinnati, OH

Re: Penguins acquire rights to Vokoun.

Postby brwi on Tue Jun 05, 2012 3:45 pm

Steve wrote:Very solid signing - the Pens just got better. I really like this deal. When MAF was failing in round one, the Pens had no options - now they do.

I guess it's time to say goodbye to Brent Johnson too. He had a rough year last year with the injuries etc, but I'm glad he played for the Pens - he was a good backup for us and a very likeable player I think.


Yes, and the Pens' team toughness also just went down without BJ :D

BJ was a good choice at the time and did well up until last year's injuries and rust got to him. No complaints with his time as a Pen. Vokoun is a helluva upgrade over BJ though at this point, even if he costs more.
brwi
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 11,129
Joined: Sun Feb 12, 2006 1:36 am

Re: Penguins acquire rights to Vokoun.

Postby Hugo Stiglitz on Tue Jun 05, 2012 3:51 pm

I guess at the very least this could be the year that either shuts up the Fleury-haters or proves them right.

From everything I read, the current intention is to have Vokoun play around 30 games. This will no matter what test the character of Fleury. It will either show that he's driven to perform better or deter him.
Hugo Stiglitz
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 4,648
Joined: Fri Oct 01, 2010 12:36 am

Re: Penguins acquire rights to Vokoun.

Postby DontToewsMeBro on Tue Jun 05, 2012 4:12 pm

If Vokoun plays around 30 games you might as well consider him your 1B goaltender. To me, it feels like everyone was questioning Fleury and somebody shouted "Maybe he's fatigued?!" and like a flock of seagulls everyone else shouted "yeah that's it!". I don't think there is a simple explanation for Fleury's abysmal play in the first round, though having to mop up for BJ during the season certainly didn't help. I blame his inconsistency on being thrown into the league much too soon, as he obviously hasn't developed the mental aspect that comes with being a goalie as much as he has the physical aspect. I'm not a "hater" but for his sake I hope he puts it together this season. Despite the talk of his 5th or 6th place Vezina finish Fleury hasn't put up the numbers to suggest he couldn't be replaced for cheaper. Sad but true. I'm definitely cheering for him this year though.
DontToewsMeBro
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 3,199
Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2008 6:31 pm

Re: Penguins acquire rights to Vokoun.

Postby sil on Tue Jun 05, 2012 4:14 pm

mikey287 wrote:Change Landeskog's number to 29 and trade Fleury.


:lol:
sil
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 5,852
Joined: Thu Dec 30, 2010 1:05 pm
Location: the Juice Case manufacturing plant

Re: Penguins acquire rights to Vokoun.

Postby Hugo Stiglitz on Tue Jun 05, 2012 4:18 pm

DontToewsMeBro wrote:If Vokoun plays around 30 games you might as well consider him your 1B goaltender. To me, it feels like everyone was questioning Fleury and somebody shouted "Maybe he's fatigued?!" and like a flock of seagulls everyone else shouted "yeah that's it!". I don't think there is a simple explanation for Fleury's abysmal play in the first round, though having to mop up for BJ during the season certainly didn't help. I blame his inconsistency on being thrown into the league much too soon, as he obviously hasn't developed the mental aspect that comes with being a goalie as much as he has the physical aspect. I'm not a "hater" but for his sake I hope he puts it together this season. Despite the talk of his 5th or 6th place Vezina finish Fleury hasn't put up the numbers to suggest he couldn't be replaced for cheaper. Sad but true. I'm definitely cheering for him this year though.


I read a few articles where Vokoun's camp fully expects to play 30 games. The point made frequently is that you don't spend $2M a year for a guy to play 15 to 17 games. I have to agree with that line of logic.
Hugo Stiglitz
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 4,648
Joined: Fri Oct 01, 2010 12:36 am

Re: Penguins acquire rights to Vokoun.

Postby Sarcastic on Tue Jun 05, 2012 4:21 pm

I would like V to get a significant number of games. 30 is not unreasonable.
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 15,283
Joined: Fri Oct 05, 2007 3:49 pm

Re: Penguins acquire rights to Vokoun.

Postby Hugo Stiglitz on Tue Jun 05, 2012 4:22 pm

Sarcastic wrote:I would like V to get a significant number of games. 30 is not unreasonable.


I don't either. I'm a fan of having a goalie tandem. Look how it worked for Boston the year they won.
Hugo Stiglitz
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 4,648
Joined: Fri Oct 01, 2010 12:36 am

Re: Penguins acquire rights to Vokoun.

Postby columbia on Tue Jun 05, 2012 4:23 pm

30 games? Woah..that changes the dynamic of this signing quite a bit.
Not in a bad way, just different from what I would have expected.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 45,831
Joined: Wed Feb 20, 2008 12:13 am

Re: Penguins acquire rights to Vokoun.

Postby llipgh2 on Tue Jun 05, 2012 4:35 pm

Good read.

Don't know how the "snapping at teammates" is going to fly though.

http://thehockeywriters.com/tomas-vokoun-trade-sign-pittsburgh-penguins/
llipgh2
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 10,478
Joined: Mon Jan 12, 2009 3:29 pm
Location: Gasp! The Clamboni!

Re: Penguins acquire rights to Vokoun.

Postby lemieuxReturns on Tue Jun 05, 2012 4:45 pm

I can almost see the controversy already. Mark it down, TV will outplay MAF in the post season, and TV will end up starting the pens first game.
lemieuxReturns
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 2,123
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2011 12:00 pm

Re: Penguins acquire rights to Vokoun.

Postby mikey287 on Tue Jun 05, 2012 4:55 pm

lemieuxReturns wrote:I can almost see the controversy already. Mark it down, TV will outplay MAF in the post season, and TV will end up starting the pens first game.


We jumping back into this thing before the Kings finish off the Devils? Sweet!
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 17,098
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 6:40 pm
Location: Philadelphia, PA - @MichaelFarkasHF

Re: Penguins acquire rights to Vokoun.

Postby lemieuxReturns on Tue Jun 05, 2012 4:58 pm

mikey287 wrote:
lemieuxReturns wrote:I can almost see the controversy already. Mark it down, TV will outplay MAF in the post season, and TV will end up starting the pens first game.


We jumping back into this thing before the Kings finish off the Devils? Sweet!


oops, i meant pre-season.
lemieuxReturns
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 2,123
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2011 12:00 pm

Re: Penguins acquire rights to Vokoun.

Postby mikey287 on Tue Jun 05, 2012 5:26 pm

I know, I was just foolin with you. Whatever happens, I just want both goalies to get a ring next year here.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 17,098
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 6:40 pm
Location: Philadelphia, PA - @MichaelFarkasHF

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: neophool and 6 guests

e-mail