Shero states he plans to trade a defenseman or two

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Shero states he plans to trade a defenseman or two

Postby penny lane on Tue Jun 19, 2012 3:28 pm

Rylan wrote:If Orpik got traded I would be a very sad panda.

me too~ a favorite. He came through the mess, coach edzo, the lockout, and the new nhl to win!
Buffalo, LAK, probably Boston ... would be interested. Not writing any obits for any player at this time.
after the mess in april, I knew the core would be shaken up somehow.
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby BurghersAndDogsSports on Tue Jun 19, 2012 3:29 pm

interstorm wrote:
JoseCuervo wrote:
interstorm wrote:
steelhammer wrote:Lovejoy seems to get piled on around here for little reason. He had what, 1 or 2 bad games this season? Last season he played very well. For what it's worth, Crosby says he is the toughest defender to play against in practice. He could still be good if he got regular shifts. He's nothing like that one horrendous playoff game. Niskanen proved that this season.

...if he didn't make that pass in the early moments of the 3rd period of game 2, i believe the pens win that game.

they win that game - i think the flyers are out of their head (they clearly were in it).

with the flyers out of their heads - i think the pens play much better in that series and (honestly) i believe they win it.

not saying lovejoy's pass cost us the cup...but that was a REALLY BAD play that sucked the life out of the team. for what he brings (which isn't much when there are others who can take his place), i simply couldn't keep a risk like him around.

There were a lot of bad plays in that series. From every defenseman and every forward. I think singling one out is pretty stupid.

not sure how that was "stupid" (nice vocabulary, by the way). the pens had the momentum there. they were all fired up, the home team was in it -- everything was set to go their way and the team was ready to put game 1 behind them. i had read somewhere that mario threw something (bottle of wine maybe) after that goal. whether that is true or not - i didn't hear any similar statement on any other goal. that was a real pivotal moment in the series and there is nothing "stupid" about wanting that one back.

I understand what you are getting at but the point is they played terrib for much of the series. Many mistakes before that one in game 2 lead to goals that could have changed that game. And remember th flyers thought the pens mailed it in and didn't even show up for game 4. I bet in a tighter series they would have.

Nothing mental or one play can change the fact we were beat by a better more well rounded, better coached team.
BurghersAndDogsSports
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby JoseCuervo on Tue Jun 19, 2012 3:29 pm

interstorm wrote:not sure how that was "stupid" (nice vocabulary, by the way). the pens had the momentum there. they were all fired up, the home team was in it -- everything was set to go their way and the team was ready to put game 1 behind them. i had read somewhere that mario threw something (bottle of wine maybe) after that goal. whether that is true or not - i didn't hear any similar statement on any other goal. that was a real pivotal moment in the series and there is nothing "stupid" about wanting that one back.

Why don't you point out each turnover the pens made en route to blowing a 3-0 lead in game 1? They win that game and they don't need to put game 1 behind them. It's a seven game series. One bad play isn't a huge factor. The pens made terrible plays throughout the series.
JoseCuervo
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby darkstar57 on Tue Jun 19, 2012 3:57 pm

i don't think they trade Orpik, he hasn't had a healthy offseason in probably 2-3 years, last year he didn't even really get goign to 10 games in, plus didn't put a lot of work out in the offseason. I think he was worn out by the end of the year and with no nagging injuries this offseason should be able to get his conditioning in the offseason and be good to go.

I like Martin, i do, i just don't think his style of play fits in with the system. There will be a lot of takers for him and he is not as horrible as people on here make him out to believe.

a healthy Letang - Orpik
Nisky - Big Z
Depress - Engo

are good to start the season, add a vertern at the deadline to possible push everyone.
darkstar57
AHL'er
AHL'er

Location: A flute with no holes, is not a flute. A donut with no hole, is a Danish

Postby ffemtreed on Tue Jun 19, 2012 4:04 pm

We need a stud shutdown D man for the top pair.

Orpik isn't going anywhere, the last thing we need to do is get rid of team toughness. Orpik and Letang make a great 2nd pair. Get a stud with Michalek for the first shutdown pair. Niskanen and Despres make a good 3rd pairing with Lovejoy or Engelland in the 7th spot.

In my scenerio I see Lovejoy and Martin going somewhere else.

The only real weakness is the 2nd PP unit. But Martin hasn't proven himself there anyways, so we are no worse off.
ffemtreed
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Shyster on Tue Jun 19, 2012 4:04 pm

I’d keep Michalek and his decent shot-blocking. Martin worked well in New Jersey’s defense-first system and could work well on a team with a similar system. It’s just like the fact that Niskanen wasn’t working out well in Dallas and has been doing much better here. Some players just don’t fit well in some places. The Pens need to clear Martins’ salary and I would take a substantial discount on the return if someone is willing to take him.

I also agree that we have a fair-sized logjam of borderline D-men that are starting to get a little long in the tooth. Sneep and Strait are both 24, and Bortuzzo is 23. Even taking into account the fact that D-men often take longer to develop than forwards, those guys are getting to the age where it’s time to either press for the NHL or move along in exchange for late-round picks or a similar return.
Shyster
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Location: Iof holdfy cap one on Shydyers is dpoubd go plkease peyay fewr mew

Postby Mr. Colby on Tue Jun 19, 2012 4:10 pm

My prediction:

Lovejoy gets traded for a 6th rounder, either Strait or Bortuzzo gets traded for a 3rd rounder
Mr. Colby
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Bioshock on Tue Jun 19, 2012 4:18 pm

This really isn't surprising. It has been stated in other topics that Shero changing up the blue line was a foregone conclusion just based on the fact that there are 9 NHL caliber defensemen on the roster.

The news about Staal and how adamant Shero is, is actually really surprising. I kinda wonder if Shero has something up his sleeve regarding Staal and he knows something none of the media or general public knows or that he is just so determined to keep him that he will just keep saying he wants to keep him and hope that it will eventually become true.
Bioshock
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Doogs on Tue Jun 19, 2012 5:50 pm

Bioshock wrote:This really isn't surprising. It has been stated in other topics that Shero changing up the blue line was a foregone conclusion just based on the fact that there are 9 NHL caliber defensemen on the roster.

The news about Staal and how adamant Shero is, is actually really surprising. I kinda wonder if Shero has something up his sleeve regarding Staal and he knows something none of the media or general public knows or that he is just so determined to keep him that he will just keep saying he wants to keep him and hope that it will eventually become true.

So you don't have the inside scoop on this Bio?
Doogs
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Doogs on Tue Jun 19, 2012 5:54 pm

I would hope that the Pens, if moving a D-man, they move them for a wing. They need to find a way to shift some of the cap hit to the Offensive side. Especially if they are paying Sid and Geno 9+ each, and have a prayer at signing Staal.
Doogs
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Bioshock on Tue Jun 19, 2012 5:56 pm

Sorry, I haven't talk to my source in a long while. Wish I knew more. If I did, I would certainly say something.
Bioshock
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Doogs on Tue Jun 19, 2012 6:05 pm

Bioshock wrote:Sorry, I haven't talk to my source in a long while. Wish I knew more. If I did, I would certainly say something.

That's too bad. Not that this has the same nail biting effect that Crosby Skates did, but any news that isn't the same B.S. Being written in the paper and on the net.
Doogs
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby NJ5934 on Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:07 pm

Though very little of what I read here surprises me, I just dont get the knocks on Engelland. I don't know what else anyone could want in a sixth defenseman, particularly on a team on the lacking end of overall toughness. I was really impressed by his play this year and regardless of what minutes he got in our six playoff games, I don't think you could ask for anything more. The guy hits, fights, his play in his own end is improving and he plays for the league minimum.

As for the whole "guys like that are a dime a dozen" argument, it's ironic that what the team is lacking is dime a dozen players that everyone think grow on trees. I am holding out hope that Shero has seen the light and we end up with a couple jansson and tootoo types this summer.
NJ5934
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby BurghersAndDogsSports on Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:32 pm

NJ5934 wrote:Though very little of what I read here surprises me, I just dont get the knocks on Engelland. I don't know what else anyone could want in a sixth defenseman, particularly on a team on the lacking end of overall toughness. I was really impressed by his play this year and regardless of what minutes he got in our six playoff games, I don't think you could ask for anything more. The guy hits, fights, his play in his own end is improving and he plays for the league minimum.

As for the whole "guys like that are a dime a dozen" argument, it's ironic that what the team is lacking is dime a dozen players that everyone think grow on trees. I am holding out hope that Shero has seen the light and we end up with a couple jansson and tootoo types this summer.

I'm not really bashing him. Just saying we were having a historically bad defensive performance and worst pk of all time in the playoffs and he couldn't get increased playing time.
BurghersAndDogsSports
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby mikey287 on Tue Jun 19, 2012 10:06 pm

The problem I've always had is: when the chips are down on the biggest stage in professional hockey will I consciously and seamlessly trust trotting out Deryk Engelland...no. Not at this time. It's too big for him. You can see that all the time...Matt Carkner, fine regular season player, when it's time to go, it's just too big of a stage...Stu Bickel is the same player in New York as well, anyone that watched the playoffs understands that he was stapled to the bench the whole time...that's a lot of pace and a lot of quick decisions in the spotlight and a lot of skill to take on every night and I'm not sure Engelland can handle that...

Ideally, Engelland is a #7 on a winner.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Nizzy on Tue Jun 19, 2012 10:20 pm

WE had some good legit Staal discussion. Suggested Hugo should just chill and let it go after awhile until we get some announcements. I got flamed. Still love you though Hugo :) :D

Why don't we just put Staal on the same line as Crosby for the next decade? 25 year old and 24 year old Canadian stars can figure it out.
Nizzy
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Jasmine on Tue Jun 19, 2012 10:38 pm

Geno is the one who will be leaving next summer. Staal stays, thank god.
Jasmine
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Idoit40fans on Tue Jun 19, 2012 10:49 pm

NJ5934 wrote:Though very little of what I read here surprises me, I just dont get the knocks on Engelland. I don't know what else anyone could want in a sixth defenseman, particularly on a team on the lacking end of overall toughness. I was really impressed by his play this year and regardless of what minutes he got in our six playoff games, I don't think you could ask for anything more. The guy hits, fights, his play in his own end is improving and he plays for the league minimum.

Thats not ironic because its not true.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Malkamaniac on Tue Jun 19, 2012 10:52 pm

Jasmine wrote:Geno is the one who will be leaving next summer. Staal stays, thank god.

Link to this truth please?
Malkamaniac
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby mikey287 on Tue Jun 19, 2012 10:55 pm

Jasmine wrote:Geno is the one who will be leaving next summer. Staal stays, thank god.

Whew, thank god we'll finally lose that Hart trophy winner...he's really holding us back...
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Tue Jun 19, 2012 11:00 pm

Malkamaniac wrote:

Link to this truth please?

The definitive posts are funny, the condescending ones are funnier. People actually being able to see the posts when they aren't quoted is the peak level of funniness.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Mosby on Tue Jun 19, 2012 11:43 pm

Well if anything, all this trade hubbub these last couple of weeks should make for an interesting Thursday/Friday on this board. You have to laugh if Shero's trades end up being the likes of the Lovejoys, Straits, Bortuzzos, Jefferies, etc. There will be people all up in arms one way or another.
Mosby
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Tatu on Wed Jun 20, 2012 3:11 am

Thank god Shero is not thinking this way. I agree with the fact that Geno is expensive but this team is going nowhere in the playoffs with Jordan Staal as our number 1 center (if Sid is not able to play for some reason). I really hope that Shero will sign Staal and he will able play with Geno or Sid in future.

I am not a big fan or hater of Martin (I was so happy when he was signed - not so much anymore) or Michalek but one of them needs to be traded.
Tatu

Postby Gaucho on Wed Jun 20, 2012 6:53 am

Wow.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Pensrock on Wed Jun 20, 2012 8:29 am

Yeah, ummm... thankfully Shero does not think like you.

Yep lets trade the most dominant player in hockey last season and one of the top couple players in the world. Makes perfect sense.
Pensrock
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins