Shero states he plans to trade a defenseman or two

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Shero states he plans to trade a defenseman or two

Postby meecrofilm on Wed Jun 20, 2012 2:33 pm

Well yeah, obviously it'd be ideal if we could keep both of them for as long as we needed, but the numbers dictate a move must be made.
meecrofilm
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby IanMoran on Wed Jun 20, 2012 2:35 pm

Best case scenario...

Shero finds a team that needs to take on salary just to reach minimum salary and is willing to do so with Martin
IanMoran
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby DelPen on Wed Jun 20, 2012 2:37 pm

largegarlic wrote:I'm interested to hear why some people are inclined to put Bortuzzo in the "don't trade" pile. I mean this in an entirely non-confrontational way. I didn't think he embarrassed himself when called up this year, but he certainly wasn't as good as Despres. I also would rate Strait higher than him given that Strait didn't embarrass himself in the playoffs, even when many other Pens did.

However, I haven't seen any WBS games, and I know from checking in occasionally on Bombulie's WBS blog that Bombulie thinks Bortuzzo doesn't have anything left to prove at the AHL level and will be playing in the NHL somewhere (PIT or otherwise) next year.

What am I missing with regards to Bortuzzo's game?

Pretty much his size. 6'4" will come in handy if the NHL keeps allowing obstruction. He has a lot of potential still to tap. Despres is the only other really big defensemen in the system. All thing being equal I keep him especially considering he will not clear waivers (Lovejoy and Strait might) and you couldn't redraft a player like him in the 6th or 7th round.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby DelPen on Wed Jun 20, 2012 2:40 pm

IanMoran wrote:Best case scenario...

Shero finds a team that needs to take on salary just to reach minimum salary and is willing to do so with Martin

St. Louis might just be that team. Or Detroit. And Martin would actually be really better off under Hitch or Babcock.

Wings have like $19 million to spend on 3 or 4 players, and the Blues have $28 million to sign the same #.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby sil on Wed Jun 20, 2012 2:42 pm

DelPen wrote:
IanMoran wrote:Best case scenario...

St. Louis might just be that team. Or Detroit. And Martin would actually be really better off under Hitch or Babcock.

Wings have like $19 million to spend on 3 or 4 players, and the Blues have $28 million to sign the same #.

Based on the Wings fans I know...and how much flack they've given me over Martin...I might die laughing if we traded Pauly to them.
sil
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby JoseCuervo on Wed Jun 20, 2012 2:43 pm

I'd rather have strait than bortuzzo, but it's pretty much a preference when comparing the two. They're very similar players, and both would likely be lost on waivers which is likely why shero plans trading a defenseman. There is a logjam for the bottom pairing especially if they resign niskanen.
JoseCuervo
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby columbia on Wed Jun 20, 2012 3:15 pm

Josh Yohe ‏@JoshYohe_Trib

Pens D Paul Martin just told me that he played the first three games against the Flyers with concussion-like symptoms.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby MRandall25 on Wed Jun 20, 2012 3:16 pm

^^ That makes a lot of sense
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Avyran on Wed Jun 20, 2012 3:35 pm

Continuing the quotes from Yohe about Martin...
Martin said nothing to trainers until after Game 3. At that point, he was shut down for the rest of the series.

Martin is fully recovered from the concussion and is working out every day in Minnesota.

Martin said he hopes he isn't traded and wants to show Pittsburgh "what kind of a players I am capable of being."
Avyran
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Trip McNeely on Wed Jun 20, 2012 3:38 pm

If will be pretty hilarious if Paul Martin comes back this year and is our best defenseman. Sort of like how Matt Niskanen was a whipping boy last year. THis board will go :scared:
Trip McNeely
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Rylan on Wed Jun 20, 2012 3:43 pm

Paul Martin is historically a solid defenseman. As such, I am more inclined to give him a second chance. I feel comfortable with the defense (except I would wish for a better 6th d-man but what can you do). I just think it is overpayed and as such people will use that as a reason to despise a player or group.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby MRandall25 on Wed Jun 20, 2012 3:43 pm

Paul Martin could win the Norris next year, and there would still be people here who hate him.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby mikey287 on Wed Jun 20, 2012 3:48 pm

I've withstood all along (certainly not alone) that he's a good player...maybe just not a good fit. This seems like as good of a time as any to say this, I have a weird feeling gnawing at the back of my brain that Brooks Orpik is the guy that goes...even though it doesn't make that much sense, I just have a weird inkling...probably nothing though...hopefully...
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby FallenHero96 on Wed Jun 20, 2012 3:49 pm

I don't dislike Martin but as was said, he is just overpaid for what he brings. On this team cap space is tight and that 5 mil could be much better used, especially when we have like 4 other D that are capable.
FallenHero96
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby lemieuxReturns on Wed Jun 20, 2012 3:49 pm

Trip McNeely wrote:If will be pretty hilarious if Paul Martin comes back this year and is our best defenseman. Sort of like how Matt Niskanen was a whipping boy last year. THis board will go :scared:

Well it would not be out of the question. I am a big-time Martin basher for sure, but he was an excellent d-man in NJ and I remember how bad Gonchar was for his first season with the pens. Maybe Martin just needed two seasons to settle down into the system. who knows.
lemieuxReturns
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby AlexPKeaton on Wed Jun 20, 2012 3:50 pm

I would like Martin if he played good. It is that simple, and nothing personal.
AlexPKeaton
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Rylan on Wed Jun 20, 2012 3:50 pm

Orpik has just been with the Pens for so long it would suck to see him go.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby lemieuxReturns on Wed Jun 20, 2012 3:50 pm

Rylan wrote:Paul Martin is historically a solid defenseman. As such, I am more inclined to give him a second chance. I feel comfortable with the defense (except I would wish for a better 6th d-man but what can you do). I just think it is overpayed and as such people will use that as a reason to despise a player or group.

You must mean a third chance :)
lemieuxReturns
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby FallenHero96 on Wed Jun 20, 2012 3:53 pm

I would think it more likely they trade Martin than Orpik, not even because of money but because of the toughness factor. No other D we have plays like that.
FallenHero96
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby lemieuxReturns on Wed Jun 20, 2012 3:54 pm

FallenHero96 wrote:I would think it more likely they trade Martin than Orpik, not even because of money but because of the toughness factor. No other D we have plays like that.

Engelland and Letang both play pretty physical hockey also...but yea, i agree that Orpik's toughness plus leadership stare are unreplaceable.
lemieuxReturns
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby MRandall25 on Wed Jun 20, 2012 4:02 pm

FallenHero96 wrote:I would think it more likely they trade Martin than Orpik, not even because of money but because of the toughness factor. No other D we have plays like that.

I'd say it's kinda hard to play "tough" when you're experiencing concussion symptoms for at least the first 3 games of the playoffs.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby lemieuxReturns on Wed Jun 20, 2012 4:08 pm

MRandall25 wrote:

I'd say it's kinda hard to play "tough" when you're experiencing concussion symptoms for at least the first 3 games of the playoffs.

umm... Martin never plays tough PERIOD. He may be a good d-man in some eyes even a great one in others, but i think no one would ever venture out and say he plays tough.
lemieuxReturns
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby MRandall25 on Wed Jun 20, 2012 4:10 pm

lemieuxReturns wrote:
MRandall25 wrote:

umm... Martin never plays tough PERIOD. He may be a good d-man in some eyes even a great one in others, but i think no one would ever venture out and say he plays tough.

Depends on your definition of "tough".
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Rylan on Wed Jun 20, 2012 4:11 pm

Playing through concussion symptoms is tough.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Letang Is The Truth on Wed Jun 20, 2012 4:19 pm

Rylan wrote:Playing through concussion symptoms is ignorant.
Letang Is The Truth
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins