Staal Trade Analysis

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Staal Trade Analysis

Postby JoseCuervo on Sat Jun 23, 2012 12:11 am

SCrosby87 wrote:Guys -- Is this a good tradE?

I thought you were going to stop posting if staal got traded. If you do, I'd consider this a good trade.
JoseCuervo
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby brwi on Sat Jun 23, 2012 12:22 am

Pitts wrote:I have a question:

Where is Jamine and her "You people are idiots of you think Staal will get traded before Malkin?"

I was wondering that also :D
brwi
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby mikey287 on Sat Jun 23, 2012 12:30 am

We did very good. Sutter is leadership, he's defensive excellence, he's right-handed (big help on defensive zone draws, little variety now), he's got 20-goal/40-45-point upside probably, he wore an A as a youngster in Carolina, he plays with passion, he just wants to win, loves his role...oh and how about the bloodlines! Hockey is in his blood...

Dumoulin, great two-way guy, 6'3" great skater with a big frame. Very close to ready, maybe a year away, just get a year of AHL hockey under his belt. Immediately hops Strait and Bortuzzo on the depth chart in the organization. In a year, he'll hope Engelland/Lovejoy with ease, if he isn't there already...guy is a winner too. Two-time champion, if I'm not mistaken...

Edit:
Pedigree on Dumoulin:
- 2nd round pick (51st) in 2009
- 22 pts, +37 as a freshman; three-year college career: +87, 11 goals, 72 assists, in 123 games.
- As a freshman: won the National Championship, Hockey East All-Rookie Team
- Sophomore: Hockey East champion, WJC bronze medal, Hockey East best defensive d-man award, Hockey East First-Team All-Star, First-Team All-American
- Junior: Everything: Champion, All-Tournament, Hockey East 1st team, All-American First Team, best defensive defenseman, Hobey Baker finalist, best defenseman...

Not wild about Pouliot...but the trade was for a top-10 pick, that's the value...what you do with the pick falls under "drafting" not "trade results"...
Last edited by mikey287 on Sat Jun 23, 2012 12:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Kraftster on Sat Jun 23, 2012 12:31 am

mikey287 wrote:We did very good. Sutter is leadership, he's defensive excellence, he's right-handed (big help on defensive zone draws, little variety now), he's got 20-goal upside probably, he wore an A as a youngster in Carolina, he plays with passion, he just wants to win, loves his role...

Dumoulin, great two-way guy, 6'3" great skater with a big frame. Very close to ready, maybe a year away, just get a year of AHL hockey under his belt. Immediately hops Strait and Bortuzzo on the depth chart in the organization. In a year, he'll hope Engelland/Lovejoy with ease, if he isn't there already...guy is a winner too. Two-time champion, if I'm not mistaken...

Not wild about Pouliot...but the trade was for a top-10 pick, that's the value...what you do with the pick falls under "drafting" not "trade results"...

Huh, good point, I guess, but its really hard for me to actually separate.
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby steelhammer on Sat Jun 23, 2012 12:33 am

Mikey,

Who would you have liked to see the Pens pick at #8?
steelhammer
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby pensrule on Sat Jun 23, 2012 12:38 am

The hell with Jordan Staal! If he didn't want to be here, good riddance! We got a good return considering the circumstances, although I don't like the piks at #8 or #22. Why not take Gaunce at #22, especially after you took Pouliot at #8???
pensrule
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby mikey287 on Sat Jun 23, 2012 12:39 am

steelhammer wrote:Mikey,

Who would you have liked to see the Pens pick at #8?

Cody Ceci or Slater Koekkoek immediately come to mind. Didn't have Pouliot that high. Had Ceci as a top-10 guy, had Koekkoek not far behind. Ended up being reversed in real life...but that's where I would have went.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Rylan on Sat Jun 23, 2012 12:39 am

Best Player Available at #22
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby pens_CT on Sat Jun 23, 2012 12:41 am

mikey287 wrote:We did very good. Sutter is leadership, he's defensive excellence, he's right-handed (big help on defensive zone draws, little variety now), he's got 20-goal/40-45-point upside probably, he wore an A as a youngster in Carolina, he plays with passion, he just wants to win, loves his role...oh and how about the bloodlines! Hockey is in his blood...

Edit:
Pedigree on Dumoulin:
- 22 pts, +37 as a freshman; three-year college career: +87, 11 goals, 72 assists, in 123 games.
- Sophomore: Hockey East champion, WJC bronze medal, Hockey East best defensive d-man award, Hockey East First-Team All-Star, First-Team All-American
- Junior: Everything: Champion, All-Tournament, Hockey East 1st team, All-American First Team, best defensive defenseman, Hobey Baker finalist, best defenseman...

Do you think Pouliot ever plays for the Pens? I wouldn't be suprised if he is moved as part of another trade either this year or next. Another case of Shero collecting assets for future moves.
pens_CT
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby mikey287 on Sat Jun 23, 2012 12:41 am

pensrule wrote:The hell with Jordan Staal! If he didn't want to be here, good riddance! We got a good return considering the circumstances, although I don't like the piks at #8 or #22. Why not take Gaunce at #22, especially after you took Pouliot at #8???

Because Maatta is way better than Gaunce.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Kraftster on Sat Jun 23, 2012 12:43 am

pens_CT wrote:
mikey287 wrote:We did very good. Sutter is leadership, he's defensive excellence, he's right-handed (big help on defensive zone draws, little variety now), he's got 20-goal/40-45-point upside probably, he wore an A as a youngster in Carolina, he plays with passion, he just wants to win, loves his role...oh and how about the bloodlines! Hockey is in his blood...

Edit:
Pedigree on Dumoulin:

Do you think Pouliot ever plays for the Pens? I wouldn't be suprised if he is moved as part of another trade either this year or next. Another case of Shero collecting assets for future moves.

If he were just collecting assets, I don't think he would have gone so off of the board.
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby mikey287 on Sat Jun 23, 2012 12:44 am

pens_CT wrote:

Edit:
Pedigree on Dumoulin:

That seems to be Shero's M.O., right now you can make a legitimate claim that the Penguins have the best defensive prospect pool in the league and I'm struggling to think of anyone that's close. And anyone that knows me, I'm not a homer (or try not to be) and I know prospects pretty well...I'm tired and hungry, but I can't think off hand of anyone that can get reasonably close to our pool on the blueline...(we have no goalies or forwards, but whatever...details...)

Will Pouliot ever play for us? Maybe. Would I be shocked if we Whitney'd or Goligoski'd someone again in the next 18-24 months? Not at all.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby pittsports87 on Sat Jun 23, 2012 1:15 am

I hope this trade means more Crosby and Malkin on the PK.
pittsports87
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Nizzy on Sat Jun 23, 2012 2:33 am

I really wish we went with Forsberg at 8...he was ranked freaking THIRD overall by TSN... I dont know if you can get better value than that by trading Pouliot.. i mean philly got the 8th pick and made it Couturier..I really think we should have went with a forward. Grigorenko sounds nice but who knows... Caps got Forsberg watch him be a stud T_T
Nizzy
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Pens4Life on Sat Jun 23, 2012 3:39 am

I'm glad we got one big Defensman in Dumoulin,a great defensive D prospect.. let's hope he develops into NHL stud :)
Pens4Life
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby DelPen on Sat Jun 23, 2012 7:34 am

I'd say Sutter is a better fit as a 3rd line center on this team than Staal was.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Puck Drama on Sat Jun 23, 2012 7:38 am

easy to analyze - Fail - Fail - Fail
Puck Drama
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby columbia on Sat Jun 23, 2012 7:56 am

Dejan unloads both barrels...

Disrespect the Penguins? See ya
http://triblive.com/sports/penguins/208 ... -extension
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby dman66 on Sat Jun 23, 2012 9:01 am

Puck Drama wrote:easy to analyze - Fail - Fail - Fail

I don't even know why I'm doing this, but what did you expect them to get?
dman66
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Pavel Bure on Sat Jun 23, 2012 9:20 am

The things being said about Domoulin are the same things I remember hearing about Gilroy. Success doesn't always translate. Although Domo is 6'3" and you can't teach size
Pavel Bure
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Durbano on Sat Jun 23, 2012 9:45 am

Everything I've read in the hockey press, including a Carolina paper, says the trade was good for both teams.
Durbano
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby DelPen on Sat Jun 23, 2012 9:59 am

Durbano wrote:Everything I've read in the hockey press, including a Carolina paper, says the trade was good for both teams.

:thumb:

Some times this happens. Usually you know if it's fair if both sides hate it, in this case I think the vast majority of each fanbase likes the deal.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby no name on Sat Jun 23, 2012 10:04 am

The trade was good concidering we had no barganing power with no other teams. If we just put him on the market and let the bidding was begin things would of been alot different. But with the leak of info and finding out that jordan wanted out. Its admazing we got as much as we did. All in all we did good in being forced to trade with one team.

I guess carolina got impatience and their ownership wanted the deal to get done. I never thought they would give up Sutter in a million years. He is no jardan Staal but he has a good offensive upside for a 3rd line center and great on the PK. He reminds me of a young John Madden. And can close down anoher teams top scorer.
no name
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby DudeMan2766 on Sat Jun 23, 2012 10:10 am

columbia wrote:Dejan unloads both barrels...

Disrespect the Penguins? See ya
http://triblive.com/sports/penguins/208 ... -extension

Eh, I didnt really like the ovation last night when all Bettman did was say "The Penguins trade Jordan Staal" thats Yinzer mentality. HOW DARE YOU NOT WANT TO SIGN WITH US THIS IS PICKSBURGH 6 SUPERBOWLS. If all things equal and Staal was a Flyer and signed that deal, we'd all be calling him an idiot for passing up way more money on the open marke just to play 3rd line for the rest of his life. I cheered when they announced we got Sutter, mainly because I was just amped up for the draft and glad this was over with quickly. But this "How dare he" "Screw Staal" stuff I've been seeing around is dumb.
DudeMan2766
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby bhaw on Sat Jun 23, 2012 10:12 am

DelPen wrote:
Durbano wrote:Everything I've read in the hockey press, including a Carolina paper, says the trade was good for both teams.

:thumb:

Some times this happens. Usually you know if it's fair if both sides hate it, in this case I think the vast majority of each fanbase likes the deal.

Agree. If you are a Canes fan, you like it because you just got your 2nd line center and best player in the trade (and Eric's brother to add to the interest level). All reports indicated Jordan was done at the end of the year. Pens get back a 3rd line center (sure, a lesser one), a prospect, and a high pick. As a Pens fan, it's hard to not be happy getting a solid center, prospect, and high pick for Staal considering he was most likely gone next summer if you played with him.

Oh, and we also free up cap space, so the trade will also include whoever (or a portion of) the guy we pick up with the cap space. If we are able to land a Parise, Suter, or someone like that because of the trade, the small pockets of discontent will go away pretty quickly.
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins