Staal Trade Analysis

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Staal Trade Analysis

Postby TheHammer24 on Sat Jun 23, 2012 10:17 am

Totally agree. Dejan's column is yinzer through and through. How did Staal exactly disrespect us?
TheHammer24
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby DudeMan2766 on Sat Jun 23, 2012 10:28 am

TheHammer24 wrote:Totally agree. Dejan's column is yinzer through and through. How did Staal exactly disrespect us?

I actually got one of my idiot coworkers who only loosely follows hockey but is somehow still in the screw staal camp to believe Shero offered him 6 mil because of the 6 Superbowls and Staal said no. This guys probably still stewing over that "fact"
DudeMan2766
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby owtahear on Sat Jun 23, 2012 10:34 am

In the Staal 459 page thread about 400 times myself and a few sage others kept on telling yinz that it is not about the Pens wanting to trade Staal, it is not about the money, it is not about contract length, it is about Jordan wanting to be a) "the man" and b) paired with his brother.

So......when the Staal turned down the Pens offer and his camp made it be clear to all that he would only sign an extension with Carolina, GMRS was painted into a corner. The dream trade of Faulk, Sutter, the #8 for Jordan and Martin was out the window.

So......for GMRS to get the 8th pick, Sutter AND Dumolin, wow. It was a great deal for the Pens all things considered. It was a good deal for the Canes for sure. They got an upgrade in talent. But for the Pens? Acquiring Sutter gives them still one of the best 3rd line Centers in the game, younger and cheaper than Staal. They got a great puck rushing defensemen compared with Letang. And they got a huge defensemen, big, good skater and maybe close to the NHL.

What this does........also is obviously with the Michalek trade, now the Pens have cap manueverability. They also have a bit of cost certainty knowing that with this stable of d corps, if Letang's next contract is too big, or if you have to move an Orpik, you can do that. Also........man they are the envy of the NHL with defensemen talent. They can move a top talent such as a Scott Harrington or Simon Depres without blinking an eye for a young forward if need be.
owtahear
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby penny lane on Sat Jun 23, 2012 10:39 am

Pitts wrote:I have a question:

Where is Jamine and her "You people are idiots of you think Staal will get traded before Malkin?"

;) that would be Jasmine. Hey I wanted to ship Sergei Gonchar out with a free pass after the 07' play offs. I was wrong and mea culpa to gonchar always. We all are wrong at some point about the pens.

*about the trade, Evgeni and / or Sid will find some time killing penalties. They'll have to be smart, but they could be oh, so , dynamic on the PK.
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby malkinshair on Sat Jun 23, 2012 10:57 am

TheHammer24 wrote:Totally agree. Dejan's column is yinzer through and through. How did Staal exactly disrespect us?

The 'disrespect' was leaking the fact that he'd only be willing to extend with Carolina. The funny thing about it is...no one knows where that info came from. It wasn't a quote from Staal or his agent. It was included in a tweet from a TSN reporter (I'd link it, but the last 2 days are a blur).

For all we know, the reporter stuck his personal opinion at the end of a tweet...and the Rossi's of the world ran with it. This had been a very low-key and boring lead-up to this year's draft...until that tweet.

...or Shero leaked the info himself to force Carolina's hand :shock:

Think about it. Staal turns down the Pens best offer, basically announcing that he will not be here after this coming year. Maybe in a previous conversation with Staal he had mentioned wanting to play with his brothers in Carolina. Shero takes this info, and, when confirming to the reporter that Staal has turned down their offer and that Staal's agent so 'no extension at this time', throws in at the end 'but I think he's looking at the 'Canes after next year'.

Now, before you say 'Why would a GM severely limit his trading partners???', think of how easy that went yesterday. The deal was done in 4 hours...and he was still able to use the Rangers to leverage for Sutter...the 1 player he had to have to 'replace' Staal. No drama, no 29 teams calling every 2 seconds throwing different scenarios in your direction, no chance of causing team stress by having to deal with it. Clean cut and done...and you got good value. You also get to play the 'we did this for Staal' card, which is brilliant!

It could've blown up in his face if Carolina wasn't willing to deal, but every GM has a little riverboat gambler in him. IMO, Shero pulled a full house. Not a straight-flush, but certainly a good hand to show at the end.
malkinshair
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby DudeMan2766 on Sat Jun 23, 2012 11:18 am

DudeMan2766 wrote:
columbia wrote:Dejan unloads both barrels...

Disrespect the Penguins? See ya
http://triblive.com/sports/penguins/208 ... -extension

Eh, I didnt really like the ovation last night when all Bettman did was say "The Penguins trade Jordan Staal" thats Yinzer mentality. HOW DARE YOU NOT WANT TO SIGN WITH US THIS IS PICKSBURGH 6 SUPERBOWLS. If all things equal and Staal was a Flyer and signed that deal, we'd all be calling him an idiot for passing up way more money on the open marke just to play 3rd line for the rest of his life. I cheered when they announced we got Sutter, mainly because I was just amped up for the draft and glad this was over with quickly. But this "How dare he" "Screw Staal" stuff I've been seeing around is dumb.

LOL and just like Dejan tweets me "id like to thank you for not reading past the headline" Thats his go to each time someone disagrees with an article
DudeMan2766
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby pens#1 on Sat Jun 23, 2012 11:28 am

what is Sutter's contract?
pens#1
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Steve on Sat Jun 23, 2012 11:28 am

This is win-win-win as far as the Pens-Hurricanes-Staal are concerned. At least that's how I see it.

Good work by Shero to be decisive here, and he got more than I thought he would.
Steve
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby bhaw on Sat Jun 23, 2012 11:30 am

pens#1 wrote:what is Sutter's contract?

This year and next for just over $2m (2.067 or something like that).
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby penny lane on Sat Jun 23, 2012 11:51 am

When's the last time a player pulled the strings to force a trade to the Hurricanes?
8-)
~from the News & Observer in Carolina.

reactions from both cities!
http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-puck- ... .html?utm_
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby mig991 on Sat Jun 23, 2012 11:56 am

Whoever gets the best player wins the trade.

Five years down the road, maybe the Pens are declared the 'winners', but today they are not.

Pretty likely the Pens sign Parise as all the pieces are falling into place, but say they don't. Are the Pens better or worse heading into next season?

Say they sign Suter but not Parise? Is that enough to overcome the loss of Staal and Michalek? Lots of fun being a Pens fan right now, but a lot of questions too. We will know for sure if this is a good trade on July 1st.
mig991

Postby BurghersAndDogsSports on Sat Jun 23, 2012 12:25 pm

mig991 wrote:Whoever gets the best player wins the trade.

Five years down the road, maybe the Pens are declared the 'winners', but today they are not.

Pretty likely the Pens sign Parise as all the pieces are falling into place, but say they don't. Are the Pens better or worse heading into next season?

Say they sign Suter but not Parise? Is that enough to overcome the loss of Staal and Michalek? Lots of fun being a Pens fan right now, but a lot of questions too. We will know for sure if this is a good trade on July 1st.

Exactly. Right now we traded Sutter for Staal and ZM fo next season. if the prospects (or one of them) turn out solid and we sign a valuable component the trades take a completely different turn.

We can partially evaluate after FA and have to wait years to see how it actually turns out.
BurghersAndDogsSports
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby SoupOrSam on Sat Jun 23, 2012 12:40 pm

lol, the pens will not sit on close to 15mil. SOMEONE is getting signed. big time.
SoupOrSam
AHL'er
AHL'er

Location: Wanna fight? Why don't you stick your head up my butt and fight for air.

Postby Pitts on Sat Jun 23, 2012 1:06 pm

BurghersAndDogsSports wrote:We can partially evaluate after FA and have to wait years to see how it actually turns out.

Are you seriously going to care that far out?? Honestly, it was a solid move. Got a very good NHL player now, plus 2 solid prospects for a player who was leaving next season for nothing. There is nothing more to evaluate!
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby lemieuxReturns on Sat Jun 23, 2012 1:11 pm

SoupOrSam wrote:lol, the pens will not sit on close to 15mil. SOMEONE is getting signed. big time.

Maybe ownership is tired of spending at the cap limit and exiting in the first round.
lemieuxReturns
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby SoupOrSam on Sat Jun 23, 2012 1:13 pm

Right...
SoupOrSam
AHL'er
AHL'er

Location: Wanna fight? Why don't you stick your head up my butt and fight for air.

Postby Henry Hank on Sat Jun 23, 2012 1:13 pm

I don't know why anyone would be offended that Staal would rather play with his brother and have a bigger role than stay here and always be #3. Carolina has three of the Staals in their organization now and I'm sure it's only a matter of time before Marc ends up there. That's cool for them.
Henry Hank
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby BurghersAndDogsSports on Sat Jun 23, 2012 1:14 pm

Pitts wrote:
BurghersAndDogsSports wrote:We can partially evaluate after FA and have to wait years to see how it actually turns out.

Are you seriously going to care that far out?? Honestly, it was a solid move. Got a very good NHL player now, plus 2 solid prospects for a player who was leaving next season for nothing. There is nothing more to evaluate!

I think it was a great move. For now. And yes I will care far out if the pro player leaves after 2 years and none of the prospects turn out?

You won't be disappointed?

we have plenty of cap space but I am curious as to how it all plays out. It will be fun to watch.
BurghersAndDogsSports
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby SoupOrSam on Sat Jun 23, 2012 1:18 pm

Henry Hank wrote:I don't know why anyone would be offended that Staal would rather play with his brother and have a bigger role than stay here and always be #3. Carolina has three of the Staals in their organization now and I'm sure it's only a matter of time before Marc ends up there. That's cool for them.

And if I'm a fan or any part of the Ranger organization, that does not sit well with me at any stretch of the imagination.
SoupOrSam
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby lemieuxReturns on Sat Jun 23, 2012 1:29 pm

SoupOrSam wrote:
Henry Hank wrote:I don't know why anyone would be offended that Staal would rather play with his brother and have a bigger role than stay here and always be #3. Carolina has three of the Staals in their organization now and I'm sure it's only a matter of time before Marc ends up there. That's cool for them.

And if I'm a fan or any part of the Ranger organization, that does not sit well with me at any stretch of the imagination.

had this happened to the rangers, and we still had jordan for 3 years as the rangers have marc, then that would have been helpful for sure. at least the rangers have three years to work out a deal with a team where they can get the best deal.
lemieuxReturns
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby no name on Sat Jun 23, 2012 1:30 pm

You know we still got the best 3rd line center in hockey. But in a different way, Jordan was the best 3rd line center in a sence that he shouldn't be playing a 3rd line psoition. Branden Sutter is the best 3rd line center as in he is a classic 3rd line guy. The fact we still got 2 other peices in this deal, 8th overall and that other guy whos name escapes me is good enough.

No more worring about will Jordan be happy in his roll? No more are we holding him back. We got a 3rd line guy who is a bonified 3rd liner and knows that is where he will be at. He will be happy with his roll and his ice time. As much as Shero tried to get a deal done with him, It was Jordan who wanted out.
no name
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Tico Rick on Sat Jun 23, 2012 1:35 pm

Good points, no name. To me the Staal situation is similar to the Hossa situation in that, had the Pens signed Hossa, they would have tied their hands in terms of future signings/trades. If Staal had taken that 10-year deal we'd be stuck with the likes of Tyler Kennedy and Steve Sullivan for the next ten years.
Tico Rick
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Gaucho on Sat Jun 23, 2012 1:37 pm

Fine by me, if the likes of TK and Sullivan complement the likes of Geno, Sid, Staal/Parise, and Neal.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Tico Rick on Sat Jun 23, 2012 1:39 pm

If Staal signed that contract, we're not even talking about getting Parise. And Staal at wing just never seemed to work.
Tico Rick
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Gaucho on Sat Jun 23, 2012 1:41 pm

Tico Rick wrote:If Staal signed that contract, we're not even talking about getting Parise.

That goes without saying, yes.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins