Michalek to Coyotes for 3rd round pick, prospect

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Michalek to Coyotes for 3rd round pick, prospect

Postby Durbano on Sun Jun 24, 2012 8:35 am

Since ZM was just signed here semi- recently, is it possible Shero asked ZM where he'd like to go so as not look like a **** to other possible FA's? And just took the best offer from that team? I realize this was a pure salary dump and the idea sounds far fetched.

Doesn't sound far-fetched at all. Sounds like good business. It can be a salary dump and be player-friendly at the same time.

In that same vein, I've seen Orpik's name in other threads about trade speculation. Orpik took a lot less money to re-up with the Pens than he could have gotten from ... was it Buffalo that was ready to throw lots of cash at him? Anyway, I know that was a few years ago, and it certainly worked out for both sides, since the Pens won the Cup the following season. But if Shero traded him to, say, Columbus, that probably wouldn't help Ray the next time he asked anyone for a hometown discount. My point being that I think it's wise not to treat these players solely as commodities.
Durbano
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Big Easy Pens Fan on Sun Jun 24, 2012 9:39 am

Durbano wrote:
Since ZM was just signed here semi- recently, is it possible Shero asked ZM where he'd like to go so as not look like a **** to other possible FA's? And just took the best offer from that team? I realize this was a pure salary dump and the idea sounds far fetched.

Doesn't sound far-fetched at all. Sounds like good business. It can be a salary dump and be player-friendly at the same time.

In that same vein, I've seen Orpik's name in other threads about trade speculation. Orpik took a lot less money to re-up with the Pens than he could have gotten from ... was it Buffalo that was ready to throw lots of cash at him? Anyway, I know that was a few years ago, and it certainly worked out for both sides, since the Pens won the Cup the following season. But if Shero traded him to, say, Columbus, that probably wouldn't help Ray the next time he asked anyone for a hometown discount. My point being that I think it's wise not to treat these players solely as commodities.

Abslolutely spot-on Durbano. :fist:

BEPF
Big Easy Pens Fan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Idoit40fans on Sun Jun 24, 2012 10:04 am

Shero gave Michalek that option when he gave him the limited NMC. He didn't need to ask him before the trade.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby bhaw on Sun Jun 24, 2012 10:51 am

Durbano wrote:

Philly did the same with Jeff Carter, who's name is now being engraved on the Stanley Cup. Might look bad up front, but a lot of times it's best for everyone involved. I don't think we are getting rid of Orpik nor do I want to. But players would also recognize that if the Pens were totally down on him, it's better to put him somewhere he can potentially flourish instead of being underused regardless of contract.

The players know this is business just as much as the GMs and owners... hence why Fehr is helping them negotiate the new CBA. I think people take player feelings too much into it. Sure, there is some "wow that was crappy" fallout when a guy like Carter gets moved, but is anyone saying "Oh, poor Jeffy should never have been let go by those big meanies! How will he ever recover?" anymore?
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby DelPen on Sun Jun 24, 2012 1:26 pm

bhaw wrote:
Durbano wrote:

Philly did the same with Jeff Carter, who's name is now being engraved on the Stanley Cup. Might look bad up front, but a lot of times it's best for everyone involved. I don't think we are getting rid of Orpik nor do I want to. But players would also recognize that if the Pens were totally down on him, it's better to put him somewhere he can potentially flourish instead of being underused regardless of contract.

The players know this is business just as much as the GMs and owners... hence why Fehr is helping them negotiate the new CBA. I think people take player feelings too much into it. Sure, there is some "wow that was crappy" fallout when a guy like Carter gets moved, but is anyone saying "Oh, poor Jeffy should never have been let go by those big meanies! How will he ever recover?" anymore?

It only worked out for Carter because he got traded to a better team after Philly screwed him royally.
DelPen
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby KG on Sun Jun 24, 2012 6:29 pm

The Sens were discussing a trade with the Penguins for Zybynek but did not get the deal they wanted. "He [Penguins' GM Ray Shero] told me what the contract was and what he was going to do, and I said, ‘That’s great, but unless you take an equal contract back, I can’t do it,’ said Ottawa GM Bryan Murray. Zybenek was then traded to the Coyotes.

http://www.ottawasun.com/2012/06/23/no- ... r-michalek
KG
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby FreeCandy44 on Mon Jun 25, 2012 8:56 pm

I could've sworn I heard double m say he knew the real reason why Z was traded. So yeah...anyone know why?
FreeCandy44
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Im The Wreck Of You, Im The Death Of You All ~ Soundgarden

Postby Streaks House on Mon Jun 25, 2012 9:10 pm

KG wrote:The Sens were discussing a trade with the Penguins for Zybynek but did not get the deal they wanted. "He [Penguins' GM Ray Shero] told me what the contract was and what he was going to do, and I said, ‘That’s great, but unless you take an equal contract back, I can’t do it,’ said Ottawa GM Bryan Murray. Zybenek was then traded to the Coyotes.

http://www.ottawasun.com/2012/06/23/no- ... r-michalek

Per CapGeek, Senators under contract in 2012-2013 with AAV > $2M:

Spezza - (3 at $7M)
Alfredsson - (1 at $4.875M)
Michalek, M - (2 at $4.33M)
Neil - (1 at $2M)
Karlsson - (7 at $6.5M)
Gonchar - (1 at $5.5M)
Phillips - (2 at $3.083M)
Anderson (3 at $3.1875M)

ZM had 3 years at $4M...hmmm? :pop:
Streaks House