Nash, Parise, Suter, or Weber

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Who would you sign?

Nash via trade
1%
Parise
69%
Suter
17%
Weber via trade (RFA)
13%

Total votes : 105

Re: Nash, Parise, Suter, or Weber

Postby BurghersAndDogsSports on Sat Jun 23, 2012 11:13 am

no name wrote:Guys 14.6 to sign about 4-5 roster players.we need replacements for Asham, Park, Sullivan.... so its not a true 14.5

And duppers and Cooke, Kunitz are no spring chickens. We are ok restocking defense cheaply over the next few years but we can't just go buck wild on any player we want too at forward.

I was surprised at the take we got for Staal but not sure we are in a position yet to sign a big time fwd and d.

Plus keep in mind cap could decrease by next year too.

One player maybe but we still have some roster spots to fill out.
BurghersAndDogsSports
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby KinCroz on Sat Jun 23, 2012 12:03 pm

NashvilleCat wrote:
Sam's Drunk Dog wrote:Nashville isn't going to get rid of Suter and Weber. Suter is most likely gone and then they will sign Weber.

Exactly. I think they've targeted Weber as the keeper.

I live outside of Nashville (displaced yinzer). The Preds have offered everything to Weber constantly for the past two years and he has repeatedly rejected their offers. They will lose Suter and Weber, not because Nashville doesn't want them as they have offered to overpay for each of them. Rather, they will leave because neither wants play in Nashville. Thus, Weber would be available. just like Staal, you don't let him walk for nothing. More especially, if Suter and Weber leave as appears likely, they have to get something in return. They went all in for the cup last season, but they still are in the same place...no offense and a small fan base.

By the way, Weber is much better than Suter. Better shot, more creative, and better defensively. Suter benefits greatly by playing with him.
Last edited by KinCroz on Sat Jun 23, 2012 12:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KinCroz
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby bhaw on Sat Jun 23, 2012 12:07 pm

Weber is an RFA (said about 700 times this week by various people). He can't just leave Nashville. If someone offers him a 15 year $8m per contract, Nashville can match it.
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby joopen on Sat Jun 23, 2012 12:11 pm

The Pens don't have a goal scoring problem but imagine this... If they sign Parise they could have 150 goals or more from 4 players. That's kinda nuts.
joopen
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby WHITEY1 on Sat Jun 23, 2012 12:26 pm

Per Kuklas kOrner Shero is atively working with Nashville to get the rights to sign suter.
WHITEY1
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby columbia on Sat Jun 23, 2012 12:28 pm

WHITEY1 wrote:Per Kuklas kOrner Shero is atively working with Nashville to get the rights to sign suter.

columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby pens#1 on Sat Jun 23, 2012 12:29 pm

WHITEY1 wrote:Per Kuklas kOrner Shero is atively working with Nashville to get the rights to sign suter.

for Martin would be a win-win
pens#1
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby RxBandit66 on Sat Jun 23, 2012 12:32 pm

joopen wrote:The Pens don't have a goal scoring problem but imagine this... If they sign Parise they could have 150 goals or more from 4 players. That's kinda nuts.

Suter is certainly more of what the Pens need. And if RS is unable to move Martin, don't be surprised if Orpik is moved if the Pens do manage to get Suter. Orpik is getting older, has a fairly big contract, and played poorly (by his standards) last season.

The reason I bring that up is because the Pens would then still have cap room for Parise. They need a few forwards for depth purposes, also, because while their system is stacked with young D, the depth at forward is not very strong. Look at the call ups from the last few seasons. They need to do a bit better than Conner, Williams, and Tangradi, in my opinion.
RxBandit66
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby RxBandit66 on Sat Jun 23, 2012 12:37 pm

pens#1 wrote:

for Martin would be a win-win

Wow, could you imagine that? If the extra cash enables them to also get Parise, then Shero basically would have traded Martin and Michalek for Parise and Suter.

Unreal.
RxBandit66
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby NashvilleCat on Sat Jun 23, 2012 1:51 pm

KinCroz wrote:
NashvilleCat wrote:
Sam's Drunk Dog wrote:Nashville isn't going to get rid of Suter and Weber. Suter is most likely gone and then they will sign Weber.

I live outside of Nashville (displaced yinzer). The Preds have offered everything to Weber constantly for the past two years and he has repeatedly rejected their offers. They will lose Suter and Weber, not because Nashville doesn't want them as they have offered to overpay for each of them. Rather, they will leave because neither wants play in Nashville. Thus, Weber would be available. just like Staal, you don't let him walk for nothing. More especially, if Suter and Weber leave as appears likely, they have to get something in return. They went all in for the cup last season, but they still are in the same place...no offense and a small fan base.

By the way, Weber is much better than Suter. Better shot, more creative, and better defensively. Suter benefits greatly by playing with him.

I'm just outside of Nashville too - Brentwood - and am also a displaced Yinzer. Moved here in '85 and gave up season tickets one after Mario was drafted to move to what was a huge hockey wasteland at the time.

Weber still has one more year and he's the only marquee position player they have. He doesn't move this year (I think) but I agree, Nashville will find it near impossible to keep him. I also like him better than Suter but I'd take either one if I had the chance and the budget and cap space.

For the Preds it's no more Suter, one more year of Weber then I think they have trouble putting fannys in the seats.
NashvilleCat
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby owtahear on Sat Jun 23, 2012 1:55 pm

My Opinion: One of these options could happen:

A) Parise signed
B) Suter Signed
C) Suter signed, Bobby Ryan traded for.

I doubt d and e which are:

d) the holy grail Parise and Suter signed
e) Nothing
owtahear
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Nizzy on Sat Jun 23, 2012 2:08 pm

For me, I'm more interested in Bobby Ryan and I think its the most realistic.

I'm deadset on Suter/Parise meeting up together in one of NJ, MIN, or DET.

Nash = no way, way to much money.

Weber is going to get locked up by Nashville. They will offer him money he cant refuse.
Nizzy
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby KG on Sat Jun 23, 2012 2:16 pm

Wow I'm surprised how much Parise is in the lead on the poll.

I love Parise don't get me wrong. Preference is to obviously sign him and Suter but that may be wishful thinking.

The way I look at it is Parise is a luxury Suter/Weber is a necessity....
KG
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Kraftster on Sat Jun 23, 2012 2:28 pm

What do the Pens have that they can move for Bobby Ryan?
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby bhaw on Sat Jun 23, 2012 2:29 pm

Kraftster wrote:What do the Pens have that they can move for Bobby Ryan?

Yeah, this is why I'm just dismissing any Bobby Ryan talk. It doesn't make sense or really fit.
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Kraftster on Sat Jun 23, 2012 2:29 pm

Again, Martin for Suter's rights without having a deal in place is insane. I know how much everyone hates(ed) Martin and Michalek, but they were both UFAs. Say you get Suter's rights and can't sign him, can the Pens do much better in the FA market to replace those guys they will have then given away?
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby bhaw on Sat Jun 23, 2012 2:33 pm

Kraftster wrote:Again, Martin for Suter's rights without having a deal in place is insane. I know how much everyone hates(ed) Martin and Michalek, but they were both UFAs. Say you get Suter's rights and can't sign him, can the Pens do much better in the FA market to replace those guys they will have then given away?

Agree here as well. You can't move Martin until Suter is locked up.

If the Pens have a lot of interest in him as someone else posted, no need to move him for Suter's rights.
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby littlemoonboot on Sat Jun 23, 2012 2:37 pm

Just seems like Suter would be more likely to go to the Wings. I could see Parise wanting to come to the Pens and sweetening things for Crosby.

SCORE *ALL* THE GOALS

Not that any of this necessarily solves the Pens problems as far as having discipline and playing a defensive team game, though. But I'm just worrying "out loud"
littlemoonboot
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Bioshock on Sat Jun 23, 2012 2:40 pm

With the way things are going in the NHL, i would seriously look at Hal Gil again.
Bioshock
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Fire0nice228 on Sat Jun 23, 2012 2:43 pm

KinCroz wrote:
NashvilleCat wrote:

Suter benefits greatly by playing with [Weber].

Its weird that you say that because most of what I've read has it the other way around. Shea runs around and Suter covers his back.
Fire0nice228
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby PhantomJB93 on Sat Jun 23, 2012 2:48 pm

1. Parise
2. Suter
3. Weber
4. Nash

We're so stacked at defense in prospects now, I'd rather get Crosby his winger and wait another year or two for them to develop if we have to than miss the opportunity to get a GREAT goal-scoring forward so we can have another defenseman now.

I really do think we should be able to get both Suter and Parise with this cap room now though.
PhantomJB93
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby scpensfan on Sat Jun 23, 2012 2:50 pm

Maybe I'm just scarred from our last Pens experience, but I don't see how defense isn't the bigger need. By a mile. Parise would be awesome, but *somebody's* gonna have to keep Philadephia from putting up 8 a game.
scpensfan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Willie Kool on Sat Jun 23, 2012 3:28 pm

scpensfan wrote:Maybe I'm just scarred from our last Pens experience, but I don't see how defense isn't the bigger need. By a mile. Parise would be awesome, but *somebody's* gonna have to keep Philadephia from putting up 8 a game.

Not if we score 9. Besides, isn't that why we got Vokoun? :pop:
Willie Kool
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Hugo Stiglitz on Sat Jun 23, 2012 3:43 pm

Honestly, it seems like the Pens are not messing around right now. I think they're looking to reverse both the Martin and Michalek signings. If the Penguins move Martin, which is not out of the question, I think we could see both Parise and Suter here.
Hugo Stiglitz
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby penny lane on Sat Jun 23, 2012 3:58 pm

As ever, Glen Sather and NYR will be in the mix
Larry Brooks ‏@NYP_Brooksie
Sather today: "I think we're going to be fairly aggressive in free agent market."
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins