Nash, Parise, Suter, or Weber

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Who would you sign?

Nash via trade
1%
Parise
69%
Suter
17%
Weber via trade (RFA)
13%

Total votes : 105

Re: Nash, Parise, Suter, or Weber

Postby mikey287 on Sun Jun 24, 2012 2:58 pm

winger wrote:Has anyone even explored the difficult situation of Parise and Dupuis both wearing # 9? I'm sure it is a sticking point with the agent.

From the ironic coincidence file. IIRC, Zach wore #11 at North Dakota.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby bhaw on Sun Jun 24, 2012 2:59 pm

winger wrote:Has anyone even explored the difficult situation of Parise and Dupuis both wearing # 9? I'm sure it is a sticking point with the agent.

Luckily the Pens can tell Bettman to do whatever they want. Both players will be wearing #9. And only 1/2 of Parise's contract will count towards the cap.
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby columbia on Sun Jun 24, 2012 2:59 pm

Dupuis would switch to 99.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Location: If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu.

Postby Hugo Stiglitz on Sun Jun 24, 2012 2:59 pm

mikey287 wrote:More like July 2nd 4:28 PM

Bryan Allen signs 2 year deal with Penguins
Guillaume Latendresse signs 1 year deal with Penguins
4:29 PM

The first fire Shero thread of the offseason is started.

I wouldn't be mad at those two at all. I think Latendresse is pretty awesome if he can stay healthy. If Parise and Suter are gone, here's what I could see happening and wouldn't be sad about:

July 1st:
Bryan Allen 2yr/$2.5M
Matt Carle 2yrs/$3.5M
Mikael Samuelsson 1yr/$1.5

Penguins trade defenseman Paul Martin to the Minnesota Wild for Cal Clutterbuck and their 2nd round pick in the 2010 NHL Draft.

If that's what our wrap up looked like, I'd be totally fine. Anyone who gets mad at Shero for not signing Parise or Suter is pretty nuts. You can't get mad at a GM because a player preferred to go elsewhere.
Hugo Stiglitz
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Chefpatrick871 on Sun Jun 24, 2012 4:57 pm

The correct answer is all 4 with all taking huge discount to play with Sid.
Chefpatrick871
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Hugo Stiglitz on Sun Jun 24, 2012 5:02 pm

Chefpatrick871 wrote:The correct answer is all 4 with all taking huge discount to play with Sid.

Yup, and Sid will sign for $7M to let that happen...a concussion discount.
Hugo Stiglitz
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby KG on Sun Jun 24, 2012 6:24 pm

Hugo Stiglitz wrote:
mikey287 wrote:More like July 2nd 4:28 PM

Bryan Allen signs 2 year deal with Penguins
Guillaume Latendresse signs 1 year deal with Penguins
4:29 PM

The first fire Shero thread of the offseason is started.

I wouldn't be mad at those two at all. I think Latendresse is pretty awesome if he can stay healthy. If Parise and Suter are gone, here's what I could see happening and wouldn't be sad about:

July 1st:
Bryan Allen 2yr/$2.5M
Matt Carle 2yrs/$3.5M
Mikael Samuelsson 1yr/$1.5

Do we really want Mikael Samuelsson? I'm not overly excited about that...He would be very low on my list. Pens also need to bring in some grit for the 3/4th lines (Prust/Tootoo/Winchester/Moen all come to mine)...
Penguins trade defenseman Paul Martin to the Minnesota Wild for Cal Clutterbuck and their 2nd round pick in the 2010 NHL Draft.

If that's what our wrap up looked like, I'd be totally fine. Anyone who gets mad at Shero for not signing Parise or Suter is pretty nuts. You can't get mad at a GM because a player preferred to go elsewhere.
KG
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Pens15 on Sun Jun 24, 2012 6:50 pm

If we whiff on Suter, I'd just as soon go with the youngsters on D, rather then overpay for the next tier of defense.

I mean, if you could actually get Allen or Carle to sign a 2-year stop-gap deal then more power to you, but I don't think you will.
Pens15
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby SolidSnake on Sun Jun 24, 2012 6:51 pm

bhaw wrote:

Luckily the Pens can tell Bettman to do whatever they want. Both players will be wearing #9. And only 1/2 of Parise's contract will count towards the cap.

:lol: :thumb:
SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby neophool on Sun Jun 24, 2012 7:29 pm

all of them, and lidstrom comes out of retirement for the opportunity to play with Lovejoy
neophool
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby PhantomJB93 on Sun Jun 24, 2012 8:18 pm

mikey287 wrote:

Dupuis wore 11 in Minnesota. The plot thickens.
PhantomJB93
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby MRandall25 on Sun Jun 24, 2012 9:26 pm

PhantomJB93 wrote:
mikey287 wrote:

Dupuis wore 11 in Minnesota. The plot thickens.

I think he wore something high when he was with the Rangers....
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby bhaw on Sun Jun 24, 2012 10:20 pm

For the guys following all the Tweets and updates...

Is there any reason Semin is getting so much less mention than these other guys? I mean, even if you discount his improvement in defensive play, he's still a 35-40 goal player that you'd think would generate a lot of interest.

Is it assumed he will be on the Caps again? Or is Parise just that much of a bigger story? (or is it being talked about elsewhere but avoided for the most part here b/c Pens fans dislike him?)
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby DontToewsMeBro on Sun Jun 24, 2012 11:36 pm

Actually Semin has come out (shut up) and basically said he's not going to be back in DC, and I know Parise has a completely different set of intangibles, but from a fiscal standpoint Semin might make more sense considering he's very talented but lacks that extra something that separates him from being a franchise player. I think he would put up more goals with Sid, especially considering its a running joke on HF that Devils fans say they have never (seriously) seen Parise score a goal from beyond the hash marks.
DontToewsMeBro
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Nizzy on Sun Jun 24, 2012 11:42 pm

What are the chances of Setoguchi? Is there some issues with him not liking/fitting into Minnesota that well? Why are there rumors of him being shipped out? How is Minnesota's prospects looking?

We have to be great trading partners with organizations that are thin at defensive prospects. Maatta deal and Kennedy for Seto? :D
Nizzy
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby mikey287 on Mon Jun 25, 2012 12:27 am

I'll just try to hit'em in order here real quick

- Dupuis wore 61 in his few games (6?) as a Ranger, IIRC

- Alexander Semin doesn't get as much attention because he's not as highly sought after. It's reputation. Not many teams feel that Alex Semin was the missing piece of a championship team. Not many feel that he will put them over the top. Zach Parise and Ryan Suter can potentially put teams over the top, Alex Semin hasn't gained such a reputation. Technically speaking, he's the most talented player in the league and has the best wristshot. He has shown lots of things in his career, he's capable of a lot. It's just when and if and where...Nikolai Zherdev wasn't often pursued at the deadline in his short time in the league either...expensive piece that is nothing more than a plan B it seems for many teams that will hit July 1 in an aggressive manner.

- The chances of Setoguchi aren't bad but the Wild lack scoring. They did not extend a qualifying offer to Nick Johnson or, more importantly, Guillaume Latendresse ($2.6 mil, I think) - they want Lats back, but not at that price. The Gooch has always been a weird player since his days in junior (I think he was a Vancouver Giant? or Saskatoon Blade? It was a few years ago now...), very in and out, very inconsistent even as far as goal-scorers go, not a very hard working player and it's tough to figure out when he's going to come out and play...it's hard to get a rise out of him either, he's difficult to motivate for prolonged stretches...he's one of those guys that will put up good numbers but will play for 5 organizations in his career because he always have value to someone else but also because he always leaves you with a little buyer's remorse because you get left wanting a little more all the time...

- Minnesota's prospect pool has improved dramatically in the last couple years. It was once pathetic (to put in just quick terms from memory, guys like Tangradi, Strait, etc. would feature prominently in their top-5 prospects...bleh). The entire organization, from the NHL down, lacks noteworthy d-men. They've gotten fine contributions from relative no-namers like Jared Spurgeon and Marco Scandella and their transition to a more up-tempo offensive style has seen Brent Burns, Nick Schultz, Greg Zanon and even an offensive guy who didn't work in Marek Zidlicky jettisoned in the last, what, 18 months? And they haven't adequately been replaced. In terms of prospects, they have one real can't miss player in Jonas Brodin who may be forced into action as a 19 year old this year. Behind him Tyler Cuma has a shot (though I think he has issues), and then after that it's fringe NHLers or longshots...they're looking for good transition defenseman...something we have in spades. Whether I'd want to plunder even one of them for Devin Setoguchi is another story...
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby iceolater on Mon Jun 25, 2012 9:53 am

I wouldn't mind seeing Weber paired with Orpik. Would love to see Hartnell and Claudette try to go into the corners or start BS in front of the net. I am sure the Pens didn't forget the praises Claudette got from hitting Crosby in game #6. On Parise, can you imagine how many goals he will bury from Sid's passes or vice versa that Duper continuously fails to get a shot on goal when it hits off his stick.
iceolater
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby lemieuxReturns on Mon Jun 25, 2012 9:58 am

that Duper continuously fails to get a shot on goal when it hits off his stick.

ugh
lemieuxReturns
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby sil on Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:04 am

iceolater wrote:I am sure the Pens didn't forget the praises Claudette got from hitting Crosby in game #6.

What does that have to do with it? That was a beautiful hit by Giroux, and I'm sure Sid would agree with me.
sil
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby sil on Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:05 am

Nizzy wrote:What are the chances of Setoguchi? Is there some issues with him not liking/fitting into Minnesota that well? Why are there rumors of him being shipped out? How is Minnesota's prospects looking?

We have to be great trading partners with organizations that are thin at defensive prospects. Maatta deal and Kennedy for Seto? :D

Why so eager to move out Maatta? Personally, I'd rather deal away Despres and/or Pouliot before Maatta.
sil
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Pens15 on Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:05 am

Can we stop crapping on Duper? All he did was score 25+34 last year without playing with Sid or Geno. Only 10 fewer points than Parise. He's been making strides the last few years and is an above average offensive player now.
Pens15
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby sil on Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:08 am

Setoguchi could end up being a consolation prize if Shero wants Parise, but Zach signs elsewhere. I recall rumors of Shero in talks with SJ about Goose for Setoguchi back in February of 2011? Nice to know he was patient and got Neal, but it seems Shero has some interest in Devin...unless I heard wrong.
sil
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby tfrizz on Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:11 am

sil wrote:Setoguchi could end up being a consolation prize if Shero wants Parise, but Zach signs elsewhere. I recall rumors of Shero in talks with SJ about Goose for Setoguchi back in February of 2011? Nice to know he was patient and got Neal, but it seems Shero has some interest in Devin...unless I heard wrong.

The price on Setoguchi should be fairly low, too. Never really followed up his "breakout" 65 point season, but the potential is definitely there - especially if he's on a line with Neal/Kunitz and Crosby/Malkin.
tfrizz
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Nizzy on Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:23 am

sil wrote:
Nizzy wrote:What are the chances of Setoguchi? Is there some issues with him not liking/fitting into Minnesota that well? Why are there rumors of him being shipped out? How is Minnesota's prospects looking?

Why so eager to move out Maatta? Personally, I'd rather deal away Despres and/or Pouliot before Maatta.

You would rather deal the 6'4" Defenseman French Canadian's are born winners in the NHL over a Fin? I'm happy we have Maatta however he screamed "BPA pick for trade value later" Esposito 2.0 style. Too many defenseman.
Nizzy
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Malkamaniac on Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:25 am

Maata was rated higher than the guy they drafted at the 8th overall pick. I would have much rather of had Forsberg than that guy so early.
Malkamaniac
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins