The Ray Shero Drafting Method

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: The Ray Shero Drafting Method

Postby steelhammer on Sat Jun 23, 2012 9:23 am

Kovy27 wrote:
steelhammer wrote:
bhaw wrote:
steelhammer wrote:
bhaw wrote:Again, how do you take any joy in this team? All you do is complain about everyone and everything this team is about... what a miserable existence.

And all you do is follow me around on me and quote my posts. What does that say about you?

Last time I quoted you was how long ago? All you can do is relive the past (distant past). What does that say about you where I am the highlight of your year.

I don't know and don't care. Goodnight.

Obviously you care enough to keep crying about wingers. If the Pens go out and get Parise on July 1, will your tears become cheers?

No, I don't think overspending in Free Agency is the answer. I prefer drafting and developing quality forwards like normal teams do. If they have to go FA, I would want a short-term option that we can walk away from in a year or two if necessary. Parise will want a very long and expensive contract and we are not in the position to be dealing those out with Sid and Malkin, among other things. Parise is older and it is highly likely that his best days are already behind him. We'll be in a bidding war with several teams chasing after a 94 point season that was 3 years and 1 reconstructed knee ago.

Kovy27 wrote:If we win the Stanley Cup next season with Despres in the line-up, will you come back here and tell us, "I told you so! Shero is a genius!

Not sure what this has to do with anything. Check my post history though and you will see that I was one of the very few people on here who were very happy that we drafted Despres. Go ahead and check it.

Kovy27 wrote:Lets be perfectly and brutally honest. Two of my favorite players on the team were traded yesterday and I think BOTH trades were great. Jordan was not planning on signing here, or if he was, he wanted way too much for a 3rd line center. Shero absolutely got the best deal he could. Sutter is a Staal-like player without the wingspan. Jordan had some great moments here, he will always be remembered in Pens history for one, if not the biggest goal in the Cup run in 09. However, it is time for him to have a bigger role and with Crosby/Malkin here, that's not going to happen. Michalek was dumped because of salary and his very below par play last year. Also, it frees up a spot for Despres and gives the Pens the ability to make a huge pitch for Parise and/or Suter on July 1.

I'm perfectly happy with the trade other than the player they chose at #8. Most people seem to write off his draft picks as choosing the BPA, but you can't even use that excuse here because no one outside of Shero and his scouts (do they actually scout teams other than the ones with their own prospects?) had Pouliot ranked that high. Total ignorance to organizational needs and even BPA.

I don't want the Pens to sign either of those FA players as they will be very expensive and they will be very long contracts. With both of those being the case, it will severely limit the Pens when it comes time to re-sign Malkin and Letang. We have the inside track on signing them to slightly discounted contracts unlike the soon-to-be FA players that will command very high salaries and who are unlikely to live up to those contracts. If you want to sum up my position in one sentence, I'm very very disappointed with our lack of depth at forward in the organization. CPZ is actually our highest rated center on HF (not a typo) and Eric Tangradi is our highest rated left wing (puke). If drafting defensemen-only is the answer, why can't Nashville turn those d-men in to forwards?
steelhammer
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Gaucho on Sat Jun 23, 2012 9:50 am

I'm sorry, but I'm not going to lose any sleep over our lack of center prospects anytime soon. Maybe in 2020 I will, but not for the forseeable future. And by now people should know better than to call a pick terrible right after it was made. Pouliot may turn out to be a bust, but for now I'm going to trust our staff and figure they'll have good reason to draft him that high, even though CSB or whoever disagrees.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby columbia on Sat Jun 23, 2012 11:26 am

Gaucho wrote:I'm sorry, but I'm not going to lose any sleep over our lack of center prospects anytime soon. Maybe in 2020 I will, but not for the forseeable future. And by now people should know better than to call a pick terrible right after it was made. Pouliot may turn out to be a bust, but for now I'm going to trust our staff and figure they'll have good reason to draft him that high, even though CSB or whoever disagrees.

You probably don't make instant rice, which is always a good call.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Location: If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu.

Postby icecats30 on Sat Jun 23, 2012 11:40 am

defensive prospects in hockey are like pitchers in baseball....they are considered money in the bank. Every team is always looking for defensive help so having the most assets makes sense long term.
icecats30
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Trip McNeely on Sat Jun 23, 2012 11:45 am

Gaucho wrote:I'm sorry, but I'm not going to lose any sleep over our lack of center prospects anytime soon. Maybe in 2020 I will, but not for the forseeable future. And by now people should know better than to call a pick terrible right after it was made. Pouliot may turn out to be a bust, but for now I'm going to trust our staff and figure they'll have good reason to draft him that high, even though CSB or whoever disagrees.

The hate for Pouliot is eerily similar to the hate for the Pen's last #1 pick, Joe Morrow, until of course we saw him play in camp, and after his impressive junior year. Now, some people are hoping for him to be in the top six next year
Trip McNeely
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby columbia on Sat Jun 23, 2012 11:49 am

Trip McNeely wrote:

The hate for Pouliot is eerily similar to the hate for the Pen's last #1 pick, Joe Morrow, until of course we saw him play in camp, and after his impressive junior year. Now, some people are hoping for him to be in the top six next year

There was some of that with Despres too.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Location: If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu.

Postby drtofu66 on Sat Jun 23, 2012 1:29 pm

steelhammer wrote:If you want to sum up my position in one sentence, I'm very very disappointed with our lack of depth at forward in the organization. CPZ is actually our highest rated center on HF (not a typo) and Eric Tangradi is our highest rated left wing (puke). If drafting defensemen-only is the answer, why can't Nashville turn those d-men in to forwards?

I'm not sure how Hockeysfuture ranks players but I'm pretty sure just because CPZ is #1 under "Centers" doesn't reflect his actual position on the organizational prospect depth chart. Under "Goalies" Patrick Killeen is listed at #1 and Theissen is listed at #2 which obviously isn't correct. CPZ should just be taken off the charts entirely; I thought he was already regarded as a bust and the Pens had relinquished his rights (HF also rates his "probability of success" as an F. By that logic, any non-F guys should leapfrog CPZ but that's not the case on the list).
drtofu66
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Gaucho on Sat Jun 23, 2012 1:39 pm

columbia wrote:

You probably don't make instant rice, which is always a good call.

I don't. :fist:
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby pcm on Sat Jun 23, 2012 1:49 pm

It's a good philosophy, but I think shero's going a little overboard with it. Already, the pipelines clogged on defense. While our potential forward callups are giys like o'reilly and williams. A slightly more balanced pipeline would be nice, so that we keep developing not just assets, but players.
pcm
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Froggy on Sat Jun 23, 2012 1:56 pm

pcm wrote:It's a good philosophy, but I think shero's going a little overboard with it. Already, the pipelines clogged on defense. While our potential forward callups are giys like o'reilly and williams. A slightly more balanced pipeline would be nice, so that we keep developing not just assets, but players.

our top end offense is pretty much set. bottom end guys are neither irreplaceable or particularly coveted. would you rather use a 1st rounder on a fw just so he can play on the 4th line as a call up instead of o'rielly or williams?

unless you have a HIGH draft pick, offensive players are a gamble, for the most part. it is a better use of the pick to draft based on value than position. so draft d-men. if they work their way up to the big club, awesome... if they get moved for quality pieces in the future, also awesome.
Froggy
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Previous

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins