UFAs besides the top dogs?

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

UFAs besides the top dogs?

Postby marek on Sat Jun 23, 2012 1:42 am

Okay so we've got cap space now... Even if we do somehow land one or both of Parise or Suter...
We've got other holes to fill... Or Needs/upgrades to the checking lines...

Anyone have any thoughts? Who's available that can help on th PK and such?
marek
AHL'er
AHL'er

Re: UFAs besides the top dogs?

Postby jogr4909 on Sat Jun 23, 2012 7:43 am

steve ott for third line. konopka for fourth. Grit and faceoff prowess. get parise's rights today using extra picks and sign the man. 1 more NHL ready D man, draft a goalie to groom and let's go pens !
jogr4909
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby topshelf on Sat Jun 23, 2012 7:49 am

jogr4909 wrote:steve ott for third line. konopka for fourth. Grit and faceoff prowess. get parise's rights today using extra picks and sign the man. 1 more NHL ready D man, draft a goalie to groom and let's go pens !

Would Konopka put his Lemieux poster back up?
topshelf
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby jogr4909 on Sat Jun 23, 2012 7:56 am

He would probably hump the Mario statue outside Consol to play with Pens.
jogr4909
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby columbia on Sat Jun 23, 2012 7:57 am

I'd be happy to see Konopka as a Pen.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Location: If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu.

Postby RJW76 on Sat Jun 23, 2012 8:47 am

columbia wrote:I'd be happy to see Konopka as a Pen.

My first thought is gross but I would probably change my mind if he was actually here. Always thought he was a gigantic Poopasaurus head.
RJW76
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby ffemtreed on Sat Jun 23, 2012 9:00 am

i do NOT want Konopka! He is a loose cannon like Carcillo but worse. He tends to take stupid penalties at the wrong time as well.
ffemtreed
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby NJ5934 on Sat Jun 23, 2012 9:05 am

jogr4909 wrote:steve ott for third line. konopka for fourth. Grit and faceoff prowess. get parise's rights today using extra picks and sign the man. 1 more NHL ready D man, draft a goalie to groom and let's go pens !

Unless TK or Cooke are moved I don't see how ott fits even though I would love to have him on the pens too. I would like anyone of Ott, Tootoo even Jansson to fill the 13th forward/enforcer role. There are tons of options, we just have to see how things play out today.
NJ5934
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Pavel Bure on Sat Jun 23, 2012 9:16 am

Cory Sarich
Pavel Bure
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby crush_lives_723 on Sat Jun 23, 2012 9:18 am

Paul gaustad!
crush_lives_723
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby columbia on Sat Jun 23, 2012 9:20 am

I just looked over the UFA list again and a lot players are to going to be overpaid this year.
Please, Ray...don't do that.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Location: If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu.

Postby lemieuxReturns on Sat Jun 23, 2012 9:23 am

PA Parenteau of the NYI. He would look great alongside our new third line center.
lemieuxReturns
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby ffemtreed on Sat Jun 23, 2012 9:25 am

TK and sutter on a third line will not work well. Neither of them at a big banger that wins the corner battles that are needed. TK is horrendous on the forecheck and he has lost some of his footspeed from a couple years ago. He isn't quite good enough offensively to play the top 6 in Pitt, doesn't fit in with our current third line and make too much to be on the 4th. TK needs to go to a young team who needs a 2nd line winger that has a good center. I wouldn't be opposed to moving cooke as well this summer and completly rebuilding our third line. We got Sutter already who wins the faceoffs and does a lot of the little things right and plays the center role very good. Now we need two bangers to dump pucks in chase them down and destroy the other teams D in the corners without taking stupid penalties. They also need to be good on the PK as well.

Nothing against TK, but he just doesn't have a good fit on this team, kinda like talbot 2 years ago.

Now get our 4th line to a point where they can cycle down low and eat some clock and not be a liability out there and we should be good to go. Asham should be there on the wing, he is a perfect fit. Vitale has proven to me he is capable centering the 4th line, he just needs to win the key faceoffs, not sure what his % was last year but it seemed to me he lost the key draws. So that leaves a 4th line wing open. Adams was great a couple years ago but Vitale has replaced him and he doesn't deserve to be sitting in the box, again a young team looking for leadership should be all over CFA for a 7th.

So we have

Hole Malkin Neal
Kunitz Crosby Dupius
Cooke Sutter Hole
Asham Vitale Hole

Letang Orpik
Martin Hole
Niskanan Despres

I am suggesting Ryan(1st line), Sutter( D pairing), Tootoo (4th line) and I am trying to think of someone good to fill that 3rd line spot.
ffemtreed
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby lemieuxReturns on Sat Jun 23, 2012 9:36 am

ffemtreed wrote:TK and sutter on a third line will not work well. Neither of them at a big banger that wins the corner battles that are needed. TK is horrendous on the forecheck and he has lost some of his footspeed from a couple years ago. He isn't quite good enough offensively to play the top 6 in Pitt, doesn't fit in with our current third line and make too much to be on the 4th. TK needs to go to a young team who needs a 2nd line winger that has a good center. I wouldn't be opposed to moving cooke as well this summer and completly rebuilding our third line. We got Sutter already who wins the faceoffs and does a lot of the little things right and plays the center role very good. Now we need two bangers to dump pucks in chase them down and destroy the other teams D in the corners without taking stupid penalties. They also need to be good on the PK as well.

Nothing against TK, but he just doesn't have a good fit on this team, kinda like talbot 2 years ago.

Now get our 4th line to a point where they can cycle down low and eat some clock and not be a liability out there and we should be good to go. Asham should be there on the wing, he is a perfect fit. Vitale has proven to me he is capable centering the 4th line, he just needs to win the key faceoffs, not sure what his % was last year but it seemed to me he lost the key draws. So that leaves a 4th line wing open. Adams was great a couple years ago but Vitale has replaced him and he doesn't deserve to be sitting in the box, again a young team looking for leadership should be all over CFA for a 7th.

So we have

Hole Malkin Neal
Kunitz Crosby Dupius
Cooke Sutter Hole
Asham Vitale Hole

Letang Orpik
Martin Hole
Niskanan Despres

I am suggesting Ryan(1st line), Sutter( D pairing), Tootoo (4th line) and I am trying to think of someone good to fill that 3rd line spot.

to get bobby ryan, you are going to have to give up some real assets.
Also, no need to get rid of Cooke. He played well last year, and contributed offensively as well. I think this year he will bring back some of the physical play a little bit also. He started to do that towards the end of the year.

Tootoo will drive fans crazy with the bone-headed penalties. We really can not have any more players that are prone to taking a penalty at the worst time. With Orpik and Kunitz now joining that party, we would constantly be on the PK.
lemieuxReturns
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby ffemtreed on Sat Jun 23, 2012 10:39 am

lemieuxReturns wrote:
to get bobby ryan, you are going to have to give up some real assets.
Also, no need to get rid of Cooke. He played well last year, and contributed offensively as well. I think this year he will bring back some of the physical play a little bit also. He started to do that towards the end of the year.

Tootoo will drive fans crazy with the bone-headed penalties. We really can not have any more players that are prone to taking a penalty at the worst time. With Orpik and Kunitz now joining that party, we would constantly be on the PK.

I agree for the most part, I am not sure what Anaheim would want for Ryan as i am not sure there motivation for moving him other than he wants out. Would they be happy with one of our bluechip d prospects, do they want a proven D in Martin or Orpik? Are they stock piling draft picks for the next year or two? Obviously if we can't land Ryan then maybe we can pick up Parise as the consolation prize!

I can either keep or leave cooke, it really doesn't matter to me. We can include him in a trade or let him give it another whirl on the 3rd line next year. Last year he wasn't really effective but not really detrimental either. But if say, the ducks are interested in him as part of the Ryan trade, so be it.

As for Tootoo, he does take bad penalties but usually not at the wrong times, he a good grinder who loves winning those corner battles and cycles the puck down low with the best of them, which is why I want him over someone like Konopka who is a one trick pony who also takes bad penalties.

Hmm.... how about Martin to NJ for the rights to Parise and maybe that 4th line player we need.
ffemtreed
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Fire0nice228 on Sat Jun 23, 2012 11:57 am

Matt Carle for the right price
Fire0nice228
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby canaan on Sat Jun 23, 2012 11:59 am

Fire0nice228 wrote:Matt Carle for the right price

Matt Carle is gonna get overpaid and it hopefully wont be by the penguins. the dude can be a liability.
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby mikey287 on Sat Jun 23, 2012 12:04 pm

- P.A. Parenteau - Quad-A player. Third line center? He's one of the league's weakest players, not a good skater, a zero defensively and can't play center.

- Matt Carle - A defense-less defenseman that makes hilarious decisions on the ice. Exactly the type of d-man that we don't need.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby penny lane on Sat Jun 23, 2012 12:06 pm

bradon prust, yes a jerk to play against, just tweeted that like he knew the nyr would not be offering him a contract. ?
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby mikey287 on Sat Jun 23, 2012 12:09 pm

Now we're thinking penny! Not bad defensively, energy guy that just loves to play, maybe the best pound for pound fighter in the league if he needs to throw down, physical. He'd be a good fit for us certainly, the line of suitors for him would be long if the Rangers should choose not to retain him.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby bhaw on Sat Jun 23, 2012 12:11 pm

Brandon Prust ‏@BrandonPrust8
I wish management wanted me back as much as the fans.. Thanks for the love everyone

Yeah, I'd say he's pretty sure he's not coming back...
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby mikey287 on Sat Jun 23, 2012 12:12 pm

bhaw wrote:
Brandon Prust ‏@BrandonPrust8
I wish management wanted me back as much as the fans.. Thanks for the love everyone

Yeah, I'd say he's pretty sure he's not coming back...

Switched agents, wants to be paid. Like Kennedy money.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby seabiscuit on Sat Jun 23, 2012 12:14 pm

Hal Gill
seabiscuit
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Pavement on Sat Jun 23, 2012 12:17 pm

I like Prust, always appreciated his enthusiasm and energy. Would be quite happy to see him in a Pens uniform. :thumb:
Pavement
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby canaan on Sat Jun 23, 2012 12:20 pm

T. Moen
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Next

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins