Shero reportedly trying to aquire Suter's rights

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Shero reportedly trying to aquire Suter's rights

Postby Pens15 on Sat Jun 23, 2012 6:10 pm

Rylan wrote:More or less that the player is a top 2 defenseman.

So in other words it's kind of a pointless description...it's basically the same as saying "they're good."
Pens15
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Rylan on Sat Jun 23, 2012 6:13 pm

If you find descriptions pointless. Suter can play any facet of the game, be it powerplay, PK, or even strength his minutes will not fluctuate based on game situations. He will play 25-30 minutes a game every game barring injury.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby mikey287 on Sat Jun 23, 2012 6:15 pm

Pens15 wrote:
mikey287 wrote:
Pens15 wrote:I don't understand why people cite "ability to log a ton of minutes" as if it's a skill in and of itself. They're supposed to be well conditioned athletes, they should all be able to do that if asked.

If you want to say "good enough that you feel comfortable throwing them out there for huge minutes" that's fine. But then it becomes something that kind of goes without saying.

Phrase is not directly stamina related, per se. Is a valued skill among people around the game. "Minute munchers" are rarer than you think.

But what does it even mean though? What are you actually describing if not stamina?

I'm not sure I want to write any novels right now, I've done a lot of typing the last few days haha. I'll just say this, as a coach myself, there are certain guys that can go out there and nothing will happen. And for me, it's a terrific feeling. I used to coach a team where I went a little unorthodox - just a bit (I normally do) and stuck my two best offensive D on the same pairing and my two best thinkers defensively on the same pairing. When my top guys were out there, there was transition this way, that way, chances, up and down, we scored, they'd score, the whole deal. When my two thinkers went out there, the game slowed down. Everyone on the bench knew it too. It's time to breathe. Rarely a great chance for or against. Just try to gain a territorial advantage. People think that "field position" only exists in football, that's not true in my mind. I had an assistant keep stats for me as I barked them out...they were on the ice for six even strength goals against in the entire season. No greater feeling as a coach to know that **** is not going to hit the fan for the next couple minutes. Could be just me though...
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Pens15 on Sat Jun 23, 2012 6:15 pm

I often see people say that an attribute of Martin is that he can "eat minutes." But is that really an attribute in itself?

In theory, anybody could "eat minutes" if you threw them out there. They would F up a lot, but they could "eat minutes."

That's what I'm getting at. It's not a unique trait, but just a derivative of being a good player.
Pens15
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby mikey287 on Sat Jun 23, 2012 6:17 pm

Pens15 wrote:They would F up a lot, but they could "eat minutes."

Contradiction. Incorrect.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Pens15 on Sat Jun 23, 2012 6:18 pm

mikey287 wrote:
Pens15 wrote:They would F up a lot, but they could "eat minutes."

Contradiction. Incorrect.

How so? By the way, sorry to those who find this inane, but I kind of want to get this cleared up in my mind.
Pens15
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby mikey287 on Sat Jun 23, 2012 6:19 pm

Read above.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Pens15 on Sat Jun 23, 2012 6:21 pm

So you're saying they are guys who limit chances against when they are out there. Or in other words, good players. Seems to support what I said, "minute eating" is not a special skill but just a consequence of being a solid player.
Pens15
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby bhaw on Sat Jun 23, 2012 6:25 pm

Guys who eat minutes can play 2x longer than the rest of the defense over the course of the game and hold the fort down better during that entire time than guys who play 10-12 minutes. They are valuable because a majority of the game is not played during scoring chances (nor do you want it to be). So by having them in 25 minutes per game, you know the other team will generally not get great chances. If you stick guys who don't have that capability you have 25 minutes of heart attack hockey where you need your goalie to bail you out. Picture the Pens / Flyers series EVERY GAME.
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby bhaw on Sat Jun 23, 2012 6:25 pm

Pens15 wrote:So you're saying they are guys who limit chances against when they are out there. Or in other words, good players. Seems to support what I said, "minute eating" is not a special skill but just a consequence of being a solid player.

Considering there are very few guys in the NHL who can do it, it's not just something anyone can accomplish.
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby mikey287 on Sat Jun 23, 2012 6:31 pm

Pens15 wrote:So you're saying they are guys who limit chances against when they are out there. Or in other words, good players. Seems to support what I said, "minute eating" is not a special skill but just a consequence of being a solid player.

Sssssure.....

List of future jobs for Pens15:
NHL head coach

I don't know, maybe I'm nuts. But I feel you're belittling the notion of such players existing.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby brwi on Sat Jun 23, 2012 8:43 pm

Pens15 wrote:I don't understand why people cite "ability to log a ton of minutes" as if it's a skill in and of itself. They're supposed to be well conditioned athletes, they should all be able to do that if asked.

If you want to say "good enough that you feel comfortable throwing them out there for huge minutes" that's fine. But then it becomes something that kind of goes without saying.

If you watched him in the Olympics where they rode him like a rented mule or at times in close Nashville games, you'd know what people are talking about. Suter is the kind of athlete that his 24th minute on the ice looks the same as his very 1st shift of the game.
brwi
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Kraftster on Sat Jun 23, 2012 9:13 pm

mikey287 wrote:
Pavel Bure wrote:
mikey287 wrote:Sign Guillaume Latendresse - $2 million ^

Isn't he still suffering from a massive concussion.

Doing much better.

I watched the half hour or hour long segment where he was on canadian broadcast talking about that gyro thing used by Ted Carrick. He had incredible success with Carrick. Sounds like he is healthy. I'd really be intrigued by Latendresse. Could replace the size lost in the top six when Staal was dealt.
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby burghsportsguys on Sat Jun 23, 2012 9:24 pm

I actually think your point is a fair one. You can, theoretically, throw anyone out there for 25 minutes per night because most of these guys are well-conditioned enough to play those minutes. But, you only want to do it with elite players. And, really, in order to play that many minutes you have to play PP and PK. Hell, there was a season that Ian Moran "ate up" 20 minutes per night and it was awful for the team.

I'd love to see a pairing like Letang/Suter do what Pronger/Macinnis did for those old Blues teams and eat up nearly 30 minutes per night. It takes so much pressure off of the other players.
burghsportsguys
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby SoupOrSam on Sat Jun 23, 2012 9:40 pm

let not forget "minute munchers" are hard to fatigue mentally and don't start screwing up with 20+. that's the difference imo. yes, physically everyone should be able to, mentally, not so much.
SoupOrSam
AHL'er
AHL'er

Location: Wanna fight? Why don't you stick your head up my butt and fight for air.

Postby DesertPenguin on Sat Jun 23, 2012 10:11 pm

Does anyone think martins game would improve if we reduced his minutes a bit? Is playing 25 minutes a night just too much to ask of him in Bylsmas system?
DesertPenguin
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby wondermoose on Sat Jun 23, 2012 11:20 pm

DesertPenguin wrote:Does anyone think martins game would improve if we reduced his minutes a bit? Is playing 25 minutes a night just too much to ask of him in Bylsmas system?

I really don't think fatigue should be an issue for the type of game Martin plays. I always thought they needed to cut Letang back because he plays so physical for being a smaller defenseman, but Martin stays away from that kind of contact.
wondermoose
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Idoit40fans on Sun Jun 24, 2012 10:01 am

DesertPenguin wrote:Does anyone think martins game would improve if we reduced his minutes a bit? Is playing 25 minutes a night just too much to ask of him in Bylsmas system?

The Pens' overall game would certainly improve.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Mr. Colby on Sun Jun 24, 2012 10:12 am

Latendresse is insanely underrated. I didn't even realize he was an impending UFA... if he's healthy I would love to have him. I bet 3 million gets it done
Mr. Colby
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby columbia on Sun Jun 24, 2012 10:33 am

Elliotte Friedman ‏@FriedgeHNIC

One note about Paul Martin. He has limited protection. PIT knows where he can't go and where it can send him...should it choose to do so.

Who knows what the mechanics of the NTC were/are, but it sounds like Shero has vetted the situation.
(So no wasting time having to worry about Martin accepting a specific trade.)
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby bhaw on Sun Jun 24, 2012 11:04 am

They reported somewhere that Michalek, Orpik, and Martin's NTCs were all the same. They call all provide 8(?) teams they don't want to go to. Shero can trade to anyone else.
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby columbia on Sun Jun 24, 2012 11:07 am

Good to know...thanks.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby IntangibleBeer on Sun Jun 24, 2012 11:48 am

Tico Rick wrote:
wondermoose wrote:Pens can't get Suter after getting Sutter while employing Steiggy. It would be just too hard.

Steiggy to Phoenix (e5)

For a bag of practice pucks. :lol: :lol:

Would seriously like to see a big intimidating shutdown defensive presence on a Penguin blue line. I've come to believe that is the key to going deep into the playoffs and winning a cup.

I'll pay for any extra "T's" required. :lol:
IntangibleBeer
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Nizzy on Sun Jun 24, 2012 2:16 pm

Lets just get Yandle. :pop:
Nizzy
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby bhaw on Sun Jun 24, 2012 2:21 pm

Nizzy wrote:Lets just get Yandle. :pop:

I really like Yandle, but I think that would leave us with more glaring holes on D. He would need a solid stay at home guy to cover his butt.

I'd think you have to consider not signing Niskanen if Yandle was in play, but that's just me thinking out loud.
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Previous

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins