P-A Parenteau more likely than Parise

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: P-A Parenteau more likely than Parise

Postby JoseCuervo on Sun Jun 24, 2012 5:56 pm

I kinda want pa to sign with the pens. I don't think it'd make the team better, but I would love to see mikey's reaction
JoseCuervo
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Mosby on Sun Jun 24, 2012 5:56 pm

I think the bigger pipe dream is Suter then Parise. Just like there was wide speculation that Staal wanted to play with his brother and have a bigger role offensively, there is just as much speculation stating that Suter wants to be closer to home and wants to stay in the Western Conference. That makes Detroit and Minny prime candidates as both fill Suter's desires and both have the cap space to do it.

P-A Parenteau is a plan B or C guy. I don't think he's a good candidate for Crosby's line as PA's not an especially great straightline skater. If anything, Sid's needs wingers who can keep up.
PA would help out with the PP.
Mosby
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby pfim on Sun Jun 24, 2012 6:00 pm

I don't think PA would ever sniff the PP.

He's not a forechecker, he's not responsible defensively, and his production doesn't make up for the other two things in order to get into a top 6 role. He'd have no real role on this team, imo.
pfim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby lemieuxReturns on Sun Jun 24, 2012 6:04 pm

If the argument against PA Parenteau is that he only produces because he plays with superstars, then i would counter argue who cares? We have a ton of superstars.
lemieuxReturns
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Streaks House on Sun Jun 24, 2012 6:06 pm

There's a reason why PA toiled in the AHL for the period of time he did.
Streaks House
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby pugilist13 on Sun Jun 24, 2012 6:08 pm

Um....No thanks.
pugilist13
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Streaks House on Sun Jun 24, 2012 6:10 pm

lemieuxReturns wrote:If the argument against PA Parenteau is that he only produces because he plays with superstars, then i would counter argue who cares? We have a ton of superstars.

I don't buy that logic. Just as Malkin and Crosby play a different style of game, so too does Tavares compared to Crosby...Crosby needs wingers with speed, not an anchor like PAP. Just don't see PAP's game being compatible with Crosby's playing style.
Streaks House
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby pfim on Sun Jun 24, 2012 6:11 pm

lemieuxReturns wrote:If the argument against PA Parenteau is that he only produces because he plays with superstars, then i would counter argue who cares? We have a ton of superstars.

I don't think that's really the argument.
pfim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby lemieuxReturns on Sun Jun 24, 2012 6:11 pm

Streaks House wrote:

I don't buy that logic. Just as Malkin and Crosby play a different style of game, so too does Tavares compared to Crosby...Crosby needs wingers with speed, not an anchor like PAP. Just don't see PAP's game being compatible with Crosby's playing style.

??? Crosby and Tavares actually have very very similar playing styles. Have you ever watched Tavares, or are you just making stuff up?
lemieuxReturns
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Streaks House on Sun Jun 24, 2012 6:15 pm

lemieuxReturns wrote:
Streaks House wrote:

??? Crosby and Tavares actually have very very similar playing styles. Have you ever watched Tavares, or are you just making stuff up?

When Crosby was playing his best hockey, who were his wingers? Kunitz and Dupuis. They have the speed required to play with Crosby. PAP is too slow, and if that's not apparent, I question if you are making things up.
Streaks House
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby lemieuxReturns on Sun Jun 24, 2012 6:19 pm

Streaks House wrote:
lemieuxReturns wrote:
Streaks House wrote:

When Crosby was playing his best hockey, who were his wingers? Kunitz and Dupuis. They have the speed required to play with Crosby. PAP is too slow, and if that's not apparent, I question if you are making things up.

Not real sure where you are going with this. My point is PA Parenteau produced with a guy named Tavares. If the argument is that PA only produced because he played with a superstar in Tavares, then i would say we also have superstars.

You made the point that Sid and Malkin do not play the same way as Tavares. I then argued that Sid and Tavares actually have a very similar playing style.

You are now saying PA is slow. I said nothing about PA's speed.
lemieuxReturns
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Gaucho on Sun Jun 24, 2012 6:22 pm

lemieuxReturns wrote:
Parise should be our main goal.

Shouldn't our main goal be to strengthen the D, especially if we trade Martin, as you propose?
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Tico Rick on Sun Jun 24, 2012 6:23 pm

So PA is this generation's Warren Young?
Tico Rick
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Streaks House on Sun Jun 24, 2012 6:26 pm

lemieuxReturns wrote:
Streaks House wrote:
lemieuxReturns wrote:
Streaks House wrote:

Not real sure where you are going with this. My point is PA Parenteau produced with a guy named Tavares. If the argument is that PA only produced because he played with a superstar in Tavares, then i would say we also have superstars.

You made the point that Sid and Malkin do not play the same way as Tavares. I then argued that Sid and Tavares actually have a very similar playing style.

You are now saying PA is slow. I said nothing about PA's speed.

PAP's lack of speed is part of the reason he would not be a good fit with Crosby. On what basis is PAP an upgrade over Kunitz and Dupuis?
Streaks House
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby lemieuxReturns on Sun Jun 24, 2012 7:00 pm

Gaucho wrote:
lemieuxReturns wrote:

Shouldn't our main goal be to strengthen the D, especially if we trade Martin, as you propose?

Yes and No. The pens organization can't keep asking Sid to take a discount, and then give him third liners to make it happen with. Parise is exactly the kind of player that will thrive with Sid. The organization should really do all it can to make sure Parise knows how important he would be to the organization on July 1st.

The penguins can streghten their defense through multiple options this summer. It doesn't have to be Suter. I am not sure we really need another superstar type defensemen to be honest.
lemieuxReturns
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby lemieuxReturns on Sun Jun 24, 2012 7:03 pm

PAP's lack of speed is part of the reason he would not be a good fit with Crosby. On what basis is PAP an upgrade over Kunitz and Dupuis?

Fair enough. Although, i think kunitz will at least start on Malkin's line this season. Dupuis has earned his spot on sid's wing. Hopefully Parise is on the other.
lemieuxReturns
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby FallenHero96 on Sun Jun 24, 2012 7:08 pm

I don't think anyone is a pipe dream. Shero is going after Parise and Suter, it just all depends on what they want to do. Shero knows Suter from Nashville, Shero is the one that drafted him, and we just seen how people like to play on the same team as their friends/family- so maybe that makes a difference to play with Sid for Parise. Not to mention the pens are a good team. Parentau could be a back up plan.

I know the Wild plan to throw a bunch of money at Parise, but who knows what he wants to do.
FallenHero96
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby MRandall25 on Sun Jun 24, 2012 9:21 pm

Parenteau sucks.

The end.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby no name on Sun Jun 24, 2012 10:17 pm

lemieuxReturns wrote:I actually like PA. But not near enough to say we should not get parise and get him instead.

Hopefully the pens do the following IN ORDER:
1. trade Martin before July 1st
2. sign (attempt to sign) parise on July 1st
3. sign (attempt to sign) suter on July 1st
4. announce Sid's new contract.
5. sign PA Parenteau, Niski, Samuelsson (florida)

You would then have:
Letang / Suter
Niski / Orpik
Despres / Engel
Lovejoy, strait, burt

Dupuis / Sid / Parise
Neal / Malkin / Kunitz
Parenteau / Sutter / Samuelsson
Cooke / Adams / Kennedy
Jefferey

MY MAIN FEAR:
Would be that Shero somehow gets too involved in Suter on July 1st, and we somehow miss out on Parise. Suter is a crap shoot. We could be the highest bidder and still only have a 10% chance he signs with us... especially in light of all the rumors we are hearing about him only wanting to sign out west. Shero has made the mistake before where he thinks he has an inside track on a former predator only to find out he really had nothing at all. Hamhuis.

Lastly, if Shero did as was suggested above and got PA Parenteau instead of Parise, i would not be surprised if the so called discount Sid was open to giving the penguins suddently dissapeared.

Humm can i have some cap number on this line up.... yeah it will hit you then.

You better turn that 4th line into league minimum talent, salary wise.
no name
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby PhantomJB93 on Sun Jun 24, 2012 10:32 pm

I'm okay with Parenteau I guess but only if we get Suter. We miss out on Suter, it's Parise or bust.
PhantomJB93
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Previous

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins