Detroit Red Wings...

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Detroit Red Wings...

Postby IanMoran on Mon Jun 25, 2012 9:57 am

Anyone else kind of worried about them as our main competition on July 1 for Suter / Parise?

We think we cleared out a lot of cap, but a quick look at CapGeek and one will notice Detroit has 24+ million to spend

Couldn't they theoretically offer more to both Suter / Parise?

Compared to most teams I think Pens can make a legit sales pitch of how much of a better situation Pittsburgh is, but they can't really do that against Detroit
IanMoran
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Re: Detroit Red Wings...

Postby sil on Mon Jun 25, 2012 9:58 am

Detroit doesn't usually overspend for players. If they end up with Suter and/or Parise...it'll be because those players chose to play there instead.
sil
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby columbia on Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:01 am

sil wrote:Detroit doesn't usually overspend for players. If they end up with Suter and/or Parise...it'll be because those players chose to play there instead.

Agreed.
Not sure that DET would go out pay massive bucks for players after Zetterberg and Datsyuk were willing sign at a good rate.

Though, $7M might not be out of the question.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Location: If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu.

Postby IanMoran on Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:02 am

sil wrote:Detroit doesn't usually overspend for players. If they end up with Suter and/or Parise...it'll be because those players chose to play there instead.

They also normally pay up to the cap right? In order to do that this year they can offer both those guys some good deals
IanMoran
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby ryman1566 on Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:05 am

If Shero can get Martin moved, the gap of $ shouldn't be much of an issue. I believe Parise wants to either stay in NJ, or come here w/Sid. Suter is a bit more challenging of the two, IMO.
ryman1566

Postby Nizzy on Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:06 am

Get this DRW title thread off Pens Related. Don't we already have a thread about the big name FA's. I dont want to see DRW name everytime I refresh the page. They won't make a FA the highest paid over their current guys.
Nizzy
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby IanMoran on Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:21 am

Nizzy wrote:Get this DRW title thread off Pens Related. Don't we already have a thread about the big name FA's. I dont want to see DRW name everytime I refresh the page. They won't make a FA the highest paid over their current guys.

lol.. someone seems to really hate the Red Wings
IanMoran
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby IanMoran on Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:22 am

ryman1566 wrote:If Shero can get Martin moved, the gap of $ shouldn't be much of an issue. I believe Parise wants to either stay in NJ, or come here w/Sid. Suter is a bit more challenging of the two, IMO.

I kind of agree I guess. If I had to take a complete guess with no logic behind it I'd guess Parise becomes a Pen and Suter a Wing
IanMoran
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Idoit40fans on Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:26 am

I still expect Suter to be a Pred.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby CERV96 on Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:27 am

Shero will hold on to Martin unless we sign both(Parise/Suter) then he can dump Martin. You can be up to 10% over the cap until the day before the first regular season game.
CERV96
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Idoit40fans on Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:32 am

You don't go over the cap when the guy you're planning on moving has a NMC. limited or otherwise.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby ace1 on Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:32 am

Too bad Lidstrom retired because nobody in Detroit was allowed to make more money than him ..... except for Megatron and Prince Fielder. I would think Parise would be a lot more comfortable in Pitt than Detroit. Detroit has a bunch of aging Euros whereas the Pens are a complete 180 from that.
ace1
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby ace1 on Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:34 am

Detroit is in decline .... IMO.
ace1
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby IanMoran on Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:35 am

Idoit40fans wrote:You don't go over the cap when the guy you're planning on moving has a NMC. limited or otherwise.

It depends... If Shero really did get a bunch of calls on people wanting him like apparently he stated on DVE, then sure. Although it wouldn't surprise me if Shero stated this to try to create a market for him lol
IanMoran
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby KG on Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:37 am

Now that Lidstrom is gone, Detroit will spend big time to get Parise/Suter....They will be the Pens major competition I'm sure...
KG
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby columbia on Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:38 am

He's a pro so he should expect to have to deal with it, but I don' envy Martin waiting around for another week to see if he is traded.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Location: If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu.

Postby KG on Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:41 am

columbia wrote:He's a pro so he should expect to have to deal with it, but I don' envy Martin waiting around for another week to see if he is traded.

If you or me were getting paid $5mill per year...I'll happily wait around :D
KG
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Eismann on Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:52 am

Come to DET, it worked for me.

Love,

Marian H.
Eismann
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby sil on Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:53 am

IanMoran wrote:

They also normally pay up to the cap right? In order to do that this year they can offer both those guys some good deals

Only if they need to. It's not about cap with them. They simply will not pay Suter $8M a year, nor will they pay Parise $9M a year.
sil
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby sil on Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:54 am

KG wrote:Now that Lidstrom is gone, Detroit will spend big time to get Parise/Suter....They will be the Pens major competition I'm sure...

The pens will offer both (if they target both) more money...especially if Martin get's dealt. Suter and Parise may very well be inclined to play in DET over PIT though, regardless of the coin.
sil
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Kraftster on Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:56 am

sil wrote:
IanMoran wrote:

Only if they need to. It's not about cap with them. They simply will not pay Suter $8M a year, nor will they pay Parise $9M a year.

Well, I hope the Pens won't either.
Kraftster
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby no name on Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:56 am

columbia wrote:

Agreed.
Not sure that DET would go out pay massive bucks for players after Zetterberg and Datsyuk were willing sign at a good rate.

Though, $7M might not be out of the question.

Remember Detroit routinely extends their contracts over longer year, paying them upfront thusly lowering their cap hits. This is something i am hoping gets fxed in the new CBA. So you know if Detroit makes a pitch at one of thoes guys it will be for a 12 year deal with the last 3 years at 1 milllion a season at the end of the deal.

Zetterberg, Franson and that Russian guy.
no name
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby JS© on Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:57 am

ace1 wrote:Detroit is in decline .... IMO.

Red Wings or the city in general?
JS©
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby IanMoran on Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:58 am

Kraftster wrote:
sil wrote:
IanMoran wrote:

Well, I hope the Pens won't either.

I don't see anyone offering Suter $8 mill... Maybe Parise will get a ridiculous offer, but it'd be from a team that sucked imo which I don't think he'd do
IanMoran
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Idoit40fans on Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:59 am

I'm not really sure why someone would be more inclined to go to Detroit over Pittsburgh. The Pens are younger and more talented. And you wouldn't be living in Detroit.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Next

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins