What should GMRS pay Parise?

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: What should GMRS pay Parise?

Postby Batman15 on Thu Jun 28, 2012 12:28 pm

sil wrote:
tfrizz wrote:Now that the Crosby news broke, the follow-up talk on Twitter is that the Pens are expected to be big, legitimate players in the running for both Suter and Parise.

If Sid signs for $9,000,000 per or less...and if Suter and Parise both come here with managable cap hits...Shero would have to be the very early favorite for GM of the Year.

GM of the decade, Millennium .......
Batman15
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby shmenguin on Thu Jun 28, 2012 12:28 pm

columbia wrote:
thehockeyguru wrote:IMO, Suter is the #1 priority and they can't sign both.

Signing Parise is certainly the sexier idea, but I'd take Suter over him.

before the draft, i always said that someone is going to overpay for suter and i'm glad it's not us.

so it's obvious which guy i'd rather have.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby columbia on Thu Jun 28, 2012 12:30 pm

shmenguin wrote:
columbia wrote:
thehockeyguru wrote:IMO, Suter is the #1 priority and they can't sign both.

Signing Parise is certainly the sexier idea, but I'd take Suter over him.

before the draft, i always said that someone is going to overpay for suter and i'm glad it's not us.

so it's obvious which guy i'd rather have.

My guess is that signing Parise is more likely.
Either way, I'm not interested in an overpayment for anyone.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Location: If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu.

Postby Batman15 on Thu Jun 28, 2012 12:31 pm

I may be in the minority, but I agree with Parise over Suter. I dont think Suter will take less to be here, and I think our defense needs more of a stay home presence over another quick puck mover. Id feel more confident with a stay at home presence making martin money and sealing up letang to be our Suter.
Batman15
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby AlexPKeaton on Thu Jun 28, 2012 12:37 pm

Batman15 wrote:
sil wrote:
tfrizz wrote:Now that the Crosby news broke, the follow-up talk on Twitter is that the Pens are expected to be big, legitimate players in the running for both Suter and Parise.

If Sid signs for $9,000,000 per or less...and if Suter and Parise both come here with managable cap hits...Shero would have to be the very early favorite for GM of the Year.

That depends on if his assembled roster and coaching staff actually win more cups.
AlexPKeaton
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby thehockeyguru on Thu Jun 28, 2012 12:37 pm

Batman15 wrote:I may be in the minority, but I agree with Parise over Suter. I dont think Suter will take less to be here, and I think our defense needs more of a stay home presence over another quick puck mover. Id feel more confident with a stay at home presence making martin money and sealing up letang to be our Suter.

Who would you bring in to play on the top pairing for Martin money when Wideman just signed for more than Martin money?

If the plan is to win games 9-8 sign Parise.
thehockeyguru
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Pitt87 on Thu Jun 28, 2012 12:37 pm

Noise wrote:If you're a first time free agent, the difference between 7.5 & 9 million a year is a lot less than the difference between 3.5 & 5 million a year, even though the numbers are the same.

IMO it's those guys you'd like to sign for 3.5 million a year but might be able to get 5 million a year elsewhere that are less likely to take a pay cut to play where they want.

This makes absolutely no sense. There is ONE NHL player with a cap hit at $9 million.

Getting over $7 million in this league puts you in the elite category; Top 20 NHL Players. Getting $9 million puts you in the top 2 cap hits, and not all teams have enough total salary to even get there (based on the 20% rule, that means you need $45 million minimum. Getting $5 million puts you in the top 75, where $3.5 puts you in the top 200.

To put this in perspective, the difference between ~$3.5mil and ~$5.25mil so far this year is Brad Stuart and Dennis Wideman.

The difference between $6.5mil and $8.7mil is Erik Karlsson and Sidney Crosby.
Pitt87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Location: Admin wrote:Rooting for the Flyers is not allowed here. Seriously.

Postby MRandall25 on Thu Jun 28, 2012 12:39 pm

Put a gun to my head and ask me which one I'd rather have (Parise or Suter), and I'll tell you Suter (we need D).

However, if you asked me who I thought was more likely to be signed here, I'd tell you Parise.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby sil on Thu Jun 28, 2012 12:40 pm

AlexPKeaton wrote:
Batman15 wrote:
sil wrote:

That depends on if his assembled roster and coaching staff actually win more cups.

It's been awarded 3 times, and has yet to go to a cup winning GM.
sil
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby meow on Thu Jun 28, 2012 12:44 pm

MRandall25 wrote:Put a gun to my head and ask me which one I'd rather have (Parise or Suter), and I'll tell you Suter (we need D).

However, if you asked me who I thought was more likely to be signed here, I'd tell you Parise.

I support this message
meow
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby tfrizz on Thu Jun 28, 2012 12:46 pm

Batman15 wrote:
sil wrote:

GM of the Millenicade?
tfrizz
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby lemieuxReturns on Thu Jun 28, 2012 12:48 pm

meow wrote:
MRandall25 wrote:Put a gun to my head and ask me which one I'd rather have (Parise or Suter), and I'll tell you Suter (we need D).

I support this message

Parise is a very very special player. I am surprised people are not more excited about the possibility of him being a penguin. To me, he is the top of the top wingers for sid.
lemieuxReturns
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby thehockeyguru on Thu Jun 28, 2012 12:49 pm

meow wrote:

I support this message

If our off-season centers around improving our forwards and not improving our top 4 defensemen I question what management saw in the teams first round loss to the Flyers.

Beyond Suter there isn't a whole lot out there .
thehockeyguru
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby opie22002 on Thu Jun 28, 2012 12:52 pm

Ryan Suter plays in a defensively oriented system and excelled in Nashville. I think he's a great player, but is anybody else worried that we could have the same Paul Martin style problem if he signs here and plays DB's system?

We could probably use a top defenseman more at this stage of the game. But in a few years, that will be far from a need with all the young guys in the system. Parise is the safer bet and addresses the longer term need. And you aren't going to get Suter or Parise for a short term anyhow.
Last edited by opie22002 on Thu Jun 28, 2012 12:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
opie22002
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby shmenguin on Thu Jun 28, 2012 12:54 pm

opie22002 wrote:Ryan Suter plays in a defensively oriented system and excelled in Nashville. I think he's a great player, but is anybody else worried that we could have the same Paul Martin style problem if he signs here and plays DB's system?

i'm not worried to that extent, but i agree with your premise.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby meow on Thu Jun 28, 2012 12:59 pm

shmenguin wrote:
opie22002 wrote:Ryan Suter plays in a defensively oriented system and excelled in Nashville. I think he's a great player, but is anybody else worried that we could have the same Paul Martin style problem if he signs here and plays DB's system?

I agree with this as well, but there is also a similiar argument against Parise. His point total has declined in each of his last three healthy seasons. What if that trend continues? What if it doesn't? :?
meow
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby sil on Thu Jun 28, 2012 1:02 pm

Bryan Allen would help what plagued us against Philly more than Suter would. Suter is clearly the better D-man...but he isn't a shut-down defenseman in the least.
sil
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby shmenguin on Thu Jun 28, 2012 1:05 pm

meow wrote:
shmenguin wrote:

I agree with this as well, but there is also a similiar argument against Parise. His point total has declined in each of his last three healthy seasons. What if that trend continues? What if it doesn't? :?

2 seasons - not 3. but still worth noting. i love parise, but i wasn't terribly impressed by him this year. at least not compared to when he was absolutely on fire a couple years ago.

overall, UFA's give me the creeps, and these 2 are no exception.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby seabiscuit on Thu Jun 28, 2012 1:06 pm

sil wrote:Bryan Allen would help what plagued us against Philly more than Suter would. Suter is clearly the better D-man...but he isn't a shut-down defenseman in the least.

Really hope shero makes an offer to Allen
seabiscuit
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby meow on Thu Jun 28, 2012 1:10 pm

shmenguin wrote:
meow wrote:
shmenguin wrote:

2 seasons - not 3. but still worth noting. i love parise, but i wasn't terribly impressed by him this year. at least not compared to when he was absolutely on fire a couple years ago.

overall, UFA's give me the creeps, and these 2 are no exception.

One thing that is worth paying for is his work ethic and his energy. You know that is going to be constant.
meow
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Idoit40fans on Thu Jun 28, 2012 1:24 pm

There could be concern about Suter playing in the defensively oriented system, but he's also matched up well against top lines of National teams while logging tons of minutes. I'll trust that he can adjust.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Sarcastic on Thu Jun 28, 2012 1:59 pm

no name wrote:
Most likely Parise for to Minn for like $10M per which prices him out of Pens... I just hope Shero doesn't settle for parent toe scraps... gots to be a plan B for Sid wing but only Shero knows... any plan B's that Sid would like?

I think if you can't have Parise, you got to sign Suter so you can trade Martin and hopefully he can get you a Bobby Ryan or Setoguchi. If you can't sign Suter you can't get rid of Martin.

If I may touch on Ryan a little bit. Why didn't Anaheim want Staal? I think they're looking for the #2 center, but wanted a low contract? They're supposedly interested in Schenn from Philly, but why would they decline Staal then? I think a chance of us trading for Ryan mostly went out of the window with Staal gone now, but what is Anaheim looking to do exactly? Are they short on money?
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby MRandall25 on Thu Jun 28, 2012 2:00 pm

Sarcastic wrote:
no name wrote:
Most likely Parise for to Minn for like $10M per which prices him out of Pens... I just hope Shero doesn't settle for parent toe scraps... gots to be a plan B for Sid wing but only Shero knows... any plan B's that Sid would like?

I think if you can't have Parise, you got to sign Suter so you can trade Martin and hopefully he can get you a Bobby Ryan or Setoguchi. If you can't sign Suter you can't get rid of Martin.

If I may touch on Ryan a little bit. Why didn't Anaheim want Staal? I think they're looking for the #2 center, but wanted a low contract? They're supposedly interested in Schenn from Philly, but why would they decline Staal then? I think a chance of us trading for Ryan mostly went out of the window with Staal gone now, but what is Anaheim looking to do exactly? Are they short on money?

Maybe they were never offered Staal/never inquired about Staal?
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby sil on Thu Jun 28, 2012 2:01 pm

Sarcastic wrote:
no name wrote:

Jordan limited his trade options himself. Why would Anaheim give us Ryan (signed for 4 more years) for Staal (1 more year), knowing that Staal really wants to play in CAR?
sil
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby lemieuxReturns on Thu Jun 28, 2012 2:04 pm

shero probably will not offer more than 8.7 for parise. But i can see a 8 million 10 year offer.

Also, i think the news of sid's contract today and the trade of staal to carolina basically cements all doubt that shero has malkin in his long term plans as well.
lemieuxReturns
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins