What should GMRS pay Parise?

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: What should GMRS pay Parise?

Postby PenguinSteve-o on Fri Jun 29, 2012 1:52 pm

The more I think about it, the more I think we should pay Parise almost whatever it takes to get Crosby a winger. If the cap allows and we can sign up everyone else we need I can see/make a case to get Crosby that winger for 8 million, dont think he should make more than 87 or 71 but if we have to get close to that amount then I think we should go for it. Hate to see another season with 87 with average wingers. Our D will be fine, we have alot of bodies that are solid players, young, but our D was pretty good last year. minus the playoffs.
PenguinSteve-o
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby no name on Fri Jun 29, 2012 1:58 pm

Setoguchi should also be discussed if Parise would fall through, I would think Kenndy, Lovejoy and a D prospect might get him. He has up and down production but i think he would work well with Sid.
no name
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Rocco on Fri Jun 29, 2012 2:02 pm

no name wrote:Setoguchi should also be discussed if Parise would fall through, I would think Kenndy, Lovejoy and a D prospect might get him. He has up and down production but i think he would work well with Sid.

The D prospect would have to be Ray Bourque Jr. if that package would be capable of bringing in anyone good.
Rocco
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby mikey287 on Fri Jun 29, 2012 2:05 pm

no name wrote:Setoguchi should also be discussed if Parise would fall through, I would think Kenndy, Lovejoy and a D prospect might get him. He has up and down production but i think he would work well with Sid.

Which D prospect? If the answer is: Bortuzzo or Strait or Sneep...that trade really couldn't help Minnesota any less. They didn't score at all last year, and taking on a third liner and two fringe NHLers for their supposed top line winger or at least top-six winger is not their idea of a good trade. They counter with Clutterbuck, Steven Kampfer and Chay Genoway for Chris Kunitz.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Bioshock on Fri Jun 29, 2012 2:06 pm

PenguinSteve-o wrote:The more I think about it, the more I think we should pay Parise almost whatever it takes to get Crosby a winger. If the cap allows and we can sign up everyone else we need I can see/make a case to get Crosby that winger for 8 million, dont think he should make more than 87 or 71 but if we have to get close to that amount then I think we should go for it. Hate to see another season with 87 with average wingers. Our D will be fine, we have alot of bodies that are solid players, young, but our D was pretty good last year. minus the playoffs.

This is the way I feel. You go all out. You will never have the chance to essentially sign the American equivalent of Crosby again with the cap space you currently have. Crosby left about 5 million annually on the table and you have 15 million in space overall. Shero should go to about 8 million per year and I would easily give Parise an 8 to 10 year contract. He would be Crosby's winger for the rest of his career.

You know what would really suck? If the Pens suddenly have 15 million to spend on third and fourth line quality guys because they didn't pony up the extra million per season for the elite talent.
Bioshock
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby pens_CT on Fri Jun 29, 2012 2:14 pm

Bioshock wrote:
PenguinSteve-o wrote:The more I think about it, the more I think we should pay Parise almost whatever it takes to get Crosby a winger. If the cap allows and we can sign up everyone else we need I can see/make a case to get Crosby that winger for 8 million, dont think he should make more than 87 or 71 but if we have to get close to that amount then I think we should go for it. Hate to see another season with 87 with average wingers. Our D will be fine, we have alot of bodies that are solid players, young, but our D was pretty good last year. minus the playoffs.

This is the way I feel. You go all out. You will never have the chance to essentially sign the American equivalent of Crosby again with the cap space you currently have. Crosby left about 5 million annually on the table and you have 15 million in space overall. Shero should go to about 8 million per year and I would easily give Parise an 8 to 10 year contract. He would be Crosby's winger for the rest of his career.

You know what would really suck? If the Pens suddenly have 15 million to spend on third and fourth line quality guys because they didn't pony up the extra million per season for the elite talent.

Would you pay him more than Sid if another team comes in at 10 mil or so per year? I think 8 mil is Shero's top end, but it would be a shame to be so close and not get Parise.
pens_CT
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Pens15 on Fri Jun 29, 2012 2:19 pm

Now that my hopes are up for Parise, all these Plan B options are just so meh, even though a month ago they would have sounded exciting.
Pens15
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby shmenguin on Fri Jun 29, 2012 2:30 pm

sid put up roughly a million points in half a season with kunitz and dupuis. i'm not really worried about who his sidekick is. parise would really help this team, but he's not worth throwing a crazy amount of money at. neither is suter. i'd rather shero do nothing than seriously overspend on free agents.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby knives of ice on Fri Jun 29, 2012 3:42 pm

I absolutely hate the fact that Parise may be taking meetings to decide where he signs. I just can't see the Pens waiting around for a long time while he makes a decision. Shero and waiting around while others get signed don't seem to mix. No doubt i expect the pens to give him an early deadline to decide or they are out.
knives of ice
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby sil on Fri Jun 29, 2012 3:47 pm

knives of ice wrote:I absolutely hate the fact that Parise may be taking meetings to decide where he signs. I just can't see the Pens waiting around for a long time while he makes a decision. Shero and waiting around while others get signed don't seem to mix. No doubt i expect the pens to give him an early deadline to decide or they are out.

I don't know...Shero waited around on Hossa...and then won the cup the following season. That's a dandy mix if you ask me! :wink:
sil
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Bioshock on Fri Jun 29, 2012 4:25 pm

I would give Parise whatever Shero could give him that doesn't compromise his ability to sign Geno a year from now.
Bioshock
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Hugo Stiglitz on Fri Jun 29, 2012 4:27 pm

Bioshock wrote:I would give Parise whatever Shero could give him that doesn't compromise his ability to sign Geno a year from now.

Common sense...finally
Hugo Stiglitz
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby lemieuxReturns on Fri Jun 29, 2012 4:44 pm

shmenguin wrote:yeah, but suter isn't going to make a significant difference if the guys around him act like they did in the philly series. really, none of what we do in the UFA sweepstakes is going to matter in that sense.

True. What will help is some back checking from our forwards. Parise is excellent at that. Very similar to hossa in that aspect of his game.
lemieuxReturns
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Bioshock on Fri Jun 29, 2012 5:02 pm

Hugo Stiglitz wrote:
Bioshock wrote:I would give Parise whatever Shero could give him that doesn't compromise his ability to sign Geno a year from now.

Common sense...finally

Even if it is one dollar less then what Crosby makes... If Shero can still sign Geno next year, I honestly don't care
Bioshock
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby shmenguin on Fri Jun 29, 2012 5:06 pm

this team isn't in chicago's "win right now at all costs" mode. we're set up for the long haul. i don't know where the line is between "expensive but within reason" and "absurd" as far as parise's contract goes, but we should not be willing to enter into the absurd zone - no matter how bored fans get with their own players and no matter how fun new toys are to play with.

there's a line that still has to be drawn.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Froggy on Fri Jun 29, 2012 5:11 pm

parise should be somewhere between james neal and crosby/malkin... so like 7 mil? somewhere around there?
Froggy
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby columbia on Fri Jun 29, 2012 5:16 pm

Froggy wrote:parise should be somewhere between james neal and crosby/malkin... so like 7 mil? somewhere around there?

Yes

I sure hope that Shero doesn't open the wallet any further.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby FallenHero96 on Fri Jun 29, 2012 5:19 pm

Here is something interesting, blurb from a philly paper:

"State" your case

I realize nobody talks about this when it comes to free-agent destinations, but it can’t be dismissed: state income tax. At a rate of 10.3 percent, California has the highest income tax of any state with a NHL team. Pennsylvania is on the low end at 3.07 percent. The state of Minnesota comes in at 7.85 percent.

So if you’re Parise and you sign (for comparison sake) a $60 million contract, he actually could be saving a couple of million over the life of the deal by electing to reside in the Keystone State as opposed to the Land of 10,000 Lakes.

Not to mention, who would you want as your next center: Sidney Crosby or Mikko Koivu?
FallenHero96
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby skullman80 on Fri Jun 29, 2012 5:23 pm

Koivu isn't Crosby, but he's a damn good player.
skullman80
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Hugo Stiglitz on Fri Jun 29, 2012 5:24 pm

The Penguins have a little over $14M free right now. If he can dump Martin, that's another $5M.

$19M...If he can spend $14M to $15M on both Suter and Parise, that leaves room for Malkin to get a raise, but I have a optimistic notion that Malkin will follow similar suit to Sid and even if he doesn't, I bet he won't take more than $1M more a season. That gives a little cushion in case the CBA messes things up.
Hugo Stiglitz
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby DontToewsMeBro on Fri Jun 29, 2012 5:28 pm

So say they offer $9, a comparable contract here is about $8.5. That's interesting. I can see Ray shouting to Parise as he walks away to MIN, "But Zach, the income tax!!!"
DontToewsMeBro
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby FallenHero96 on Fri Jun 29, 2012 5:39 pm

Hugo Stiglitz wrote:The Penguins have a little over $14M free right now. If he can dump Martin, that's another $5M.

$19M...If he can spend $14M to $15M on both Suter and Parise, that leaves room for Malkin to get a raise, but I have a optimistic notion that Malkin will follow similar suit to Sid and even if he doesn't, I bet he won't take more than $1M more a season. That gives a little cushion in case the CBA messes things up.

That's kind of what I am thinking. If Shero can sign Parise for 8 and Suter for say 7, he does it, then flips Paul Martin to the Wild for whatever. I'd say that's best case scenario.
FallenHero96
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby columbia on Fri Jun 29, 2012 5:52 pm

FallenHero96 wrote:
Hugo Stiglitz wrote:The Penguins have a little over $14M free right now. If he can dump Martin, that's another $5M.

That's kind of what I am thinking. If Shero can sign Parise for 8 and Suter for say 7, he does it, then flips Paul Martin to the Wild for whatever. I'd say that's best case scenario.

What do you do in 13-14?
Kennedy and Dupuis will be up for raises and it's not like they have functional replacements in the system for either.
And Sutter will be up for a raise the following year

You can't run a third line with two 1 million dollar wingers; there has to be some balance in the lineup.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby KG on Fri Jun 29, 2012 5:55 pm

columbia wrote:
FallenHero96 wrote:

What do you do in 13-14?
Kennedy and Dupuis will be up for raises and it's not like they have functional replacements in the system for either.
And Sutter will be up for a raise the following year

You can't run a third line with two 1 million dollar wingers; there has to be some balance in the lineup.

Not to over simplify things....but you don't let Kennedy and Dupuis pending contract get in the way of signing a Parise.

Kennedy could very well be gone this summer anyway...

Make it work.
KG
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby lemieuxReturns on Fri Jun 29, 2012 5:55 pm

FallenHero96 wrote:

Or keep Martin and get a cheaper TK. Not saying I want Martin, but i hate getting rid of the guy when his value is the absolute lowest. I think if he is playing as a second pairing with a guy like Orpik, who knows ... teams may actually give us something for him mid-season or at the trade deadline.
lemieuxReturns
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins