What should GMRS pay Parise?

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: What should GMRS pay Parise?

Postby columbia on Fri Jun 29, 2012 5:56 pm

KG wrote:
Not to over simplify things....but you don't let Kennedy and Dupuis pending contract get in the way of signing a Parise.

Kennedy could very well be gone this summer anyway...

Make it work.

Well, make it in this case is spending $15M on two players; that's what I was responding to.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby FallenHero96 on Fri Jun 29, 2012 5:59 pm

columbia wrote:
FallenHero96 wrote:
Hugo Stiglitz wrote:The Penguins have a little over $14M free right now. If he can dump Martin, that's another $5M.

$19M...If he can spend $14M to $15M on both Suter and Parise, that leaves room for Malkin to get a raise, but I have a optimistic notion that Malkin will follow similar suit to Sid and even if he doesn't, I bet he won't take more than $1M more a season. That gives a little cushion in case the CBA messes things up.

That's kind of what I am thinking. If Shero can sign Parise for 8 and Suter for say 7, he does it, then flips Paul Martin to the Wild for whatever. I'd say that's best case scenario.

What do you do in 13-14?
Kennedy and Dupuis will be up for raises and it's not like they have functional replacements in the system for either.
And Sutter will be up for a raise the following year

You can't run a third line with two 1 million dollar wingers; there has to be some balance in the lineup.

Shero will just have to continue to manage the roster.... and make decisions. It will change again next year. But you know, I am not going to pass on Suter because I have to pay for Kennedy. I try my best to make it work.
FallenHero96
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Froggy on Fri Jun 29, 2012 6:01 pm

i don't see either kennedy or dupuis commanding a back breaking raise, or any raise at all.

as much as i love TK, he signed his current deal coming off a career year. he probably won't be that 25 goal guy again. if he is paid for his peak potential, why would his rate increase? if he signs for the same, AWESOME! if not, let him go.

dupuis was great last year, but he's not exactly a spring chicken. i also don't think you can really count on him to be a 60 pt guy every year, so you shouldn't pay him like one.
Froggy
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby PhantomJB93 on Fri Jun 29, 2012 6:19 pm

Kennedy we can afford to lose, Dupuis...if he has another season next year like he did this past year, we simply might not be able to keep him, Parise or not.
PhantomJB93
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby columbia on Fri Jun 29, 2012 6:37 pm

Meh...I'm just really suspicious about maintaining a balanced team, through spending like a drunken sailor on UFAs.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby shmenguin on Fri Jun 29, 2012 7:13 pm

columbia wrote:Meh...I'm just really suspicious about maintaining a balanced team, through spending like a drunken sailor on UFAs.

During this hypothetical godfather contract we give praise or suter, letang's salary may double, we'd have to re-up neal and sutter, find a Kunitz replacement, re sign maf or sign a replacement and who knows, maybe give morrow or one of these other young guys a big contract.

There are a lot of things that need to be considered before giving one of these guys a 10 year 80 million dollar deal or whatever.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby pens_CT on Fri Jun 29, 2012 7:37 pm

shmenguin wrote:
columbia wrote:Meh...I'm just really suspicious about maintaining a balanced team, through spending like a drunken sailor on UFAs.

During this hypothetical godfather contract we give praise or suter, letang's salary may double, we'd have to re-up neal and sutter, find a Kunitz replacement, re sign maf or sign a replacement and who knows, maybe give morrow or one of these other young guys a big contract.

There are a lot of things that need to be considered before giving one of these guys a 10 year 80 million dollar deal or whatever.

If you get a chance to land a winger for Crosby for the next 8 years or so you go for it. The Pens employ people whose job is to study the cap, so I have confidence that they will not sacrifice the future based on whoever they obtain as a free agent this year.
pens_CT
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby SolidSnake on Fri Jun 29, 2012 7:40 pm

I'm more worried about this coming season, not worried about if and when Morrow gets a big contract.
SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: "Whatcha you be smokin' cuz? you guys aren't nothing but hoopty"

Postby spiritfan on Fri Jun 29, 2012 7:44 pm

FWIW... as I have said before the NJ Devils are in folding mode... seriously... the banks are going all out to get their $50M... only thing that can save them is the NHL... Marty is getting out and so will Zach... feel bad for Kovachuck eh?
spiritfan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby MRandall25 on Fri Jun 29, 2012 7:47 pm

spiritfan wrote:FWIW... as I have said before the NJ Devils are in folding mode... seriously... the banks are going all out to get their $50M... only thing that can save them is the NHL... Marty is getting out and so will Zach... feel bad for Kovachuck eh?

Not really. He chose to sign that ridiculous contract with them.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Bioshock on Fri Jun 29, 2012 8:02 pm

It's amazing that a Franchise that has had as much success as they have could be in trouble like they are. Hell, they just had a whole playoff run worth of revenue and it still hasn't helped. Amazing.
Bioshock
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby mikey287 on Fri Jun 29, 2012 9:00 pm

It's not the team, it's the arena. Their debt is tied to the arena. Very unlikely that anything terrible happens to the team as the league wouldn't have given them a draft if they felt there was a strong chance of moving/folding/etc. I think the Devils will be fine and at this point, I have no reason to believe Brodeur will play anywhere else.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Sam's Drunk Dog on Fri Jun 29, 2012 10:26 pm

FallenHero96 wrote:Here is something interesting, blurb from a philly paper:

"State" your case

I realize nobody talks about this when it comes to free-agent destinations, but it can’t be dismissed: state income tax. At a rate of 10.3 percent, California has the highest income tax of any state with a NHL team. Pennsylvania is on the low end at 3.07 percent. The state of Minnesota comes in at 7.85 percent.

So if you’re Parise and you sign (for comparison sake) a $60 million contract, he actually could be saving a couple of million over the life of the deal by electing to reside in the Keystone State as opposed to the Land of 10,000 Lakes.

Not to mention, who would you want as your next center: Sidney Crosby or Mikko Koivu?

Does Pittsburgh have an income tax for nonresident workers? Philly has one which is a percentage of income earned but you can get reimbursed for any day you work outside of the city.
Sam's Drunk Dog
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Nizzy on Fri Jun 29, 2012 11:35 pm

Does anyone else think that Parise and Crosby are very similar players? Both like playing the same side down low vs the goaltender. I have a bad feeling like if somehow Shero pulls off Parise, he won't work well with Crosby. Or atleast won't get the production out of him that we should.

Might be one of those things were Parise and Malkin are better together and Crosby gets Neal?
Nizzy
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby DontToewsMeBro on Sat Jun 30, 2012 12:26 am

I honestly don't know if Crosby has shown consistent chemistry with any of his linemates since his rookie season.

Bring back Andy Hilbert.
DontToewsMeBro
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Rylan on Sat Jun 30, 2012 12:28 am

Crosby and Dupuis are good compliments. The Kunitz, Crosby, Dupuis line was a lethal unit.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby FallenHero96 on Sat Jun 30, 2012 12:53 am

Nizzy wrote:Does anyone else think that Parise and Crosby are very similar players? Both like playing the same side down low vs the goaltender. I have a bad feeling like if somehow Shero pulls off Parise, he won't work well with Crosby. Or atleast won't get the production out of him that we should.

Might be one of those things were Parise and Malkin are better together and Crosby gets Neal?

Yeah it would be our luck that we sign Parise to a long deal, and first game him and Sid have no chemistry at all. :cry:

That case, yeah I would swap him with Neal and see how it went.
FallenHero96
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Bioshock on Sat Jun 30, 2012 1:14 am

Nizzy wrote:Does anyone else think that Parise and Crosby are very similar players? Both like playing the same side down low vs the goaltender. I have a bad feeling like if somehow Shero pulls off Parise, he won't work well with Crosby. Or atleast won't get the production out of him that we should.

No, Parise is essentially the American version of Crosby with less talent. They both play the same way and both can skate all day. Players who can skate and forecheck (Dupuis / Kunitz) mesh well with Sid. Parise is the best version of this.

If there is anyone in the league who would have chemistry with Crosby, it would be Parise.
Bioshock
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby npv708 on Sat Jun 30, 2012 1:25 am

Chemistry doesn't score goals...
npv708
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Member on Sat Jun 30, 2012 1:32 am

npv708 wrote:Chemistry doesn't score goals...

Marian Hossa Zach Parise scores goals. Sorry Colby
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby farnham16 on Sat Jun 30, 2012 9:22 am

I think Parise will make his choice fairly quickly and I think we are the favorites. The pieces just seem to be falling in place.
farnham16
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby spiritfan on Sat Jun 30, 2012 9:40 am

Colby?... Cooke Sutter Armstrong... hmmm
spiritfan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby mikey287 on Sat Jun 30, 2012 9:49 am

spiritfan wrote:Colby?... Cooke Sutter Armstrong... hmmm

Kennedy would be an upgrade on that line, Army doesn't help us...
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Sat Jun 30, 2012 9:52 am

Bioshock wrote:

No, Parise is essentially the American version of Crosby with less talent. They both play the same way and both can skate all day. Players who can skate and forecheck (Dupuis / Kunitz) mesh well with Sid. Parise is the best version of this.

If there is anyone in the league who would have chemistry with Crosby, it would be Parise.

Yeah, high talent level players that like to cycle in the corner aren't the kind whose playing styles are going to clash. Its the kind of playing style that thrives with similar style players.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby jogr4909 on Sat Jun 30, 2012 12:36 pm

farnham16 wrote:I think Parise will make his choice fairly quickly and I think we are the favorites. The pieces just seem to be falling in place.

I agree. Parise decision should steal the show tomorrow on free Agent Frenzy day. It would be a surprise at this point if Pens do not sign Parise.
jogr4909
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins