What should GMRS pay Parise?

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: What should GMRS pay Parise?

Postby mikey287 on Tue Jun 26, 2012 9:29 pm

Bioshock wrote:Highest Salary for a defenseman is Tyler Myers at 12 million. LOL

Well, that's a bit of a misnomer. A figure like that, out front before a CBA expiration is called "lockout protection" Myers resumes a "normal" contract from this point forward. In fact, he's only due $3 million in his prime at age 29. Which is also..."LOL"...worthy, I suppose.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby dhep16 on Tue Jun 26, 2012 9:31 pm

It's really hard to get a read on what Parise wants for a contract, or better yet what Shero would be willing to give him. If he says anything, the NHL could consider it tampering. Lamoriello will never say anything either. It's hard to say what either Parise or Suter would want in the end. I guess July 1st or later we will figure out.
dhep16

Postby Bioshock on Tue Jun 26, 2012 9:37 pm

That contract is just goofy.
Bioshock
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Nizzy on Tue Jun 26, 2012 9:43 pm

my fav quote on here this offseason from some random guy

-"just pick up parise for 6m"

JUST PICK HIM UP!!!
Nizzy
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby dhep16 on Tue Jun 26, 2012 9:50 pm

Nizzy wrote:my fav quote on here this offseason from some random guy

-"just pick up parise for 6m"

JUST PICK HIM UP!!!

Come on man, you know it's that easy. :roll:
dhep16

Postby spiritfan on Tue Jun 26, 2012 10:22 pm

So just at looking at how many players GMRS needs via FA or trade... a winger for Sid, 4th liner, and say 2 D but only 1 if Niskanin signs... all this assumes additions w/o any subtractions... aren't a bunch of those D on one way contracts this year?... but most important addition could be that veteran guy which seemed to be severely lacking during the playoffs... any of those types out there?... can't see park asham sully comming back... but it pains me to think that no matter how great the ingredients in the batter are gonna be the baker (hcdb) is gonna screw things up again
spiritfan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Bunkerman535 on Tue Jun 26, 2012 10:38 pm

Position aside dropping $7.5 to 9 on Parise seems possible but crazy. Isn't that really the same issue they had with Staal? Too much of the cap tied up in three guys, hurting the mid to low roster. Would it not make more sense to go after two $5 million guys, one on D one on O? I hope the Pens land him but looks iffy at best. Officially making the chance of Parise being a Penguin at 36%.
Bunkerman535

Postby Staggy on Tue Jun 26, 2012 10:52 pm

36 percent is definitely a great chance.
Staggy
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Bunkerman535 on Tue Jun 26, 2012 10:55 pm

Staggy wrote:36 percent is definitely a great chance.

Hope I'm wrong!
Bunkerman535

Postby spiritfan on Tue Jun 26, 2012 10:55 pm

Most likely Parise for to Minn for like $10M per which prices him out of Pens... I just hope Shero doesn't settle for parent toe scraps... gots to be a plan B for Sid wing but only Shero knows... any plan B's that Sid would like?
spiritfan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Sarcastic on Tue Jun 26, 2012 11:26 pm

Man, I wouldn't want to play in Minnesota. How fun is it playing on sucky team all year, knowing it's not getting any better next year. It's like watching your life pass right before your eyes.
Sarcastic
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Daniel87 on Wed Jun 27, 2012 12:57 am

Sid needs to spend every waking moment with Parise until July 1st. Don't let him out of your sight. Cut off all contact between him and the Devils. Take him on a cruise that doesn't have cell phone reception. Completely wipe all his childhood memories of Minnesota. Heck, make him think he was born in Pittsburgh. Whatever it takes Sid.
Daniel87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby FallenHero96 on Wed Jun 27, 2012 4:08 am

Bioshock wrote:If Parise does sign here, it will be for no more than 8 million. That's the ceiling.

I agree with this. Somewhere between 7 and 8 million and 5-8 years is my guess. Parise is 27 so you are not going to see a 10 year offer from us I wouldn't think. But it's being reported here in MN that "nobody will outbid the wild for parise" so who knows how high they go.
FallenHero96
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby FallenHero96 on Wed Jun 27, 2012 4:15 am

Sarcastic wrote:Man, I wouldn't want to play in Minnesota. How fun is it playing on sucky team all year, knowing it's not getting any better next year. It's like watching your life pass right before your eyes.

Actually they are on the rise, they have a lot of young guys to be excited about. Grandlund is coming this year and he's gonna be a good one. They really need some defensemen though, and I think they take Martin from us if it comes to it, and perhaps more players.
FallenHero96
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Pens4Life on Wed Jun 27, 2012 5:10 am

7.5M per year is maximum he should get as a Penguin.. Offer him 7.5M / 7 seasons contract,if he refuses good luck somewhere else..
Suter also,6.5M-7M maximum..
Pens4Life
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby no name on Wed Jun 27, 2012 6:31 am

Most likely Parise for to Minn for like $10M per which prices him out of Pens... I just hope Shero doesn't settle for parent toe scraps... gots to be a plan B for Sid wing but only Shero knows... any plan B's that Sid would like?

I think if you can't have Parise, you got to sign Suter so you can trade Martin and hopefully he can get you a Bobby Ryan or Setoguchi. If you can't sign Suter you can't get rid of Martin.
no name
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby sil on Wed Jun 27, 2012 7:47 am

spiritfan wrote:Most likely Parise for to Minn for like $10M per which prices him out of Pens...

That would be incredibly stupid on Minnesota's part...like generationally stupid.
sil
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Steve on Wed Jun 27, 2012 7:51 am

Staggy wrote:36 percent is definitely a great chance.

I think it's closer to 10%, just a guess on my part. I hope this board doesn't implode if Shero adds some really good players, not named Suter or Parise.
Steve
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby meow on Wed Jun 27, 2012 7:59 am

I bet Suter will have a higher cap hit than Parise
meow
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Fire0nice228 on Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:34 am

I guess I must not have watched enough of Parise or something but when I see 8 or 9 million for him I get sick..
Fire0nice228
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby lemieuxReturns on Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:58 am

spiritfan wrote:So Letang may get $7 to $8 in a few years? Yikes !

Orpik and Letang have their contracts up at the same time. If shero signs suter, i would imagine Orpik would not be re-signed...which would free up his money to help re-sign Letang. Also, a lot can happen in the next two years when Letang's contract is up. Guys like morrow and despres can be ready to step up at a much lower cost.
lemieuxReturns
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby lemieuxReturns on Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:59 am

Fire0nice228 wrote:I guess I must not have watched enough of Parise or something but when I see 8 or 9 million for him I get sick..

you defintely have not watched enough of Parise.
lemieuxReturns
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby owtahear on Wed Jun 27, 2012 10:43 am

fleury495 wrote:
http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/opinion ... ughts.html

9. Have always believed Blue Jackets GM Scott Howson's best opportunity to deal Rick Nash will be after Parise's decision. Think some other
teams hoped their first-round picks would really appeal to Columbus, but that wasn't the case. My guess is that Nash and Bobby Ryan, if Anaheim wants to do it, get dealt after Parise signs. If Pittsburgh doesn't get Parise, Nash makes sense -- assuming it has what the Blue Jackets want.

I'd be willing to offer up to 7.8 mil/year to Parise (Rick Nash Money), he cannot and will not make more than Sid. If he wants to chase the dollar good luck in Minnesota or Toronto.

I was thinking around $7.5 to $8 million. That is probably a ceiling for the Pens. I think some teams would offer more, but in the case of say Minnesota or Toronto, if they would offer $9 million/year, is that enough to offset the ability to win and contend for Cups every year.
owtahear
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby sil on Wed Jun 27, 2012 10:45 am

If Parise wants to go over $7,000,000 per year...the pens shouldn't do it. JMO though.
sil
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Pitts on Wed Jun 27, 2012 10:52 am

no name wrote:

I think if you can't have Parise, you got to sign Suter so you can trade Martin and hopefully he can get you a Bobby Ryan or Setoguchi. If you can't sign Suter you can't get rid of Martin.

Shane Doan
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins