(Official) Free Agent and Offseason Discussion Thread

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: (Official) Free Agent and Offseason Discussion Thread

Postby bh on Wed Aug 15, 2012 9:57 am

JoseCuervo wrote:
bh wrote:It would be entirely stupid to trade martin for a center or winger leaving us with little options for our defense.

Pfft, don't you know anything? This team has plenty of options: Despres, Strait, Bortuzzo, Dumoulin, and Morrow. They're all ready to play this year. I think shero should just go all in and have an all-rookie defense.
I think that would be a pretty cool experiment, just to see what happens. Then I would have to create a time machine and go back and warn Shero to not do this when everything to to ****.
bh
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby viva la ben on Wed Aug 15, 2012 10:11 am

Is Doan still playing belle of the ball?
viva la ben
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Hugo Stiglitz on Wed Aug 15, 2012 2:20 pm

Penspal wrote:
Pens4Life wrote:
Penspal wrote:I think I explained why a player in his mid 20's could have a serious dip in production. There are many more possible reasons than those I mentioned as well.

And NO to Kostitsyn. He is soff. He also has a history of late night partying, and questionable ties to Russian "businessmen". The last thing you want to bring into Geno's life atm.

Kostitsyn soft?? :lol: Do you watch NHL? :D He hits like a tank,..

Okay, so he does hit more than I remember. Like a tank? Wow, missed those games.

1. The guy was suspended last year in the playoffs for being a jagoff with Radulov
2. He's got a history of running with a bad crew http://www.totalprosports.com/2009/02/20/the-montreal-canadiens-kostitsyn-brothers-involved-in-an-investigation-surrounding-organized-crime/

There are better options out there than AK27 (he's 27 years old, hence the nicknanme)

There were rumors with plenty of Russian players and organized crime...even some with Kovalev when he was playing for the Rangers. Kostitsyn would be a very solid addition here. As I said earlier, I wouldn't expect extreme point production, but it's what his game brings. I'd honestly rather spend $2.5M - $3M on him for two or three years than $4M to $6M over three to four years on Doan.
Hugo Stiglitz
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Chefpatrick871 on Wed Aug 15, 2012 11:48 pm

Interesting idea on AK. The price is much more reasonable than for an older Doan. If he signs here where do you put him? I'd think 46/71/18 which gives you 14/87/9 back. I like that idea better than 48 on either top line.
Chefpatrick871
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Location: Not saying I'm at your mom's house, not saying I'm not.

Postby Hugo Stiglitz on Thu Aug 16, 2012 12:56 am

Chefpatrick871 wrote:Interesting idea on AK. The price is much more reasonable than for an older Doan. If he signs here where do you put him? I'd think 46/71/18 which gives you 14/87/9 back. I like that idea better than 48 on either top line.

I agree with your lines and where I'd think Bylsma would start things out. Malkin needs his "Dupuis." There are a few players that I think would fit well there, but as far as ones available via FA, I think Kostisyn would be the perfect fit.
Hugo Stiglitz
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Malkamaniac on Thu Aug 16, 2012 6:40 am

I'd like AK on the team purely because Malkin needs someone to play with and AK might be the better option than Doan(cheaper in money and years wise).
Malkamaniac
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby HockeyDaddy on Thu Aug 16, 2012 8:45 am

The team needs defense and veteran leadership...AK brings neither.
HockeyDaddy
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby columbia on Thu Aug 16, 2012 8:57 am

I assume that Tangradi still hasn't signed a contract?
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Faubert5 on Thu Aug 16, 2012 9:58 am

Hugo Stiglitz wrote:
Penspal wrote:
Pens4Life wrote:Kostitsyn soft?? :lol: Do you watch NHL? :D He hits like a tank,..

Okay, so he does hit more than I remember. Like a tank? Wow, missed those games.

1. The guy was suspended last year in the playoffs for being a jagoff with Radulov
2. He's got a history of running with a bad crew http://www.totalprosports.com/2009/02/20/the-montreal-canadiens-kostitsyn-brothers-involved-in-an-investigation-surrounding-organized-crime/

There are better options out there than AK27 (he's 27 years old, hence the nicknanme)

There were rumors with plenty of Russian players and organized crime...even some with Kovalev when he was playing for the Rangers. Kostitsyn would be a very solid addition here. As I said earlier, I wouldn't expect extreme point production, but it's what his game brings. I'd honestly rather spend $2.5M - $3M on him for two or three years than $4M to $6M over three to four years on Doan.

Signing AK would be a major, major mistake. This guy bailed on his team in the playoffs and we should him? No thanks.
Faubert5
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Formerly known as NashvilleCat - don't want any association with the Predators.

Postby MRandall25 on Thu Aug 16, 2012 10:52 am

Malkamaniac wrote:I'd like AK on the team purely because Malkin needs someone to play with and AK might be the better option than Doan(cheaper in money and years wise).

Malkin needs someone to play with?

He has James Neal and Chris Kunitz. :pop:
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Mr. Colby on Thu Aug 16, 2012 11:11 am

MRandall25 wrote:
Malkamaniac wrote:I'd like AK on the team purely because Malkin needs someone to play with and AK might be the better option than Doan(cheaper in money and years wise).

Yeah but if you're russian that automatically means you'd play great with any other russian
Mr. Colby
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Idoit40fans on Thu Aug 16, 2012 11:15 am

I'm guessing the fact that he uses his size more than his legs is the reason he would be with Malkin over Kunitz...who would play with Crosby. It makes sense. Not that adding him to the team in the first place makes any sense.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Mosby on Thu Aug 16, 2012 11:37 am

If the team wanted AK, they could have moved on him awhile ago on the cheap. I don't think Shero and co. even think he's an option. What a boob to shoot yourself in the foot in your UFA year by getting caught boozing it up during the playoffs :thumbdown:

My hope is that the Flames move Bouwmeester for forward(s) making Curtis Glencross expendable for trade to us for young defense (our strength). Still would want a top 6 at the trade deadline but it would be more manageable with Glencross already in the fold.
Mosby
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby SolidSnake on Thu Aug 16, 2012 1:26 pm

SolidSnake
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Hugo Stiglitz on Thu Aug 16, 2012 3:20 pm

NashvilleCat wrote:Signing AK would be a major, major mistake. This guy bailed on his team in the playoffs and we should him? No thanks.

He bailed? How?
Hugo Stiglitz
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Gaucho on Thu Aug 16, 2012 3:30 pm

Mr. Colby wrote:
MRandall25 wrote:

Yeah but if you're russian that automatically means you'd play great with any other russian

Even if they're Belorussians?
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Hugo Stiglitz on Thu Aug 16, 2012 3:46 pm

Mosby wrote:If the team wanted AK, they could have moved on him awhile ago on the cheap. I don't think Shero and co. even think he's an option. What a boob to shoot yourself in the foot in your UFA year by getting caught boozing it up during the playoffs :thumbdown:

My hope is that the Flames move Bouwmeester for forward(s) making Curtis Glencross expendable for trade to us for young defense (our strength). Still would want a top 6 at the trade deadline but it would be more manageable with Glencross already in the fold.

Glencross is my number #1 choice. I think he's the exact fit on every level.
Hugo Stiglitz
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby scals37 on Thu Aug 16, 2012 3:53 pm

Hugo Stiglitz wrote:
Mosby wrote:If the team wanted AK, they could have moved on him awhile ago on the cheap. I don't think Shero and co. even think he's an option. What a boob to shoot yourself in the foot in your UFA year by getting caught boozing it up during the playoffs :thumbdown:

People seem real high on Glencross.. his stats look very Kennedy-like to me, but I don't know him as a player at all.. Whats the appeal of this individual?
scals37
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Hugo Stiglitz on Thu Aug 16, 2012 3:57 pm

scals37 wrote:
Hugo Stiglitz wrote:

People seem real high on Glencross.. his stats look very Kennedy-like to me, but I don't know him as a player at all.. Whats the appeal of this individual?

It's not about his points, but he has better goal-scoring ability than Kennedy. He plays a physical style, he's a big body, has a very good two-way game, good hockey sense and will make a lot of room for Malkin. He would in essence do for Malkin what Dupuis does for Sid.
Hugo Stiglitz
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby scals37 on Thu Aug 16, 2012 4:01 pm

Hugo Stiglitz wrote:
scals37 wrote:
Hugo Stiglitz wrote:

It's not about his points, but he has better goal-scoring ability than Kennedy. He plays a physical style, he's a big body, has a very good two-way game, good hockey sense and will make a lot of room for Malkin. He would in essence do for Malkin what Dupuis does for Sid.

And he's fallen out of favor in Calgary?
scals37
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Hugo Stiglitz on Thu Aug 16, 2012 4:19 pm

scals37 wrote:And he's fallen out of favor in Calgary?

No, but Calgary has other needs to fill and he's a solid trade piece for them.
Hugo Stiglitz
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Pens4Life on Thu Aug 16, 2012 5:26 pm

SolidSnake wrote:http://www.thehockeynews.com/articles/48246-Does-Pittsburgh-have-the-goods-to-land-Bobby-Ryan.html

Harrington, Martin and Kennedy for Ryan and Pelley :D
Pens4Life
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Pens4Life on Thu Aug 16, 2012 5:27 pm

Hugo Stiglitz wrote:
scals37 wrote:And he's fallen out of favor in Calgary?

No, but Calgary has other needs to fill and he's a solid trade piece for them.

I like Glencross for 5years already,Shero get his ass here :D
Pens4Life
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby pens_CT on Thu Aug 16, 2012 5:34 pm

Hugo Stiglitz wrote:
NashvilleCat wrote:Signing AK would be a major, major mistake. This guy bailed on his team in the playoffs and we should him? No thanks.

He bailed? How?

Not sure if staying out beyong curfew getting drunk with your buddy Radulov counts as bailing on your team or not. Needless to say this happening during the playoffs doesn't leave a good impression regarding his focus and commitment to the team. My opinion, let some other team pick up the underachievers.
pens_CT
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby columbia on Thu Aug 16, 2012 5:36 pm

They won the Stanley Cup with Satan, Fedotenko and Sykora on the roster.
Just sayin'.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins