(Official) Free Agent and Offseason Discussion Thread

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: (Official) Free Agent and Offseason Discussion Thread

Postby Faubert5 on Sun Aug 19, 2012 9:05 pm

brwi wrote:
HockeyDaddy wrote:Ask a Habs fan about him. Most would tell you that it was addition by subtraction when he was dealt to Nashville.

Nashville obvious felt the same way as they announced they wouldn't try to re-sign him as soon as their season ended. Of course, they still like his brother and probably were worried about AK being more of a bad influence than a good one.

I'm sure AK's agent is pointing-out that the very late night at bars was followed by AK scoring a goal later that same day and then getting suspended afterwards when Nashville confirmed that him and Radulov were partying until 5am. In agent-spin, AK can party all night and score a goal 14 hours later!

No thanks on this loafer.

Agreed. AK is poison. This reminds me of the Steeler fan boards over the years. Every low-life who gets cut should be signed for what he might do with his talent with no regard to what he will do with his attitude and problems.
Faubert5
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Location: Formerly known as NashvilleCat - don't want any association with the Predators.

Postby columbia on Sun Aug 19, 2012 9:09 pm

NashvilleCat wrote:This reminds me of the Steeler fan boards over the years. Every low-life who gets cut should be signed for what he might do with his talent with no regard to what he will do with his attitude and problems.

That seems like a fairly accurate assessment of the NFL.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby jimjom on Mon Aug 20, 2012 12:18 am

AY YINZ STILLERZ SIGN OCHOE SENKOE ENSTEAD A WALLACE ARN CITY!
jimjom
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby shafnutz05 on Mon Aug 20, 2012 6:06 pm

Hockeyy Insiderr ‏@HockeyyInsiderr
The #Pens have offered Paul Martin to the #MNWild for Setoguchi and Stoner. #CONFIRMED by PIT source. Minny wants better deal/talks ongoing!
shafnutz05
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby KG on Mon Aug 20, 2012 6:07 pm

shafnutz05 wrote:
The #Pens have offered Paul Martin to the #MNWild for Setoguchi and Stoner. #CONFIRMED by PIT source. Minny wants better deal/talks ongoing!

Don't think the Pens could get that much for Martin!
KG
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby HockeyDaddy on Mon Aug 20, 2012 6:07 pm

Just thinking: If the NHL gets its way and a 5 year
max on salaries is implemented, it will be very hard to sign Geno to a cap hit similar to Crosby's.

If I have done my math correctly the average of the first 5 years of Sid's new deal is 11.56 million. It will be interesting to see how the numbers shake out on a five year deal for Geno.
HockeyDaddy
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby columbia on Mon Aug 20, 2012 6:08 pm

Plan the parade.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby TheGhostofGoulet on Mon Aug 20, 2012 6:09 pm

Sweet, he listened to me on NHL '13.
TheGhostofGoulet
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby pcm on Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:06 am

Reading over the Wild's preview on NHL.com got me thinking that they might be a good trade partner during the season. They've got a logjam up front with a bevy of young players (including Granlund) ready to crack the lineup, plus the addition of Parise means they'll may have to move people to open up spots.

Here's a look at their lineup:

Parise-Koivu-Heatley
Cullen-Granland-Setoguchi
Bouchard-Brodziak-Mitchell
Powe-Kenopka-Clutterbuck

Bouchard and Brodziak are both top-6 worthy. They've got 2 young power forwards knocking on the door in Bulmer and Coyle. Bulmer had a 9 game tryout last season and should make the team. Coyle is younger but better. He's expected to at least get a tryout as well; if there were a spot for him in the lineup he'd probably make the team. There's also Zucker, Phillips, and Larsson not far behind.

Granted, Bouchard and Koivu are glass warriors, so injuries may make this moot. But Wild fans seem to think Bouchard, Clutterbuck, or Setoguchi are the most likely to go (Cullen has a NTC.) Any one of those, as well as Bulmer or Coyle if made available, would make a welcome addition to the Pens forward crop. Bouchard would be the biggest question mark, but he's a ufa after this season and the Pens have the cap space to have him on IR if need be.
pcm
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby sil on Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:38 am

I'd imagine MIN would jump at the oppertunity to dump Bouchard.
sil
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby sil on Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:40 am

Oddly enough, while it's hockey insider (blah), I could see there being some truth to this, at least at an inquiry stage. I remember that Setoguchi was one of the forwards Shero was reportedly targeting back when he was shopping Goose around in 2010.
Last edited by sil on Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
sil
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby mikey287 on Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:13 am

Brodziak is another third liner, more in the mold of Sutter...Bulmer looks like a hard worker, physical player but not a ton of upside. Not tremendous upgrades for us...
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby sil on Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:18 am

mikey287 wrote:Brodziak is another third liner, more in the mold of Sutter...Bulmer looks like a hard worker, physical player but not a ton of upside. Not tremendous upgrades for us...

Coyle would be an upgrade as a forward prospect for us...and pretty much any team. This is also why MIN won't trade him.
sil
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby pcm on Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:30 am

Minn won't trade Brodziak. He's a key cog for them. The guy was their 3rd leading forward in ice time last year. That won't be the case this year, but still; he just re-upped for 3 more years...

I don't follow "hockey insider", so bringing up Minnesota was in now way shape or form based on that...

A 4th line of Glass-Vitale-Clutterbuck would be sweet.
pcm
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby sil on Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:04 pm

pcm wrote:Minn won't trade Brodziak. He's a key cog for them. The guy was their 3rd leading forward in ice time last year. That won't be the case this year, but still; he just re-upped for 3 more years...

I don't follow "hockey insider", so bringing up Minnesota was in now way shape or form based on that...

A 4th line of Glass-Vitale-Clutterbuck would be sweet.

A third line of Cooke | Sutter | Clutterbuck would be sweet as well.
sil
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby tfrizz on Tue Aug 21, 2012 1:04 pm

shafnutz05 wrote:

Please be true! Please be true!
tfrizz
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby HockeyDaddy on Tue Aug 21, 2012 1:12 pm

tfrizz wrote:
shafnutz05 wrote:

I hate to even address this rumor: But how would this make the Penguins better defensively?
HockeyDaddy
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby sil on Tue Aug 21, 2012 1:16 pm

HockeyDaddy wrote:
tfrizz wrote:
shafnutz05 wrote:

I hate to even address this rumor: But how would this make the Penguins better defensively?

It wouldn't...though I wouldn't be completely against such a trade for that reason alone.
sil
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby tfrizz on Tue Aug 21, 2012 1:17 pm

HockeyDaddy wrote:
tfrizz wrote:
shafnutz05 wrote:

I didn't notice the source until now :face: :face:

I'm not sure it would make them any worse. Stoner's not exactly a terrible defenseman. The real issue would be relying on younger guys to step right up/into 2nd line roles.
tfrizz
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby mikey287 on Tue Aug 21, 2012 1:27 pm

Clayton Stoner is a slightly better version of Engelland. Not sure his capability to play a major role on a regular basis. I wouldn't be wild about that deal to be honest...luckily the "source" is just someone with too much time on his/her hands that can sit there and take his/her best guess at a deal involving rumored players...
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby HockeyDaddy on Tue Aug 21, 2012 1:28 pm

sil wrote:
HockeyDaddy wrote:
tfrizz wrote:
shafnutz05 wrote:

It wouldn't...though I wouldn't be completely against such a trade for that reason alone.

I would. Defense killed them down the stretch. To weaken that position further makes zero sense.
HockeyDaddy
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby sil on Tue Aug 21, 2012 1:43 pm

HockeyDaddy wrote:I would. Defense killed them down the stretch. To weaken that position further makes zero sense.

It would certainly do the latter, at least for the short term. Mikey's right about Stoner...basically a #6/#7. Depending on how strongly the team values certain of our defensive prospects, they may be inclined to let them earn the spot vacated by Martin, as opposed to searching out a deal in which Martin is traded for another top-4 defenseman.
sil
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Hugo Stiglitz on Tue Aug 21, 2012 3:25 pm

HockeyDaddy wrote:I hate to even address this rumor: But how would this make the Penguins better defensively?

Well first off, the source is obviously not that reliable, but for the sake of argument:

How does this make the pens better defensively? The only real way I can answer this is that it doesn't make the them worse and it depends on Shero's overall plan. Someone compared him to Engellend, and while it sorta makes sense, it's a very simplistic comparison. Stoner is a solid stay-at-home dman with solid positional play and not too bad a shot-blocking...Ok, well maybe Mikey was accurate haha

My only issue with him is his ability to play a full season. The past two seasons have been hampered by injury and those his first full seasons. However, if it's Shero's plan to move Despres or Morrow into a full-time role this season, then it makes sense to bring in a guy like this to create a more well-rounded D-core.

All that being said, I can see why Minnesota would require more. While they would get stronger defensively, they're losing a fairly important piece up front which is an area that they're not exactly deep in. If I had to play things out in my head for things to happen in a perfect world, this is what I would do:

To MIN
Martin
Kennedy

To Pitt
Setoguchi
Stoner
2nd round pick

From that point, Dustin Jeffrey would successfully take over Kennedy's spot on the third line. So again, this is a perfect world scenario where Jeffrey was ready to step in and be productive, but who knows how big of an "IF" that is.

Neal-Malkin-Setoguchi
Kunitz-Sid-Dupuis
Cooke-Sutter-Jeffrey
Hugo Stiglitz
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Mr. Colby on Tue Aug 21, 2012 3:31 pm

It would be really dumb to trade Martin, Shero's not dumb, ergo Shero ain't trading Martin unless a) he gets a top-4 in return (and why would another team do that), or b) one of our youngsters proves theyre deserving of a top-4 spot (and it would be months at a minimum before we know that)

I bet defensive prospects and picks could get us Clutterbuck though. Do it. Do it.

Mr. Colby
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby HockeyDaddy on Tue Aug 21, 2012 7:26 pm

When the Penguins traded ZM and missed out on Suter, Paul Martin became much less expendable. The only way that you can move Martin is if you have another top minute eating defenseman coming back or have separate trade worked out to bring one in.

After years of watching prospects brought along slowly, I see no reason or indication that the Pens will suddenly turn the blue line over to 2-3 unproven commodities.
HockeyDaddy
AHL'er
AHL'er

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins