(Official) Free Agent and Offseason Discussion Thread

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: (Official) Free Agent and Offseason Discussion Thread

Postby Pitts on Fri Aug 24, 2012 10:14 am

According to one "insider" Evander Kane has requested a trade from Winnipeg. Now, there is one player I'd go hard after -- that's Crosby's power forward right there.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby mikey287 on Fri Aug 24, 2012 10:44 am

Pitts wrote:According to one "insider" Evander Kane has requested a trade from Winnipeg. Now, there is one player I'd go hard after -- that's Crosby's power forward right there.

100% false. And that's why we don't listen to people that need quotes around their alleged credentials...

Not a knock on you, Pitts, of course...just those "people" in general...see how the quotes work :thumb:
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby columbia on Fri Aug 24, 2012 10:45 am

At a minimum, any trade for Kane would involve Letang and that ain't happening.
Either way, I'm sure he is not on the trading block.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Location: If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu.

Postby Pitts on Fri Aug 24, 2012 10:46 am

mikey287 wrote:
Pitts wrote:According to one "insider" Evander Kane has requested a trade from Winnipeg. Now, there is one player I'd go hard after -- that's Crosby's power forward right there.

100% false. And that's why we don't listen to people that need quotes around their alleged credentials...

Not a knock on you, Pitts, of course...just those "people" in general...see how the quotes work :thumb:

lol, I know. But I can't help thinking about such awesome things! ;)

I get a giggle out of that guy.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby mikey287 on Fri Aug 24, 2012 10:49 am

child*
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby KG on Fri Aug 24, 2012 11:30 am

columbia wrote:I'm still miffed about that trade.
Even if the goal was to free cap space for Parise, ZM could have been traded afterwards.

It's not like the "assets" that Phoenix gave up were in great demand and wouldn't have been on the table days or weeks later.

I agree with this. Seems like the Z trade was rushed into by Shero. Even if he was planning on using the cap space for the Parise Suter show you are allowed to be over the cap during the off season.
KG
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby mikey287 on Fri Aug 24, 2012 11:59 am

Perhaps Michalek wanted out? I don't exactly know the answer to that for sure myself...
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby columbia on Fri Aug 24, 2012 12:02 pm

mikey287 wrote:Perhaps Michalek wanted out? I don't exactly know the answer to that for sure myself...

I've certainly floated that idea too....it just seems very strange, especially considering the return.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Location: If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu.

Postby steelhammer on Fri Aug 24, 2012 12:30 pm

columbia wrote:
mikey287 wrote:Perhaps Michalek wanted out? I don't exactly know the answer to that for sure myself...

I've certainly floated that idea too....it just seems very strange, especially considering the return.

I'm not trying to rehash the merits of his trade, but simply to say that our defense will likely see a hit from it and particularly so on the PK. Additionally, if it moves Letang up the PK depth chart, there will be less time for him to spend at EV. Possible double whammy.
steelhammer
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Defence21 on Fri Aug 24, 2012 12:32 pm

Mike Colligan (http://thehockeywriters.com/pittsburgh-penguins-europeans/) hinted that Michalek had grown tired of the Penguins' system and its inability to accommodate his style of game. He wasn't happy here and, while he may not have requested a trade, it sure seems like he made it clear he would be willing to waive his NTC, which he obviously did. “When I found out I was traded to Phoenix I was really thrilled because now I’m heading back to the place where I played my best hockey,” Michalek told PhoenixCoyotes.com after the deal. I don't think he was or ever would have become a malcontent, but I do believe it was known that he was unhappy -- and Shero, being a stand-up guy, looked to trade him to Ottawa (where his brother plays) and Phoenix (where he had his greatest success).

I really don't think his trade had anything to do with freeing up cap space for one or both of Parise and Suter.
Defence21
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Gaucho on Fri Aug 24, 2012 12:34 pm

FWIW, THN projects the Pens to finish 1st in the East.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Gaucho on Fri Aug 24, 2012 12:36 pm

I seem to remember reading on this very board that Z requested a trade because he didn't feel like being a good fit on the team.
Gaucho
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Noise on Fri Aug 24, 2012 1:06 pm

I'm weary of players that "want out." I'm sure that it's not always them & that sometimes it is actually the team, but usually I see it as a bad sign.
Noise
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby jogr4909 on Fri Aug 24, 2012 1:06 pm

Gaucho wrote:FWIW, THN projects the Pens to finish 1st in the East.

I don't know how they arrived at that prediction. Pens no better than 3rd or 4th imo.
jogr4909
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby steelhammer on Fri Aug 24, 2012 1:28 pm

jogr4909 wrote:
Gaucho wrote:FWIW, THN projects the Pens to finish 1st in the East.

I don't know how they arrived at that prediction. Pens no better than 3rd or 4th imo.

Having two of the best centers of all-time, the top rated right winger from last season and one of the best all-around defensemen in the league certainly warrants some consideration. Think of how bad the rest of the team has to be not to be considered among the best when you have the above.
steelhammer
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby mikey287 on Fri Aug 24, 2012 1:32 pm

Defence21 wrote:

Mike Colligan (http://thehockeywriters.com/pittsburgh-penguins-europeans/) hinted that Michalek had grown tired of the Penguins' system and its inability to accommodate his style of game. He wasn't happy here and, while he may not have requested a trade, it sure seems like he made it clear he would be willing to waive his NTC, which he obviously did. “When I found out I was traded to Phoenix I was really thrilled because now I’m heading back to the place where I played my best hockey,” Michalek told PhoenixCoyotes.com after the deal. I don't think he was or ever would have become a malcontent, but I do believe it was known that he was unhappy -- and Shero, being a stand-up guy, looked to trade him to Ottawa (where his brother plays) and Phoenix (where he had his greatest success).

I really don't think his trade had anything to do with freeing up cap space for one or both of Parise and Suter.

Good, I believe Colligan, he's a quality guy. So that explains the Michalek thing and fits perfectly with what happened (offered to Ottawa, offered to Phoenix, Shero always willing to bend over backwards to accomodate his players). So hopefully the "Michalek indirectly for Parise" idea goes away...
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby shmenguin on Fri Aug 24, 2012 1:32 pm

Defence21 wrote:

classy move, but it has a "shero fiddled while our PK burned" feel to it
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Zach6668 on Fri Aug 24, 2012 2:05 pm

Can we get a forum ban on posting crap from the "insiderr"? Thanks.
Zach6668
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby IMFC on Fri Aug 24, 2012 2:35 pm

Turns out it wasn't the system - it was the ice.

In Pittsburgh, every time he flopped down, Michalek would get dinged - hip, elbow, shoulder - and over time it affected his play.

Phoenix, being in the southwest, actually has softer ice, making it easier for him to be competitive for the whole season. His ice swimming coach actually opposed his signing with Pittsburgh and has recently been quoted in the Czech media, "Toldja so."

In a candid moment in the pressbox in March, a drunken French lipreader thinks he saw Mario say, "There! Can't we just ban that swimming thing? You never see that in football. People like football.Flopping on the ground like that. He's on our team and I still wish someone would just kick him or something."

Bam. Traded.
IMFC
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Pitts on Fri Aug 24, 2012 2:43 pm

Zach6668 wrote:Can we get a forum ban on posting crap from the "insiderr"? Thanks.

No, because I am the inziderrr.
Pitts
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Defence21 on Fri Aug 24, 2012 4:06 pm

shmenguin wrote:
Defence21 wrote:

classy move, but it has a "shero fiddled while our PK burned" feel to it

Classy, indeed. Not sure where the "shero fiddled while our PK burned" idea comes from, though. Under Shero's hand, the PK has become one of the best in the NHL on a regular basis. Sure, it failed miserably during the playoffs, but it finished 3rd in the NHL in 2011-12, which was preceded by a 1st place finish in 2010-11 and a 9th place finish in 2009-10. He didn't replace Michalek this summer, but what was available that would have made sense (both in terms of fit and cost)?
Defence21
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby shmenguin on Fri Aug 24, 2012 4:58 pm

he traded away maybe our 2 best penalty killers on the same night without a solid succession plan. we'll see how it plays out, but so far, it seems like a pretty careless sequence of decisions
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby MRandall25 on Fri Aug 24, 2012 5:34 pm

shmenguin wrote:he traded away maybe our 2 best penalty killers on the same night without a solid succession plan. we'll see how it plays out, but so far, it seems like a pretty careless sequence of decisions

I wouldn't say Brandon Sutter isn't a solid succession plan to Jordan Staal...
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby mikey287 on Fri Aug 24, 2012 5:35 pm

shmenguin wrote:he traded away maybe our 2 best penalty killers on the same night without a solid succession plan. we'll see how it plays out, but so far, it seems like a pretty careless sequence of decisions

Well, that's not totally fair. He replaced a top PKing forward with another PKing forward in Sutter, he also added an underrated defensive forward in Tanner Glass. Michalek, it seems, was moved at his request. With Despres and Dumoulin looking to take over sooner rather than later, both will be groomed to being PKing d-men...to say that he did this is in a "careless" fashion seems misplaced...
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby pens_srq on Fri Aug 24, 2012 6:28 pm

Yeah and these guys were amazing vs Philly in the playoffs. They needed to change something. Maybe they think they have a clear view of the problems and there are factors that we aren't aware of. Regardless, I don't see Z as being irreplaceable by any stretch.
pens_srq
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins