Crosby Re-Signed - 8.7 per 12 years!

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Crosby Re-Signed - 8.7 per 12 years!

Postby penny lane on Thu Jun 28, 2012 7:06 pm

Joffrey Lupul ‏@JLupul
Standard move is buying the whole team dinner when you sign a new contract. Sid should have to take the whole league out...

funny! :P
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby lemieuxReturns on Thu Jun 28, 2012 7:31 pm

penny lane wrote:
Joffrey Lupul ‏@JLupul
Standard move is buying the whole team dinner when you sign a new contract. Sid should have to take the whole league out...

funny! :P

More like "Standard move is buying the whole team dinner when you sign a new contract. The league should have to take Sid out..."

Sid to the league in reference to the 70 million cap max ... "Your welcome".
lemieuxReturns
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Desiato on Thu Jun 28, 2012 7:34 pm

darkstar57 wrote:
Geezer wrote: if you told me 10 years ago NHL players would be getting 100 million dollar deals, i would have laughed at u

You mean around the time Jagr signed for 7 years/77 million and Yashin signed for 10 years/87.5 million? Top players earned more 10-15 years ago than they do today, especially when you take inflation into account.
Desiato
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby mikey287 on Thu Jun 28, 2012 7:44 pm

Desiato wrote:
darkstar57 wrote:
Geezer wrote: if you told me 10 years ago NHL players would be getting 100 million dollar deals, i would have laughed at u

You mean around the time Jagr signed for 7 years/77 million and Yashin signed for 10 years/87.5 million? Top players earned more 10-15 years ago than they do today, especially when you take inflation into account.

No dog in the fight, just presenting figures...

Meet you in the middle and call it 12 years ago...

1. Forsberg - $10M
2. Kariya - $10M
3. Jagr - $9.85M
4. Bure - $9M
5. Tkachuk $8.3M
10. Hasek/Roy/Sundin - $7.5M
15. Hull/LeClair/Modano - $7M
20. Fleury/Gilmour - $6M
25. Blake - ~$5.25M

Now:

1. Brad Richards - $12M
2. Tyler Myers - $12M
3. Kovalchuk - $11M
4. Lecavalier - $10M
5. Ovechkin/Malkin - $9M
10. Keith/Spezza/Ehrhoff/Stamkos - $8M
15. Nash - $7.6M
20 - 25. Iginla/Briere/Cammalleri/Thornton/Seabrook/Wisniewski - $7M

With Zach Parise and Ryan Suter likely to crack this list also in 96 hours.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby lemieuxReturns on Thu Jun 28, 2012 8:08 pm

not sure if this was posted... but this is from shero:

"It's almost like having two kids that you're equally fond of," said Shero. "When the time comes we're going to try and make Geno happy as well and keep him a Penguin for a long time."
lemieuxReturns
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby PensFanInDC on Thu Jun 28, 2012 8:12 pm

Talked with 2 caps fans about the signing tonight. They thought it was the dumbest move in NHL history because "Sid is 1 hit away from being a vegetable. And he's not even the best player in the league." I played along and asked who is better. Niklas Backstrom was their first answer. I responded by telling them that I can no longer talk about hockey with them until they mature in their fandom a little more.
PensFanInDC
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby juicebox1 on Thu Jun 28, 2012 8:12 pm

sid,
your loyalty and dedication to the team and fanbase is beyond admirable. thank you for making us an elite franchise and desirable hockey market for many years to come. i couldn't be more excited to be a penguin fan.

cheers!
juicebox1
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby duke66 on Thu Jun 28, 2012 8:25 pm

PensFanInDC wrote:Talked with 2 caps fans about the signing tonight. They thought it was the dumbest move in NHL history because "Sid is 1 hit away from being a vegetable. And he's not even the best player in the league." I played along and asked who is better. Niklas Backstrom was their first answer. I responded by telling them that I can no longer talk about hockey with them until they mature in their fandom a little more.

the twitter world is abuzz with similar notions from idiotic fans. worst deal in nhl history, etc. call me naive, but is this not a no risk contract from the pens point of view? if he plays out the contract, u get the best in the world for a very reasonable cap hit. if he doesn't for whatever reason, insurance pays his contract and the cap hit is zero. am i wrong?
duke66
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Idoit40fans on Thu Jun 28, 2012 8:49 pm

I guess it makes them feel better to think that its possible that this contract ends up being bad if Crosby can't go to work anymore when they're sitting on that Ovechkin contract thats bad because he won't go to work anymore.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby tfrizz on Thu Jun 28, 2012 8:59 pm

duke66 wrote:
PensFanInDC wrote:Talked with 2 caps fans about the signing tonight. They thought it was the dumbest move in NHL history because "Sid is 1 hit away from being a vegetable. And he's not even the best player in the league." I played along and asked who is better. Niklas Backstrom was their first answer. I responded by telling them that I can no longer talk about hockey with them until they mature in their fandom a little more.

the twitter world is abuzz with similar notions from idiotic fans. worst deal in nhl history, etc. call me naive, but is this not a no risk contract from the pens point of view? if he plays out the contract, u get the best in the world for a very reasonable cap hit. if he doesn't for whatever reason, insurance pays his contract and the cap hit is zero. am i wrong?

Let the fans talk all they want. There are 29 other GMs in the NHL, and who knows how many outside the league, that would love to make that same deal.

I just keep going back to the quote... "If he (Shero) doesn't do it, someone else will."

Insurance is a bit tricker. I've read that he's uninsurable right now, and will have to get through a healthy season or two before insurance companies will start picking it up on short-term coverage.
tfrizz
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby duke66 on Thu Jun 28, 2012 9:07 pm

tfrizz wrote:
duke66 wrote:

Let the fans talk all they want. There are 29 other GMs in the NHL, and who knows how many outside the league, that would love to make that same deal.

I just keep going back to the quote... "If he (Shero) doesn't do it, someone else will."

Insurance is a bit tricker. I've read that he's uninsurable right now, and will have to get through a healthy season or two before insurance companies will start picking it up on short-term coverage.

i guess a different take is this. if sid were to be hurt and have to retire at some point during the contract, his cap hit is gone correct? whether or not the pens are on the hook for the dough or not. it's kinda two separate issues.
duke66
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby newarenanow on Thu Jun 28, 2012 9:10 pm

This is an absolute great deal.

If you would tell me the best player in the world, in his prime, would sign a contract that is not a penny more than he is making now, leaves probably $30-40M on the table during the life of the contract (those numbers are just a guess), and signed for what will probably be the remainder of his career, at least the most productive portion of his career, I'd be stunned.

But not with Sid. This is great. Sure, there is always the injury factor, but that can be for anyone. All it takes is one hit for anyone and they are done.

Now, just Geno the same deal and we can all be happy for a long, long time.

Just to put it in perspective, Sid, as long as he is healthy, will be a Penguin until I'm 47. I like that.

EDIT: Never mind, based on today's cap, Sid is leaving $72M on the table over the life of the contract (someone would pay him the max).
Last edited by newarenanow on Thu Jun 28, 2012 9:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
newarenanow
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Orlando Penguin on Thu Jun 28, 2012 9:13 pm

Mistake #1 -- trying to talk about the Penguins with a Caps fan.

Mistake #2 -- trying to talk any SENSIBLE hockey with a Caps fan.

Mistake #3 -- talking at all to a Caps fan.

:D :D
Orlando Penguin
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby joopen on Thu Jun 28, 2012 9:14 pm

Orlando Penguin wrote:

Mistake #1 -- trying to talk about the Penguins with a Caps fan.

Mistake #2 -- trying to talk any SENSIBLE hockey with a Caps fan.

Mistake #3 -- talking at all to a Caps fan.

:D :D

4. Profit
joopen
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby llipgh2 on Thu Jun 28, 2012 9:20 pm

Between the discounts Sld and Quick took, Fehr is probably ripping his hair out. HAHA!
llipgh2
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby dman66 on Thu Jun 28, 2012 9:24 pm

Awesome awesome awesome!
dman66
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby pressure=9Pa on Thu Jun 28, 2012 9:35 pm

Does Fehr really care that Sid took less on a team that will spend to the cap anyway? I think it would be a bigger issue if someone took a big hometown discount and that team didn't spend to the cap. The Pens now have more money to spend on other FAs, which will drive prices for those players up, even if they don't land here.
pressure=9Pa
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Malkamaniac on Thu Jun 28, 2012 9:41 pm

I would imagine by now that Fehr has less wiggle/negotiation room anyways in regards to the players and the league. Not like he did with the MLB and it's players. I can't imagine he's too upset about it.
Malkamaniac
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Streaks House on Thu Jun 28, 2012 9:42 pm

pressure=9Pa wrote:Does Fehr really care that Sid took less on a team that will spend to the cap anyway? I think it would be a bigger issue if someone took a big hometown discount and that team didn't spend to the cap. The Pens now have more money to spend on other FAs, which will drive prices for those players up, even if they don't land here.

Yes, but at the same time, Crosby (and Malkin, assuming he takes similar extension) are 2 of the NHL's top players. Being 2 of the elite, shouldn't they be setting the market ceiling?
Streaks House
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby columbia on Thu Jun 28, 2012 9:46 pm

Alternately, if they are doing their diligence to the union membership as a whole:

Taking a discount conceivably lowers the potential earning power of the other members of the top tier, but frees up cash for those on the lower rungs.

I have no no idea if Crosby thinks in those terms, of course.
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Location: If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu.

Postby jpvs2k6 on Thu Jun 28, 2012 9:47 pm

You mean the same Backstrom that missed half a season with a concussion?

How many hits until he's a vegetable?

Give me a break.

There is honestly no worse fanbase in the entire league.
jpvs2k6
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby Streaks House on Thu Jun 28, 2012 9:48 pm

Relative to the increase in the maximum cap AAV, how many teams are able to justify paying player(s) a significantly higher AAV than Crosby (and assume Geno)? Relative to 87's last $8.7M AAV contract, the max AAV contract is much higher. It could potentially be an artificial ceiling...
Streaks House
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby IanMoran on Thu Jun 28, 2012 9:58 pm

jpvs2k6 wrote:

You mean the same Backstrom that missed half a season with a concussion?

How many hits until he's a vegetable?

Give me a break.

There is honestly no worse fanbase in the entire league.

Idk if its just Washington fans... For some bizarre reason people across league truely seem to hate Sid

I had a long conversation with a Detroit fan, who seemed very knowledgable / complimentary of the Pens. nice guy, etc.. Then topic of Crosby was brought up and he became irrational. Stated he'd NEVER take him on the Wings' no matter what, how horrible he is, whiner, diver, etc..

I understand people get tired of the publicity, but comeon.. I get tired of hearing about Tom Brady but I'm fully aware I'd LOVE him if he was a Steeler
IanMoran
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby duke66 on Thu Jun 28, 2012 10:03 pm

IanMoran wrote:Idk if its just Washington fans... For some bizarre reason people across league truely seem to hate Sid

I had a long conversation with a Detroit fan, who seemed very knowledgable / complimentary of the Pens. nice guy, etc.. Then topic of Crosby was brought up and he became irrational. Stated he'd NEVER take him on the Wings' no matter what, how horrible he is, whiner, diver, etc..

I understand people get tired of the publicity, but comeon.. I get tired of hearing about Tom Brady but I'm fully aware I'd LOVE him if he was a Steeler

well there is the jealousy factor of course. i also think with the 24/7 overexposure of today's athletes, that plays a role too. but it is absolutely insane the hate thrown at one hockey player who with the exception of being a bit over zealous as a rookie, has been a model pro. won it all. and is truly a nice kid. f***in bizarre.
duke66
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby wondermoose on Thu Jun 28, 2012 10:33 pm

I know hindsight is 20/20, but perhaps it would have been smart to shorten Malkin's current deal a year so that Shero could sign both players before the CBA changed. Now, we didn't know Malkin would fall so in love with the city and the organization the way he has, but it could have been a great headline for both players to sign the same long term deals.

The new CBA worries me about Malkin =(
wondermoose
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins