Penguins Re-Sign Defenseman Matt Niskanen: 2 yr, $4.6m

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Penguins Re-Sign Defenseman Matt Niskanen: 2 yr, $4.6m

Postby IanMoran on Sat Jun 30, 2012 1:56 pm

Good signing
IanMoran
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 5,482
Joined: Tue May 12, 2009 12:10 am
Location: Minneapolis, via Pittsburgh

Re: Penguins Re-Sign Defenseman Matt Niskanen: 2 yr, $4.6m

Postby Pens15 on Sat Jun 30, 2012 2:02 pm

So I assume you guys are all sold on Niskanen as a fixture in the top 4 then?
Pens15
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 2,099
Joined: Tue Sep 11, 2007 8:49 pm

Re: Penguins Re-Sign Defenseman Matt Niskanen: 2 yr, $4.6m

Postby Big Easy Pens Fan on Sat Jun 30, 2012 2:03 pm

Bioshock wrote:Josh Yohe ‏@JoshYohe_Trib

Niskanen: "I'm not happy to be in Pittsburgh. I'm super happy. Pittsburgh does things the right way, and I want to be a part of it there. I knew immediately it was the right place for me. I would have considered a longer deal if it were in the cards. But two years is fine. I'm happy with that."


I guess this explains the discount. :thumb: :thumb:

BEPF
Last edited by Big Easy Pens Fan on Sat Jun 30, 2012 2:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Big Easy Pens Fan
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 1,525
Joined: Sun Jun 15, 2008 6:18 pm
Location: New Orleans, LA

Re: Penguins Re-Sign Defenseman Matt Niskanen: 2 yr, $4.6m

Postby jogr4909 on Sat Jun 30, 2012 2:04 pm

Bioshock wrote:Josh Yohe ‏@JoshYohe_Trib

Niskanen: "I'm not happy to be in Pittsburgh. I'm super happy."

I'm super happy the Goligoski trade worked out like this for Pens. Top 6 40 goal scorer and top 4 D pairing all signed up. excellent.
jogr4909
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 535
Joined: Fri Jan 08, 2010 9:38 pm

Re: Penguins Re-Sign Defenseman Matt Niskanen: 2 yr, $4.6m

Postby IanMoran on Sat Jun 30, 2012 2:05 pm

Pens15 wrote:So I assume you guys are all sold on Niskanen as a fixture in the top 4 then?

It wouldn't be a bad signing even if he was just a 5th d but, tbh I think I'm fine with him on the second pairing

2 possible scenarios? :
Letang - XXXX
Niskanen - Orpik
Despres - Engo / Lovejoy

OR keep Martin and go for a cheaper defenseman I guess
Letang - Orpik
Martin - XXX
Nisky - Despres

Either / or I'd be fine with
Last edited by IanMoran on Sat Jun 30, 2012 2:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
IanMoran
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 5,482
Joined: Tue May 12, 2009 12:10 am
Location: Minneapolis, via Pittsburgh

Re: Penguins Re-Sign Defenseman Matt Niskanen: 2 yr, $4.6m

Postby Bioshock on Sat Jun 30, 2012 2:06 pm

Pens15 wrote:So I assume you guys are all sold on Niskanen as a fixture in the top 4 then?


Depends on who Shero brings in. As of right now, yes.
Bioshock
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 3,599
Joined: Sun Mar 06, 2011 4:55 pm
Location: Mt. Lebanon

Re: Penguins Re-Sign Defenseman Matt Niskanen: 2 yr, $4.6m

Postby mikey287 on Sat Jun 30, 2012 2:08 pm

You just have to be careful...because Niskanen has shown that he can be one of the worst players in the league if not used correctly...the fact of the matter is, he had the easiest job on the Pens blueline last year (along with fringe NHLers like Engelland and Lovejoy) and while he did fine in that role as a #5, that doesn't mean he can do as well as a #4 (see: Andrej Meszaros from Ottawa to Tampa Bay). Niskanen was rather sheltered all season long, which is fine to get your confidence back, but you can't be 100% sure of top-4 minutes until you see it...and that's not to say that he can't, but you have to be careful...hockey fans in general have the "what have you done for me yesterday?" mindset, so Niskanen was "awesome" as a #5 but might be "garbage" as a #4. It happens all the time...I think the same thing happens with Martin this coming season also...but that's neither here nor there...
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 15,541
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 6:40 pm
Location: Philadelphia, PA - @MichaelFarkasHF

Re: Penguins Re-Sign Defenseman Matt Niskanen: 2 yr, $4.6m

Postby Pens15 on Sat Jun 30, 2012 2:09 pm

IanMoran wrote:
Pens15 wrote:So I assume you guys are all sold on Niskanen as a fixture in the top 4 then?

It wouldn't be a bad signing even if he was just a 5th d but, tbh I think I'm fine with him on the second pairing


See, that's where I disagree. I wouldn't be thrilled with paying him 2.3M to play bottom pair. Maybe if he was all we had, it'd be fine. But not when we have all these cheap young guys knocking on the door.
Pens15
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 2,099
Joined: Tue Sep 11, 2007 8:49 pm

Re: Penguins Re-Sign Defenseman Matt Niskanen: 2 yr, $4.6m

Postby jogr4909 on Sat Jun 30, 2012 2:10 pm

Bring in bryan Allen for D. Get Parise, Doan, and Konopka as forwards; Let's go !

Forrget about Suter, bye bye Martin.
jogr4909
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 535
Joined: Fri Jan 08, 2010 9:38 pm

Re: Penguins Re-Sign Defenseman Matt Niskanen: 2 yr, $4.6m

Postby mikey287 on Sat Jun 30, 2012 2:14 pm

Pens15 wrote:
IanMoran wrote:
Pens15 wrote:So I assume you guys are all sold on Niskanen as a fixture in the top 4 then?

It wouldn't be a bad signing even if he was just a 5th d but, tbh I think I'm fine with him on the second pairing


See, that's where I disagree. I wouldn't be thrilled with paying him 2.3M to play bottom pair. Maybe if he was all we had, it'd be fine. But not when we have all these cheap young guys knocking on the door.


Just two very elementary points for context sake, not even to make an argument. But under the current salary cap situation, every roster position has an expected value of just over $3.5 million. So paying 2/3 of that for a #5 d-man is not bad. Two, these cheap players knocking on the door...there may be a good reason we haven't answered the door for starters, and secondly for being "younger" and "cheaper" we would potentially sacrifice effectiveness for an age difference of what? 18 months? And a buck and a quarter or a buck and a half? That's cutting corners where corners should remain sharp...
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 15,541
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 6:40 pm
Location: Philadelphia, PA - @MichaelFarkasHF

Re: Penguins Re-Sign Defenseman Matt Niskanen: 2 yr, $4.6m

Postby IanMoran on Sat Jun 30, 2012 2:17 pm

mikey287 wrote:You just have to be careful...because Niskanen has shown that he can be one of the worst players in the league if not used correctly...the fact of the matter is, he had the easiest job on the Pens blueline last year (along with fringe NHLers like Engelland and Lovejoy) and while he did fine in that role as a #5, that doesn't mean he can do as well as a #4 (see: Andrej Meszaros from Ottawa to Tampa Bay). Niskanen was rather sheltered all season long, which is fine to get your confidence back, but you can't be 100% sure of top-4 minutes until you see it...and that's not to say that he can't, but you have to be careful...hockey fans in general have the "what have you done for me yesterday?" mindset, so Niskanen was "awesome" as a #5 but might be "garbage" as a #4. It happens all the time...I think the same thing happens with Martin this coming season also...but that's neither here nor there...

Not just a hockey type of thing... see William Gay's transition for 3rd "AWESOME" corner to most hated man in Pittsburgh lol
IanMoran
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 5,482
Joined: Tue May 12, 2009 12:10 am
Location: Minneapolis, via Pittsburgh

Re: Penguins Re-Sign Defenseman Matt Niskanen: 2 yr, $4.6m

Postby IanMoran on Sat Jun 30, 2012 2:20 pm

mikey287 wrote:
Pens15 wrote:
IanMoran wrote:
Pens15 wrote:So I assume you guys are all sold on Niskanen as a fixture in the top 4 then?

It wouldn't be a bad signing even if he was just a 5th d but, tbh I think I'm fine with him on the second pairing


See, that's where I disagree. I wouldn't be thrilled with paying him 2.3M to play bottom pair. Maybe if he was all we had, it'd be fine. But not when we have all these cheap young guys knocking on the door.


Just two very elementary points for context sake, not even to make an argument. But under the current salary cap situation, every roster position has an expected value of just over $3.5 million. So paying 2/3 of that for a #5 d-man is not bad.

I think a lot of contracts are misread because of how much cap has increased. 2.3 mill in 2012 = roughly 1.2 mill in 2004
IanMoran
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 5,482
Joined: Tue May 12, 2009 12:10 am
Location: Minneapolis, via Pittsburgh

Re: Penguins Re-Sign Defenseman Matt Niskanen: 2 yr, $4.6m

Postby DesertPenguin on Sat Jun 30, 2012 2:26 pm

The only knock i've had on Niskanen is that hes on the small side and isn't overly physical.

However, this past season he seems to have fit perfectly into what Byslma wants to do and played the type of game that makes you not notice him much on defense (a good thing!). While we spent the entire season calling out every mistake made by Martin, Michalek and even Orpik and Letang, Niskanen just continued to do a solid, if unspectacular, job of playing his game.

I'm perfectly happy with him filling a top 4 role this season, but I'd like to see the minutes get distributed a little more evenly among the six. Last season the average time on ice per game for our 7 NHL defensemen was:

Letang - 24:50
Martin - 23:00
Orpik - 22:33
Michalek - 21:38
Niskanen - 17:56
Engelland - 16:08
Lovejoy - 13:50

Id like to see Niskanen come in right around 20:00. Its less than what Michalek was playing, but more than what he was asked to do last season. Spread those extra minutes to Despres and I think we are good. Lovejoy, when we used him, was clearly not trusted to even the level Engelland played, and I think his time has passed. Id Rather see Strait or Bortuzzo up in Pittsburgh this season than Lovejoy.
Last edited by DesertPenguin on Sat Jun 30, 2012 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DesertPenguin
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 529
Joined: Mon Jun 01, 2009 7:32 pm
Location: Z's Old House

Re: Penguins Re-Sign Defenseman Matt Niskanen: 2 yr, $4.6m

Postby Bioshock on Sat Jun 30, 2012 2:27 pm

Seth Rorabaugh ‏@emptynetters

Niskanen on Crosby's contract: "It’s about winning and having a winning team and he wants to have good players around him."
Bioshock
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 3,599
Joined: Sun Mar 06, 2011 4:55 pm
Location: Mt. Lebanon

Re: Penguins Re-Sign Defenseman Matt Niskanen: 2 yr, $4.6m

Postby mikey287 on Sat Jun 30, 2012 2:28 pm

IanMoran wrote:
mikey287 wrote:
Pens15 wrote:
IanMoran wrote:
Pens15 wrote:So I assume you guys are all sold on Niskanen as a fixture in the top 4 then?

It wouldn't be a bad signing even if he was just a 5th d but, tbh I think I'm fine with him on the second pairing


See, that's where I disagree. I wouldn't be thrilled with paying him 2.3M to play bottom pair. Maybe if he was all we had, it'd be fine. But not when we have all these cheap young guys knocking on the door.


Just two very elementary points for context sake, not even to make an argument. But under the current salary cap situation, every roster position has an expected value of just over $3.5 million. So paying 2/3 of that for a #5 d-man is not bad.

I think a lot of contracts are misread because of how much cap has increased. 2.3 mill in 2012 = roughly 1.2 mill in 2004


That's exactly right. Contracts don't exist in a vacuum when you have a salary cap.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 15,541
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 6:40 pm
Location: Philadelphia, PA - @MichaelFarkasHF

Re: Penguins Re-Sign Defenseman Matt Niskanen: 2 yr, $4.6m

Postby Bioshock on Sat Jun 30, 2012 2:30 pm

I'm all for this contract. Did you See Niskanen's comments on how he wished it could have been longer but it wasn't in the cards? Yeah, Shero is gonna gut this blue line. Everyone here now besides Letang won't be in this city in 24 months.
Bioshock
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 3,599
Joined: Sun Mar 06, 2011 4:55 pm
Location: Mt. Lebanon

Re: Penguins Re-Sign Defenseman Matt Niskanen: 2 yr, $4.6m

Postby pcm on Sat Jun 30, 2012 2:38 pm

I don't know about Orpik. I bet he stays around for a while, slowly dropping down the depth charts as he moves into more of a veteran depth / mentor for the young guys role
pcm
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 5,725
Joined: Thu Mar 09, 2006 10:39 am
Location: mountains

Re: Penguins Re-Sign Defenseman Matt Niskanen: 2 yr, $4.6m

Postby Puffymuffin on Sat Jun 30, 2012 2:40 pm

Bioshock wrote:I'm all for this contract. Did you See Niskanen's comments on how he wished it could have been longer but it wasn't in the cards? Yeah, Shero is gonna gut this blue line. Everyone here now besides Letang won't be in this city in 24 months.


Niskanen might stay as well, he likes it here and is a good player, unless a few of the young guns actually step up big time he'll be here.
Last edited by Puffymuffin on Sat Jun 30, 2012 2:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Puffymuffin
ECHL'er
ECHL'er
 
Posts: 1,354
Joined: Fri Jan 08, 2010 12:33 pm

Re: Penguins Re-Sign Defenseman Matt Niskanen: 2 yr, $4.6m

Postby penny lane on Sat Jun 30, 2012 2:40 pm

Matt Niskanen has found his home! We're super happy too! Great trade last year, by GM Shero; with Matty and James Neal. I still remember his bio or game day q & a; he wore sweatpants to high school. :D
penny lane
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner
 
Posts: 27,822
Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2006 6:29 pm
Location: 20 minute efforts = see you in september

Re: Penguins Re-Sign Defenseman Matt Niskanen: 2 yr, $4.6m

Postby Rylan on Sat Jun 30, 2012 2:41 pm

Niskanen and Michalek prove that where you play absolutely matters. You have to be happy and confident to succeed and they both teetered in opposite directions. Niskanen was considered to be a bust and terrible in Dallas, but comes to Pittsburgh and thrives. Meanwhile, Michalek was solid in Phoenix and comes to Pittsburgh and falters a bit.

I am extremely excited for this deal.

As for not being here in 24 mos. I think its more of a prove yourself being more than a one year wonder before I invest a long term contract with you.
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner
 
Posts: 15,861
Joined: Sun Aug 30, 2009 12:07 am
Location: Dead and Without Love

Re: Penguins Re-Sign Defenseman Matt Niskanen: 2 yr, $4.6m

Postby IanMoran on Sat Jun 30, 2012 2:43 pm

Bioshock wrote:I'm all for this contract. Did you See Niskanen's comments on how he wished it could have been longer but it wasn't in the cards? Yeah, Shero is gonna gut this blue line. Everyone here now besides Letang won't be in this city in 24 months.

Shero's always been a fan of short term 1-3 year deals on EVERYONE but his "core." Nothing really here, he likes flexibility
IanMoran
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star
 
Posts: 5,482
Joined: Tue May 12, 2009 12:10 am
Location: Minneapolis, via Pittsburgh

Re: Penguins Re-Sign Defenseman Matt Niskanen: 2 yr, $4.6m

Postby Willie Kool on Sat Jun 30, 2012 2:51 pm

Good contract. :D I really like Niskanen's game.

pcm wrote:And if you feel up to it, there's an opening on this team for a power play quarterback...

:thumb: I think he has definitely shown potential. He has a good shot and seems pretty confident and comfortable on the point.
Willie Kool
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 4,837
Joined: Wed Oct 06, 2010 9:27 pm
Location: Basically, can't **** with me

Re: Penguins Re-Sign Defenseman Matt Niskanen: 2 yr, $4.6m

Postby PghSkins on Sat Jun 30, 2012 3:00 pm

meow wrote:Nine consecutive posts without something negative. Is that some sort of a record?


There was a Pirates game to prepare for.

Also, WOO HOO! :D
PghSkins
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch
 
Posts: 14,683
Joined: Tue Oct 10, 2006 8:36 pm
Location: Hack Squad Holla

Re: Penguins Re-Sign Defenseman Matt Niskanen: 2 yr, $4.6m

Postby Pens4Life on Sat Jun 30, 2012 3:20 pm

Good re-signing,great to see him back :thumb:
Pens4Life
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 3,323
Joined: Sun Jan 29, 2006 1:02 pm
Location: Slovenia

Re: Penguins Re-Sign Defenseman Matt Niskanen: 2 yr, $4.6m

Postby TheGhostofGoulet on Sat Jun 30, 2012 3:28 pm

Entering this summer, Niskanen was a restricted free agent. If both sides hadn’t reached an agreement by noon on Sunday, he would have become an unrestricted free agent and able to sign with any team he wanted.


Not that it matters now, but I don't think that is correct.
TheGhostofGoulet
AHL'er
AHL'er
 
Posts: 2,634
Joined: Sun Mar 08, 2009 10:02 am
Location: This Island Earth

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Idoit40fans, llipgh2, NashvilleCat, Pitt87, RisslingsMissingTeeth and 24 guests

e-mail