Ales Hemsky in play, pens interested?

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Re: Ales Hemsky in play, pens interested?

Postby mikey287 on Sun Jul 01, 2012 8:18 pm

HomerPenguin wrote:
Senka wrote:I am hoping the Sens give Shero a call on Martin. They need D and we need to shed Martin.

We really don't unless they can replace him. I'm not a Martin fan by any means, but you don't go into the season with Letang/Orpik/Niskanen/Despres/Engelland/Lovejoy/Bortuzzo as your defensemen and expect big things.

And this is right on the money. It's two-fold too. You can look and go, you have 4 rookies/fringe NHLers in your rotation right there and another guy who is one year removed from being one of the league's worst d-men...that's a lot of pressure on them to perform, right now in big minutes. But in the inverse is true also, that's a lot of pressure on Letang and Orpik to protect leads, to get goals back if we're down...that's literally one of the league's worst defenses right there...it can't win. That'll get goalies traded, coaches fired, the whole deal. That won't work.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby bhaw on Sun Jul 01, 2012 8:18 pm

HomerPenguin wrote:
bhaw wrote:
Senka wrote:I am hoping the Sens give Shero a call on Martin. They need D and we need to shed Martin.

Supposedly the conversation already happened but Murray won't deal unless we take back a similar contract.

Technically I believe it he said they had to take back "a schimilaw kcontwackt," but yes.

:fist:
bhaw
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby offsides on Sun Jul 01, 2012 8:19 pm

HomerPenguin wrote:

We really don't unless they can replace him. I'm not a Martin fan by any means, but you don't go into the season with Letang/Orpik/Niskanen/Despres/Engelland/Lovejoy/Bortuzzo as your defensemen and expect big things.

I have to agree. To me, our current defense, even with Martin, will not put fear in anyone.
offsides
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Rylan on Sun Jul 01, 2012 8:22 pm

mikey287 wrote:
HomerPenguin wrote:

And this is right on the money. It's two-fold too. You can look and go, you have 4 rookies/fringe NHLers in your rotation right there and another guy who is one year removed from being one of the league's worst d-men...that's a lot of pressure on them to perform, right now in big minutes. But in the inverse is true also, that's a lot of pressure on Letang and Orpik to protect leads, to get goals back if we're down...that's literally one of the league's worst defenses right there...it can't win. That'll get goalies traded, coaches fired, the whole deal. That won't work.

I am starting to feel this is the exact reason people want Martin gone...
Rylan
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby mikey287 on Sun Jul 01, 2012 8:27 pm

Some people will root for their favorite team to fail in exchange for being correct 1 in 100 times on a message board. When I knock Pens players, I always hope (and typically say it with the post) I'm wrong. I want Engelland to win a Norris next year and every year and I want everyone I see every day to remind me how wrong I was if it means the Penguins win...some people would rather get some (in)significant detail correct one in a million and watch the team fail...
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby MRandall25 on Sun Jul 01, 2012 8:37 pm

You can't trade Martin unless you can get someone similar in skill level back.

He's not the problem. No clue why everyone wants to move him so fast. You thought the defense was bad with him on it? If you replace him with a rookie, I wouldn't envy Marc-Andre Fleury at all.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Pavel Bure on Sun Jul 01, 2012 10:00 pm

MRandall25 wrote:You can't trade Martin unless you can get someone similar in skill level back.

He's not the problem. No clue why everyone wants to move him so fast. You thought the defense was bad with him on it? If you replace him with a rookie, I wouldn't envy Marc-Andre Fleury at all.

Haven't you heard Morrow is ready to take up the top D position and challenge for a Norris already.
Pavel Bure
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Bunkerman535 on Fri Jul 06, 2012 9:41 am

Not at $5 million. I wouldn't trade Martin straight up for him. Martin has some pedigree Hemsky is never healthy (one year full season), only once hit 70 pts, and scored a grand total of 10 goals last season. He another guy btw who gets considerable power play time in Edmonton he wouldnt see here. Edmonton would love to dump him here.
Bunkerman535

Postby canaan on Fri Jul 06, 2012 11:15 am

bhaw wrote:
HomerPenguin wrote:
bhaw wrote:

Supposedly the conversation already happened but Murray won't deal unless we take back a similar contract.

Technically I believe it he said they had to take back "a schimilaw kcontwackt," but yes.

where is the white knight steelhammer to condemn you guys for joking about a speech impediment?
canaan
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Fri Jul 06, 2012 11:22 am

canaan wrote:
bhaw wrote:
HomerPenguin wrote:
bhaw wrote:

where is the white knight steelhammer to condemn you guys for joking about a speech impediment?

I immediately thought the same thing. Then I assumed maybe I missed the comment because no one had quoted him.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby no name on Fri Jul 06, 2012 11:47 am

MRandall25 wrote:Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

So your saying you might concider it??
no name
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby MRandall25 on Fri Jul 06, 2012 7:01 pm

no name wrote:
MRandall25 wrote:Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

So your saying you might concider it??

No.
MRandall25
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Previous

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins