Eric Tangradi

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Eric Tangradi

Postby GenoMachino71 on Thu Jul 05, 2012 2:54 pm

let's talk Eric Tangradi....

he is one of the most polarizing players on this board.... some people want him to get a shot on the top 2 lines, others see him as a 3rd/4th line player, some dont even want him on the team/dressed

so my question to the board is, if you were in charge of the Penguins, what would you make Tangradi's role on this team for the first 10-15 games of next season if the roster was the same today as it was going into the season?

would you give him a chance on the top 2 lines to finally see if he can ever play there?

would you have him on the 3rd line? 4th line?

would you even have him dressed on game days?

would you want him to get a chance on the top PP unit in front of the net? 2nd PP unit?
GenoMachino71
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Re: Eric Tangradi

Postby IanMoran on Thu Jul 05, 2012 2:55 pm

4th line winger

Have to wait to see open day roster but wouldn't mind him to get some 2nd pp time
IanMoran
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby mikey287 on Thu Jul 05, 2012 2:58 pm

I'd want to see what the roster looks like a little later than 5 days into the offseason and evaluate him in training camp and the preseason...which are designed precisely to figure out where Tangradi fits in and how he looks.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby GenoMachino71 on Thu Jul 05, 2012 3:00 pm

mikey287 wrote:I'd want to see what the roster looks like a little later than 5 days into the offseason and evaluate him in training camp and the preseason...which are designed precisely to figure out where Tangradi fits in and how he looks.

its a hypothetical situation as of today on what you think of him and what you want to see from him.....

its no different from people one week ago projecting Penguins line combos, D-pairings, and PPs if the Penguins signed Parise and/or Suter.... its hypothetical
GenoMachino71
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby offsides on Thu Jul 05, 2012 3:01 pm

Throw in to sweeten a trade.
offsides
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Idoit40fans on Thu Jul 05, 2012 3:02 pm

offsides wrote:Throw in to sweeten a trade.

sweet n low
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby mikey287 on Thu Jul 05, 2012 3:02 pm

Of course it's a hypothetical, what else would it be? And hypothetically, in this hypothetical situation, I wouldn't pigeon-hole a player 3 months before the season starts until I see what he looks like...
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby GenoMachino71 on Thu Jul 05, 2012 3:06 pm

mikey287 wrote:Of course it's a hypothetical, what else would it be? And hypothetically, in this hypothetical situation, I wouldn't pigeon-hole a player 3 months before the season starts until I see what he looks like...

you seem like a really fun person :roll:
GenoMachino71
Junior 'A'
Junior 'A'

Postby knives of ice on Thu Jul 05, 2012 3:09 pm

he's been given more chances to play on the top 2 lines than any player i can remember in recent memory and done absolutely nothing, he clearly has no chance of playing there in my eyes.

i don't think he fits on this team at all personally unless his mindset completely changes and he is set on being a big presence and physical player on the 4th line.
knives of ice
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby pfim on Thu Jul 05, 2012 3:11 pm

He played better towards the end of the year, has to show a lot more to compete for a roster spot.
pfim
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Idoit40fans on Thu Jul 05, 2012 3:13 pm

knives of ice wrote:he's been given more chances to play on the top 2 lines than any player i can remember in recent memory and done absolutely nothing, he clearly has no chance of playing there in my eyes.

i don't think he fits on this team at all personally unless his mindset completely changes and he is set on being a big presence and physical player on the 4th line.

Eh...spot duty isn't a chance. He hasn't been given a chance on the top line. He also hasn't shown he deserves one.
Idoit40fans
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby Mongoose87 on Thu Jul 05, 2012 3:14 pm

He could be a star... in WB/S.
Mongoose87
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby ffemtreed on Thu Jul 05, 2012 3:16 pm

Salary dump. He had his chance last year with all the injuries to shine and prove himself. He failed miserably.
ffemtreed
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby knives of ice on Thu Jul 05, 2012 3:23 pm

Idoit40fans wrote:
knives of ice wrote:he's been given more chances to play on the top 2 lines than any player i can remember in recent memory and done absolutely nothing, he clearly has no chance of playing there in my eyes.

Eh...spot duty isn't a chance. He hasn't been given a chance on the top line. He also hasn't shown he deserves one.

if you get a spot on the top 2 lines starting there over a 2-3 game stretch multiple times i think thats a good chance. sure as hell is a chance no other prospect has received. this has happened multiple times over the past two years with all the injuries we've had. granted its usually starting there and then getting moved down because he does absolutely nothing but its still a chance.

the thing is, if he had the ability to play on the top two lines regardless of where he is playing i think i would have seen a glimpse of that offensive talent up here. i go to every home game i watch this guy closely because i really want him to be good but also because i was pissed he was somehow playing over others i thought were better last year. no doubt he played much better in the playoffs and towards the end of the year but that was mainly because he was more physical.

to me, Dustin Jeffrey has a much better chance of being a top 2 line player. at least we have seen glimpses of offensive talent and upside. if he is healthy. that play in overtime against boston to win the game is more than Tangradi has ever done offensively and that was a skilled play. Jeffrey scored 4 goals in a 15 game span last year and then set out the rest of the year. I've still never been able to figure that out if he was in the doghouse, got hurt again and they said nothing, or what happened.
Last edited by knives of ice on Thu Jul 05, 2012 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
knives of ice
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby mikey287 on Thu Jul 05, 2012 3:25 pm

ffemtreed wrote:Salary dump. He had his chance last year with all the injuries to shine and prove himself. He failed miserably.

He makes like $25 a game, so salary dump is not the term. He never got a chance to show himself considering he only played 11 or more minutes in a game twice last year (12:59 and 14:22). I'm not the type to say "prospects deserve a chance because they're prospects", I'm a "earn your position" guy...but to say he got a chance to shine and failed is just completely false.
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby JoseCuervo on Thu Jul 05, 2012 3:25 pm

I'd have no problem having him on the 3rd-4th line depending on how he has progressed since the end of last season. He really isn't fast enough nor has he shown any scoring ability to play on the top 2 lines (1 goal in 40? games which luckily banked off a defenseman's skate- and yes, he was already given a chance on a scoring line 2 years ago). He has work to do, but he can likely be a cheap contributor on the bottom lines to start this year.
JoseCuervo
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby shmenguin on Thu Jul 05, 2012 3:25 pm

step 1: work your tail off to show that you belong at least as a regular fixture on line 4
step 2: wait for an injury in the top 9. it will happen. early and often.
step 3: if you've done steps 1 and 2, you'll be moving up to the 3rd line at some point.
step 4: you're playing with better players now. take advantage. show a little skill. but remember step 1.

tangradi looked like he started to "get it" in the playoffs, but he needs to come into camp like he has something to prove.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby mikey287 on Thu Jul 05, 2012 3:27 pm

GenoMachino71 wrote:
mikey287 wrote:Of course it's a hypothetical, what else would it be? And hypothetically, in this hypothetical situation, I wouldn't pigeon-hole a player 3 months before the season starts until I see what he looks like...

I'm a blast. I don't know what's wrong with my answer. I would give him a chance to show what he's got in the time allotted for him to show what he's got. Maybe I'm misunderstanding the question?
mikey287
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Kovy27 on Thu Jul 05, 2012 3:28 pm

mikey287 wrote:
GenoMachino71 wrote:

I'm a blast. I don't know what's wrong with my answer. I would give him a chance to show what he's got in the time allotted for him to show what he's got. Maybe I'm misunderstanding the question?

:thumb:
Kovy27
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby RainbowsAndCottonCandy on Thu Jul 05, 2012 3:30 pm

I think we should trade him before others can evaluate him. Let people think he is more than we know him to be!
RainbowsAndCottonCandy
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby DesertPenguin on Thu Jul 05, 2012 3:33 pm

Ive been a Tangradi supporter, but I think its now or never for him to stick with this team at the NHL level.

To me, the improvement in his game that I saw at the end of last year was a result of him finally trying to play a 3rd/4th line type game, instead of trying to flash some first line moves.

The addition of Glass makes it tougher for him to make the team, but I think Tangradis chance is to play the Mike Rupp role this season as a banger with a little skill that can move around the lineup.
DesertPenguin
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby BigMcK on Thu Jul 05, 2012 3:54 pm

So, in other words, Tangradi is the consolation prize for not getting ZP? That's some good ego boosting right there, I tell ya...
BigMcK
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Eismann on Thu Jul 05, 2012 4:12 pm

Dave Roche until proven otherwise.
Eismann
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby tfrizz on Thu Jul 05, 2012 4:13 pm

Let's wait until Tangradi is under contract before we start pencilling him into the lineup :?
tfrizz
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby ffemtreed on Thu Jul 05, 2012 4:19 pm

mikey287 wrote:
ffemtreed wrote:Salary dump. He had his chance last year with all the injuries to shine and prove himself. He failed miserably.

He makes like $25 a game, so salary dump is not the term. He never got a chance to show himself considering he only played 11 or more minutes in a game twice last year (12:59 and 14:22). I'm not the type to say "prospects deserve a chance because they're prospects", I'm a "earn your position" guy...but to say he got a chance to shine and failed is just completely false.

I disagree, the reason why his ice time was limited was because he didn't do well with the limited ice time he was given, he didn't earn the chance for more ice time. He has shown me nothing that he is capable of being a regular in the NHL. His skating isn't up to par, He doesn't make quick decisions, He doesn't position himself properly most of the time, His shot is average, his only real asset is his size which he does use well along the boards, he is good at knocking people off the puck when he is in the right position. I don't know what it is about him be always just seems a second behind everyone else on the ice. It showed a lot last year instead of making the quick outlet pass, he turned his back to the opposing team and ate the puck along the wall and waited for help when we could have been going the other way with the puck. He has 6 points in 42 NHL games, he make over 800K a year, not sure what league min is, but i am sure we can sign someone to do what he does that makes league min.
ffemtreed
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Next

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins