Pick your Development Camp DARKHORSE!!!

Forum for Pittsburgh Penguins-related messages.

Moderators: Three Stars, dagny, pfim, netwolf

Which of these 20 Camp Invitees will surprise and surpass expectations of Pens brass? (Pick 3)

Poll ended at Wed Jul 11, 2012 8:27 am

D'Agostino, Nick
3%
Dumuolin, Brian
19%
Harrington, Scott
7%
Maatta, Olli
5%
McNeill, Reid
No votes
Morrow, Joe
18%
Pouliot, Derrick
4%
Sustr, Andrej
1%
Velischek, Alex
No votes
Agostino, Kenny
3%
Archibald, Josh
1%
Bennett, Beau
11%
Blueger, Teddy
3%
Kuhnhackl, Tom
7%
Marcantuoni, Matia
9%
Payerl, Adam
No votes
Sundqvist, Oskar
1%
Uher, Dominik
5%
Wilson, Scott
1%
Zlobin, Anton
4%

Total votes : 151

Re: Pick your Development Camp DARKHORSE!!!

Postby sil on Tue Jul 10, 2012 9:59 am

meecrofilm wrote:He shouldn't be a "sleeper" but I picked Bennett anyway as one of my three because some people think he's going to suck or something. He's 200 pounds now and has been doing his off-season training with T.R. Goodman, who is one of the best in the country. Real character builder too.

Beau needs to know how to stay in the lineup...i.e. healthy.
sil
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby meecrofilm on Tue Jul 10, 2012 10:05 am

Being in better shape might've cut down the time he had to miss freshman year from hitting that rut in the ice. Nothing you can do about getting your wrist slashed by a teammates skate in practice like sophmore year.

Either way, fitness shouldn't be an issue in that regard anymore. He just needs to work on not being cursed with horrible luck :P
meecrofilm
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Jesse on Tue Jul 10, 2012 10:07 am

steelhammer wrote:Strait/Bortuzzo have AHL experience (were two of the best defenders in the league), NHL regular season experience, and NHL playoff experience. They specialize in playing shutdown roles and that's precisely what the Pens need. You can only have so many fancy skaters and hybrid d-men on a roster. How about we wait to see what Dumoulin looks like against some stiffer completion before we move him up the depth charts? Lots of players with "pedigree" end up getting overwhelmed on the pro leagues.

My point is that I think you're misevaluating the things that Dumoulin is good at. He's extremely adept in front of his own zone and he's a very physical player. He projects as a guy that can pretty much do anything you ask him to. Your initial post seemed to indicate that he was more of an offensive guy that wasn't able to take care of his own end based on the needs you indicated. Very much the opposite for Dumoulin, I'd venture to say he's defense first, actually. You could easily make the argument that Dumoulin can project into a shutdown guy. His body work and gap control are two of the strongest facets to his game.
Jesse
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Jesse on Tue Jul 10, 2012 10:08 am

sil wrote:
meecrofilm wrote:He shouldn't be a "sleeper" but I picked Bennett anyway as one of my three because some people think he's going to suck or something. He's 200 pounds now and has been doing his off-season training with T.R. Goodman, who is one of the best in the country. Real character builder too.

Beau needs to know how to stay in the lineup...i.e. healthy.

Beau needs to dump the roller hockey approach to the game and play like a kid who is currently on an ice hockey team. Size is a part of that, but the dipsy-doodling has to stop. He needs to start skating through guys and initiating contact. This is the biggest concern for me, personally.
Jesse
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby shmenguin on Tue Jul 10, 2012 10:18 am

i don't know anything about anyone, so i'll go with Pouliot - only because it would prove me wrong that we've been drafting too heavy on D.
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby darkstar57 on Tue Jul 10, 2012 10:21 am

On a side note is anyone going to be posting camp updates?
darkstar57
AHL'er
AHL'er

Location: A flute with no holes, is not a flute. A donut with no hole, is a Danish

Postby Froggy on Tue Jul 10, 2012 10:22 am

I'm going all in on the marcantuoni band wagon
Froggy
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby Jesse on Tue Jul 10, 2012 10:30 am

darkstar57 wrote:On a side note is anyone going to be posting camp updates?

I'll be there Friday and Saturday covering everything in and out of the room.
Jesse
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Jesse on Tue Jul 10, 2012 10:30 am

Froggy wrote:I'm going all in on the marcantuoni band wagon

Not a bad place to be at all.
Jesse
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby shmenguin on Tue Jul 10, 2012 10:33 am

froggy's always had a soft spot for italian american prospects. especially if they look like mario lopez
shmenguin
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby DesertPenguin on Tue Jul 10, 2012 10:53 am

Real excited for this camp. 6 defensemen that project to solid NHLers. They probably won't all make it on the Pens but wow, what a back line! Bennett and Kuhnhackl are our only hopes for homegrown top 6 forwards, so I'm really hoping at least one of them shows something.
DesertPenguin
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby tfrizz on Tue Jul 10, 2012 11:05 am

sil wrote:
steelhammer wrote:Strait/Bortuzzo have AHL experience (were two of the best defenders in the league), NHL regular season experience, and NHL playoff experience. They specialize in playing shutdown roles and that's precisely what the Pens need. You can only have so many fancy skaters and hybrid d-men on a roster. How about we wait to see what Dumoulin looks like against some stiffer completion before we move him up the depth charts? Lots of players with "pedigree" end up getting overwhelmed on the pro leagues.

Wait, I thought this was a pick your darkhorse thread based on our estimates of players...waiting to see what they do in camp is precisely part of the equation. ??? Also, I personally wouldn't label Strait a 'shutdown' guy just yet (actually I don't know if I'd label Bortuzzo 'shut down' either), nor would I define Dumoulin as a 'fancy skater.' Brian's a great skater, but he brings a whole lot more to the table. Dumoulin reminds me a lot of Orpik when he was that age...with better offensive upside.

If you're looking for shut down, Harrington's your guy. Kid's a rock in his own end.
tfrizz
AHL Hall of Famer
AHL Hall of Famer

Postby Froggy on Tue Jul 10, 2012 11:08 am

shmenguin wrote:froggy's always had a soft spot for italian american prospects. especially if they look like mario lopez

I don't have any idea what this is in reference to.

all I know about marcantuoni is that he projected as a 1st rounder, but fell because of injury, and that his highlight reel is pretty impressive. Seems to have a high ceiling.

Purely from a 2 min video I watched, quick 1st step, great skater, nice hands. Looks like kind of a puck hog.
Froggy
NHL Fourth Liner
NHL Fourth Liner

Postby steelhammer on Tue Jul 10, 2012 11:14 am

Well one thing is for sure - Marcantuoni will never suffer from lack on confidence. He seems pretty sure of his abilities as he let the media know on multiple occasions after his selection. Also seemed eager to make all the teams that passed on him pay for their (fatal) error.
steelhammer
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Guinness on Tue Jul 10, 2012 11:21 am

steelhammer wrote:Well one thing is for sure - Marcantuoni will never suffer from lack on confidence. He seems pretty sure of his abilities as he let the media know on multiple occasions after his selection. Also seemed eager to make all the teams that passed on him pay for their (fatal) error.

I love hearing this...
Guinness
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby darkstar57 on Tue Jul 10, 2012 11:22 am

Jesse wrote:
darkstar57 wrote:On a side note is anyone going to be posting camp updates?

I'll be there Friday and Saturday covering everything in and out of the room.

Gracias
darkstar57
AHL'er
AHL'er

Location: A flute with no holes, is not a flute. A donut with no hole, is a Danish

Postby meecrofilm on Tue Jul 10, 2012 11:24 am

steelhammer wrote:Well one thing is for sure - Marcantuoni will never suffer from lack on confidence. He seems pretty sure of his abilities as he let the media know on multiple occasions after his selection. Also seemed eager to make all the teams that passed on him pay for their (fatal) error.

It's a good trait to have. Seems to have a pretty positive disposition and is genuinely thrilled to be part of the organization, at least judging by his twitter account.
meecrofilm
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby Guinness on Tue Jul 10, 2012 11:25 am

As of right now, I'm planning on being at the scrimmage on Saturday. I'm pretty excited - I haven't been to the new barn yet, and this will be the boy's first experience with live hockey.
Guinness
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby columbia on Tue Jul 10, 2012 11:26 am

Guinness wrote:As of right now, I'm planning on being at the scrimmage on Saturday. I'm pretty excited - I haven't been to the new barn yet, and this will be the boy's first experience with live hockey.

:thumb:
columbia
NHL Third Liner
NHL Third Liner

Postby sil on Tue Jul 10, 2012 11:27 am

Definitely sounds like someone you want in your system! :thumb:
sil
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby pressure=9Pa on Tue Jul 10, 2012 11:47 am

I picked Bennett, but it's really a curiousity for me more than anything else as I don't have a lot of knowledge of the prospects, nor the talent to project performance from one level to another. His development I think is the one that might dictate the course of our future personnel moves.
pressure=9Pa
AHL All-Star
AHL All-Star

Postby Jesse on Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:09 pm

Marcantuoni said after the draft: "I didn't know where I'd end up, but I knew I'd be a steal wherever it was. I want to make teams regret not drafting me."

You could make the argument that he is the best skater in this draft class. He also has a very Neal-esque wrister that he isn't shy about releasing. It's not as quick but the velocity is there. Also, plays the game in a very Kunitz-esque fashion. One of the reasons he has struggled with injury is because he plays the game with little regard for his own well being. Gotta love that. He's adequate defensively but needs to tone it down sometimes. You aren't going to score coming down the wing every time you have the puck.

We e-mailed a bit after the draft but haven't had a chance for a sit down. I hope to accomplish that on Saturday. Hopefully I'll have interviews with he, D'Agostino, and Maatta posted by Monday.

Zach Boslett from FF will be covering all the days I'll be missing. FF will have coverage for every day that the camp occurs, other than today.
Jesse
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

Postby steelhammer on Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:18 pm

Marcantuoni also had the 2nd highest Wingate test at the combine (re: the most vomit-inducing discipline at the combine). Pretty good for a guy who missed the whole season and is not even close to being in game-shape.

[Yes, I realize he could still train his legs and skate, but you can never be in game shape simply though the training.]
steelhammer
AHL'er
AHL'er

Postby Ossa on Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:24 pm

I don't understand how Brian Dumoulin and Morrow are leading. They're already really good and should be the favorites heading into camp, not darkhorses. Brian Dumoulin was a Hobey Baker finalist for heaven's sake. He isn't coming out of no where, unless you've just recenlty heard of the guy then maybe he'd be considered a darkhorse for some.

If I had to pick a darkhorse I'd have to go with Matia Marcantuoni. Guy is insanely fast and I'm looking forward to see other aspects of his game. I'm not expecting him to make the team by any stretch, but I think he is a guy everyone will be talking about after camp is over.

I could also see Anton Zlobin making some noise at camp. He'll really need to prove himself.
Ossa
ECHL'er
ECHL'er

Postby Jesse on Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:27 pm

Kuhnhackl not attending today and is in question for this week because of an illness, FYI.
Jesse
NHL Healthy Scratch
NHL Healthy Scratch

PreviousNext

Return to Pittsburgh Penguins